Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #121
pegb856
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 1,737
I picked up a Shift last week and had it only 7 hours before returning and exchanging for an Evo. Here is my take on the device.

First thing that I noticed was the screen was unresponsive when my hands were cold, something that I had not experienced with the Moment, Hero, Pre or Optimus. (BTW, if the Optimus had more App Memory I would still have it, it's a fantastic little device) The slider mechanism had no resistance or spring to it, allowing the keyboard to to slide out easily and not remain seated tightly when closed. I feel the keyboard it's self is fine but the slider had way too much play in it which makes me think it will eventually have the "oreo effect" that so many Pre owners experienced.

The volume rocker button is horribly placed and I kept adjusting the volume when I didn't want to. The power button is awkwardly designed but so is the Evo's.

The 1st call I made with the Shift it told me I was on US cellular and needed to dial something special to dial out (my 3G signal had turned to a roaming triangle), it seemed to not have a very strong signal. Not by how many bars I had but by the performance in my home compared to other devices I've had.

The device felt heavier in the hand than the Evo does (they only weigh 1/10th ounce different). I have found this with almost all devices with a slide out physical keyboard, they just have that clunky feeling to me and since I had no real desire to use the physical keyboard anyway it was an unnecessary annoyance. I bought the device for the screen size and price, if Sprint had a high end non keyboard Android device in the 3.5-4" screen range I'd be all over it.

Just remember, these are only my personal impressions and feelings about the Shift. Overall I was just very disappointed with the design of the Shift and choose to bite the big one a swap it for the Evo and so far I am not regretting it. My only complaint with the Evo is that the power botton doesn't have a very tactile feel and its hard to find when not looking at the device. I use Swype and it works wonderfully on the Evo but it wouldn't work properly on the shift.

I'm sure many of these things that were issues for me will not bother many people, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and more often than not what is perfect in my mind is not so for others. :-) The Shift just wasn't the one for me.
pegb856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #122
JonnyGTO
Two Cans & String User

Phone: EVO Shift
SU$: 23
In the past year I have gone from a BB curve to a touch pro, to a hero, to an evo, and now I have the shift. After only having it for a week now it is by far the fastest phone that I have had.

The long press of the home screen just seems to "snap" from one thing to another without any type of lag, so when im copying a link from the internet and sending it in a message and posting it to twitter it takes only seconds to go from one thing to the next, not even the evo could keep up with it.

As far as the reception goes I live in the suburbs of Detroit and have not had one issue, I have made a trip to chicago already and did not lose reception one time. Now there is no 4g in my area yet, but I am hoping there will be soon.

My question is, has anyone rooted their phone, im thinking if i keep this phone i will root it but i want to know if anyone has had any issues trying to root it or issues after they had rooted it. Just let me know
JonnyGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #123
coffenika
Telegraph User

Phone: pm8200
SU$: 313
Send a message via AIM to coffenika
I played with the shift in the Sprint Store for about an hour before I bought oit. My mind was already made up when I went in there to get it. My BB Tour was acting up and I was tired of taking it to the repair shop, so I opted for the Shift. Two Thumbs up so far. My three year old likes it, because she can play bad birds (angry birds) by herself. She needs no help to get to the app.
coffenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #124
VDubb
The Guru

Mood: Amused
Phone: iPhone 5
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 36,458
Just ordered one for my mom. Seems like a solid device.

- VDubb
Old 03-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #125
hotis300boy
Cordless Phone User

Phone: EVO 4g
SU$: 5,401
Send a message via AIM to hotis300boy
I had an EVO, loved it, than got the EPIC cause of they keyboard and LOVE IT except two main HUGE flaws, call waiting and grouped contacts, which is why I am considering the Shift but I would would lose so much AHHHHHHHH
hotis300boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #126
vodeneal
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG Connect 4G
Trades: 1
SU$: 522
Send a message via AIM to vodeneal Send a message via Yahoo to vodeneal
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffenika View Post
I played with the shift in the Sprint Store for about an hour before I bought oit. My mind was already made up when I went in there to get it. My BB Tour was acting up and I was tired of taking it to the repair shop, so I opted for the Shift. Two Thumbs up so far. My three year old likes it, because she can play bad birds (angry birds) by herself. She needs no help to get to the app.
Ha ha, my now 4 yr old knows how to navigate to Angry Birds and a cool home run derby type game I found on the market. I got him a kids game, but he doesn't care for it. He even taught my wife how to find it on hers.
vodeneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #127
hydra747
Telegraph User

SU$: 109
I got it after the Lotus (clam).....and this shift reminded me of the "Rumor"....or...."Rant"..........

Until I rooted and modified and tweaked and deleted and installed bla bla bla bla bla!

Best FONE I ever had in my lifetime so far!!!!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I love the new 3500 M BATT that I bought for it....stays charged all day....
hydra747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > The official: I got my SHIFT first Impressions thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: