PDA

View Full Version : Why don't texts messages always go through?

Shyne
04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
This seems to happen every so often... I was wondering why? And if Sprint is doing anything to stop this, or is it something that will always happen?

Either texts I send sometimes do not make it to the receiver, or texts sent to me don't get received... I once had a girl send me a text and I didn't receive it until 9 days later. :huh:

I'm slowly becoming more and more dependent on texts (sending/receiving 1,000s a month), and when one doesn't go through it can be a pretty big deal. :frustrate

Deval
04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
happens to everyone at any time with any carrier

SprintTech2
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
are you sending them to 10 digit phone numbers or are you entering in 7 digits and if the entry is coming from your phone book is it programmed as 7 or 10 digits?

Shyne
04-25-2006, 06:18 PM
happens to everyone at any time with any carrier

I'm well aware of that... but why? Why does <160 words of text get lossed? Where does it go? Why can it take over a week to get delivered?

Also, I know the US is hopping on the texting bandwagon pretty late compared to Europe/Asia... Are their texts more reliable? Is it the phone or the carrier? Just curious.

As far as 7 and 10 digits...I store all of my #s as 10 digit.

PS: The real motivation for this thread is a missed hanging out with this gorgeous girl last night because she didn't receive my reply to a text she sent. :(

SprintTech2
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
when you send a text from your phone it travels through the sprint network and once it reaches another carriers network at that point it is beyond sprint's control, regarding delivry. Once it leaves the Sprint network we no longer have control on if the customer recieves the message or not.

StarmanDX
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
It's that SMS traffic generally moves at the lowest priority of any other traffic and goes through a pretty complicated system of gateways and other machines before it gets to the other phone. There are a LOT of things that could potentially be stopping the messages from being delivered.

Deval
04-25-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm well aware of that... but why? Why does <160 words of text get lossed? Where does it go? Why can it take over a week to get delivered?

Also, I know the US is hopping on the texting bandwagon pretty late compared to Europe/Asia... Are their texts more reliable? Is it the phone or the carrier? Just curious.

As far as 7 and 10 digits...I store all of my #s as 10 digit.

PS: The real motivation for this thread is a missed hanging out with this gorgeous girl last night because she didn't receive my reply to a text she sent. :(

oh yeah...i've seen friends not get my messages till the wee hours of the morning.

Perfect example...back when I was still in college, I texted a friend of mine to meet me in the student center...we had to finish a project in 1 of my classes. I sent it at around 3pm or so. He didnt get the messasge till almost 2am, the same night.

toddc79
04-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Perfect example...back when I was still in college, I texted a friend of mine to meet me in the student center...we had to finish a project in 1 of my classes. I sent it at around 3pm or so. He didnt get the messasge till almost 2am, the same night.

did he think you were weird(er) and wonder why you were trying to get him to meet you at the student center at 2 am ? :ohcrap:

spidy79
04-25-2006, 09:35 PM
My apt has horrible sprint reception (0-1 bars) so I'm on digital roam (verizon) pretty much 99% of the time. I noticed up until a few months ago I would receive about 95% of all my incoming texts and not once did anyone ever say they didn't get my texts so outgoing doesn't seem be a problem. Just recently (during the months of March and April) I seem to have 1-2 day delays on receiving most texts. I'd guess about 80%. I find this so annoying because the point of texting is like an instant message. You expect an instant response but getting them 1-2 days (sometimes even longer) is rediculous. cmon now. Does anyone have a remedy to this issue?

tnhacker
04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I have not been able to recieve texts from Cellular South for some reason, have tried from 5 diff. people with no success, Sprint said they fixed the problem but they havent, Cellular South customers recieve my texts immediately. My bro has Sprint and gets the Celluar South msgs.,, anybody know whats goin on???? I have a Treo 650.

murf_durf
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
I have had a problem where is jus wont send so i go to outbox then it sends rite away then i have a friend that service has been shut off but it still lets him send messages but not recieve is there an answer for this?

Sprint_Gold
04-26-2006, 03:29 AM
Sure.

Tell your friend to pay their bill and get their service restored.

murf_durf
04-26-2006, 08:45 AM
i jus was wonderin why it allows him to send messages with his service bein shut off? anyone kno why

PixieBaby473
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I've never had a problem with sending or receiving texts.
My husband has though. For about 2 weeks, he was getting NO texts at all, no matter who sent them. I would sit on the couch with my phone in 1 hand & his in the other...still nothing. But it works fine now. No problems. We never did figure it out though.

Deval
04-26-2006, 05:27 PM
did he think you were weird(er) and wonder why you were trying to get him to meet you at the student center at 2 am ? :ohcrap:

yeah basically :hee:

Mayor
04-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I had a problem once with that.. Messages taking forever to deliver. Took me awhile to found out why (through tech support). I wasn't putting the area code in the number so for some reason it was making it take longer to deliver.

snovvman
04-27-2006, 07:15 AM
I send/receive ~3000-4000 text messages per month, previously with Nextel. For anyone who reports that they have problems or have no problems, please specify whether it is with other Sprint subscribers or other carriers, whether it's sent via SMS or email.

There are known problems with Nextel text messaging system (the vendor is Airnote) for many many months now. Nextel's text system has become completely unreliable. Verizon is also having problems (I don't always get Sprint to Verizon SMS). I read that T-Mobile has a very reliable SMS system. My experience with Cingular is good too.

I find that most of the problems come from intra-carrier SMS. For you who have seen delays or non-delivery/receipt of SMS messages, are they intra-carrier messages or inter-carrier messages? It is difficult, have read all of the above messages, to determine where the problem is. I presume Sprint to Sprint is fairly reliable?

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.