Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Sprint Direct Connect beats expectations in key performance measurements

Sprint Direct Connect beats expectations in key performance measurements, outperforms Sprint’s own push to talk “gold standard”

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), February 22, 2012 - Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that recent testing of Sprint Direct Connect – its next generation, broadband push-to-talk service – shows that Sprint has met or exceeded expectations in call setup time, push-to-talk latency and call success rates versus the company’s iDEN-based push-to-talk service.

The results stem from testing performed by a third-party in which more than 76,000 test calls of Sprint’s push-to-talk services were made in 17 markets. Bob Azzi, Sprint senior vice president-Network, said the results are “conclusive validation of Sprint’s sustained push-to-talk leadership.”

Using Sprint’s 3G data network and the company’s enhanced push-to-talk platform, Sprint Direct Connect has consistently delivered reliable, consistent and instant calls, according to tests. With push-to-talk, speed and reliability are everything. Consider the first responder in an emergency situation or salesman who needs to close a sale and needs instant access to voice and data that work all the time. Sprint’s push-to-talk service has proven consistently to be a game changer for customers. And it now comes packed with broadband data capabilities, familiar push-to-talk features, more handsets than its rivals – including military grade phones rated for shock, wind and rain resistance for the toughest work environments and a smartphone – and a broadened push-to-talk coverage map expected later in 2012.

“For years, the gold standard in push-to-talk ran on an iDEN network; now it runs on a broadband CDMA network,” Azzi said. “Sprint Direct Connect’s broadband speeds enable customers to experience the latest in technology applications, such as enterprise business productivity applications, social and multimedia support, and even advanced push-to-X capabilities in the future.”

Entire story here:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_d...5&view_id=6366
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,811
Good article, and I've heard nothing but good things about SDC. However, I'm baffled that Sprint doesn't market this. I've seen or heard nothing and yesterday AT&T advertises that it's pushing a PPT service as well. it appears that Sprint is just Ho-Hum about the entire segment. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know how Sprint is going to recapture the PTT market with the stance its taking.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion125 View Post
Good article, and I've heard nothing but good things about SDC. However, I'm baffled that Sprint doesn't market this. I've seen or heard nothing and yesterday AT&T advertises that it's pushing a PPT service as well. it appears that Sprint is just Ho-Hum about the entire segment. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know how Sprint is going to recapture the PTT market with the stance its taking.
Here is my opinion on the topic. They know they are "killing off" iDEN nextel and really want to make sure their PTT network can handle the traffic like iDEN nextel.

Once they get good "field results" from actual PTT customers,and get network vision built out for more of the US, they will probably start marketing it again.

I don't think its a product that the "average" customer wants. I believe its more a product that businesses want, and select consumer accounts will want it too. It is a product that people will want, just not as much as when Nextel was at its peak. I don't see any advertising in print or on TV about Verizon PTT or AT&T PTT. I believe all carriers will offer it, but it wont be a huge reason for most customers to choose a carrier.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
1) Works great.... IF you are in EVDO. Lots of Nextel coverage is 1XRTT for Sprint... Or roaming now. No SDC.

2) The phones have some issues. Admiral will not connect back to DC after returning from dropping out of EVDO. Gotta toggle Airplane Mode. Duramax sound quality is poor.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
1) Works great.... IF you are in EVDO. Lots of Nextel coverage is 1XRTT for Sprint... Or roaming now. No SDC.

2) The phones have some issues. Admiral will not connect back to DC after returning from dropping out of EVDO. Gotta toggle Airplane Mode. Duramax sound quality is poor.
1) should be corrected once network vision is completed?

2) sounds like something that can be corrected. Obviously having only 2 devices doesn't help for adoption and to encourage better build quality.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Stratos
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 12
I have been with Nextel since the 90's. Basically because most of my customers were on it. We all did the ptt. Although alot have left the network I still need it for the few that are left. I have an i880 flip phone and want to upgrade to the EVO 3D. If I switch this week does the EVO 3D have PTT and will I be able to access all of the old nextel customers or only the ones signed up on the new Sprint PTT.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I have been with Nextel since the 90's. Basically because most of my customers were on it. We all did the ptt. Although alot have left the network I still need it for the few that are left. I have an i880 flip phone and want to upgrade to the EVO 3D. If I switch this week does the EVO 3D have PTT and will I be able to access all of the old nextel customers or only the ones signed up on the new Sprint PTT.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sorry, just noticed your post.

The only devices that will access the "new" PTT service are 2 or 3 I believe. Contact Sprint, I believe they have one "smart" phone to offer you as of now.

That does not mean that Sprint will never support PTT on the 3G/4G devices in the future. They are just not doing it right now.

I believe you can contact any Sprint customer on PTT, including those still on "Nextel" iDEN.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: