Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
iGroove
Telephone User

Phone: Treo 700wx
SU$: 457
?? about canceling service on main line but not add-a-line..

Ok so the title pretty much says it all.

Over the course of xx amount of years I have acquired 5 lines on my account. Previously I had always upgraded and signed a new 2 year contract on the main line with the main phone number. However, now on one of my add-a-line's, I have come quit custom to this number. Previously I would use one number for work and friends and one number as a sorta home phone. Now I just give one number out for everything.

Ok, so officialy today I am out of contract on the main line i started using with Sprint long ago. I would like to cancel this line to save myself a few bucks, but what is it that I will be getting into with this? This is the main line on the account. Can I just tell them what line I want to be the "official" main line? And if so, will that generate a new 2 yr contract on that line?

I plan to call Sprint today or tomorrow to duscuss some issues on my wife's line. (Treo 700wx, on her 3rd one in the year she has had it, and now that refurb POS, is crapping out on her. No matter who she calls; land line, cell, etc., it sounds like she is talking into an old rusty fan. The person, has to end up calling her back.) Anyway, I am going to hold out til someone here might be able to give me some insight on my billing and account questions.

thanks
zach
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
The Red Baron
Formerly known as Red Baron

Phone: Nexus 5
SU$: 9,191
Practically, it doesn't matter at all what your main line is. If you're in a family plan, the main line holds the core plan and the other lines are add-ons, but when it cancels, the core plan just gets assigned to the next line. You can ask them to assign the core plan to a certain line, but why bother? You can access your account with any of your numbers and as I stated above, it doesn't really matter what your main line is.
The Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
TvTech
Crackberry Addict

Phone: BB Curve
SU$: 6,312
I agree, it shouldn't matter at all which the main line is. When you cancel your current "main line" I don't see why they couldn't assign another one as the designated default for your preference. Trusted you get a knowledgable CSR, they will know what you are talking about and able to help you. I hate when you get a rep that seems so clueless.

Good luck!!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
SU$: 2,427
The issue will be if the plan you have is no longer available/offered - When you cancel the main line, one of the other lines becomes "primary" and the rep has to change the codes - which most likely means a new plan - thats been my problem - i have a main line that hasnt been used in a year - but i have a 59.99 shared plan with 800 minutes for 3 lines - since that is no longer offered i have to pick a new plan for my remaining 2 lines and there isnt a comparablen plan to it being offered right now -
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
iGroove
Telephone User

Phone: Treo 700wx
SU$: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxx View Post
The issue will be if the plan you have is no longer available/offered - When you cancel the main line, one of the other lines becomes "primary" and the rep has to change the codes - which most likely means a new plan - thats been my problem - i have a main line that hasnt been used in a year - but i have a 59.99 shared plan with 800 minutes for 3 lines - since that is no longer offered i have to pick a new plan for my remaining 2 lines and there isnt a comparablen plan to it being offered right now -
This is what I'm affraid of, however, it could help me in the long run. I dont think my plan is offered anymore, however, I have 2 treo 700wx both with the $20 powervision (i think) but im also paying $10/mo on both to have unlimited txt which i think is now free with the powervision. Right?

My biggest thing is signing a new 2yr agreement. I have no plans to drop Sprint but I dont think I can take another xx months with the Treo 700.

zach
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
some18mybrain
Still Going Strong

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Galaxy SIII
Trades: 2
SU$: 29,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGroove View Post
This is what I'm affraid of, however, it could help me in the long run. I dont think my plan is offered anymore, however, I have 2 treo 700wx both with the $20 powervision (i think) but im also paying $10/mo on both to have unlimited txt which i think is now free with the powervision. Right?

My biggest thing is signing a new 2yr agreement. I have no plans to drop Sprint but I dont think I can take another xx months with the Treo 700.

zach
No, unlimited texting is not included with Powervision. With the power pack family plan though, you can get unlimited texting for all phones on the account for $20 a month.

Also, changing your plan no longer requires a new contract
Every smile that lights my face; Every teardrop, every trace; Every secret hidden place; Belongs to you. Everything that's good in me; All I'll ever hope to be; Every drop of every dream; Belongs to you.
Frank and Rebecca - Joined forever on May 16th, 2009
some18mybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,165
like everyone said above, if your plan doesnt exist anymore, and most likely isn't, the rep may or may not be able to keep the plan. so just brace yourself to pick out a power pack family plan. in the long run, it may be the same price or cheaper to keep that main line depending on what your plan currently is and what it may change to.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
phobium
Telephone User

SU$: 1,849
I work for Sprint, and if your account is in Ensemble, you will not be affected by canceling the main line.

Here's why:
In Ensemble, each line has the fully priced family plan feature, let's say you have the 149.99 plan for your phones. The 149.99 plan is assigned to EACH line, and Ensemble knows to charge you one time as they all cancel each other out.

In P2K this is not the case, and would probably require you change your plan, because the main line will be assigned the 149.99 plan, and the others will be assigned an attachable plan (such as "149.99 Lines 2-3 Attach", etc) But I have talked to our Sales Support people who can do Add-a-Lines for old Fair and Flexible plans even though those plans are done with, as long as you're already on the plan.

But basically, if you're in Ensemble, there's nothing to worry about.
phobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
Dragonman
SU Expert judge MAS 2011

Mood: Cool
Phone: Galaxy S II
Trades: 4
SU$: 9,730
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonman Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonman
Even in P2K most family plans now have "L" codes like Ensemble and the system automatically assigns another line as the primary when the existing line is cancelled. No code changes are required it is all automatic.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
SU$: 2,427
oh awesome thats great to hear! ive been wanting to cancel the one line but didnt want to give up my old plan! thanks for that info!
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
kim75
Telegraph User

Phone: sanyo
SU$: 324
i was wondering about when you change your number couldn't they just slide it over like that? I have two lines and want to change the primary account at all but changed the phones/plan on the number and reduce the second line's anytime minutes. I got a postcard saying that my plan has expired but don't understand that when it was just placed on that phone maybe three months earlier.
kim75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > ?? about canceling service on main line but not add-a-line..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: