Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
theog
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: HTC Arrive
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 5,891
HTC Arrive - Windows Phone 7

I came from a Touch Pro 2 to the arrive around 30+ days ago. I'd have to say, the Arrive is the best phone I've owned so far.

What "makes" this phone?

1. Zune. Zune has to be one of the best deals in music right now. $150 and you listen to all the music you want... download almost everything... all the new titles. You don't own the music, but you listen to everything. I'm turned on to music titles I never would have purchased or even bothered with before. Not to mention the video podcasts, news, etc, etc, etc....

2. Exchange Account (OWA, etc). $6 a month (after beta is over) for Email, Contacts, Calendar, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Sharepoint, and Lync at Office365.com (a microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/offic...-software.aspx ). Exchange is great... although, you will have to pay a one-time fee of $5 to sync your tasks). Oh, did I mention you receive a free professional website with that? Again, a great deal.

3. Sprint free Navigation. I don't use my Garmin any longer. You can import your Outlook contacts directly with telenav... that saves TONS of time.

4. Apps. Adobe Reader, ebay, scoremobile, weather, etc, etc... Live messenger apps works fine.

5. Office... as mentioned in #2...

6. Online access. No more fooling with your computer if you ever had to reset the device (although for the last month, it has been flawless). Get a new device, load your account info, and watch all your contacts, pictures, etc come back. Don't have to sync to a computer.

Other items:

- The keyboard is great. It is large and spacious. The screen keyboard is okay... can't say I'm a fan of any phone with a virtual keyboard (and I've tried most, every OS at least).

- Screen looks great. I actually streamed a Netflix movie and watched it (8mm, I think it was called).

- Sound is great (for a phone).

- It is fast... very fast. No resets, or other issues. No hacking or trying to grab a "mod" in order to make the phone useful.

- Battery life is phenomenal. I'm very surprised at my battery life... I started carrying two batteries when I first got the phone, but now I'm back to one battery. Phone has not let me down yet. Best thing is a tp2 battery will fit or many of the HTC batteries for other phones (getting extra batteries is cheap).

- The UI is very smooth... I like the tile concept.

- The phone will receive a major update later this year. Good for me so far, but the update (mango) will bring extra functions. Functions are: multi-tasking, bing vision/audio, turn by turn maps, and sms dictation, html 5, and a bunch of developer "stuff". (some of this is "rumor").

- Skype integration (you know that is coming).

- Azure support

Negative:

- Does not have true multitask. Although, this is not 100% true... you can listen to music while doing other things on the phone (if you get a call, the music will pause, then restart after you hang up). Multitask for other programs will happen with the mango update.

- Cannot upgrade the micro sd card easily (like a hard drive for those who don't know). While the 16 gb is plenty for the phone... if you want to upgrade, you have to bust the warranty. I did bust my warranty and upgraded to 32 gb. 16 gig is enough, but you have to manage your music/files. 32 is more than enough. I trust the phone will last... great build... hopefully no warranty issues. If so, I'll take the hit.

- Sharepoint does not allow access via the hub yet. This should be fixed before Exchange goes public (in a public beta right now).

- Waiting on mango... no idea how that update will play out. I'm thinking it is going to a slow process. MS says it will be out in the Fall... that could take us until December. I don't think it will be on my arrive as soon as everyone things/hopes. Matter of fact, I'm thinking I'll have to purchase a new device with Mango already on it to have it sooner. Maybe I'm wrong, don't know.

Final words:

Great phone right now... if you like zune, exchange, apps, office, navigation, and cloud services. If you are stuck in the past and want something like Win Mob 6, go someplace else -- go live in the past. The Arrive is about the present and future.

Last edited by theog; 05-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theog For This Useful Post:
cherrywithns (08-26-2011), jynx79 (12-06-2011), tbakergobuck (05-14-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
theog
Cordless Phone User

I left out the "games" section. The phone does hook into the xbox some way.

I'm not a gamer... I play chess all the time on the phone, but that is hardly a "game".

I simply don't know about the games... they look nice but I've not played any of them. The free chess games work GREAT! lol

GPS on the phone is instant. Matter of fact, it is faster than my garmin (much faster).

The camera is okay. Again, I'm not a camera person. The few pictures I've taken came out fine -- good enough that I did not complain.

HTC has some great free apps on the phone. Best one is hidden wifi. For some odd reason you can't hook up to hidden wifi on the phone... must use the app. MS explained why, but it made little sense.

The txt messages only go to 160. After that, you must create a new message. I like it since my messages don't arrive out of order. Other people don't since you have to create new messages. Think this is going to be fixed... even if I don't want it fixed.
*My posts on this site are not reflective of me, my job, or anything else in the universe. Like every other self-important person on this site, I post from outside the universe. To be clear: Sprint (the company) did not make me post this.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
theog
Cordless Phone User

Thought I'd post my final thought after Mango...

Well, you can now post more than 160 characters.

I've played many of the games, and they are okay. Played one "birds" knockoff and it was fun. One kunfoo game, and it was fun. I still play mostly chess.

Sync is greatly improved. Now I can sync most things with skydrive. If I don't have an internet connection, it will save the file for upload until later.

Battery life and ui are still great/smooth.

Office 365 did not work for me. Much as I hate to say it, gmail (for domains) works for me right now. I never could get hotmail for domains to work either... I have gmail and it works (even if I hate to type that).

I tested sharepoint while testing office365... it worked great. No issues. Although, unless you have many groups, I did not see a reason to use sharepoint over skydrive. I feel there is more MS could have offered or sharepoint (or 365 as a whole) is missing something.

Office 365 is missing the link for "advanced users". Maybe not those with a huge biz, but those of us with a small biz and money to spend. I see no reason to go office365.

Arrive itself is a fine device, if you want to upgrade to 32 gb yourself. I can't see having a device like this and stuck to 16 gb... hopefully makers come out with micro sd slots.

Overall, WinPhone 7 is an excellent device. I love it. I'm thinking of a moto xprt but not made that move. Even if I did, wp7 and zune would keep me close.

Zune is the best music deal ever launched. $150 for unlimited downloaded music? Really? Crazy price.

Phone, music, games, and a great OS... best deal on Sprint, when you think about it.
*My posts on this site are not reflective of me, my job, or anything else in the universe. Like every other self-important person on this site, I post from outside the universe. To be clear: Sprint (the company) did not make me post this.

Last edited by theog; 11-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to theog For This Useful Post:
jynx79 (12-06-2011)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Phone Reviews > HTC Arrive - Windows Phone 7