SprintUsers.com

SprintUsers.com (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php)
-   HTC (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   EVO Custom ROM's Thread (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209631)

Matt -- HB Cali 08-25-2010 02:05 PM

Does anyone know of a good ROM that doesn't break 4G, limit the camera to 3MP, allows wireless tether and removes the FPS barrier?

I've been trying to research these here and there but it seems almost every ROM has something wrong with it. I've been reading threads over on xda but each one is literally 100 pages long. I'm currently on 2.1 with Unrevoked 3 enjoying all of my phones stock capabilities + wireless tether but want to do SimpleRoot to remove the FPS limit and retain my tether as soon as I find a ROM worthy of rooting my phone fully.

Thanks!

mcnu 08-25-2010 02:22 PM

is there a trick to using titanium back up?? i have it installed, and it was set to due a full back up, but i cant find the backup. also, is there a way to save the back up to the sd card? i would like to try the new fresh, but i want to back up first. thanks in advance...

pad191 08-25-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt -- HB Cali (Post 2402946)
Does anyone know of a good ROM that doesn't break 4G, limit the camera to 3MP, allows wireless tether and removes the FPS barrier?

I've been trying to research these here and there but it seems almost every ROM has something wrong with it. I've been reading threads over on xda but each one is literally 100 pages long. I'm currently on 2.1 with Unrevoked 3 enjoying all of my phones stock capabilities + wireless tether but want to do SimpleRoot to remove the FPS limit and retain my tether as soon as I find a ROM worthy of rooting my phone fully.

Thanks!

The FPS limit is removed through custom kernels, not necessarily through ROMs (though some ROMs include a custom kernel).

FRESH ROM has everything you're looking for. Perhaps one of the most stable ROMs currently out there. I've heard good things about the EViO ROM and OMJ, but I currently run FRESH after being in your exact position. Only way I could get rid of unrevoked3 was through SimpleRoot and afterwards, I flashed Fresh.

DJay45 08-25-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnu (Post 2402957)
is there a trick to using titanium back up?? i have it installed, and it was set to due a full back up, but i cant find the backup. also, is there a way to save the back up to the sd card? i would like to try the new fresh, but i want to back up first. thanks in advance...

If you go into preferences you can chose what folder it backups to. This folder will be on the root of your sdcard. You can run a backup manually by hitting menu batch and running the backup there

mcnu 08-25-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay45 (Post 2402969)
If you go into preferences you can chose what folder it backups to. This folder will be on the root of your sdcard. You can run a backup manually by hitting menu batch and running the backup there

so check the auto sync for TB???

mcnu 08-25-2010 03:07 PM

well, i got it, but now i have titinium back up has been granted super user permissions stuck on the screen...

Matt -- HB Cali 08-25-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad191 (Post 2402967)
The FPS limit is removed through custom kernels, not necessarily through ROMs (though some ROMs include a custom kernel).

FRESH ROM has everything you're looking for. Perhaps one of the most stable ROMs currently out there. I've heard good things about the EViO ROM and OMJ, but I currently run FRESH after being in your exact position. Only way I could get rid of unrevoked3 was through SimpleRoot and afterwards, I flashed Fresh.

OK, maybe I will try that one then tonight, thanks! I take it ROM manager and Titanium backup both work fine with this ROM?

Noodle 08-25-2010 03:34 PM

I'm still rocking evio might go back to fresh to try the new version. So far they are still tied for first in my book.

Shauli 08-25-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt -- HB Cali (Post 2402946)
Does anyone know of a good ROM that doesn't break 4G, limit the camera to 3MP, allows wireless tether and removes the FPS barrier?

I've been trying to research these here and there but it seems almost every ROM has something wrong with it. I've been reading threads over on xda but each one is literally 100 pages long. I'm currently on 2.1 with Unrevoked 3 enjoying all of my phones stock capabilities + wireless tether but want to do SimpleRoot to remove the FPS limit and retain my tether as soon as I find a ROM worthy of rooting my phone fully.

Thanks!

I'm by no means trying to say you shouldn't use Fresh, but I just wanted to let you know that you don't need a custom ROM to allow wireless tethering and remove the fps limit. The stock rooted 2.2 will accomplish the same thing. If you would prefer to start with stock, here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J9W1CHST Then you can install Wireless Tether from here: http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...2_0_5-pre8.apk and a custom kernal to unlock fps and overclock, from here: http://www.4shared.com/file/qwjClaO9...263215-Fl.html Enjoy!

Shauli 08-25-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnu (Post 2402957)
is there a trick to using titanium back up?? i have it installed, and it was set to due a full back up, but i cant find the backup. also, is there a way to save the back up to the sd card? i would like to try the new fresh, but i want to back up first. thanks in advance...

If I'm not mistaken, TB only backs up apps and settings but not the actual ROM. To make a FULL backup, either do a Nandroid backup via recovery or use ROM manager.
Btw, another app that backs up settings and apps is 'MyBackup'. I prefer it to TB.

mcnu 08-25-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2403044)
If I'm not mistaken, TB only backs up apps and settings but not the actual ROM. To make a FULL backup, either do a Nandroid backup via recovery or use ROM manager.
Btw, another app that backs up settings and apps is 'MyBackup'. I prefer it to TB.

TB backed up everything accept the ringer settings. all apps, and text messages. very nice, accept the reload took about 10 mins, and needed a reboot for the texts to show up...

pad191 08-25-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt -- HB Cali (Post 2402987)
OK, maybe I will try that one then tonight, thanks! I take it ROM manager and Titanium backup both work fine with this ROM?

Yup, both work fine. ROM Manager is more dependent on the type of recovery you have flashed anyways, so the ROM doesn't matter as much. Good luck!

Noodle 08-26-2010 01:08 AM

So I think I should preface this with I still really like EViO because of it's performance however I have a personal strike 2 against the chef.

Apparently some people over at xda have been looking for a way to fix the compression problem with MMS messages, Calkulin has fixed it in his rom and refuses to even attempt to share it with the community. His response to even some other dev's and chef's has been to just install his rom.

I kinda find that a crappy attitude for a platform that in the Rom, root, etc aspect is meant to be open.

The first strike was with 2.1 when he released a 1.47 stock rom with bad radios compared to whitslacks version.

Anyway he has still cooked a hell of a rom with EViO he just lost some credibility in my book.

rant done.

th3taman 08-26-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2403221)
So I think I should preface this with I still really like EViO because of it's performance however I have a personal strike 2 against the chef.

Apparently some people over at xda have been looking for a way to fix the compression problem with MMS messages, Calkulin has fixed it in his rom and refuses to even attempt to share it with the community. His response to even some other dev's and chef's has been to just install his rom.

I kinda find that a crappy attitude for a platform that in the Rom, root, etc aspect is meant to be open.

The first strike was with 2.1 when he released a 1.47 stock rom with bad radios compared to whitslacks version.

Anyway he has still cooked a hell of a rom with EViO he just lost some credibility in my book.

rant done.

Have to agree with you. I don't know why people post their work or solutions to problems but don't want to share? Keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone if you aren't willing to share with the community.

So you back on Fresh?

tool2269 08-26-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2403221)
Calkulin has fixed it in his rom and refuses to even attempt to share it with the community.

:td: thats bad karma right there

hierowing 08-26-2010 10:54 AM

I've been using DC 3.5 and it's been super solid. It hasn't been updated in a while but I'm not having any problems.

Noodle 08-27-2010 02:09 PM

What's the latest donator version of Fresh. I feel like I missed an email

th3taman 08-27-2010 02:14 PM

Fresh 3.1.0.2

Noodle 08-27-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2403859)
Fresh 3.1.0.2

Ok I didn't miss anything

th3taman 08-27-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2403868)
Ok I didn't miss anything

Nope.

PSkinny121 08-27-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2403221)
Apparently some people over at xda have been looking for a way to fix the compression problem with MMS messages, Calkulin has fixed it in his rom and refuses to even attempt to share it with the community.

What exactly is the problem?

mcnu 08-27-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2403859)
Fresh 3.1.0.2

i loaded this on my evo 2 days ago. i seem to be running thru the battery alot faster with this rom. i was able to go 18 hours with the old one, and still be at 50% when going to bed. i am doing all the same things as before, only diff is now i have the newer fb, which i wasnt able to download on the old rom. i also stopped using the Advanced Task Manager on the old rom, and am not using it on the new one. anyone have any tips, or should i just go back to the old rom?? thanks in advance.

Beer Abuser 08-27-2010 04:26 PM

I'm still on 3.1.0.1 and have a decent battery life, a bit higher than 2.1, I end apps that are not needed / non-internal via applications - manage - hitting force stop and I go to running services and do the same. Note: I only do this on a reboot or if I've been going crazy using a lot of apps...

On a side note, anyone having issues running Sprint NFL app on fresh? I'm able to install, but it just closes on me when I try to run it.

DJay45 08-27-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2403911)
I'm still on 3.1.0.1 and have a decent battery life, a bit higher than 2.1, I end apps that are not needed / non-internal via applications - manage - hitting force stop and I go to running services and do the same. Note: I only do this on a reboot or if I've been going crazy using a lot of apps...

On a side note, anyone having issues running Sprint NFL app on fresh? I'm able to install, but it just closes on me when I try to run it.

Try this sprint nfl apk:

http://www.massmirror.com/86ac373b4b...21c6d64d4.html

Its from this post on XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=291

Quote:

To update the Sprint NFL app:

1. Open Titanium backup, find SprintNFL, click 'wipe data'
2. While still in TI backup, uninstall Sprint NFL
3. Reboot your phone
4. Install the above linked apk file using your favorite file explorer after downloading it to your sdcard (i.e. ASTRO, RootExplorer, etc)
Also I haven't noticed anything different with 3.1.0.2 with battery life but I have been messing with too many kernels lately to notice. I'm getting great battery with Kings kernel bfs #5.

Beer Abuser 08-27-2010 05:46 PM

It worked - Thanks!!! I was all over XDA couple of days ago trying to find a solution and missed this post :D

th3taman 08-27-2010 07:49 PM

Just got an email from Fresh a minute ago and got excited. Then realized it was an update for the Hero. :rolleyes:

Noodle 08-27-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2403983)
Just got an email from Fresh a minute ago and got excited. Then realized it was an update for the Hero. :rolleyes:

heh I saw that too.

DJay45 08-27-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2403946)
It worked - Thanks!!! I was all over XDA couple of days ago trying to find a solution and missed this post :D

Yup glad to help. I had just come across it while looking for something else.

DJay45 08-28-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2403983)
Just got an email from Fresh a minute ago and got excited. Then realized it was an update for the Hero. :rolleyes:

3.2.0.0 is out for donors:

Changes from Fresh Evo 3.1.0.2 to 3.2.0.0:


* Based on a brand new Sprint OTA that hasn't been released yet (3.28.651.1)
* New kernel by HTC (g3a8614e)
o This kernel has been showing some amazing battery life. It is “stock” so it won't give you overclocking however both myself and freshlyill have gone 1.5 days without charging under normal/medium use.

* Unlike my previous roms I have not resigned this rom so a full data wipe is required.
o The Evo is still being actively developed by HTC and Sprint which means there are new updates coming out on a fairly regular basis. My resigning the rom allows for extra modifications to be able to be made and allows for new updates without doing a data wipe however ont he flip side it means that I have to resign any new updates from HTC/Sprint before you can use them. For the time being I have decided to put this rom back to HTC's signature so that as new updates are released on the market by Google (like the new voice search and google maps) or by Sprint (like the new VVM) or by HTC (like the new widgets) then you can get them without having to wait on me to release them.
* Removed the extra HTC widgets being included by default because this rom is no longer re-signed so you can install them yourself through add widgets.
* Updated Sprint Visual Voicemail to v5.1.0.34
* Updated Launcher Pro to 0.7.6.0
* Updated SuperUser to 2.3.4
* Updated DarkTremor apps2sd to 2.7.5 RC3 release C
* Updated ES File Explorer to 1.4.5
* The following files were changed by the new OTA:
o Browser, Calendar, HTC Album, HTC Contacts, Mail, PCSCII, Phone, debuggerd, dmagent, sequansd, a handful of lib files.
o There were no new radios with this update.

fatboy 08-28-2010 11:02 AM

i cant get my weather to show up in the clock it just says my location........grrrrrrrrrrr

Noodle 08-29-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2404113)
i cant get my weather to show up in the clock it just says my location........grrrrrrrrrrr

Try removing the widget and reloading it.

On a side note I'm back to Fresh. Trying out the new 3.2 for the Evo. It feels a little slower than EViO but still nice. Flipz is using the new stock HTC kernal for now with it and I have read great things about battery use especially when the phone is sleeping.

Since it is a stock kernal it caps the FPS at 30 and doesn't support overclocking but for now it seems nice.

mcnu 08-30-2010 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay45 (Post 2404079)
3.2.0.0 is out for donors:

Changes from Fresh Evo 3.1.0.2 to 3.2.0.0:


* Based on a brand new Sprint OTA that hasn't been released yet (3.28.651.1)
* New kernel by HTC (g3a8614e)
o This kernel has been showing some amazing battery life. It is “stock” so it won't give you overclocking however both myself and freshlyill have gone 1.5 days without charging under normal/medium use.

* Unlike my previous roms I have not resigned this rom so a full data wipe is required.
o The Evo is still being actively developed by HTC and Sprint which means there are new updates coming out on a fairly regular basis. My resigning the rom allows for extra modifications to be able to be made and allows for new updates without doing a data wipe however ont he flip side it means that I have to resign any new updates from HTC/Sprint before you can use them. For the time being I have decided to put this rom back to HTC's signature so that as new updates are released on the market by Google (like the new voice search and google maps) or by Sprint (like the new VVM) or by HTC (like the new widgets) then you can get them without having to wait on me to release them.
* Removed the extra HTC widgets being included by default because this rom is no longer re-signed so you can install them yourself through add widgets.
* Updated Sprint Visual Voicemail to v5.1.0.34
* Updated Launcher Pro to 0.7.6.0
* Updated SuperUser to 2.3.4
* Updated DarkTremor apps2sd to 2.7.5 RC3 release C
* Updated ES File Explorer to 1.4.5
* The following files were changed by the new OTA:
o Browser, Calendar, HTC Album, HTC Contacts, Mail, PCSCII, Phone, debuggerd, dmagent, sequansd, a handful of lib files.
o There were no new radios with this update.

where can i donate, i would like that rom :)

th3taman 08-30-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnu (Post 2404706)
where can i donate, i would like that rom :)

Go to http://geekfor.me/

mcnu 08-30-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2404708)

thanks, downloading it now :)

Noodle 08-30-2010 07:50 PM

There is a new version of ra's recovery out too. It adds wimax partition through nandroid as well as a menu option to back up instead of the volume buttons

Shauli 08-30-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2404987)
There is a new version of ra's recovery out too. It adds wimax partition through nandroid as well as a menu option to back up instead of the volume buttons

Would you mind providing a link to the new version? Thanks.
Btw, what does a " wimax partition through Nandroid " mean?

tool2269 08-30-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2404992)
Would you mind providing a link to the new version? Thanks.
Btw, what does a " wimax partition through Nandroid " mean?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026

Shauli 08-30-2010 08:36 PM

Never mind my other question from my previous post. The answer was obvious once I hit the link.
Anyway, very nice to see these improvements for RA recovery.

Noodle 08-30-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2404992)
Would you mind providing a link to the new version? Thanks.
Btw, what does a " wimax partition through Nandroid " mean?

the wimax partition means it will backup your wimax radio with the nandroid backup.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=705026

I flashed it using ConnnectBot directly from my phone but you can use the same commands with adb.

Quote:

via terminal app or adb => Make sure your rom contains flash_image!!

Code:
Copy recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img to the root of your sdcard
start the terminal app or launch adb
su(press enter)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-evo-v1.8.0.img(press enter)
reboot recovery(press enter)
I noticed after I flashed it it shows in ROM manager when you check Flash alternate recovery RA 1.8.0

I didn't check before though so it might even be available to flash with the newest update of Rom Manager. Check first because that would be the easiest way to flash it.

Shauli 08-30-2010 11:13 PM

I tried flashing the new version of RA recovery through ROM manager. Although theoretically it is the easiest way to flash, ROM manager seems to have a bug which basically makes it seem like it changed recoveries but in reality it didn't. When I booted into recovery I was still greeted with the previous version of RA recovery. The same thing happened in the past when I tried to switch from Clockwork to RA, but I managed in the end to work it out. I'll see if I can get it to work again.
What are the other ways to flash? I'm not familiar with ConnectBot, and I've never used adb commands. Am I right that the terminal emulator app can accomplish the same thing with the above code?

Shauli 08-30-2010 11:58 PM

Ok, I gave up on ROM manager. I read somewhere that I need to reflash Clockwork, reboot and then flash alternate recovery. I decided to give a shot to the terminal emulator app, and I discovered it's easier than I thought. I now have the latest version of RA recovery. One thing I noticed is that you can only use the stock keyboard with the terminal emulator. I wonder why. My guess is that you can't use other apps with the terminal emulator, and the non-stock keyboards are essentially apps.

Noodle 08-31-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2405100)
Ok, I gave up on ROM manager. I read somewhere that I need to reflash Clockwork, reboot and then flash alternate recovery. I decided to give a shot to the terminal emulator app, and I discovered it's easier than I thought. I now have the latest version of RA recovery. One thing I noticed is that you can only use the stock keyboard with the terminal emulator. I wonder why. My guess is that you can't use other apps with the terminal emulator, and the non-stock keyboards are essentially apps.

sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Shauli. connectBot is just a terminal emulator. So yeah it saves you having to use adb. You can just run the same commands straight from your phone. A handy little app in my mind. (well any terminal emulator is)

Shauli 08-31-2010 06:38 AM

Yeah, thanks. I figured it was probably the same idea as the app I used - 'Android Terminal Emulator '.
It's pretty neat that you can do all these things straight from the phone. I mean, you barely need to connect to a computer. I move the file with ES File Explorer and flash it with the terminal emulator! Life is great...

mcnu 08-31-2010 04:12 PM

running fresh 3.2 and seems like my battery is draing way too fast. i woke up at 2:30 today, and im currently at 61%. the only thing im doing different is i am using the stock evo red battery, and i was using a black replacement for a tp2. any ideas??

Noodle 08-31-2010 05:13 PM

Try going into your recovery and wiping the battery stats

jfs937 09-03-2010 09:55 PM

Lots of new & updated Roms over at XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=653

boomhower 09-04-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2405461)
Try going into your recovery and wiping the battery stats

I'll have to try that as well. On my first day I only got around 14 hours of light use. I could go much longer than that on CM6 RC1, up to 24hrs with light use.

tbakergobuck 09-04-2010 10:04 AM

I'm a newbie to the Roms. lol I tried CyanogenMod-6 - No Sense but it failed to load (7). I'm running Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0

Shauli 09-05-2010 06:23 PM

So last night I helped my friend root his HERO and I flashed CyanogenMod 6.0 on it. What can I say. They did a nice job on that ROM. One feature I really liked was full right-to-left support for RTL languages, like Hebrew. I would switch in a heartbeat, but unfortunately there is no 4G support at this time, and that is a deal breaker for me. :-(

th3taman 09-05-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2407888)
So last night I helped my friend root his HERO and I flashed CyanogenMod 6.0 on it. What can I say. They did a nice job on that ROM. One feature I really liked was full right-to-left support for RTL languages, like Hebrew. I would switch in a heartbeat, but unfortunately there is no 4G support at this time, and that is a deal breaker for me. :-(

Why not put CM6 on your EVO? Why would you want to go to a device that is a step down technology wise?

Shauli 09-05-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2407924)
Why not put CM6 on your EVO? Why would you want to go to a device that is a step down technology wise?

What I was saying was that I put CM6 on my friend's HERO, but I'm sticking with Stock 2.2 on my EVO as long as there is no 4G support on CM6. I would never downgrade to the HERO, that thing is sooooo slow and underpowered compared to the EVO!

th3taman 09-05-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2407931)
What I was saying was that I put CM6 omy friend's HERO, but I'm sticking with Stock 2.2 on my EVO as long as there is no 4G support on CM6. I would never downgrade to the HERO, that thing is sooooo slow and underpowered compared to the EVO!

Ah, now I understand. Forgot CM6 doesn't have 4G. Doesn't matter to me since I still don't have 4G. :(

Shauli 09-05-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2407933)
Ah, now I understand. Forgot CM6 doesn't have 4G. Doesn't matter to me since I still don't have 4G. :(

That's too bad. I hope you get it soon. The EVO is a beast on 3G too, but you don't know what you're missing till you experience it.

Noodle 09-06-2010 02:27 AM

I don't have 4G where I live but got to towy around with it in the Chicago area a few weeks ago. Nice and speedy but for most of what I do 3G actually still works just fine for me.

DJay45 09-06-2010 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2408059)
I don't have 4G where I live but got to towy around with it in the Chicago area a few weeks ago. Nice and speedy but for most of what I do 3G actually still works just fine for me.

4g isn't fully rolled out where I am but in spots where it is all I do is turn it on, check out the signal, run a speedtest, ooh then ahhh, then turn 4g back off to save battery lol. I can't really think of anything significant that I really need 4g for ( except tethering ) that I can't do with good 3g signal. Youtube HQ maybe? Making Iphone users jealous? lol

Noodle 09-06-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay45 (Post 2408071)
4g isn't fully rolled out where I am but in spots where it is all I do is turn it on, check out the signal, run a speedtest, ooh then ahhh, then turn 4g back off to save battery lol. I can't really think of anything significant that I really need 4g for ( except tethering ) that I can't do with good 3g signal. Youtube HQ maybe? Making Iphone users jealous? lol

All good points :-)

Shauli 09-06-2010 08:50 AM

I agree that for average daily use you don't really need 4G. I also keep it off most of the time. But where it comes in handy is when I'm watching Sprint TV or downloading a new ROM from MegaUpload...

DJay45 09-23-2010 12:56 AM

From flipz twitter:

Donor just for the night because I'm sleepy and need to make sure it's tested. :) Public in the morning. No wipe.

So donors might be getting an email sometime tonight for an updated Fresh ROM based on the new OTA.. hopefully lol.

BrettW 09-23-2010 01:27 AM

actually i got the donor email before the tweet went out lol, im installing now :-)

DJay45 09-23-2010 01:50 AM

Just finished flashing over 3.2 with no wipe. Loving the FPS unlock. Getting 53-54 FPS on FPS2D with a 6.5-7.5 stdev. I'm not including a quadrant cause my SD card has kinda crappy performance. I never thought I would really notice the difference from 30 fps to 54 fps but it does make a difference lol.

Debating if I should try putting themes back on or waiting until the theme guys update.

DJay45 09-23-2010 01:52 AM

He also included a seperate flashable for the new radio & PRI included in the OTA.

http://geekfor.me/evo/radio/baseband-215000901/

That's a public link for the flashable radio/PRI.

Beer Abuser 09-23-2010 01:58 AM

Now its really time for me to upgrade to 3.2 :lol:

Silly question here, would the additional fps affect the battery life, due to the refreshing rate? If so, i guess less than 1%? Thoughts?

BrettW 09-23-2010 02:03 AM

well its working no problem except for some reason the htc ime mod keeps crashing... hmm

BrettW 09-23-2010 02:09 AM

ah fixed that just a settings issue, removed it from system re-installed and good to go

DJay45 09-23-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2415111)
Now its really time for me to upgrade to 3.2 :lol:

Silly question here, would the additional fps affect the battery life, due to the refreshing rate? If so, i guess less than 1%? Thoughts?

Hmm.. I never thought about that. I don't know if it would affect battery life much if at all.

@BrettW .. I'm getting the HTC_IME mod FC'ing on me too. I didn't notice cause I was using swype. Tested it when you mentioned it.

BrettW 09-23-2010 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay45 (Post 2415115)
Hmm.. I never thought about that. I don't know if it would affect battery life much if at all.

@BrettW .. I'm getting the HTC_IME mod FC'ing on me too. I didn't notice cause I was using swype. Tested it when you mentioned it.

yea dont know whats causing that but i just deleted it from /system/app and reinstalled it and it worked fine

Norwester 09-23-2010 03:30 AM

I flashed the new radio and pri an hour ago & it looks like I'm getting a better signal now. Downloading 3.3 now but I'll probably not install till tomorrow night.

mcnu 09-23-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay45 (Post 2415110)
He also included a seperate flashable for the new radio & PRI included in the OTA.

http://geekfor.me/evo/radio/baseband-215000901/

That's a public link for the flashable radio/PRI.

i have 3.3.0.1 currently on my phone. i am unable to flash the radio, i have it on the sd card, and keep flashing it, but it doesnt seem to stick. also, once i do the titianium back up, i loose all the icons on the main screen, and have no side screens. any ideas :(

tool2269 09-23-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnu (Post 2415437)
i have 3.3.0.1 currently on my phone. i am unable to flash the radio, i have it on the sd card, and keep flashing it, but it doesnt seem to stick. also, once i do the titianium back up, i loose all the icons on the main screen, and have no side screens. any ideas :(

did you have 3.2 before? if so revert back to that backup.. then just flash 3.3 over it wiping only cache and dalvik. that way you shouldnt lose any icons/screens.

Diana Prince 09-23-2010 09:11 PM

Flashed OMJ's new ROM (with update) and the updated PRI and radios. Everything is working nicely.

pad191 09-23-2010 09:30 PM

Just updated to 3.3 from 3.2 without formatting, but I did wipe cache and davlink before flashing the new radio, then wiped cache and davlink again before flashing the ROM. Everything seems to be working, loving the fps unlock!

DJay45 09-24-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad191 (Post 2415511)
Just updated to 3.3 from 3.2 without formatting, but I did wipe cache and davlink before flashing the new radio, then wiped cache and davlink again before flashing the ROM. Everything seems to be working, loving the fps unlock!

Ya its pretty nice. Couldn't stop playing with my phone all day lol. I had the fps unlock before Fresh 3.2 cause I was using custom kernel's, went to 3.2 with the stock kernel and 30 fps and now back to unlocked FPS. I never thought it would make such a huge difference!

mcnu 09-24-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2415497)
did you have 3.2 before? if so revert back to that backup.. then just flash 3.3 over it wiping only cache and dalvik. that way you shouldnt lose any icons/screens.

ok thanks, ill try that. i have the radio, but am unable to get the prl, any ideas...

Noodle 09-24-2010 10:02 AM

Fresh 3.3.0.1 working fine for me. I just wiped the cache and dalvik as well. Rom first then radio update.

badassdes 09-24-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2415635)
Fresh 3.3.0.1 working fine for me. I just wiped the cache and dalvik as well. Rom first then radio update.

Same here. Overall everything is running well. Only signal reception went down a little bit...

tool2269 09-25-2010 10:32 AM

you guys w/ Fresh 3.3.. have you had any problems updating your 'profile'? mine seems to just sit there doing nothing for almost 10minutes until force a reboot. if i update the profile via another 'rom' will it stick when i flash fresh 3.3? or would i have to update it again?

pad191 09-25-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2415965)
you guys w/ Fresh 3.3.. have you had any problems updating your 'profile'? mine seems to just sit there doing nothing for almost 10minutes until force a reboot. if i update the profile via another 'rom' will it stick when i flash fresh 3.3? or would i have to update it again?

I feel like there's no way to see what "version" profile you have. I just update it periodically, but I don't think it really changes from time to time, so your previous profile should be just fine. I haven't had any issues updating profile, in fact, I just tried it right now and it updated fine. I suggest trying in an area with strong signal if you're not already.

Beer Abuser 09-25-2010 06:30 PM

In my experience, updating profile is for data / voice problems, not really sure it updates any other essential versions, I.e. radio, prl, pri, etc.

pad191 09-27-2010 05:45 PM

Got a question for those of you who are using Fresh 3.3. Is anyone using a different kernel or are you sticking with the one included with the newest Fresh ROM? If yes, then which kernel did you choose to flash on top? What are the benefits and the known bugs (if any)?

Appreciate the input.

pad191 09-27-2010 10:38 PM

Never mind, went ahead and flashed netarchy's 4.1.9.1. I accidentally flashed the regular zip without thinking and got stuck on the boot screen, restored my nandroid and flashed the fresh compatible one this time.

FPS went up by 1 (to 52), Linpack slightly higher, maybe 1-2 MFLOPS higher on avg (to 37 avg), but Quadrant roared higher with a score of 1531 compared to below 1200 before.

Now I'll just need to break the kernel in and see how the battery holds up.

Anyone using a different kernel? What's your setup for SetCPU in terms of overclocking and profiles?

Beer Abuser 09-27-2010 11:23 PM

I don't think many people here have been messing with kernels; I think if someone is able to overclock it & maintain same or greater battery life, you'll see more users.

For myself, 998 is enough, but if you're able to run it at 1152 & have same battery life, let me know and I'll jump on board lol.

P.s. You should be getting 1,300+ benchmark at 998mhz and on fresh 3.3, at least from what I've seen posted =\.

DJay45 09-27-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2416967)
I don't think many people here have been messing with kernels; I think if someone is able to overclock it & maintain same or greater battery life, you'll see more users.

For myself, 998 is enough, but if you're able to run it at 1152 & have same battery life, let me know and I'll jump on board lol.

P.s. You should be getting 1,300+ benchmark at 998mhz and on fresh 3.3, at least from what I've seen posted =\.

I used king's kernel cfs # 6 for a while them switched to net's 4191 cfs and really liked that. I could over clock to 1190 and still get 12 14 hours out of my phone. Been using the stock kernel since fresh 3.2 and haven't really missed the over clock but the jury is still out on whether battery life is truly better on this new htc stock kernel

Beer Abuser 09-28-2010 01:26 AM

I'll take some snapshots before I upgrade to 3.3, but I should do a wipe on 3.1, then pics, then 3.3, pics again (to make it even lol).

DJay45 09-28-2010 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad191 (Post 2416956)
Never mind, went ahead and flashed netarchy's 4.1.9.1. I accidentally flashed the regular zip without thinking and got stuck on the boot screen, restored my nandroid and flashed the fresh compatible one this time.

FPS went up by 1 (to 52), Linpack slightly higher, maybe 1-2 MFLOPS higher on avg (to 37 avg), but Quadrant roared higher with a score of 1531 compared to below 1200 before.

Now I'll just need to break the kernel in and see how the battery holds up.

Anyone using a different kernel? What's your setup for SetCPU in terms of overclocking and profiles?

When I did use Netarchy's 4.1.9.1 CFS version. I had 1190 max 245 min charging - ondemand, 576 max 245 min screen-off - conservative, and 1190 max 245 min battery - conservative. It was the most stable custom kernel for me. I did try just about all of King's kernels as well but some of his CFS kernel's would just lag the hell out of my phone. I could not use the BFS version of any kernel as it would cause some apps to lag or lock up ( actually just 2 games, Pirates and Traders / Baseball Superstars )

th3taman 09-28-2010 07:19 AM

I just flashed netarchy's 4.19.1 kernel yesterday because I wanted to see if I could get rid of some lag on my keyboard in certain apps. Still testing out...hoping for slightly better battery life too.

I'm using Fresh 3.3 too. I have used netarchy's kernels and then switched to King's. Was going to flash one of his most recent till I saw all the possible battery and awake times. He is supposed to be getting his EVO really soon...so hoping for some good stuff in the future. For now, I switched back to netarchy.

I've been flashing kernels out of boredom. :lol:

pad191 09-28-2010 08:38 AM

Apparently Netarchy is working on a new one right now and King should get his EVO any day now so he can refine that #10 kernel that turned out to be quite awful.

Do you think kernels can affect radios? Since flashing, I feel like my WiMAX radio is having trouble finding signal in places I tested just a few days ago. And speeds seem to be down too. But I haven't done a thorough field test. On my way home where I've tested numerous times, I'll run some tests again. I really don't think kernels mess with radios so I don't see how something like that could have changed. It might just be all in my head :D.

I'm overclocked at 1152 max 384 min on demand for general settings. Battery < 50%, 998/384 on demand, Battery < 15%, 576/245 conservative, Screen Off 245/245 conservative.

I actually just changed these settings in SetCPU. I'll let you guys know how battery life seems to have changed compared to the stock kernel in Fresh 3.3. So far it's been somewhat worse (but that's because I had everything set to performance lol).

Also, it seems that even though it benchmarks more, for some reason, Fresh 3.3 felt smoother. I think HTC really has done something special with the FPS unlock so we'll have to wait for them to release the source code and for someone to base kernels off that before we see really improved perforamance.

I don't think the overclock makes THAT much of a difference, but it has shortened load times for certain applications.

Can someone explain the difference between CFS and BFS? I flashed 4.1.9.1 BFS because it seemed like the majority of nertarchy kernel users on xda had chosen that one.

Also, one last question, if restoring a nandroid backup, is there a possibility of lingering effects carrying over from whatever you've messed with after backing up, or when you restore does your phone become the EXACT same it was when you created the backup? I mainly want to know if somehow you break the radios in the process of flashing, do they restore with the nandroid or would you have to reflash the radio files?

Thanks for the help :)

Diana Prince 09-28-2010 08:51 AM

I'm also using Netarchy's most current kernel but I'm using it on OMJ's v3.3 ROM. I'm gonna try some of the SetCPU settings suggested here and report back.

badassdes 09-28-2010 12:31 PM

OMG, I'm so lost... FPS, Wimax, MFLOPS, CFS and BFS... :dazed:

Guess I still need to do a lot of reading.... :read1:


:tu:

pad191 09-28-2010 12:39 PM

Lol, I can help you out with some of that.

FPS is Frames Per Second, higher FPS means the screen has a higher refresh rate so things seem to flow smoother and everything becomes snappier.

WiMAX is the name given to the network that Sprint's 4G comes from. There are 2 kinds of 4G networks, WiMAX and LTE (Long Term Evolution). Pretty much every other carrier is going for LTE. LTE is purported to have better penetration through buildings, but about the same speeds as WiMAX 4G. MetroPCS is rolling out the first LTE network in Las Vegas later this year so once that goes up, we'll see how it compares to WiMAX. The WiMAX radio is the device within the EVO that enables it to connect to 4G.

MFLOPS - Not sure what this stands for or what it does really. But there's an app in the Market called Linpack and it measures MFLOPS (I think it's basically a quick and dirty look at the phone's processing power in a concise number).

CFS/BFS, I don't know, hoping someone here does :D.

DJay45 09-28-2010 02:59 PM

CFS and BFS are both schedulers for linux kernels ( which android is ). They pretty much schedule what the CPU processes so that multi-tasking is done properly. Honestly both are good, BFS is one of the newer schedulers to arrive on the scene. You will probably find that BFS scores better on benchmarks but will probably not find much difference in day to day use between either.

I personally prefer CFS kernels just because BFS doesn't seem to play nice with a couple games I have, other than that I have not noticed any real difference except in benchmarks.

Best thing to do is try both and see what works best for you. As always nandroid backup, then wipe both cache & dalvik cache before installing.

There is a more technical discussion here, which made my head explode and I'm still cleaning up the mess lol

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data...el-schulte.pdf

VdubTX 09-28-2010 03:02 PM

Loaded the latest release 3.29 rooted stock Rom with Manup theme over it. Works great and I am seeing some nice battery life on it so far.

pad191 09-28-2010 03:32 PM

Lol, so I upped the max on SetCPU to 1190 and that caused loads of problems. Ending up having to revert back to my backup prior to flashing the netarchy kernel. Now I'm back on Fresh's default kernel (the new HTC one) and it seems to perform better than netarchy's was overall. I think I'll stick with this set-up until newer custom kernels are released based upon the newest HTC one.

th3taman 09-28-2010 04:06 PM

You know kernels work a lot better when you flash the right one related. I'm such a dunce. :huh:

pad191 09-28-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2417258)
You know kernels work a lot better when you flash the right one related. I'm such a dunce. :huh:

I did the exact same thing haha. Which kernel? It's weird, even though I have 51 fps with 10 sd on fresh, it feels smoother than the 52 with 3-4 sd I had on netarchy's.

th3taman 09-28-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad191 (Post 2417267)
I did the exact same thing haha. Which kernel? It's weird, even though I have 51 fps with 10 sd on fresh, it feels smoother than the 52 with 3-4 sd I had on netarchy's.

Netarchy's I downloaded the top one instead of the Fresh compatible. Couldn't believe I made that mistake. :lol:

pad191 09-28-2010 04:27 PM

Haha, that's the same one I did my first time too! Couldn't figure out if it was frozen on the boot screen or if it was taking its sweet time. finally did the battery pull and re flashed the correct one

DJay45 09-28-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad191 (Post 2417267)
I did the exact same thing haha. Which kernel? It's weird, even though I have 51 fps with 10 sd on fresh, it feels smoother than the 52 with 3-4 sd I had on netarchy's.

Been pretty happy with stock HTC kernel. Can't wait until they release the source code so that King & Netarchy can get their hands on it. Been off charger for 11h 20m and at 78% battery. Granted I was sleeping for 6 of those hours but I have sync'ing & Titanium Backup setup. I'm also in an area with great signal ( airave signal ) so that really helps keep battery life. I think searching for signal kills my battery more than watching a movie.

badassdes 09-28-2010 08:06 PM

Thanks Pad191 and DJay45 for the info. it helped! I do need to keep reading though.

Now, If I'm running Fresh 3.3.0,1 with the default kernel and the new radio/PRI, do you recommend to do anything with the FPS? and how is that done? Soooo the wimax is only for 4G? ...Since I don't get 4G where I reside, I think I should not do anything to the "wimax", right? And.. (this is what I don't understand) does the kernel that came with Fresh have CFS and BFS? Are these part of Fresh (ROM) or the telephone come with them? Do I need to do something? :huh:

Sigh**

pad191 09-28-2010 08:15 PM

Eh, I'd stick to the Fresh kernel if I were you. Like I said, I tried Netarchy's, got my phone into a nasty place by trying to overclock to 1190, and restored my nandroid of Fresh. Having been back on Fresh the rest of today, I can definitely see the difference. I think HTC really outdid themselves with this latest kernel. The battery life is good, the FPS and overall flow is great. Hard to find anything wrong with it.

CFS/BFS only matter for custom kernels I believe since the HTC kernel doesn't use those things. Also, Fresh only uses HTC kernels for his ROMs, so you're using the official kernel right now, and it's not a bad one!

badassdes 09-28-2010 08:33 PM

Got ya'! :tu:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.


- SprintUsers.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sprint PCS -