Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

SU$: 0
Exclamation Prl Faq

What is a PRL?

PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List. It can in some instances help a Sprint phone find the CDMA network. When roaming it guides the phone to roam in a specific order off of Sprint Roaming partners.

How do I find my current PRL?

As a general rule you can go to Menu-> Settings -> Phone Info -> Version -> It will be listed as PRL version.

What does my PRL version Number mean?

EVDO Phones have support for PRL's beginning in 20xxx and 606xxx

Current Version for the 20xxx series is 20231, the roaming icon is shown with the letter "R". Current for 606xxx is 60612. Add's support for new roaming partners being added in the 08-09 years. Easier to pickup CDMA and roaming partner networks in Sioux Falls, SD, Watertown, SD, Brookings, SD, and Sioux City, IA .

EVDO Connection cards have support for PRL's beginning in 606xx or 607xx
Current Version for the 606xx series is 60608 Roaming icon is shown with a triangle. Current for the 607xx series is 60711 Roaming icon is shown with a triangle.
Add's support for new roaming partners being added in the 08-09 years. Easier to pickup CDMA and roaming partner networks in Sioux Falls, SD, Watertown, SD, Brookings, SD, and Sioux City, IA .

3G phones can support PRL's beginning in 10xxx or 50xxx
Current for 10xxx series is 10041, the Roaming icon is shown with the letter "R." Current for the 50xxx series is 50511, Roaming icon is shown with a triangle.

Add's support for new roaming partners being added in the 08-09 years. Easier to pickup CDMA and roaming partner networks in Sioux Falls, SD, Watertown, SD, Brookings, SD, and Sioux City, IA .

Credit for this goes to: ATS_Helper.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
nowires
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Sanyo M1
SU$: 2,143
PRL (Preferred Roaming List) FAQ

What is the function of the PRL?

The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is a database residing in a wireless (primarily CDMA) device, such as a cell phone, that contains information used during the system selection and acquisition process. In the case of RUIM-based CDMA devices, the PRL resides on the RUIM. The PRL indicates which bands, sub bands and service provider identifiers will be scanned and in what priority order. Without a PRL, the device may not be able to roam, i.e. obtain service outside of the home area. There may be cases where missing or corrupt PRL's can lead to a customer not having service at all.

On many networks, regularly updating the PRL is advised if the subscriber uses the device outside the home area frequently, particularly if they do so in multiple different areas. This allows the phone to choose the best roaming carriers, particularly "roaming partners" with whom the home carrier has a cost-saving roaming agreement, rather than using non-affiliated carriers. PRL files can also be used to identify home networks along with roaming partners, thus making the PRL an actual list that determines the total coverage of the subscriber, both home and roaming coverage.

The PRL is built by an operator and is normally not accessible to the user.

Wireless carriers can change PRLs (and your coverage) over the air without prior notice.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List
http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/PrlDemo.ppt

What is inside a PRL?

Acquisition index: Instructs the handset which channels to scan for each carrier.
Geography: PRLs can be split into areas.
Priorities: The order in which available systems are scanned.
Home Systems: System IDs that are not marked as roaming. Generally, these are the systems operated by your carrier.
Roaming Systems: System IDs that are marked as roaming. Generally, these are systems operated by other carriers.
Negative systems: System IDs upon which you are not allowed to roam.

Sources:
http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/PrlDemo.ppt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List

What are the latest PRLs?

Latest PRL Release for non-EV-DO Devices - 10041
Latest PRL Release for non-EV-DO Devices with Roaming Triangle - 50511
Latest PRL for EV-DO Devices - 20231
Latest PRL for EV-DO Devices with Roaming Triangle - 60612
Latest PRL for EV-DO Data Cards - 60711

Sources:
SprintUsers.com & PhoneNews Firmware Tracker
http://www.phonenews.com/phones/inde...rmware_Tracker

How do I determine my phone’s PRL?

See your owner’s manual for displaying the phone version.

How do I know what is the latest PRL available?

Unfortunately, Sprint does not provide a simple way of determining what is the latest PRL available. Your best guides are the SprintUsers website and http://www.phonenews.com/phones/inde...rmware_Tracker

How do I obtain the latest PRL using Sprint?

If the PRL change effects your handset based on your current location, Sprint will push down the latest PRL to the effected handsets. If you plan to travel, you may wish to validate the latest PRL and obtain the latest PRL manually since Sprint does not specify the changes made to each PRL update to the public.

Manually there are two methods:

1) Dial *2 on your cell phone and at the voice prompt say "PRL Update" or at the voice prompt say "Technical Support" and then "Other" or "Roaming". Once you reach a Sprint representative, they will have to flag your account for the PRL update. You will be instructed to hang-up and dial *2 again. You should get a voice recording that your phone is eligible for a free software update and to stay on the line. If you are not prompted for the free software update on the second call to *2, you need to repeat the process with another representative.

2) Sign into your Sprint account online and click on contact Ecare.
Enter the question: Flag my account for PRL update
Click next.
Select Tech Support
SUB Topic : Dropped Calls/Coverage Holes
Request that your account be marked for PRL update.

Once you have been notified via email that your account has been flagged for the PRL update, dial *2 on your cell phone and you should get a voice recording that your phone is eligible for a free software update and to stay on the line.

NOTE: Perform PRL update task only when you are in an area of strong signal strength to ensure a successful update.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Staff Forum > Archived & Closed Forums > What Phone Should I Get? > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) > Prl Faq

Closed Thread