Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
T-Mobile Asks FCC to Block Verizon-Cable Deal

T-Mobile USA, which just had its acquisition by AT&T blocked by regulators, is urging the federal government to block another deal in the wireless world: Verizon's planned purchase of spectrum from cable companies for $3.9 billion.

In a filing late Tuesday, T-Mobile USA said the Federal Communications Commission should stop the deal between Verizon Wireless, Comcast Corp., Time Warner Cable Inc., Bright House Networks and Cox Communications because it would place an "excessive concentration" of wireless spectrum in Verizon's hands.

The rest is here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...3#.T0VDfPX-X4s
Old 02-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,811
Good for T-Mobile for standing up for this. I guess Sprint is smarting from all its legal bills from the merger, so its sitting on the sidelines on this one. Too bad T-Mo or Sprint doesn't have the cash to get in on this themselves.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 26,935
I typically wouldn't like government intervention in something like this, but I feel it's necessary in this case. Unless I'm mistaken, Verizon already owns some AWS that they're doing nothing with, so I doubt they'll actually do anything with this AWS spectrum, either. I would have no problem with the deal if Verizon would actually use the spectrum, but it seems that they're just buying it up to keep another carrier from getting it, which is unfair.

With T-Mobile announcing that they'll be using AWS to deploy LTE in 2013, I'd love to see them work out some sort of financing deal to be able to buy this spectrum instead of Verizon.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,811
I think both AT&T and Verizon just want the spectrum to warehaouse it until they really need it (far in the future) and to keep it out of the other carriers hands because they both can afford to do it.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Dan
Forever my Angel

Maybe an fcc rule should be in place to cover 25% of the population within 2 years, 50% within 3 years, etc with the spectrum you buy? The percentages could be adjusted, but carriers wouldn't buy spectrum and just sit on it if that was an fcc rule.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 26,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Maybe an fcc rule should be in place to cover 25% of the population within 2 years, 50% within 3 years, etc with the spectrum you buy? The percentages could be adjusted, but carriers wouldn't buy spectrum and just sit on it if that was an fcc rule.
Sounds like a good plan.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: MoPho 4G
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 13,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah that sounds like it would be a good fcc rule but I know carriers would hate it. I wish there was a way for the fcc to enforce the big carriers like ATT and Verizon who have a ton of spectrum that still have a bunch of spectrum in 2G to try to exhaust those resources first before trying to acquire new spectrum.

I just don't like these big carriers trying to hog up all the spectrum while starving the smaller carriers from competing. I hope the FCC listens to Tmobile and blocks the cable company spectrum purchase.
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

With all of the talk about data networks and the upcoming spectrum crunch, I wonder if the government should do what they did years ago to help increase processing speeds of CPU's to help develop better use of data networks.

It's pretty obvious that unlimited wireless networks are going to all vanish sooner or later, and those that try and remain unlimited will have to "adjust" speeds based on time of the day and network congestion. It's unreasonable to think that we are all going to have LTE devices with "cable like" download speeds and that the carriers will just keep buying more spectrum.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: