Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
GeezerB
Telephone User

Phone: EVO 4LTE
SU$: 523
Sense Rebooting Problem

If they don't fix this Sense reboot issue soon I am going to move to the new Iphone 5. I've almost had enough of this HTC crap. It's a shame a high quality, high end phone can't work as designed. I do love the Android OS but enough is enough.
GeezerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Mood: Twisted
Phone: AT&T NOTE3
My Mood: Twisted
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Euphorian
Getting a better ROM fixed that issue for me.
Did you try that ?
Euphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
GeezerB
Telephone User

I could do that, but what about the other thousands of users that don't read the forums? If I was a Sprint salesman, I would steer everyone clear of this model even though it was a high profile phone as seen in almost every ad & commercial.
Yes I am bitter & it's a shame, as this was my first smart phone.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
GeezerB
Telephone User

What rom should I use? Can I return it to stock in the future? Maybe you should point me to the correct forum (XDA?)
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerB View Post
I could do that, but what about the other thousands of users that don't read the forums? If I was a Sprint salesman, I would steer everyone clear of this model even though it was a high profile phone as seen in almost every ad & commercial.
Yes I am bitter & it's a shame, as this was my first smart phone.
True.
Although I have an Ipod touch and it still has it`s glitches
and freezes up from time to time.

No cell phone is perfect like the manufacturers proclaim.

It`s a computer and it can`t think like the human mind.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
What rom should I use? Can I return it to stock in the future? Maybe you should point me to the correct forum (XDA?)
I`m really not sure with the EVO SHIFT .
Hopefully someone else will chime in and
help you out in that specific area ..

Also if you back up your current ROM -
you will be able to return to it in the future.

Last edited by Euphorian; 08-25-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
mars6277
Telegraph User

Phone: htc evo shift
SU$: 494
I never rooted my phone (paranoid I'll screw it up) but once 2.3 came out & sense started the reboot issue, I switched over to go launcher instead. Was only supposed to be until they fixed sense, but its been so long & I actually have grown to really like it, their themes, widgets, etc. So another fix could be maybe skipping sense all together? At least until its fixed? (Whenever that might be...)
mars6277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
GeezerB
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars6277 View Post
I never rooted my phone (paranoid I'll screw it up) but once 2.3 came out & sense started the reboot issue, I switched over to go launcher instead. Was only supposed to be until they fixed sense, but its been so long & I actually have grown to really like it, their themes, widgets, etc. So another fix could be maybe skipping sense all together? At least until its fixed? (Whenever that might be...)
Thanks, I installed it & will give it a try. Wish it would import my Sense layout to save me hours of setup . Do you know how to returm Sense as the default for the home button?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
If you merely want to fix the Sense reboot problem, you need not install different firmware. You can gain root access, even temporarily, and then write one line to a file.

Here is the thread to acquire temp root on an Evo Shift running Android 2.3.

Once you have root, even temporarily, here is how to lock the Home screen in memory so it won't continually re-initialize itself:
---
Issue the command "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop" and reboot, to lock home screen in memory.
---

In order to take effect, this command requires a full reboot (remove and reinsert the battery). This full reboot will lose your temporary root, but that's OK--the new /data/local.prop file will remain.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:
dwfick (10-10-2011), GeezerB (09-13-2011), jwbbccp (07-18-2012), kjjm (10-06-2011), mikejeep (09-07-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
SixxT9
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC hero
SU$: 3,806
Send a message via AIM to SixxT9
I'm running supreme sense from XDA. I will say do not load a bunch of widgets and it will cause the phone to have the reboot issue. Also when you first boot everything up load your sense based widgets first. I don't know why but once you have a few widgets running it takes up alot of memory and will not let you apply any more sense widgets.

I think that sense 2.1 was kinda forced on the shift. I know with 3.0 its loaded onto phones with better processors and more ram which allows it to work smoother.
SixxT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
mars6277
Telegraph User

Phone: htc evo shift
SU$: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerB

Thanks, I installed it & will give it a try. Wish it would import my Sense layout to save me hours of setup . Do you know how to returm Sense as the default for the home button?
Hi! Yes it was a bit annoying to reset my layout & home screens & such, but not dealing with sense rebooting makes it worth it! As for making sense your default again, you'd have to go to settings, manage applications, and clear the default setting for go launcher (or whatever home app you use) and when you click home, it will pop up asking which app you want to use, and you click sense, go launcher, whatever but it will also have the check box to set which ever you choose as the default. Its a lot less complicated than I'm making it sound I'm sure. I'm horrible at explaining things sorry!
mars6277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
mikejeep
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC EVO Shift
SU$: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
If you merely want to fix the Sense reboot problem, you need not install different firmware. You can gain root access, even temporarily, and then write one line to a file.

Once you have root, even temporarily, here is how to lock the Home screen in memory so it won't continually re-initialize itself:
---
Issue the command "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop" and reboot, to lock home screen in memory.
---

In order to take effect, this command requires a full reboot (remove and reinsert the battery). This full reboot will lose your temporary root, but that's OK--the new /data/local.prop file will remain.
Wow... thank you SO much! Lately Sense has been rebooting nearly every time I exit an app, driving me crazy. Your fix worked perfectly, haven't had a reboot since, and I swear Sense is more responsive in general as well. I have never done any developing for Android and I'm new to rooting, but is there any way to make that small fix some kind of patch or even an app? I'm sure thousands of people would love to have that fix applied, and HTC doesn't seem to be in a rush to correct it...
mikejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
GeezerB
Telephone User

If you are the least bit competent with a command prompt & can copy/paste, you should try the suggested method to temp root & lock Home screen as lgmayka suggested. I was able to do it & all my reboot problems have vanished. Shame HTC can't set this up for everyone as it is quite a small piece of code. Well, I'm happy again.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
franzbrandi
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post

---
---

Hi! I'm very happy someone found a fix for the Sense crashing problem.
My device is a Desire Z running android 2.3.3. Is it possible to use the same fix described here? What are the risks? I don't want to make a mess, like phone no more working or something...
Thanks!
franzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
SixxT9
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC hero
SU$: 3,806
Send a message via AIM to SixxT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzbrandi View Post
Hi! I'm very happy someone found a fix for the Sense crashing problem.
My device is a Desire Z running android 2.3.3. Is it possible to use the same fix described here? What are the risks? I don't want to make a mess, like phone no more working or something...
Thanks!
I wouldn't advise using the same method as something might happen. I would try and find a fix that was made for the desire.
SixxT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > Sense Rebooting Problem

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: