Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
dr_snoot
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Sanyo SCP-4900
SU$: 152
Angry Sprint's double whammy attempt with Sprint Navigation

I have discovered two slimy attempts by Sprint to take more of my money than necessary.

First, see my topic Sanyo SCP-3200 and Sprint Navigation.

Now... from what I can find out, Sprint Navigation (turn-by-turn direction via your cell phone) will work just fine on a Sanyo SCP-3200, but Sprint store staff steered me to a more expensive phone that would utilize "Power Vision" claiming that you needed a Power Vision phone to use all of the features of the Sprint Navigation. I say bull-oney!

The second trick is their insisting that I have a "data plan" of at least $15/mo. before I can add Sprint Navigation for $9.99/mo. They insisted on this at the store until I pointed out in their brochure that I should be able to add it for $9.99 alone without any other "data plan" or enabling any other data features. The store rep said "Oh, I didn't know about that" and supposedly enabled just the Sprint Navigation for $9.99/mo. on my account.

I tried a Samsung M510 for a few hours and I did not like it as a basic phone, but the Sprint Navigation service did work to my satisfaction. I took the Samsung back to the store and decided to get a Sanyo Katana DLX which I much prefer (but cost $50 more than the Samsung M510). When I could not get the Sprint Navigation to download/work, I went back into the store (almost closing time) and they said you just needed to go to the "main web page" and download the Telenav application and then it would work.

Well, I couldn't even get the web to work. After an hour of fooling with it I called Sprint and waited on hold for 15 minutes... I told them I couldn't get my "very new" Katana DLX to run the Sprint Navigator application; they said it would not work because the entire web/internet network was down!

I suggested to their rep that I was re-thinking about my idea to get GPS navigation via my cellphone if it wasn't going to be there when I needed it. I can certainly agree with all of the advantages listed at http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/advantages.html, but a dedicated automobile navigation GPS only needs the satellites to be there to work; if the Sprint network conks out so does your navigation aid!

I asked them to make sure that the $9.99/mo. Sprint Navigation was properly enabled on my account after the earlier phone swap from the Samsung to the Sanyo and they said you must have an existing data plan, and then pay the additional $9.99/mo. in order for Sprint Navigation to work.

I'm not an English professor, but when their web page says "you need X orY" to get it to work, I certainly don't read that as needing both!

Joke: I suppose it depends on what your definition of "or" is.

So, I have a brochure and a web page that both say I can enable this Sprint Navigation feature for $9.99/mo. without an existing "data plan", yet store reps and phone reps say I need both.

The web page at http://navigation.sprint.com/planreq.html suggests the same thing:
Plan Requirements

Sprint users must subscribe to a data plan in order to use Sprint Navigation. If you already have a data plan, click here to learn how to download Sprint Navigation.

If you do not already have a data plan, you can sign up for one by doing one of the following:
  • Go to the www.sprint.com and sign in to "My Sprint Wireless" to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan that includes Navigation
  • Call 1-800-SPRINT1 to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan or purchase Sprint Navigation for $9.99/month
  • Go to a store and ask to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan or purchase Sprint Navigation for $9.99/month

The emphasis on the word or is mine.

-----
Bottom line:

If I cannot get this service enabled for only $9.99/mo. I may return my Sanyo Katana DLX and get all of money I spent on it credited to my account and bring this matter to the attention of the Attorney General of my state.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
sde780
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
Trades: 18
SU$: 8,567
Send a message via AIM to sde780
Ok, well you could use it without a Vision Package, but that would be just plain dumb, since Sprint charges you $.03/kb, and that Sprint Navigation thing will be using up data everytime you open it. The reps are just helping you out, unless you want a 300+ bill every month because of the data charges.

Why are you getting so mad about this? I really don't see a need to complain so much about this. Maybe a little more research will help you out.

Phones use a different GPS than car GPS, the phone uses the tower info or something, then uses the web to send it to the servers, then the servers send back info. And if the PV (power vision) service was down, there would be no way for the phone to communicate with the servers, which means that your phone wouldn't know what maps to show and what direction to tell you to go.

