Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
kg4icg
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 2,684
Here is my question? Do you want pre-built or do you have any thoughts about BYOPC. 2nd question, I see Cypress, Tx is northwest of Houston which is good. MicroCenter.com which has a store in Houston is a computer persons candy store. I go there often here in Virginia. Currently I am posting from my phone but when I get home in a couple of hours, I can spec up a system for you with links and prices if you don't mind doing a computer project together or a prebuilt if so desired. For starters I am thinking I5-2400 Intel quadcore on a p67 motherboard with 4gb of ddr3-1600 to start with a Nvidia 560 video card, on board sound is built in to the Mb with capabilities of up to 7.1 surround. Dvdrw, is case and power supply which will be under 1 grand. Or you check out www.microcenters.com selection on prebuilt systems in which they carry hp, dell, apple and there own powerspec brand.
kg4icg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
The Red Baron
Formerly known as Red Baron

Phone: Nexus 5
SU$: 9,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
My son's gaming pc kicked the bucket and I want to get him another one. It needs to be under a $1000.00. I know most people will say build it yourself, but let's just skip past that because I don't have the time or inclination for that kind of project right now.

If someone could suggest a decent system (tower only needed) I would appreciate it. He plays Starcraft and Skyrim. It doesn't have to have the fastest fps or be the best, just decent and playable.

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
If that's your criteria, you don't even need $1000. Just head over to Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy or whatever and grab a cheap tower that's not a Celeron (preferably Duel Core or better) for $300 to $400. Grab a video card that cost around $100. If you need more memory, extra 2GB is around $20. I know you said that you don't have time to build from scratch, but popping in a video card or a couple of memory sticks takes less than an hour even if you have no idea what you're doing (more like 10 minutes if you do).

But how old is your son? If he's in Jr. High or higher, you might wanna make it his project instead of yours and tell him to to do his own research on building his own system from scratch. There are no shortages of such guides online and it'll be a learning experience that will help him for the rest of his life. My dad made me do it (under close supervision) when I was in 7th grade and I never had to ask for help fixing my computer since, because I understood what every component in my computer was and how they were supposed to work. And that's when I started to dial into technical BBS (those were the days before the real www) and got me really interested in computers. BTW, I program for living now.

If you don't have time to look over his shoulders closely or don't have the expertise, just post links to his choice of components and I'm sure people here can point out if it's right or wrong choice, or suggest better alternatives. And if all the components are compatible, it's virtually impossible to f up on assembly unless something is defective.
The Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red Baron For This Useful Post:
KTee (02-18-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
thekarens
Bird Watcher

Mood: Brooding
Phone: N5
My Mood: Brooding
SU$: 17,796
I ordered from YPG and I'm very pleased with my choice. The price was very reasonable and it's much better than what I could or would get at Amazon or BB.

The best part is I can always upgrade the components down the road if I like, but it's a good solid system as is.
thekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thekarens For This Useful Post:
YPG (02-09-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
thekarens
Bird Watcher

Well long story short. The original computer had to go back and I ended up buying a multimedia computer as opposed a gaming specific setup. Better specs, same price, much better customer service and warranty.

My son is still able to play all his games on high so he's happy.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
The Red Baron
Formerly known as Red Baron

Phone: Nexus 5
SU$: 9,191
Wait, the one you sent back was from YPG? Why?

And just curious: What and where did you get the current one?
The Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
thekarens
Bird Watcher

I got the current one from HP. They had a killer sale a few days ago online.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > Gadgets & Gaming > Budget gaming PC suggestions needed