PDA

View Full Version : Trace 'Unavailable ID' call? Sprint and Police won't cooperate

rpertusio
03-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey all,
I recently had my laptop stolen, and shortly afterwards, I have been receiving strange calls from an 'Unavailable ID'. (The person on the other end hangs up after I pick up.)

I am not sure if the two events are related... so I called Sprint and asked if they had a way to trace the call, even if 'Unavailable ID' shows up. They told me they do not keep records of the incoming call number, and that I should contact the Police. As you can guess, the police told me to contact Sprint.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get Sprint (or the police) to actually do a trace? I find it hard to believe Sprint does not have this information stored, or at least a process that I can go through to get it done!

Thanks for any/all help!
- rp

SingSongBird
03-30-2006, 11:42 AM
You can call and request that it be done, of course for a small fee.

phale
03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Samsung MM-A880: Samsung-SPHA880 AU-MIC-A880/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Samsung-SPHA880 AU-MIC-A880/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Sprint CAN do this,they just cant give you the number.Call back and ask again.

SprintTech2
03-30-2006, 11:46 AM
We can do a malicious call trace...
here is how it works...

The purpose for a Malicious Call Trace is to process a report detailing harassing, threatening and/or malicious calls at the request of a customer. A report is generated that produces a log of all incoming and outgoing calls for a period up to 45 days from present date.

Additional Details :

All calls must have been made within the last 45 days to be traced. Any calls older than 45 days are no longer traceable.

The customer will be charged a $20 non-refundable fee on their PCS account when the Account Holder's Consent form is processed by the Call Trace Department.
Inform the customer that there is no guarantee that all incoming calls will be identified during the call trace process.

Law Enforcement is no longer required to be involved for a Malicious Call Trace to be processed. The trace results will be released directly to the customer.
Customer will receive the Subscriber Consent Form within 3 - 5 business days once requested from the Call Trace Department. This form MUST be notarized.

Once the completed and notarized forms are received by the Call Trace Department, the customer will receive the results within one business day by fax or three to five days by U. S. Mail.

If you or the customer have further questions about the Malicious Call Trace Process, contact the Call Trace Department at (866) 259-7534, (Monday - Friday 7:00am and 5:00 pm Central)

hope this helps..
:hee:

asf4588
03-30-2006, 11:52 AM
:tu: I didn't know that .

SprintTech2
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
most consumer's do not. infact, some employees don't even know that it's offerd. But I think it might help for the situation above.

give em' a call and ask for it. :)

rpertusio
03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, they're much appreciated!

I have called the Call Trace Department, and now have a Consent form on its way to me to begin the process.

Thank you all!
- rp

Guptaji
03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
:tu: I didn't know that .
I didn't either. This is useful information and should be posted in FAQ! Thanks, SprintTech :)

SprintTech2
03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Your welcome.

Glad to help!!! :tu:

laursifer
03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
I made SprintTech's post a sticky in the Tips & Tricks forum:http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=952644

It was Ronkh's idea, so kudos to the two of you. That will be very helpful to some people, I am sure.

Jawad50
03-31-2006, 07:32 PM
In that packet is a form that has to be filled out by the police dept. The catch is that you have to be filing harasement charges againt the person to get the results. At least thats the the last 8 reps i talked to told me.

honey50
04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Your life has to be in danger for the police to take action. Just because someone calls and hangs up that is not a crime...

AzTater
04-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Can anything like this be done for unknown text messages? I have received many text messages that are threatening and harrassing.

Rinnegato
04-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I made SprintTech's post a sticky in the Tips & Tricks forum:http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=952644

It was Ronkh's idea, so kudos to the two of you. That will be very helpful to some people, I am sure.
thanks for the sticky.

thanks sprinttech2 for the info, could be helpful in the future for some members!

YPG
04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
you know what sucks?
My Cingular bills shows both incoming and outgoing numbers called.
Why doesn't Sprint do that?

rpertusio
05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
I wanted to say "Thanks!" to everyone here. I was able to obtain the call records (which were quite detailed), and I have now determined the 'Unavailable ID' number that has been calling me.

You have all been of much help! Thank you.
- rp

YPG
05-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Yo! Peep Game!: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-9000/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

I wanted to say "Thanks!" to everyone here. I was able to obtain the call records (which were quite detailed), and I have now determined the 'Unavailable ID' number that has been calling me.

You have all been of much help! Thank you.
- rp

so was it something crazy or just a wrong number?

rpertusio
05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
I handed it over to the police, but will probably end up calling the number back from a pay phone or something. We'll see.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.