Last edited by sde780; 09-19-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: 007 S4
Trades: 10
SU$: 114,940
You could get the data plan and get the Telenav for free.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,173
i have never heard of the 3200 being able to do telenav/navigation. im sure it's like the katana you could do it, but it's slow being vision.

here's the difference, let's say it does work, you'd pay 15 for the vision pack and then pay 9.99 to telenav separately for the 3200.

on the m510, you'd pay $20 for the Navigation Power Pack. and it'd be much faster. not only are you saving $5/month with the 510/dlx, you are getting more features - video, video mail, power vision, sprint tv, sprint radio, nfl network, music store.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
jsbaker
Telegraph User

Phone: Treo 650
SU$: 277
Umm if you will go read the requirements again it says you MUST have a data plan to use sprint navigation.

Right above the requirements it also says if you do not have a data plan add one by doing one of the following: and yes it says vision or data for $9.99 a month but lets be reasonable the very first thing on the page says you must have data. The people in the store told you this as did customer care. At most the webpage has contradictory info but it is far from deceptive and I am sure your state's A/G has better things to worry about.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
dr_snoot
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Sanyo SCP-4900
SU$: 152
I'm all happy now

I guess I was all flamed out about having to pay more than $9.99 to get the Sprint Navigation. When I calmed down I realized that the "or" business is probably just a mistake on their web page and needs corrected. The brochure did say "data plan required" in the fine print.

I elected to go with the "Power Vision Ultimate" data package for $25, which includes the Sprint Navigation unlimited use. Doing that made more sense than getting the smallest data plan for $15/mo. and then adding the Sprint Navigation for $9.99/mo. With this package I get some video/music stuff too, but I have little interest in that.

I am very happy with my Sanyo Katana DLX, but it would not run the Sprint Navigator application until I returned to the store and they did some kind of "secret key sequences" to get it to work... out-of-the-box it would not do it (or so they told me). They said the sales person that set it up wasn't aware of the trick stuff needed to enable the Sprint Navigation on the DLX.

I'm also glad I got the Katana as it will stay open in a 90 degree position that I can just place it near my car speedo while driving - the Samsung M510 wouldn't hold a position like that and would try to snap shut.

Last edited by dr_snoot; 09-20-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
sde780
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
Trades: 18
SU$: 8,567
Send a message via AIM to sde780
Call someone higher up in the chain
Old 11-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #8
Dysdiadochodokanestic
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

Mood: Stressed
Phone: Photon & BB
SU$: 2,757
Sprint Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion13 View Post
How exaclty do you get Telenav for free ? I have BB8830, with unlimited internet but NO BLACKBERRY plan. Is there a way to download telenav through USB, or desktop manager, and then use it for free as you say ...

Thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
hookedonitunes
Thank you for explaining.

Phone: Sanyo 7050
Trades: 3
SU$: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_snoot View Post
I am very happy with my Sanyo Katana DLX, but it would not run the Sprint Navigator application until I returned to the store and they did some kind of "secret key sequences" to get it to work... out-of-the-box it would not do it (or so they told me). They said the sales person that set it up wasn't aware of the trick stuff needed to enable the Sprint Navigation on the DLX.
Glad you finally got it working, but ther is no "secret key sequence" the rep was talking about. I'll bet anything all they did was go to Vision Home from the phone, search for "nav" then use the link provided to download it.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
iggyclyde
a.k.a. Wineguy

Phone: TP2 Juicy R5...
SU$: 8,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion13 View Post
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
hookedonitunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassanqadir View Post
How exaclty do you get Telenav for free ? I have BB8830, with unlimited internet but NO BLACKBERRY plan. Is there a way to download telenav through USB, or desktop manager, and then use it for free as you say ...

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyclyde View Post
Talking about stealing it. Don't do it. It's just wrong.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
SprintSALES
Account Inactive

Phone: Storm, Palm Pre
SU$: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonitunes View Post
Talking about stealing it. Don't do it. It's just wrong.
no, get the ultimate data pack and it comes with. thats what they mean.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
hookedonitunes

My bad. I'm just so tired of people trying to get everything for free or cheat the system. In this case, though, I accuse, I lose. haha I thought it was funny
Old 03-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Dead_Rebel
Dead.... and a Rebel...

Phone: Samsung Finesse
Trades: 1
SU$: 7,579
To the poster, that said you had to be in PV service constantly is mis-informed.... Telenav uses GPS satellites just like any other GPS, the trick with it being on your phone though is the maps load through your data connection. What you're referring to is 'triangulation'. Which is what some applications like Google Maps uses on a phone that's not equipped with a GPS receiver.

Telenav will work out of service for a limited amount of time provided enough of the map is already downloaded to the phone before going out of service. You'll notice your arrow moving but your map not moving when that happens. Once you get a data connection again it'll pickup right where you are... Of course your mileage will vary.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
dondenwa
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Sanyo Katana
SU$: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_snoot View Post
I have discovered two slimy attempts by Sprint to take more of my money than necessary.

First, see my topic Sanyo SCP-3200 and Sprint Navigation.

Now... from what I can find out, Sprint Navigation (turn-by-turn direction via your cell phone) will work just fine on a Sanyo SCP-3200, but Sprint store staff steered me to a more expensive phone that would utilize "Power Vision" claiming that you needed a Power Vision phone to use all of the features of the Sprint Navigation. I say bull-oney!

The second trick is their insisting that I have a "data plan" of at least $15/mo. before I can add Sprint Navigation for $9.99/mo. They insisted on this at the store until I pointed out in their brochure that I should be able to add it for $9.99 alone without any other "data plan" or enabling any other data features. The store rep said "Oh, I didn't know about that" and supposedly enabled just the Sprint Navigation for $9.99/mo. on my account.

I tried a Samsung M510 for a few hours and I did not like it as a basic phone, but the Sprint Navigation service did work to my satisfaction. I took the Samsung back to the store and decided to get a Sanyo Katana DLX which I much prefer (but cost $50 more than the Samsung M510). When I could not get the Sprint Navigation to download/work, I went back into the store (almost closing time) and they said you just needed to go to the "main web page" and download the Telenav application and then it would work.

Well, I couldn't even get the web to work. After an hour of fooling with it I called Sprint and waited on hold for 15 minutes... I told them I couldn't get my "very new" Katana DLX to run the Sprint Navigator application; they said it would not work because the entire web/internet network was down!

I suggested to their rep that I was re-thinking about my idea to get GPS navigation via my cellphone if it wasn't going to be there when I needed it. I can certainly agree with all of the advantages listed at http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/advantages.html, but a dedicated automobile navigation GPS only needs the satellites to be there to work; if the Sprint network conks out so does your navigation aid!

I asked them to make sure that the $9.99/mo. Sprint Navigation was properly enabled on my account after the earlier phone swap from the Samsung to the Sanyo and they said you must have an existing data plan, and then pay the additional $9.99/mo. in order for Sprint Navigation to work.

I'm not an English professor, but when their web page says "you need X orY" to get it to work, I certainly don't read that as needing both!

Joke: I suppose it depends on what your definition of "or" is.

So, I have a brochure and a web page that both say I can enable this Sprint Navigation feature for $9.99/mo. without an existing "data plan", yet store reps and phone reps say I need both.

The web page at http://navigation.sprint.com/planreq.html suggests the same thing:
Plan Requirements

Sprint users must subscribe to a data plan in order to use Sprint Navigation. If you already have a data plan, click here to learn how to download Sprint Navigation.

If you do not already have a data plan, you can sign up for one by doing one of the following:
  • Go to the www.sprint.com and sign in to "My Sprint Wireless" to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan that includes Navigation
  • Call 1-800-SPRINT1 to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan or purchase Sprint Navigation for $9.99/month
  • Go to a store and ask to upgrade to a Power Vision Data Plan or purchase Sprint Navigation for $9.99/month

The emphasis on the word or is mine.

-----
Bottom line:

If I cannot get this service enabled for only $9.99/mo. I may return my Sanyo Katana DLX and get all of money I spent on it credited to my account and bring this matter to the attention of the Attorney General of my state.
On my older Katana I have vision pack, Telenav and the $9.95 flat monthly rate, and it works fine - except I can't reach it without passing the dialog asking me to agree to the $2.99 charge for a 24 hour period. Techs have told me press "ok" to bypass it, but no such button on that dialog. Others have said agree to the pay, it won't be on my bill. It's been on every bill where I've used maps. Do I have to phone every month to get that charge off my bill? This has been going on for several months now. Anybody else battling this?
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > Sprint's double whammy attempt with Sprint Navigation

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: