Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatachu72 View Post
so something more like this product then?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-it...i-2248070.html
Something like that, but a higher neck covering to protect the shallow blood vessels at your neck. That looks like it would not protect the majority of the neck, but would be the right idea and would be light weight enough to get players to wear it.

An aside, the surgeon who repaired his artery is the vascular surgeon who worked with my father before he passed away. She is an excellent doctor and took a huge emotional involvement in my fathers care and actually cried when my father thanked her for all she did, letting her know it was time for him to go home.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
iggyclyde
a.k.a. Wineguy

Phone: TP2 Juicy R5...
SU$: 8,544
Definitely some scary stuff...just like (for those old enough to remember) Steve Yeager years ago during a MLB game when a bat splintered off a pitch and lodged in his throat. He's the one who developed that throat guard that catchers are now using...
iggyclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #18
enob
Digital PCS User

Mood: Aggressive
Phone: Galaxy S II 4G
My Mood: Aggressive
SU$: 3,220
Zeddie almost bit it there makes you think... though the years I have been cut on my arm and back of the leg by skates but never in the neck. The problem is the more gear you wear the more restricted you are.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
wavezero
Telegraph User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 666
That's exactally my point enob. And cheat- that's the answer I was looking for. The second the league allowed you to play without one they were ditched. I used one from squirt through midget (less than 10 years ago) and it was misearble. I now wear a collar protector like this one, be probably even a bit lower profile.

It looks like they do make something (that shirt thing), but I've never seen anyone wear one. I couldn't even imagine how restrictive/uncomfortable one with and even taller neck would be.

Wow, dan. That's incredible. Sounds like he is in good hands.
wavezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #20
Cheatachu72
Liability

Mood: Lurking
Phone: pbr
Trades: 23
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 14,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezero View Post
That's exactally my point enob. And cheat- that's the answer I was looking for. The second the league allowed you to play without one they were ditched. I used one from squirt through midget (less than 10 years ago) and it was misearble. I now wear a collar protector like this one, be probably even a bit lower profile.

It looks like they do make something (that shirt thing), but I've never seen anyone wear one. I couldn't even imagine how restrictive/uncomfortable one with and even taller neck would be.

well my point is the technology to protect players from these types of injuries has existed for almost 20 years and it hasnt been adopted.

facemasks have also been around, and i am sure dany heatly would have liked one, yet he (or the hundreds of other players with missing teeth)

sanyo 8100>sanyo 5500>samsung i330>sanyo 5500>nokia 6016>sanyo 5400>sanyo 5600>samsung a900>samsung a900m>sanyo 8300>UpStage>sanyo 8300>lucky-goldstar fusic>lucky-goldstar muziq>htc mogu>sammy m610>htc touch>Palm Pre>Lucky-Goldstar Optimus Prime
Currently: Content with an Optimus S
Cheatachu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #21
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavezero View Post

Nothing is ever comfortable! I hare wearing my hard hat at work, but do so because its a ton safer than having something lodge in your head and kill you!

The woven Kevlar thing would be warmer I'm sure, but its about as thick as a thin pair of socks so its not a huge issue with being able to turn your head, etc. The biggest complaint would probably be that its wet against your neck!

I bet you will start to see players wearing things like that sooner than later. The same type of accident happened here in Niagara Falls at a HS hockey game 30 years ago and it was because the coach kept firm pressure on the neck that the player lived.

If they start using the shirt in the lower levels, you will see it become standard like helmets were standardized. Let players choose if they want the neck protection now and require it in the HS level, then college and juniors and finally in the AHL and NHL.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
Cheatachu72
Liability

an interesting article about the discussion of requiring neck protection...bold emphasis added by me:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...or-NHLers.html

Quote:
Richard Zednik's blood-dripping trek to the bench Sunday night certainly hit home for Trent McCleary.

The former Montreal Canadiens player saw the images on his TV screen and couldn't help but think of his own experience, when he was left battling for his life after taking a slapshot in the throat.

"All of sudden I was flooded with memories," McLeary told The Canadian Press on Monday. "It's frightening."

McLeary, now an investment adviser in Swift Current, Sask., still has trouble breathing and some of his vocal cords are permanently damaged.

But he's happy just to be alive after the January 2000 incident in Montreal. For that he has repeatedly thanked the Canadiens' medical and training staff on hand that day at the Bell Centre.

"And yet again it was the case with Richard last night, and it was the same with Clint Malarchuk's incident (in 1989) and my incident, the medical staff and the people that work in the buildings are just phenomenal," said the 35-year-old McLeary, whose career ended on the play. "They're amazing and they potentially saved his life."

Zednik was listed in stable condition in the intensive care unit at Buffalo General Hospital on Monday. The Florida Panthers forward required life-saving surgery after severing his carotid artery when the skate of teammate Olli Jokinen came up and cut him in the throat.

The incident, replayed on TV screens around North America, could possibly have been less serious had Zednik been wearing a neck protector - a must for players in minor hockey in Canada but a rarity for NHLers.

"There was an incident in Sweden over 10 years ago where the guy passed away with kind of the same type of injury and neck guards were made mandatory in the Swedish league for a while," Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin recalled Monday.

"We're out there and the skates are certainly like knives on our feet and you've got to be aware out there. ... There's always freak accidents like that. You have to be aware that the skates are very dangerous."

Just as visors aren't mandated in the NHL, neither are neck protectors. That's the jurisdiction of the NHL Players' Association and the union has always respected its members' desire for individual choice when it comes to protection.

"We are pleased by the positive medical reports on Richard and are hopeful for his quick recovery," NHLPA executive director Paul Kelly said in a statement Monday. "The NHLPA will review this matter in detail and will continue to ensure that our members are fully educated about all aspects of on-ice safety."

Despite the gruesome nature of Zednik's incident, one would be hard-pressed to find many NHLers wanting to mandate neck protectors, wanting instead to reserve the right to decide how much protection they want to wear.

Veteran goalie Olaf Kolzig of the Washington Capitals, while very concerned for his former teammate Zednik, echoed that sentiment.

"You know what, it's hockey," Kolzig told The Canadian Press. "When was the last time this happened? Freak things happen, whether it's sports or whether you're walking across the street and you get hit by a car. That's life. You can't protect against everything. That was just such a freakish play.

"It should be left up to the players. It's a dangerous sport, you can't protect them from everything. It's just fortunate that he's OK."

Veteran centre Jeremy Roenick of the San Jose Sharks agreed with Kolzig and said you can't totally protect players in such a violent sport.

"We play this game for the love of it and we play it knowing the dangers are there," said Roenick. "It's like a race car driver. You try to make everything safer but somebody's going to get injured in an accident no matter what and they still do it anyway."

Leafs head coach Paul Maurice wonders where the line would be drawn if players were forced to wear neck protectors.

"It's neck guards, then it's going to be full face shields and those all make sense," he said. "Bigger shin pads, bigger shoulder pads, wrap yourself in a mattress and away you go. I mean, I don't know what the end point is. ...

"It's a fast sport with sticks, blades and frozen pucks. There's going to be some bumps and bruises, that's for sure."

McCleary also respects a player's individual choice to decide what kind of protection he wants to wear but wonders if the real change won't come from a third party rather than the NHL and NHLPA.

"The one thing that surprises me is not the NHL or the NHLPA, but insurance companies," said McLeary. "Why wouldn't Lloyd's of London say, 'I will lawyer your personal insurance policy if you wear a visor'? Then see how many guys put visors on."

Zednik's injury was similar to the one Malarchuk suffered in March 1989. The Buffalo Sabres goalie had his jugular vein severed when St. Louis Blues forward Steve Tuttle was upended while skating toward the crease and caught him with a skate. Malarchuk required over 300 stitches but spent only one night in the hospital, playing in a game less than two weeks later.

McCleary nearly died after taking a slapshot from Philadelphia's Chris Therien in the throat in a January 2000 game. He underwent surgery twice to repair a complex fracture of the larynx. Doctors said he would have died had he not had a tracheotomy.

Just like Zednik, McCleary amazingly raced to the bench on the play, which saved valuable seconds.

"Richard had the wherewithal to get to the bench as well," said McCleary. "You think, 'Well, laying on the ice isn't going to do any good.' Once I realized I couldn't breathe, I said, 'I got to get out of here.' You go where the help is. Richard skated 80 feet almost - it's just instinct."

Zednik was skating into the right corner of the Sabres' zone when Jokinen was dumped by Sabres forward Clarke MacArthur. Jokinen fell head-first to the ice, and his right leg flew up and struck Zednik directly on the side of the neck. He clutched his neck while racing to the bench.

"It's one of those things that happens from time to time in the game," said Maple Leafs forward Darcy Tucker. "It's a freak thing. It was nice to see he was able to get off the ice and get the necessary medical stuff looked after and that it didn't cause too much harm."

Said Leafs teammate Matt Stajan, the team's NHLPA player rep: "It took a guy to get flipped upside down and his skates to come flying up into the air for that to happen so to say you've got to make changes and stuff to make it more safe it would be a lot of work. I'm sure people are going to talk about it now.

"The main thing is he's OK. I think it's important for the league to move forward and I think they're going to look into stuff."
sanyo 8100>sanyo 5500>samsung i330>sanyo 5500>nokia 6016>sanyo 5400>sanyo 5600>samsung a900>samsung a900m>sanyo 8300>UpStage>sanyo 8300>lucky-goldstar fusic>lucky-goldstar muziq>htc mogu>sammy m610>htc touch>Palm Pre>Lucky-Goldstar Optimus Prime
Currently: Content with an Optimus S
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
wavezero
Telegraph User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 666
Good Find Cheat! thanks for the post...
wavezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #24
Dan
Forever my Angel

The same mentality was given for players refusing to wear a helmet when they were 1st introduced. Like the helmet, the visor and the neck protector should be brought up from pee wee, the juniors and minor league hockey.

After a certain point, you tell the people it is no longer choice to wear it or not. the only thing stopping it is the desire of the current players to continue to not have these things mandated.

In my line of work, their are times when the face shield, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves, etc all get in the way. But, I realize they are there for my safety and not wearing them may get me fired or cause serious injury or death. When I think of my options, I wear what is required for the job

I would think teams would want the players to wear a certain level of protection. After all, you lose a player because of an eye injury or a cut to the neck and you lost their services with no way of really replacing them for that season. The money is lost, the contracts guaranteed. You would think the teams and the league would work with the players to come up with a level of reasonable requirements for all players who join the league after a certain date.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #25
Cheatachu72
Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The same mentality was given for players refusing to wear a helmet when they were 1st introduced. Like the helmet, the visor and the neck protector should be brought up from pee wee, the juniors and minor league hockey.

After a certain point, you tell the people it is no longer choice to wear it or not. the only thing stopping it is the desire of the current players to continue to not have these things mandated.

In my line of work, their are times when the face shield, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves, etc all get in the way. But, I realize they are there for my safety and not wearing them may get me fired or cause serious injury or death. When I think of my options, I wear what is required for the job

I would think teams would want the players to wear a certain level of protection. After all, you lose a player because of an eye injury or a cut to the neck and you lost their services with no way of really replacing them for that season. The money is lost, the contracts guaranteed. You would think the teams and the league would work with the players to come up with a level of reasonable requirements for all players who join the league after a certain date.
so the "put down the tools, walk away" rule should osha stop in isn't standard at your job?

sadly, I have heard that creedo more than once
Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM   #26
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatachu72 View Post
so the "put down the tools, walk away" rule should osha stop in isn't standard at your job?

sadly, I have heard that creedo more than once
Lets just say that some contractors have that mentality, but its more because OSHA can fine you because your extension cord has a tiny burn in it from cutting metal. Since cutting metal is a big part of my job, our cords get burn holes in them after about a week of use.

Our contractors all have their own safety guys, and many of them have rules that exceed OSHA requirements such as tying off on any ladder, not just when you are 6 ft up.

Having said that, my contractor has far less an investment in my safety than a pro sports league or team has in their players safety. My contractor can replace me from a vast pool of workers that are trained to do my job. The same is not true of a professional athlete, where the best athletes are generally already playing and calling up another player is bringing up less talented help.

So, it would be a smart move for the NHL to start moving to requiring visors on all new NHL players starting next season, and requiring the shirt with kevlar neck protector to be worn by all new players starting in say 2010.

An aside to all this.......... the doctor that stopped the bleeding and made it so the player made it to the hospital was also one of the 1st on the field when Kevin Everett of the Bills was injured. He is the Bills orthopedic doctor, and a team doctor for the Sabres also. Pretty amazing, playing a big part in saving 2 athletes lives in one year!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #27
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Note 40
Trades: 10
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 189,328
Richard Zednik has a long red surgery scar down the right side of his neck, which intersects the 1-inch cut left by teammate Olli Jokinen's skate. He said after it happened he just thought about his 4 yr old daughter. He said when he comes back he will be wearing a neck guard. Glad he's doing good and on his way back to a full recovery.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3257071

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: