SprintUsers.com

SprintUsers.com (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Android (Google) Based Phones (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Hero not REV A? (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195792)

everette25 10-11-2009 08:17 AM

Mine is rev o also. Is this reason to get another one? My screen light flickers at times so may take it to the store anyways.

wengland 10-11-2009 08:20 AM

Sprint Says: RevA

Good Morning!

Will England here from Sprint Communities.

I saw this thread and called into the HTC Hero Launch Support bridge to talk with the engineers. Here's the scoop:

The About-Status screen displays the current network status; if you are connected to a weak signal, or your tower hasn't been upgrades, you'll see 1XRTT or Rev0. If you are connected to a strong signal on an upgraded tower you'll see RevA.

The hardware, software and radio all support RevA connections. The status screen is displaying a live status of the network.

To the gentleman living 15 minutes from the Sprint campus: I live 8 miles from the campus and get RevA on my deck, nothing in my basement. So I have an Airave.

If you have more questions, concerns or complaints about the Hero and want Sprint to see them, I encourage you to visit the Hero Community on Sprint.com:
http://community.sprint.com/baw/comm...id_phones/hero

SarahKS and I monitor that along with other members of the Sprint team.

Thanks,

Will

wengland 10-11-2009 08:30 AM

Oh - the 'With Google' thing is a screenprint on the battery cover. We ran phones without the Google logo, then Marketing and Brand decided to change that. So we had HTC start screenprinting Google on the battery cover. No difference in hardware, software, etc.

I'm looking into the PRI delta. The initial take is that it should not impact anything. Soon as I hear back from the HTC team I'll follow up.

Will

HiCaP 10-11-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC Wuff (Post 2221210)
THIS IS CORRECT.

It is not an indicator of the capability of your phone -- IT IS AN INDICATOR OF THE COVERAGE YOU'RE CURRENTLY IN.

DO NOT WORRY. STEP AWAY FROM THE LEDGE, PEOPLE.

In the 40 hours I've had my Hero, I've seen it show Rev A, Rev 0, and 1xRTT.

No "With Google" on my phone.

Yep, had to go into my basement, it did change in Status to 1xRTT

HiCaP 10-11-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wengland (Post 2221222)
Oh - the 'With Google' thing is a screenprint on the battery cover. We ran phones without the Google logo, then Marketing and Brand decided to change that. So we had HTC start screenprinting Google on the battery cover. No difference in hardware, software, etc.

Will

You're wrong wengland, it does mean something, it means our phones are 50 K plus newer. :headbang2

I'm just pulling your leg, :lol: Thanks wengland for the info, at least we don't need to get Scully and Mulder in on this.

DC Wuff 10-11-2009 08:44 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

One other thing I love about this phone is that when I turn on WiFi in my house, the Hero immediately drops the weak EvDO signal and picks up my Airave's 1xRTT signal for voice only. Couldn't imagine it working any better.

the_miker 10-11-2009 08:47 AM

Will just cleared everything up in two very informative posts. Thanks Will! I'll definitely be bookmarking that Sprint.com forum too.

I'll have to drive around the area today and see if I ever get a rev A connection. Also, very interesting to hear about the true reason behind the "with Google" branding. A lot of sites were saying that Sprint removed the branding due to Sense being installed and not vanilla Android, but now we know for sure that those sites were pretty much just making that up. I'm glad to hear the non-branded phones came first, I feel like I have a limited print of the phone now. ;)

acs12798 10-11-2009 09:30 AM

I am still concerned. I don't doubt that it changes depending on what your getting at the time. But some of these phones never seems to switch to rev a. I am in shelton, ct with all bars and if you lool on sprints map that is a rev a area. I still show rev 0. I have checked many spots in this area all without rev a.

Awake 10-11-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wengland (Post 2221218)
Good Morning!

Will England here from Sprint Communities.

I saw this thread and called into the HTC Hero Launch Support bridge to talk with the engineers. Here's the scoop:

The About-Status screen displays the current network status; if you are connected to a weak signal, or your tower hasn't been upgrades, you'll see 1XRTT or Rev0. If you are connected to a strong signal on an upgraded tower you'll see RevA.

The hardware, software and radio all support RevA connections. The status screen is displaying a live status of the network.

To the gentleman living 15 minutes from the Sprint campus: I live 8 miles from the campus and get RevA on my deck, nothing in my basement. So I have an Airave.

If you have more questions, concerns or complaints about the Hero and want Sprint to see them, I encourage you to visit the Hero Community on Sprint.com:
http://community.sprint.com/baw/comm...id_phones/hero

SarahKS and I monitor that along with other members of the Sprint team.

Thanks,

Will

As I mentioned in a previous post i am in a very strong Rev-A area. I have a Novatel USB modem that shows Rev-A in diagnostics, in broadband speedtest I am consistently getting 800-900Mbps down. I believe there is an issue with the software version on the Hero.

rome75 10-11-2009 10:46 AM

^^^^^ I agree. I can turn WIFI on, still shows Rev0. I have tested this outside, inside and I know I have RevA in my area but EVDO Rev0 never changes. The only time it changes is when i manually change the connection to 1X only. I did have strong RevA connection on my Tour.

Jproctor1995 10-11-2009 10:55 AM

I am sorry and even though I prefer not to believe it the current trend seems that the "with google" phones are the ones picking up rev A. Its alot more consistent.

Awake 10-11-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jproctor1995 (Post 2221326)
I am sorry and even though I prefer not to believe it the current trend seems that the "with google" phones are the ones picking up rev A. Its alot more consistent.

Read through the comments, there are some folks who have a "w/Google" device, but no Rev-A!

Jproctor1995 10-11-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awake (Post 2221330)
Read through the comments, there are some folks who have a "w/Google" device, but no Rev-A!

I actually saw that, what I am saying though is at least there is a bit more consistent. How many non-google folks are getting rev-a?

acs12798 10-11-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jproctor1995 (Post 2221331)
I actually saw that, what I am saying though is at least there is a bit more consistent. How many non-google folks are getting rev-a?

Right that makes sense. Phones with working Rev A will still show Rev 0 when in a Rev 0 area. That may be whats happening there. The concern is why are certain phones never going to Rev A when in a Rev A area?

jillianbee 10-11-2009 11:09 AM

I am in RevA areas with a non-google phone and am only getting Rev0