Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
IFORGIT
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
SU$: 1,570
Thanks for the quick response on here duffman. I was trying to figure out the difference between the 250 and the 600, looks like there's not much to me. I also looked into that external antenna but looks like they only have 3g antennas and no 4g ones yet. After looking into devices a bit more the Sprint 4G Desktop Modem CPEi25150 by Motorola gets some decent feedback. Although some have said it doesn't work with youtube/netflix and others say it has. Do you have any experience with this device, it looks like it is what we are looking for....something to replace our cable modem.
IFORGIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
IFORGIT
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
SU$: 1,570
Well I guess I didn't do my own due diligence. How funny, I do a search for the Motorola device in google and there sits a review just posted yesterday of this device on our own boards. Sounds exactly like what I was looking for...a replacement for the cable modem.

I'm a little upset that it doesn't come with wifi built in and that it is ONLY 3G, but with a solid signal it doesn't sound like we need the 3G anyway.

Here's a link to the review http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=215246
IFORGIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
masimons
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 29
Did the update couple days ago, can't really say I notice a difference.
When booting up, it still says update available, already its already down. (did it via download to my notebook, then to overdrive).

Don't have overheat/reboot issues, my pet peeve is that freakin button for startup.
Screen display switches between charging (>90%), do you want to connect, etc. Seems like have to keep clicking or holding down the blamed button for minutes.

(then of course, when I visit D.C., Atl, Boise getting 4G, then go back to SAN with 3G is a bummer)

Note to Sprint, have firmware option, or just make it so when external power applied it automatically connects !!!!!!

Last edited by masimons; 12-13-2010 at 01:01 PM.
masimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
eiloo
Telegraph User

SU$: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Get a 250U or U600, a Cradlepoint router and an external antenna from 3gstore.com.

The Overdrive sucks IMO.
Hi DuffMan,

Any thoughts on a good router to choose? Looking at EVDOForums CTR500 doesn't switch well between 3G and 4G. Not sure about the others.
eiloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #20
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiloo

Hi DuffMan,

Any thoughts on a good router to choose? Looking at EVDOForums CTR500 doesn't switch well between 3G and 4G. Not sure about the others.
No opinion as I have not used one nor support them at work (other than minor stuff). EVDOforums is your best bet.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
beaner
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Get a 250U or U600, a Cradlepoint router and an external antenna from 3gstore.com.

The Overdrive sucks IMO.
I disagree, but only because the Overdrive works pretty well for my needs. I've had it since February 2010 and use it as home internet. However, it's also nice to throw one small piece of equipment in my briefcase when I'm on the road and have internet access in the car, hotel room, etc.

For my home use, I don't do anything like movie streaming or online gaming - although the Overdrive does quite well with videos from youtube and news channels. I sure do notice a difference when the Overdrive switches to 3G, even for regular goofing around on the internet - and that makes the Overdrive far better than what I had before (the Sprint Mi-Fi and also one of the older 3G USB units).

If you're just looking for home internet, then I'm sure the USB units along with a router and antenna would work better, but if you just want home internet then get regular home internet. The great thing about the Overdrive is its portability and ease of use.

The Overdrive does have some drawbacks that have been pointed out here, so it's up to the individual user to decide if they can deal with those. For example, my Overdrive heats up (and shuts down) if I run it on battery power in 4G for more than 30 minutes or so. That's not much of a problem since when I'm in the car I just switch it to 3G only since there aren't many places where you'll have a 4G signal for a full 30 minutes of driving anyway. The latest firmware update seems to have actually made this problem worse though.

Another issue is the very low signal it gets in 4G. In the same spot in my house, I'll get 80% in 3G but 20%-40% in 4G. Again, that's not much of an issue because I was able to find a few spots in my house that get a decent (40%) 4G signal most of the time. However, it was a pain at first. But if one gets the Overdrive and can't find anywhere in their house with a 40% signal, return the thing right away or you'll constantly battle with it.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
webwevers
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 1,035
Ever since I updated the firmare to v 2.23.01 I have terrible upload and download speeds. Last time I checked it was 0.32 download and 0.07 upload.
Using my evo as a hotspot in the same location I get 1.21 download and 0.51 upload speeds. Seems like the firmare update messed up the overdrive. I have called sprint but all they say is take it to a repair center and pay 35.00 and if it needs replaced they fix it. I have only had it for not even a full year! Thinking about just getting a usb card and a cradlepoint router.
webwevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
webwevers
Telephone User

[QUOTE=Engineer;2451413]Get a 250U or U600, a Cradlepoint router and an external antenna from 3gstore.com.

Hi Duffman, looking to get the U600 and a Cradlepoint router, which router for home use? Thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Duffman
Eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwevers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Hi Duffman, looking to get the U600 and a Cradlepoint router, which router for home use? Thanks
I am no expert, but there are several compatible routers at 3Gstore.com. However, the problem is going to be the antenna and connector to the port on the card. I have not been able to find a connector that will connect for sure. http://www.rfwel.com/ has a lot of good information.

One thing to remember, an external antenna will only help you if you have decent outdoor coverage and are suffering from indoor penetration.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
beaner
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Ever since I updated the firmare to v 2.23.01 I have terrible upload and download speeds. Last time I checked it was 0.32 download and 0.07 upload.
Using my evo as a hotspot in the same location I get 1.21 download and 0.51 upload speeds. Seems like the firmare update messed up the overdrive. I have called sprint but all they say is take it to a repair center and pay 35.00 and if it needs replaced they fix it. I have only had it for not even a full year! Thinking about just getting a usb card and a cradlepoint router.
Grrrrrr.... This happened to me as well. I guess that's what I get for singing the praises of this thing earlier in this thread.

I had updated the firmware not too long ago and noticed a drop in the 4G speeds. Then, starting last Friday, the device won't hold a 4G signal for more than 20 or 30 minutes.

Anyway to roll back the firmware?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
webwevers
Telephone User

I was told that it cannot be undone. I really enjoyed the device before the update. I was told to take it in and they will replace it after paying $35.00 to have it looked at. The Sprint repair shop here said it would take them 1 to 2 weeks to look at it and then another week to order a new unit. I am almost up for a new device so am looking at other options.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #27
beaner
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
I was told that it cannot be undone. I really enjoyed the device before the update. I was told to take it in and they will replace it after paying $35.00 to have it looked at. The Sprint repair shop here said it would take them 1 to 2 weeks to look at it and then another week to order a new unit. I am almost up for a new device so am looking at other options.
I did some searching and found you can download the previous firmware release here: http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3241/64/.

Then go into the overdrive advanced settings (same place you download the normal updated) and there's a "browse" button to upload firmware.

I finished doing this about 40 minutes ago. The overdrive dropped the 4G signal after about 30 minutes, just as it does with the newest firmware release. Hopefully you'll have better luck with it.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
Duffman
Eh.

The firmware has fixed plenty of my customers' issues. But the damn device is still a lemon IMO. It just has lousy design. I think some VP said "I want you to create a hotspot and fit it in this cool little box I found".
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #29
beaner
Two Cans & String User

I went back to the new firmware since the older version was just as bad. My Overdrive still takes a few minutes to lock onto a 4G signal and only holds that signal for about 30 minutes. Then it just stops, even though the device still says it's connected.

I got in touch with Sprint about this and they say they've had some intermittent 4G outages for about the last week and a half, which coincides with when my device started really sucking. However, Sprint has no idea when this will get fixed and I am not fully convinced that that is the issue. I still think it's an Overdrive issue. Sprint refuses to try to help with this. I'm thinking I need to switch back to my WiFi (which works better than my Overdrive on 3G), then switch back to my Overdrive, step on the device, and get a replacement. That's the only way to get Sprint to do something, even though something is clearly wrong with my device or service.

And my regular sprint signal for my phone has gotten worse in my home over the last few weeks. Luckily I can just force it to roam when at home. But geez, Sprint is really pissing me off.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > 3G/4G Data Connection Devices > Firmware Update 2.23.01 for Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: