SprintUsers.com

SprintUsers.com (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sprint Discussion (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sprint will deploy LTE advanced in 2013 (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225280)

marioc21 10-25-2011 09:51 AM

Sprint will deploy LTE advanced in 2013

Quote:

Sprint will deploy LTE-Advanced in the first half of 2013

CHICAGO--Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) will deploy LTE-Advanced technology on its 800 MHz spectrum by the first half of 2013, a key executive said. Speaking at a breakfast meeting at the 4G World conference here, Sprint's vice president of network development and engineering, Iyad Tarazi, said that the company will deploy LTE-Advanced Release 10 in a 10x10 configuration by the first half of 2013. The company estimates that with LTE-Advanced it will be able to achieve 12-15 Mbps download speeds.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...013/2011-10-25

marioc21 10-25-2011 12:07 PM

Here's the story in full:

Quote:

Sprint will deploy LTE-Advanced in the first half of 2013

October 25, 2011 10:58am ET | By Sue Marek

CHICAGO--Sprint Nextel (NYSE:S) will deploy LTE-Advanced technology on its 800 MHz spectrum by the first half of 2013, a key executive said. Speaking at a breakfast meeting at the 4G World conference here, Sprint's vice president of network development and engineering, Iyad Tarazi, said that the company will deploy LTE-Advanced Release 10 in a 10x10 configuration by the first half of 2013. The company estimates that with LTE-Advanced it will be able to achieve 12-15 Mbps download speeds.

Tarazi also provided additional details on the company's extensive Network Vision upgrade, which will include the deployment of LTE using the company's 1900 MHz spectrum with a planned commercial launch of LTE by mid-2012. The company plans to have 250 million to 277 million POPs covered with LTE by the end of 2013. At that point, Tarazi said the company will have a bigger LTE footprint than its existing CDMA network.

Tarazi said that the company plans to launch at least 12 LTE devices next year and although Sprint will initially offer voice service over its CDMA 1X network and data over its LTE network, it will eventually migrate to Voice over LTE. Tarazi said Sprint will launch VoLTE devices in the first quarter of 2013.

Interestingly, Tarazi revealed that the company will end 2011 with about 20 percent of its traffic riding on Clearwire's (NASDAQ:CLWR) 4G WiMAX network, which Tarazi said Sprint Nextel will continue to support for many years because of its agreement with the wholesale provider. Clearwire has said it needs to raise between $150 million and $300 million for the maintenance of its existing WiMAX network and $600 million to begin deploying LTE-Advanced network technology.

Tarazi added that Sprint will continue to invest in its EV-DO network to support its existing 3G smartphone customers, including its new iPhone 4S subscribers. Part of that investment includes small cells. Tarazi said the company currently has more than 500,000 femtocells deployed and he expects that to grow to more than 1 million by the first half of 2013. In addition, he expects the company will deploy LTE picocells in 2012.

On the backhaul front, Tarazi said that the company currently uses Ethernet over leased fiber lines for its backhaul but is also deploying Ethernet microwave technology where leased lines are not available.

Read more: Sprint will deploy LTE-Advanced in the first half of 2013 - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...#ixzz1bomHmzlM
Subscribe: http://www.fiercewireless.com/signup...FierceWireless

TheGame 10-25-2011 12:53 PM

A couple of things...I didn't think Sprint had enough holdings in the 800 MHz band to deploy 10x10 there, and secondly, I'm hoping they're being conservative, because 12-15 seems a bit slow for LTE Advanced imo.

Bam 10-25-2011 09:40 PM

1 year too late

Deval 10-26-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bam (Post 2627061)
1 year too late

As compared to who?

Jonger1150 10-26-2011 01:28 PM

You have to wonder how many of us with still frequent this site when Sprint has a smooth 1900/800 LTE network with good coverage. Right now this website is like a support group for Sprint customers suffering.

Deval 10-26-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonger1150 (Post 2627392)
You have to wonder how many of us with still frequent this site when Sprint has a smooth 1900/800 LTE network with good coverage. Right now this website is like a support group for Sprint customers suffering.

Is it? I thought it was more of non-sprint users telling others how bad Sprint is? I've been on here for 11 years now, and I've seen the changes.

jbjtkbw00 10-26-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deval (Post 2627394)
Is it? I thought it was more of non-sprint users telling others how bad Sprint is? I've been on here for 11 years now, and I've seen the changes.

Yes you have. You're one of the members that I rememeber way back from when I was originally on Sprint back in the day. There have been MANY changes and will continue to be.

nazzo 10-26-2011 04:46 PM

12-15 Mbps, is that all? I thought VZN had better speeds then that on regular LTE, am I mistaken? Because, dang, that isn't something to hold out for then.

Evan702 10-26-2011 05:07 PM

They're likely just being conservative. Remember, VZW advertises their LTE network at "only" 5-12Mbps.

nmherron 10-26-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazzo
12-15 Mbps, is that all? I thought VZN had better speeds then that on regular LTE, am I mistaken? Because, dang, that isn't something to hold out for then.

Those are advertised speeds. Verizon adveritises LTE speeds of 5 to 12 MB (if memory serves). Obviously people have speed test well beyond 12 MB on Verizon LTE. I'm guessing Sprint's LTE Advanced with 2 bonded 5x5 carriers will perform probably equal, or only slightly better than Verizon's Non advanced LTE. But its an impressive technological feat for Sprint considering Sprint will be doing it with two separate carriers in different bands!

But performance wise, 99% of users won't care about the details. Just how fast is it?

The thing Sprint might do that will blow Verizon's LTE out of the water is if it works out a deal with Clearwire (which talks are back on again). Clearwire has the capability with 20MHz TD-LTE carriers to have speeds around 50MB.

When you consider long term, the potential for Sprint's network is awesome. How Dan Hesse plays the Clearwire card is going to determine the future for Sprint.

Jonger1150 10-26-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazzo (Post 2627489)

Verizon LTE devices frequently hit 25mbps still. I hit 24 today on mine. Phones rarely break 12mbps.

Sprint saying 12-15 is a good conservative call, but for LTE advanced its kinda lowballed.

VDubb 10-26-2011 07:52 PM

Is this the same Sprint that needs to raise capital before beginning any network improvements? I mean, MetroPCS could say they plan to have a nationwide LTE-Advanced network with 100Mbps download speeds next year; the question is will they actually get the funds to fulfill their plans?

- VDubb

Deval 10-27-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonger1150 (Post 2627581)
Verizon LTE devices frequently hit 25mbps still. I hit 24 today on mine. Phones rarely break 12mbps.

Sprint saying 12-15 is a good conservative call, but for LTE advanced its kinda lowballed.

Probably better to be low-ball than have a bunch of cry babies complain when they don't see the 50mbps, don't you think?

Deval 10-27-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDubb (Post 2627586)
Is this the same Sprint that needs to raise capital before beginning any network improvements? I mean, MetroPCS could say they plan to have a nationwide LTE-Advanced network with 100Mbps download speeds next year; the question is will they actually get the funds to fulfill their plans?

- VDubb

Yep, the same Sprint that is already starting their network vision rollout.

Seriously? :thought: