Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #226
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 7,880
I put a Touch Pro on CL for $180, not TP2 but TP1. And got 5 buyers with in hours.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #227
bkrodgers
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by kan555 View Post
I see lots of deals on Craigslist too but hardly see one for Sprint. Can I get TP2 from US Cellular or Verizon and use it on Sprint Network? Hope the answer is yes. Thanks.
No, Sprint doesn't allow anything that's not branded as a Sprint phone to be activated on their network (even if it's technically compatible).

I'll have a well-cared for TP2 up for sale as soon as my upgrade date hits on Sept 1, especially if they lift the SERO restriction!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #228
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

They may do it for Android. Google and HTC are like look we have given you the best device, your numbers are not good sell more devices or else.

Also it benefits Sprint they need customers on 4G they need to sell product to make Google and HTC happy.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #229
bkrodgers
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
You forgot one option.

4. Get an HTC Touch off eBay and remove WM and install Android Froyo. Google xda. It's the cheapest way to use Android phone on any carriers in US.
I've got a Touch still from back in the day that I never got rid of. I pulled it out and put Android on it (just using haret for now). It seems to run pretty well (I haven't tried an ESN swap yet though, so no data means I can't do much with it yet). The thing is though...I don't see how I can go back to such a small and lo-res screen after the TP1/TP2 the last 2 years. The button mapping doesn't feel right either...camera button as a back button feels wrong.

Now, if they ever get the TP2 Android port working fully, that will be KILLER. I've played with it and it works really well for as far as they've taken it. Unfortunately, lack of speaker (no ringtones, no speakerphone), Bluetooth, and camera are all keeping it from being a full time Android device for me. It'd still be missing a lot of things I want (multitouch, faster processor, more memory), but if they got all of the features working, I could see myself sticking with TP2Android + SERO for awhile.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #230
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

I went from the HTC Touch, to the HTC Diamond, with the rubberized red back which was awesome. Still love the Diamond, great phone. Then the Touch Pro which was great. And now the Touch Pro 2 which is a huge leap because of the screen size.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #231
Hemond
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Viper
Trades: 2
SU$: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
At the risk of asking the obvious, have you tried Craigslist? Here in Philly, TP2s are selling (or at least are offered) anywhere from $150-350.
Yeah, I do a 250 mile Craigslist search for new TP2 all the time but the pickings are extremely slim. Mostly used phones. Occasionally a new one. I'm really only interested in a new one. There are plenty of new ones on ebay but the going price is $275 and up.

I'll just stick to my current phone as I'm simply not spending $275 on a phone. If and when a deal comes up, then I'll go for it, in no hurry here. If no deal comes up then it wasn't meant to be.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #232
OGGrey
Telephone User

Mood: Fine
Phone: Mogul
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemySanyos View Post
Easy tiger. They didn't lose a sale. In fact, they are making money hand over fist with us out of contract SERO folks who are waiting on them to lift the restrictions. Remember, a new contract and phone means that a portion of your monthly plan costs goes to subsidize the price of the phone. Those of us with dinosaurs have virtually zero going to subsidize the phone. So, i think sprint is happy, thank you very much, with us sitting tight and putting nearly a 100% of each payment towards their services, not towards paying off phones. They will lose us ONLY if we go to another carrier and abandon our SERO's.

All I'm saying is let's not think that the risk is bigger than it is. For "wbleam", they haven't lost a sale yet. he's still with them, still paying for SERO, still with his "old" phone.

If they didn't have the restrictions I would probably dump my Mogul for an Evo and they'd be getting 10 bucks more a month from me, 240 over life of contract. My contract expired last December so if we threw the Evo into the equation they made an additional 70 off of me and I'm going on 8 months OOC.

My question is: Even though they are subsidizing the phones you're meaning to tell me that they're still not making some in the sale of equipment? I find that hard to believe. To me (and I have always felt this way) some of the subsidy is nothing more than a ploy. "Sure we'll hook you up on a phone for cheap but lock you down for 2 years." Also, this alleviates sticker shock because most people aren't going to drop 549.00 dollars for a Mogul. (Back then I believe that was full price.) If you don't sign a contract we're going to charge you out the arse for whatever phone you buy. The "Free" phones are a good example. There are 5 of them listed for nothing if you sign for 2 years but if you don't they cost more than an iPhone subsidized. I'm calling BS. So by this logic at the end of my contract sprint only made 171.00 dollars from me at the end of two years? I'm doing base plan no taxes on the 30 dollar sero. 30*24 ='s 720 - 549.00 (Full Mogul pricing) is a whopping 171.00 dollars at the EOC.

I paid 226.00 bucks for my Mogul and say for example I canceled right after my 30 day evaluation period was up. I just started a 30.00 dollar SERO got the phone for 226 + 200 ETF figures to 426. 549.00 - 426.00 is still a 123.00 dollar swing. If ya knocked off the 30.00 for the plan then were down to a 93 dollar difference in Sprint's lap. Still seems like a hell of a loss on Sprint's side of things. Now I have a phone that I can sell and recoup some of my losses.
The full pricing for any of these phones is so inflated I bet that it's like buying a used car.

This is all just thoughts of course.

Sprint could have made more from me and all the legacy customers by now had they allowed people to upgrade phones. Especially the people that want to get the Evo and contribute to the EvoBucks program. The excuse that "your plan isn't compatible" is BS too. Data is Data no matter how you slice it. It's the system that is incompatible or another ploy to pull in more $$, I prefer the latter.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #233
jtnet
Telegraph User

Phone: scp-6200
SU$: 171
i dont see it changing unless there is some kind of shakeup or event that happens. example sprint allows winmo 7 on sero and winmo 7 becomes popular, they will forget about the android thing. or the "newness" of andriod and the evo wears off and they drop the 10$ a month charge. tmobile and sprint merge http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/13/s...erger-if-they/ . or the touch pro2 is discontinued or replaced or a carrier starts a new minutes / data tier and other adjust to match. Their system need to be shaken up for the status quo to change and updated to allow all phones.

untill then i have to suffer with my palm treo pro . over my dead body am i dropping sero.

Last edited by jtnet; 07-14-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #234
LovemySanyos
Telegraph User

SU$: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGGrey View Post

My question is: Even though they are subsidizing the phones you're meaning to tell me that they're still not making some in the sale of equipment? I find that hard to believe. To me (and I have always felt this way) some of the subsidy is nothing more than a ploy. "Sure we'll hook you up on a phone for cheap but lock you down for 2 years." Also, this alleviates sticker shock because most people aren't going to drop 549.00 dollars for a Mogul. (Back then I believe that was full price.) If you don't sign a contract we're going to charge you out the arse for whatever phone you buy. The "Free" phones are a good example. There are 5 of them listed for nothing if you sign for 2 years but if you don't they cost more than an iPhone subsidized. I'm calling BS. So by this logic at the end of my contract sprint only made 171.00 dollars from me at the end of two years? I'm doing base plan no taxes on the 30 dollar sero. 30*24 ='s 720 - 549.00 (Full Mogul pricing) is a whopping 171.00 dollars at the EOC.
Of course they are. But they get to make even more money once you're out of contract.

Once you are out of contract, what was the subsidy is pure profit. They've already made their money at that point and anything else is gravy.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #235
neogeek
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Touch
SU$: 744
I think there are a few more factors to consider. The statistical probability that a user that is out of contract will leave and move to a different carrier is different then that of a user that is in contract. While I don't know the values of either, Sprint might be seeing an exodus of people leaving and linking alot of those contracts to SERO.

I see people on the forums here that are justifying cheaper plans on ATT that allow the use of iPhones when the best we can get is a lousy TP2.

Also subsidy prices may be misleading. that subsidy price is based on consumer pricing. Sprint is not loosing 150 dollars when I sign up for another two years. It is most likely much less.

so lets say for kicks the difference really is 50 dollars towards subsidizing, then factor in the amount of people who are leaving to another contract vs eating the 50 dollar subsidy and locking people on for another 2 years even if it is only at 30 dollars a month.

LovemySanyos: You bring up a very valid point with pure profit, and you do confirm that it is only valid if you stick with sprint, but sprint dosn't know that after your 8 months of being out of contract you will want to jump ship and go with a different carrier.

I think this is why they also offer the 70 dollar service credit for a two year extension.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #236
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

Also later on down the line. Verizon is getting the iPhone 4 (after Apple recalls it because of the antenna problems) Jan 2011.

*How is that relevant to this Sprint conversation crazy person*

Imagine of and when because its when now when Sprint gets the iPhone, will Sprint ignore, its 46 Million customer base. Or just rely on a paltry 3 Million on Simply Everything Plans. To pick it up.

Yes with every new "must have" device Sprint does peel away a handful from its 46 Million Legacy Plans.

How long can they keep that up?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #237
bkrodgers
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeek View Post
I think there are a few more factors to consider. The statistical probability that a user that is out of contract will leave and move to a different carrier is different then that of a user that is in contract. While I don't know the values of either, Sprint might be seeing an exodus of people leaving and linking alot of those contracts to SERO.
The contract angle is an interesting thing to consider. There are a lot of customers who probably signed new 2 year contracts back when the TP1 came out in late October 2008. People who bought the TP1 are coming up at the end of their contract later this year. There's a handful of early adopters who signed before pro-rated ETFs went into effect November 2. (I'm one of them. Wish I knew.) Even for those who didn't though, even a pro-rated ETF might be enough to keep them put. And TP2 purchasers still would have a year left (not counting those who got moved to the TP2 free, such as myself), so their ETFs are still over $100.

Back when the TP1 came out, it seemed far more competitive (despite the eventual problems that would come out). Android was new, iPhone had only recently come out with a 3G version with app support, and HTC's customizations on WM seemed fresh enough. Even when the TP2 came out, Android was still young, and plenty of people didn't want to go the AT&T route. Things have changed very quickly though, and as contracts start to expire, Sprint might start to see more of the exodus you mention. Those customers came to Sprint when they were competing on price. With Sprint no longer the clear winner on price, and with Sprint not really offering any carrots to stay with them, it remains to be seen how they do retaining and converting them.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #238
qtrim
Telegraph User

Phone: PPC6700
SU$: 232
You nailed my situation exactly. My Sero contract on the TP1 doesn't expire until October, but I just bought an iPhone 4 with a new number on AT&T. I may keep the TP1 and use it as a hotspot exclusively, for $30 a month, why not? But if that goes away, so do I.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #239
OGGrey
Telephone User

Mood: Fine
Phone: Mogul
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemySanyos View Post
Of course they are. But they get to make even more money once you're out of contract.

Once you are out of contract, what was the subsidy is pure profit. They've already made their money at that point and anything else is gravy.
Yeah, and they can have the gravy because that's what they are there for but I am going to do my level best to give them a smaller ladle.

My only other thought on this is that the longer I keep my phone the "cheaper" the phone gets. In other words, yes I paid 226 bucks for it but as time goes on the price per month for owning the phone goes down. Over the 24 month contract my phone cost me 9.42 a month.

As it stands now I'm OOC at 31 months which drives that monthly figure down to 7.29. The longer I hold off on buying a new phone: it saves me money, Sprint can't lock me in for another 2 years, Sprint loses out on the sale of a unit, potential plan add-ons, potential accessory purchases, and all the while I continue to cruise on one of the best deals in wireless because after all phone service is what I'm after for the cheapest price.

I would have upgraded by now if there weren't restrictions on SERO because I want a "smarter" phone than my Mogul and an Android or iPhone would be more up my alley. I'd probably prefer an EVO (haven't played with one yet) as it would keep me with Sprint. I have no plans on leaving Sprint anytime soon but as time goes on and I get the "phone bug" it could sway me to change my plan or leave but price is a major driving force so I'm in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future because as you can probably tell I'm in no rush.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #240
peroulas
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 17
Rumors might be true???

Just got off the phone with Sprint. I asked them when my contract ends, and he told me that I was already out of contract. He then asked me why I am asking, and I told him that I am going to switch carriers because I cannot get a new phone on sero. He asked which phone I was looking for, and I told him that I was going to switch to an Android handset.

He stated that supposedly:
1) October 1st, the restrictions on legacy plans will be lifted
2) Android will cost $10 extra per month for my plan
3) Evo4G would cost an additional $10 per month, for $50 total ($30+10+10)
4) Information will be printed in upcoming bills
5) Customer care received this information recently, but wasn't supposed to say anything until 2 days ago.

Hope this is true. Sounds reasonable @ $40 a month.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > Rumor from a rep: Smartphone restrictions will be removed from SERO

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: