SprintUsers.com

SprintUsers.com (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php)
-   HTC (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   EVO Custom ROM's Thread (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209631)

KB112 12-15-2010 10:24 PM

Myn's is cool as eff. :) I just really like it. Added vanilla lockscreen, 4x5 Rosie settings and a few other things.

Noodle 12-16-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2454122)
The only way I see myself leaving CM6.1 is if I actually EVER get 4G in my area.

*Glares at Sprint*

How do you deal with the no voicemail and crappy vanilla calendar.

I love ADW with CM6 however the only way I seem to get my slight sense stuff is through Launcher Pro.

What on earth are you doing to get the best of both worlds.

th3taman 12-16-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2454204)
How do you deal with the no voicemail and crappy vanilla calendar.

I love ADW with CM6 however the only way I seem to get my slight sense stuff is through Launcher Pro.

What on earth are you doing to get the best of both worlds.

Well, I hardly ever get voicemails. If I do, I get the little icon in the status bar and go into the Voicemail app from there. I don't see the point of a voicemail widget unless you get multiply voicemails a day...in which case, why not just answer the call? Just curious. ;)

I do remember there being a nice looking Sense Calendar widget, but it wasn't very functional. I use CalWidget and S2 Calender Widget. What do you want on a Calendar that you don't get on CM6?

I don't use ADW, I use Launcher Pro plus...I haven't tried ADW since my Hero days...although I've consider it. I feel LP plus has more options that I want to use such as swipe gestures from the icons, scrollable icon dock, and resizable widgets (although I believe ADW does this in a clunkier way).

I love the gestures from the CM6.1 lockscreen, so easy to get into certain apps. CM6.1 now utilizes the WiMax LED for SMS and email which is cool (two different colors). I also like being able to change the colors of the icon bar, pull down bar, and the associated text.

If I "ever" see 4G in my area, I would probably try out another ROM. Till then, it's CM6.1 for me.

Speaking of, Cyanogen just release CM6.1.1! I need to see what's in that. :D :tu:

tbakergobuck 12-16-2010 08:11 AM

I've tried Cm6 three times and like the speed but I can't stand the voice mails sent as texts. I've tried fixing it and also had issues trying to putting a gingerbread theme on. Sometimes I don't have my phone on me at work so I get a lot of voice mails. I think I prefer sense. Still using Mikfroyo. WiMax Led is cool but once you get 4G then you can't use the light or maybe u can. I stopped using it because it's slow. Handcent has the option to change the color and make it blink faster.

Noodle 12-16-2010 04:44 PM

I'm sad I had to unroot my phone today. *sigh* screen is being replaced.

Diana Prince 12-16-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2454484)

Sorry to hear that Noodle. I know how you love your root. Once it's fixed you'll be back in no time. No worries. :)

thekarens 12-16-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

The only way I see myself leaving CM6.1 is if I actually EVER get 4G in my area.

*Glares at Sprint*

I have an excellent 4g signal where I live and CM6.1.1 (which just came out! yay!) is still my daily driver. I rarely used 4g. It's a battery hog (though I liked having the option)

As far as VM goes everyone who knows me knows better than to leave me a VM. I don't use it and never check it. If my phone were a business phone that would be a different matter. There are apps for the calendar issue, but vanilla gmail calendar is good enough for me.

I've tried several times, but I always end up going back to CM. Vanilla Android FTW!

BrettW 12-16-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle

I have to do that eventually since I have a dust farm under my screen I only see it in direct sunlight so I may just ignore it until the shift 4g comes out and just upgrade

th3taman 12-17-2010 06:03 AM

Why did you unroot? As long as you had a rooted stock ROM, would it matter?

My vibrate acts up occasionally but I haven't done anything because I don't know if they will replace the phone. Don't want to lose root either.

Noodle 12-17-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman (Post 2454631)
Why did you unroot? As long as you had a rooted stock ROM, would it matter?

My vibrate acts up occasionally but I haven't done anything because I don't know if they will replace the phone. Don't want to lose root either.

I figured in the off chance that even with a root safe stock rom on there that they could have tried to boot into recovery and see a custom recovery on there. Or if while fixing it they go into the bootloader and it will show S-Off along with the Eng hboot.

then they could just deny fixing it and flag my account with a warranty voided phone.

It will be fine. I'll get root back. I just hate dealing with stock sense and all my fun root only apps. :hee:

th3taman 12-18-2010 12:54 PM

It's not released yet, but Cyanogen and his group have enabled WiMax on CM ROM for EVO! :clap:

badassdes 12-18-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

The only way I see myself leaving CM6.1 is if I actually EVER get 4G in my area. *Glares at Sprint*

WERD! I have been trying different ROMs lately but I always end up going back to CM. FOR ME, is the best ROM for the EVO... :clap:

Shauli 12-18-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetaman
It's not released yet, but Cyanogen and his group have enabled WiMax on CM ROM for EVO! :clap:

What's even better is that the source code of Gingerbread has been released, and it's increasingly looking like we're going to have a CM Gingerbread ROM with 4G enabled in the near future... :-)

th3taman 12-18-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2455218)
What's even better is that the source code of Gingerbread has been released, and it's increasingly looking like we're going to have a CM Gingerbread ROM with 4G enabled in the near future... :-)

That would be awesome!

Norwester 12-19-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2454818)
I figured in the off chance that even with a root safe stock rom on there that they could have tried to boot into recovery and see a custom recovery on there. Or if while fixing it they go into the bootloader and it will show S-Off along with the Eng hboot.

then they could just deny fixing it and flag my account with a warranty voided phone.

It will be fine. I'll get root back. I just hate dealing with stock sense and all my fun root only apps. :hee:

Maybe they'll do you a favor and download the OTA update for you while they're at it! :huh: :ohcrap:

Cam 12-19-2010 12:18 PM

I have been thinking about rooting my evo. I have unrevoked on my PC. I am just unsure what Rom's I should try to run. From reading it seems that people are partial to Fresh and CM6. I have already updated to the new HTC rom.

Any recommendations?

Diana Prince 12-19-2010 12:35 PM

Checkout the htc evo rom list at ppcgeeks. You can read about what each rom includes. I also did a YouTube search so i could see some of the roms in action on the evo. People enjoy different roms for different reasons, ultimately it's about what works best for you.

unbreakableblue 12-19-2010 08:23 PM

W00t! Fresh 3.5 is out! Gonna test it out now!

unbreakableblue 12-19-2010 09:24 PM

...and I can't get the market to stop FC'ing. Did multiple clean wipes, no answer on xda yet. So it's back to warm rls4 I go! (for now :) )

Diana Prince 12-19-2010 09:39 PM

Trying out Cyanogen to see what all the fuss is about.

fatboy 12-19-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbreakableblue (Post 2455663)
W00t! Fresh 3.5 is out! Gonna test it out now!

lemme know how it is I dont feel like flashing Im realling like warm im not sure i can go back to fresh :confused:

unbreakableblue 12-20-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2455697)
lemme know how it is I dont feel like flashing Im realling like warm im not sure i can go back to fresh :confused:

I had to go back to warm, the market FC issue w/3.5 was too much for me. Aesthetically, warm is better (imo) anyway. I'll give Fresh another shot when the bugs get worked out, but I don't think it's anything earth shattering.

As an aside, I updated my radio/wimax/pri/nv and was unable to restore warm rls4 (phone hung on the white boot screen). Apparently those things don't mix. Once I flashed the older stuff, though, I was good to go again. Just a head's up.

edit: to be fair, I installed the updates as a package, so I'm not sure which one actually boned me. I didn't have the patience to go through them one by one afterwards, so I pulled them all.

BrettW 12-20-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbreakableblue (Post 2455947)
I had to go back to warm, the market FC issue w/3.5 was too much for me. Aesthetically, warm is better (imo) anyway. I'll give Fresh another shot when the bugs get worked out, but I don't think it's anything earth shattering.

As an aside, I updated my radio/wimax/pri/nv and was unable to restore warm rls4 (phone hung on the white boot screen). Apparently those things don't mix. Once I flashed the older stuff, though, I was good to go again. Just a head's up.

edit: to be fair, I installed the updates as a package, so I'm not sure which one actually boned me. I didn't have the patience to go through them one by one afterwards, so I pulled them all.

some kernels dont like the new combo i had that issue with the desire HD rom I am running, flashed tost/netarchy's 4.2.1 kernel and booted right up

Noodle 12-20-2010 01:04 PM

what's missing on the Desire HD rom? I did some brief reading on it and it looks cool.

On a side note I just picked up my new Evo from the Sprint store. :-) Well it's a refurb but looks just fine. 003 hardware version and the battery door sits flush no more white spots on the screen. Weird thing is the power button sits more flush with the bezel than before.

time to root this sucka. first thing I said when I walked into the store to get it was for them not to bother setting it up I could take care of it. I didn't want to run the risk of getting it updated. .97 hboot and firmware 3.29

thekarens 12-20-2010 04:11 PM

Your best bet is to try several and see which works best for you. CM is my first love and the one I always go back to, but in-between times I try out others.

VdubTX 12-20-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbreakableblue (Post 2455947)

Wait until flipz releases the update to Public and then most of the bugs should be worked out.

BrettW 12-20-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2455972)
what's missing on the Desire HD rom? I did some brief reading on it and it looks cool.

On a side note I just picked up my new Evo from the Sprint store. :-) Well it's a refurb but looks just fine. 003 hardware version and the battery door sits flush no more white spots on the screen. Weird thing is the power button sits more flush with the bezel than before.

time to root this sucka. first thing I said when I walked into the store to get it was for them not to bother setting it up I could take care of it. I didn't want to run the risk of getting it updated. .97 hboot and firmware 3.29

4G is missing, and 720P video recording doesnt work, front camera support from the camera app is missing too. Other then that everything works,

oh yea and because its a port from a GSM rom the voicmail notification comes up too and the only way to remove it is to go into settings and clear the notification then it wont come back until you get a new VM or restart.

Noodle 12-20-2010 06:50 PM

I'm back baby! After a few hours of the phone not recognizing the PC36IMG and then loosing USB support and having to re-download the PC36IMG 3 times and transferring it via microsd reader... I have root! Up and running Fresh 3.5.0 however does anyone know if I can use my nandroid backup from 3.30 even though I have changed hardware (003)

I'm a little nervous to try.

Shauli 12-20-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle
I'm back baby! After a few hours of the phone not recognizing the PC36IMG and then loosing USB support and having to re-download the PC36IMG 3 times and transferring it via microsd reader... I have root! Up and running Fresh 3.5.0 however does anyone know if I can use my nandroid backup from 3.30 even though I have changed hardware (003)

Didn't you have an 0002 before? I thought they used the same software.

BrettW 12-20-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456207)

i have heard bad stories of broken wimax due to the RSA keys being restored from 1 evo to another, moral of the story its been told not to do it.

KB112 12-20-2010 08:14 PM

On a sidenote...how do you know if your RSA keys are intact? I mean I am not close enough to 4G. Its available like 30 minutes each direction from me, but I have never tested it out. So aside from going somewhere with guaranteed 4G, how do I know otherwise if it's ok?

Noodle 12-20-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2456214)
Didn't you have an 0002 before? I thought they used the same software.

I did. The replacement sprint sent me is the 003.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettW (Post 2456215)
i have heard bad stories of broken wimax due to the RSA keys being restored from 1 evo to another, moral of the story its been told not to do it.

Yeah I decided to just restore my apps and such. I at least have my LauncherPro data saved so I will still have my main layout.

BTW yeah the FC with the Market in Fresh 3.5 is quite annoying. Everything else works ok.

Also if anyone wants I pulled the Telenav off my Optimus S. Same thing as the Sprint branded one just without the Sprint branding.

BrettW 12-20-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456242)
I did. The replacement sprint sent me is the 003.

Yeah I decided to just restore my apps and such. I at least have my LauncherPro data saved so I will still have my main layout.

BTW yeah the FC with the Market in Fresh 3.5 is quite annoying. Everything else works ok.

Also if anyone wants I pulled the Telenav off my Optimus S. Same thing as the Sprint branded one just without the Sprint branding.

3.5.0.1 just dropped with a market FC fix

BrettW 12-20-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB112 (Post 2456239)
On a sidenote...how do you know if your RSA keys are intact? I mean I am not close enough to 4G. Its available like 30 minutes each direction from me, but I have never tested it out. So aside from going somewhere with guaranteed 4G, how do I know otherwise if it's ok?

uhhh *heads to google*

uhh google sez..

1. Download terminal emulator from the market. Then open it.
2.Type "su" (without quotes) press enter.
3.# will now show up.
4.Type: "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0" (again no quotes). Press enter.
Give it a few seconds and a bunch of stuff will appear. Now to assure you still have your RSA keys look for this at the end:
-------BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEYS------
-------END RSA PRIVATE KEYS------

KB112 12-20-2010 08:45 PM

Gracias Brett...I'm usually a search king...dunno why I didn't think of that. :thought: Xmas shopping with a 6wk old, 5yr old and 10yr old can leave your brain fried when you get home. My apologies.

fatboy 12-20-2010 09:11 PM

going to flash fresh 3.5.0.1 being theres talk of working 4g in mesa az so i want the new radios and such ill go back to myns prolly when he does RLS 5

fatboy 12-20-2010 09:32 PM

ugh after 4 minutes with fresh i miss warm allready its just so more visually pleasing

KB112 12-20-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2456278)
ugh after 4 minutes with fresh i miss warm allready its just so more visually pleasing

I kinda know what you mean. :) I am just really pleased with Myns ROM. Fresh had the 2 first ROMs I ever used and they are great. I am just really comfortable with MYN's though.

PS - Thanks again Brett. My RSA keys are still intact Homie. :)

Noodle 12-20-2010 09:41 PM

Fresh 3.5.0.1 done and done. Gonna do some reading on Warm though.

Why do all these people pull out the custom boot sound in their roms. I personally like the boot sound. It lets me know I'm stuck in a boot loop most of the time.

unbreakableblue 12-20-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2456269)
going to flash fresh 3.5.0.1 being theres talk of working 4g in mesa az so i want the new radios and such ill go back to myns prolly when he does RLS 5

I got an email from Flipz saying that they've fixed the market FC's so you should be good to go.

edit: lol at the visual aspect of your post. Yeah, warm really has the look down right now. Gonna be pretty tough to beat.

tool2269 12-20-2010 10:28 PM

anyone try Azreal? I got tired of waiting for Fresh so I'm trying this one.. so far so good.

not sure if its 3.70 or the rom, but there's alot of 'transitions' compared to fresh 3.4 ..ie text messages swooshing into the screen rather than just 'popping up'..etc.

now if i can just find a battery percentage for the top bar, i'll be set.

fatboy 12-20-2010 10:33 PM

Is there any way we can get the flip clock on fresh?

Noodle 12-20-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2456313)
Is there any way we can get the flip clock on fresh?

I use Beautiful Widgets and it has some nice clock skins. Many of which are takes on the flip clock. You can actually just use sense with Fresh and you will have the flip clock the easy way.

Norwester 12-21-2010 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2456310)
anyone try Azreal? I got tired of waiting for Fresh so I'm trying this one.. so far so good.

not sure if its 3.70 or the rom, but there's alot of 'transitions' compared to fresh 3.4 ..ie text messages swooshing into the screen rather than just 'popping up'..etc.

now if i can just find a battery percentage for the top bar, i'll be set.

He did a nice job on that one. The transitions are fantastic!

fatboy 12-21-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456331)
I use Beautiful Widgets and it has some nice clock skins. Many of which are takes on the flip clock. You can actually just use sense with Fresh and you will have the flip clock the easy way.

the clock in sense on warm 2.2 actually flips like on the HD2 on fresh its back to the one with no transistion

Noodle 12-21-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy (Post 2456404)
the clock in sense on warm 2.2 actually flips like on the HD2 on fresh its back to the one with no transistion

I didn't know that. sweet.

fatboy 12-21-2010 08:53 PM

gonna flash MikFroyo 4.0 it has the new base radios and flip clock and prolly is all animated like warm

tool2269 12-21-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456433)
I didn't know that. sweet.

Noodle, do you have/know where i can get a battery % icon for Fresh 3.5?? :frustrate

KB112 12-21-2010 09:13 PM

Can't you just install a smooth sense battery icon? I'm pretty sure thats what I ran on Fresh's ROM. I found a flashable zip on XDA and installed it.

fatboy 12-21-2010 09:18 PM

UGH i want WARM with the new base now its the bomb! these other guys aint got nothing on it

tool2269 12-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB112 (Post 2456776)
Can't you just install a smooth sense battery icon? I'm pretty sure thats what I ran on Fresh's ROM. I found a flashable zip on XDA and installed it.

thanks.. researching that, led to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=191

fatboy 12-21-2010 09:43 PM

donated to myn maybe ill get a beta i need my warm back lol!

Noodle 12-21-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2456771)
Noodle, do you have/know where i can get a battery % icon for Fresh 3.5?? :frustrate

I haven't found one yet. I tried my old battery % from smooth sense that used to work but now it just makes my phone boot loop.

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

EDIT: damn tool just reading the 1st post in that thread kinda makes my head hurt right now.

jpkboca 12-21-2010 10:12 PM

So many roms confused what to try, and kind of scared to flash my first rom :-)

Diana Prince 12-21-2010 10:28 PM

Well I definitely see why people like Cyanogen. It's totally modded out and you can change things daily. It's somewhat of a tweakers dream. That said, I don't find it as stable as OMJ (stablest ROM ever) or even MikFroyo. I find myself having to press the Menu or Back button more than once to get to my desired screen. I also get more forecloses. I want to say the battery drains faster but it's only been two days and I think that could possibly be due to my constant tinkering. I am still glad I tried it out. Not sure just yet if it's totally for me.

thekarens 12-21-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpkboca (Post 2456806)
So many roms confused what to try, and kind of scared to flash my first rom :-)

Just make a nandroid of what you have and if you don't like what you flash you can always flash right on back.

Shauli 12-21-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy
gonna flash MikFroyo 4.0 it has the new base radios and flip clock and prolly is all animated like warm

Downloading MikFroYo 4.0 right now... :-)

Shauli 12-21-2010 11:22 PM

Anyone here try the new modified Netarchy's kernels to allow the phone to trickle charge after it reaches 100% so to eliminate the issue of the battery dropping quickly from 100% to 90%?

Noodle 12-22-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2456838)
Anyone here try the new modified Netarchy's kernels to allow the phone to trickle charge after it reaches 100% so to eliminate the issue of the battery dropping quickly from 100% to 90%?

No but I'm about to. Seriously I feel so out of the loop after being busy for the past few months. :hee:

Diana Prince 12-22-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauli (Post 2456838)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456854)
No but I'm about to. Seriously I feel so out of the loop after being busy for the past few months. :hee:

Not that you guys need to be told this but could you please report back regarding your experience with this kernel? Much appreciated. :D

tbakergobuck 12-22-2010 01:24 AM

Got a white Evo 003 and having issues rooting.

tool2269 12-22-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noodle (Post 2456793)
EDIT: damn tool just reading the 1st post in that thread kinda makes my head hurt right now.

which thread? the one i linked about smooth sense?

it changes things to a battery % icon, but also changes the 'power control' icons that show up in the 'notification' area.

As for the superior battery kernals others have mentioned.... i tried the "SBC for Netarchy's 4.2.2 More Aggressive v1.3" using Fresh 3.5....I checked to see if it worked using the battery monitor widget, and so far, no luck.

i'll try the new v1.4 today and see if that works.

tool2269 12-22-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana Prince (Post 2456856)
Not that you guys need to be told this but could you please report back regarding your experience with this kernel? Much appreciated. :D

i've been off the charger for 1.5 hours, not really used the phone and 3g is off... STILL at 100%

edit: didnt feel that should be accurate, so restarted the phone, turned 3g back on (surfed/texted).. now at 94% after 2hrs

unbreakableblue 12-22-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2456949)
i've been off the charger for 1.5 hours, not really used the phone and 3g is off... STILL at 100%

edit: didnt feel that should be accurate, so restarted the phone, turned 3g back on (surfed/texted).. now at 94% after 2hrs

Yeah, I flashed this kernel the other day and it has been great so far. Definitely the best I've tried up to this point. It feels great not to immediately drop 5-10% right when you take the phone off the charger.

tool2269 12-22-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unbreakableblue (Post 2457082)
Yeah, I flashed this kernel the other day and it has been great so far. Definitely the best I've tried up to this point. It feels great not to immediately drop 5-10% right when you take the phone off the charger.

i'm using v1.4 that was released last night.. the previous one didnt work correctly

Diana Prince 12-22-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2457093)
i'm using v1.4 that was released last night.. the previous one didnt work correctly

Anyone know off hand if this is compatible with CM6?

Beer Abuser 12-22-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbakergobuck
Got a white Evo 003 and having issues rooting.

Did you get it sorted out?

BrettW 12-22-2010 08:15 PM

end of desire hd for me back on fresh 3.5.0.1 :-)

Beer Abuser 12-22-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettW
end of desire hd for me back on fresh 3.5.0.1 :-)

Were you on sense 2.0? If so, which rom? Thoughts :p lol...

tbakergobuck 12-22-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2457219)
Did you get it sorted out?

Nope. It's stuck in the red triangle. Sent ya pm.

BrettW 12-22-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2457222)
Were you on sense 2.0? If so, which rom? Thoughts :p lol...

I was running Sacs B.O.S HD rom

Pros
-Quick
-Lots of internal free space I had all my apps installed to the device none to SD and still had more free space then with fresh
-Tons of pre-installed apps
-Stock Sense look and feel, none of that font changing stuff im not into themes... except for the HTC ones, I love a couple of them
-Stable no crashes no interesting happenings it just worked and worked well

Cons
-no 4g since its rolling out in the bay area in less than a week I wanted it back (known issue)
-Voicemail notification - ugh comes back over and over
-Voicemail texts, you get them when the voicemail comes
-No 720p video which i do honestly use (known issue)
-Front cam is fun to get to (known issue)

Honorable Mentions
-When I first installed it just refused to boot had to install a custom kernel to get it to fire up.
-got and fixed my first bootloop too, thanks setCPU for defaulting to apply on boot for some strange reason when I was applying OC settings while driving i set them 31mhz to high lol thank you ADB

overall I liked it, I just wanted the simplicty of fresh back and the newest sprint OTA and such

MikeV 12-22-2010 08:39 PM

What's so good about FreshRom?

BrettW 12-22-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV
What's so good about FreshRom?

For me its a simplistic to the point sense based ROM he strips out all the sprint stuff but gives you copies on your SD card he doesn't include tons upon tons of apps you may not want or need no fluff just the basics

Beer Abuser 12-22-2010 09:06 PM

BrettW, I see, I'm surprised I never saw that rom =\ I almost took the dive on evio hd couple of days ago, but my procrastination syndrome kicked in lol.

I hope the developers are still working on getting a full functional one to the public, but now you have gingerbread, you can never win lol.

*Stares at HTC* :p

Beer Abuser 12-22-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettW

For me its a simplistic to the point sense based ROM he strips out all the sprint stuff but gives you copies on your SD card he doesn't include tons upon tons of apps you may not want or need no fluff just the basics

Yup & agreed, and stable all the time...and at the end of the day, launcherpro is running the show on my phone, go figure lol. But yes, once flipz / fresh jumps on 2.3, I'll be there. But I've also been meaning to try myn's rom, one day hehe...

MikeV 12-22-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrettW (Post 2457239)

Stock kernel too or is it optimized?

tool2269 12-22-2010 09:35 PM

Wirelessly posted (My Evo: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; PC36100 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Stock I believe. He lists his changes on the xda or ppcgeeks thread he posts his rom on

tool2269 12-22-2010 09:57 PM

anyone using this mod? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=877003

its already installed on Fresh 3.5 and if you read the thread, you can easily modify it. it basically installs a notifcation bar menu.. where you can control things like gps, mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, flashlight, sounds, some others. you only see it when you pull down your notification bar.

with mine, i changed the gps widget with 4g widget. its really simple and much easier than having these widgets on the homescreen

http://logika.net/downloads/evo/pc/i..._6_default.png.

Beer Abuser 12-22-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269

its already installed on Fresh 3.5 and if you read the thread, you can easily modify it. it basically installs a notifcation bar menu.. where you can control things like gps, mobile data, wifi, bluetooth, flashlight, sounds, some others. you only see it when you pull down your notification bar.

with mine, i changed the gps widget with 4g widget. its really simple and much easier than having these widgets on the homescreen

Can you change the color scheme?

Sense 2.0 had these, and were great. Now I see what I'm missing from 3.5 fresh :lol:

tool2269 12-22-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Abuser (Post 2457266)
Can you change the color scheme?

yeah, you got a marker and crayons?:tu:

i dunno:confused:

MikeV 12-22-2010 11:02 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I thought I did a Titanium Backup before I flashed VirusROM 5. I can't restore my SMS messages though :(

KB112 12-22-2010 11:48 PM

Myns Warm has that Bar and I think MikFroYo does too. I really like it a lot. Comes in super handy. :)

MikeV 12-23-2010 01:03 AM

VirusRom 5 has it too. Just flashed.

Beer Abuser 12-23-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269

yeah, you got a marker and crayons?:tu:

i dunno:confused:

:slap: lol...

th3taman 12-23-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana Prince (Post 2457139)
Anyone know off hand if this is compatible with CM6?

You have to find kernels that are built for CM6 or AOSP. A lot of kernels are built for Sense ROMs and will only work on those type of ROMs.

Duffman 12-23-2010 10:33 AM

I like Fresh because they are stable and let me use the Evo (and Hero) as close to as designed as possible. It is like he cleans out the garbage and adds in the things that should have been included.

fatboy 12-23-2010 10:53 AM

I think all the 3.7 builds have that bar

MikeV 12-23-2010 12:27 PM

Virus 5 is REALLY cool looking so far.

boomhower 12-23-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 2457476)

Agreed! For some reason Titanium keeps crashing on me so I have just been using Appbrain to restore my apps. As long as it will reinstall my angry birds data I'll be OK. Looks absolutely awesome except I don't care for the bottom bar, will be changing that immediately. Ugly and not user friendly but the rest is very nice. I started to freak out when I couldn't find the market, then I saw it. The Virus Market, lol. Looks great though. Now I just need a black skin for swiftkey.

boomhower 12-23-2010 02:25 PM

Virusrom 5 is a bust for me, the markets broke. Several programs I use are not there and other won't install due to some signing issue. Now to go back to 4.7 or give fresh's latest update a shot. oohh, let me give CM a shot, haven't tried that in months.

thekarens 12-23-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2457259)

http://logika.net/downloads/evo/pc/i..._6_default.png.

I'm pretty sure CyanogenMod was the first to do this and the other devs have been able to use it in their roms since then. It's one of my favorite modifications.

tool2269 12-23-2010 08:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (My Evo: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1045 Safari/532.5)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomhower
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV (Post 2457476)

Agreed! For some reason Titanium keeps crashing on me so I have just been using Appbrain to restore my apps. As long as it will reinstall my angry birds data I'll be OK. Looks absolutely awesome except I don't care for the bottom bar, will be changing that immediately. Ugly and not user friendly but the rest is very nice. I started to freak out when I couldn't find the market, then I saw it. The Virus Market, lol. Looks great though. Now I just need a black skin for swiftkey.

It crashes instantly?

jpkboca 12-23-2010 09:22 PM

2 questions.

I am thinkign of flashing cyanogen.
If you read the wiki.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...l_Update_Guide

It mentions you need to get the engineering SPL, I have read elsewhere that is not true anymore, is that correct and can skip that step? I have HBOOT 0.97.

2nd question, it mentiones flashign the radio [and somewhere else i read], flash your radio if required. How do I know my radio version, and if it is required?

I have never installed a rom before so am a bit nervous, so want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks,

Jeff

Shauli 12-24-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpkboca
2 questions.

If you read the wiki.

It mentions you need to get the engineering SPL, I have read elsewhere that is not true anymore, is that correct and can skip that step? I have HBOOT 0.97.

2nd question, it mentiones flashign the radio [and somewhere else i read], flash your radio if required. How do I know my radio version, and if it is required?

I have never installed a rom before so am a bit nervous, so want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'm not sure about the engineered SPL. I believe Hboot 0.97 is ok.
You can find the radio version by looking under settings > about phone > software information > baseband version
The latest radio, wimax, PRI and more can be found in Calkulin's thread in the EVO development section. My understanding is, you must have S-on in order to flash a radio.
And I'll just mention that I was also very nervous the first time I tried flashing a custom ROM. But it's really easier than it seems.
Good luck!

MikeV 12-24-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpkboca (Post 2457630)
2 questions.

If you read the wiki.

Thanks,

Jeff

BeerAbuser's posts in this very thread is the simplest and most concise description on how to flash a ROM.

Beer Abuser 12-24-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeV

BeerAbuser's posts in this very thread is the simplest and most concise description on how to flash a ROM.

:tu: And best thing to do is read and re-read until it sinks in, and take your time (dont rush it) to have the best outcome.

boomhower 12-24-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2457605)
Wirelessly posted (My Evo: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1045 Safari/532.5)

It crashes instantly?

It will start to reinstall my back-ups and crash out rebooting the OS, not a whole restart but the OS restarts. Odd but the best way I can explain it. I ended up trying out Myn's, liking it so far.

tool2269 12-24-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomhower
Quote:

Originally Posted by tool2269 (Post 2457605)

It crashes instantly?

It will start to reinstall my back-ups and crash out rebooting the OS, not a whole restart but the OS restarts. Odd but the best way I can explain it. I ended up trying out Myn's, liking it so far.

When you first open titanium press the problems button to reinstall busybox

thekarens 12-24-2010 10:55 AM

Most likely you're current with your radio. I say do a nand back up and flash CM. If youu don't like it you can always flash right on back. Other than flashing GAPPS flashing CM is no different than any other rom.

jpkboca 12-24-2010 12:39 PM

Thanks all I got Cyanogen installed.

Stupid question time.

How do I restore my apps/data? I loaded titanium again, but it says no backups yet, how do i get it to restore the apps from the sc card :-)

I got the contacts, the call log and the smses bac, through the gmail stuff, and the 2 apps i doanloaded to backup sms and calls.

But the apps, thats a different story, or is it just easier to resync with appbrain?

Jeff