PDA

View Full Version : Billing and phone shut-off question

cheezit
02-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I have been unemployed for over 6 months and now have run out of unemployment benefits. As such, I have zero income. :mad:

Anyway, the spending limit on my 2 phone account is $250.00. My current bill is $94.40 and is not due until 3/3/06. There is no past due amount. My question is, will they turn my phones off if I pay, say, $50.00 rather than the whole amount? Or do they not turn off the phones until the total balance exceeds the spending limit?

I really have no idea how it works because I have always kept the bill paid in full. But right now, coming up with the whole amount is impossible. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I need the phone to get calls from prospective employers but I can't pay the whole bill.

CaseyGirl
02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Call Customer Service and explain to them your situation. See what they can do to help you out.

james2K
02-16-2006, 12:23 PM
you'll need to pay your bill in full, but in my experience they've given me about 10 days past the due date until it's shut off.

The spending limit is for any given bill cycle, if you exceed that limit in extra charges during that cycle then they shut it off.

Madisn
02-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Exactly - The spending limit is not like a revolving charge account - where you can carry a ballance up to 'x' amount. The full amount is always due - regardless of spending limit. All a spending limit is desigined to do is protect sprint from your spending more than they think you can pay (in full) every month.

Without a doubt though, you should call customer service and advise them of the situation. They may be able to work with you and perhaps accept less than the full amount.

YPG
02-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Hmmm, My spending limit is $200 and I'm always able to carry the one months balance over to the next no problem since I kept it under that.
(My bill usually hovers around $100 per month.)
It wasn't until I made a stupid directory assistance call that pushed My bill to $200.41 that I had to make a payment. So I called up CS and just asked for a credit of $0.50 so I could get it turned back on till payday on Thursday which was done with no problem.
So in My experience you can make partial payments and carry balances over to the next month as long as you stay under your spending limit.
Now if your phone gets cut off you have like 10 days or something to make a partial payment to get it back under the spending limit or then you will have to pay the balance in full before they restore service.

Madisn
02-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Hmmm, My spending limit is $200 and I'm always able to carry the one months balance over to the next no problem since I kept it under that.
It wasn't until I made a stupid directory assistance call that pushed My bill to $200.41 that I had to make a payment. So I called up CS and just asked for a credit of $0.50 so I could get it turned back on till payday on Thursday which was done with no problem.
So in My experience you can make partial payments and carry balances over to the next month as long as you stay under your spending limit.
Now if your phone gets cut off you have like 10 days or something to make a partial payment to get it back under the spending limit or then you will have to pay the balance in full before they restore service.

This may be true - however, having a spending limit does not mean that you can carry a balance forward. In the terms and conditions it states that "if you exceed your spending limit OR your account falls out of good standing, your service may be discontinued". Simply having a spending limit does not mean that sprint will let you carry a ballance forward.... there is no doubt that they do, people mention it here all the time. I wouldn't recommend people risk violating their terms only to have a phone turned off simply because 'other people do it' - especially when they are out of work and could miss out on a job offer.

I still say call sprint, let them know what is going on.

james2K
02-16-2006, 02:09 PM
call sprint, let them know what is going on.

Creditors and the such are much more understanding if you come to them. Wait until the phone is shut off and they're just going to want the money flat out. Hopefully CS will be able to help in this case...

Redhed
02-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Yes, call Sprint, let them know what's going on and perhaps switch to a cheaper plan for awhile? If you have a good payment history, I'm almost positive they'll give you an extension and be willing to work with you on your options.

Also... have you considered a SERO plan?

RavenTBK
02-16-2006, 07:57 PM
In all my experiences, if you have a past due balance of ANY amount, your service will be suspended until you pay off the past due amount... regardless of if its less than your spending limit.

Theres been many times I try to carry a balance forward, due to how I get paid, and I've got about 8 days after the due date before I get cut off. Needless to say, this is a semi-regular occurence for me. My phone gets cut off for 3-4 days after each cycle.. heh.. 6 week pay periods suck. :bang:

I'd be surprised if its done differently for different accounts.. but yeah, call CS and see if you can have something worked out.

losplatanos
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
call sprint..............some company are nice, about that, if u loose ur job

might give u extra time, being it a special case,

don't hurt to ask

Sprint_Gold
02-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Its actually cut and dried....

If you have a Account Spending Limit your service is suspended if you go over it or if you go 30 days past due, either will suspend your service.

If you have good payment history, and can make a partial payment prior to the billing cycle end date, you can call in and get transfered to the payments group, explaing your situation to them and they "may" allow you to go over the 30 days past due with a "promise to pay", meaning you say you will pay the remainder on a specific date agreed to by both you and them.

TechGuru
02-17-2006, 01:32 AM
I have been unemployed for over 6 months and now have run out of unemployment benefits. As such, I have zero income. :mad:

Anyway, the spending limit on my 2 phone (#) account is $250.00. My current bill is $94.40 and is not due until 3/3/06. There is no past due amount. My question is, will they turn my phones off if I pay, say, $50.00 rather than the whole amount? Or do they not turn off the phones until the total balance exceeds the spending limit?

I really have no idea how it works because I have always kept the bill paid in full. But right now, coming up with the whole amount is impossible. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I need the phone to get calls from prospective employers but I can't pay the whole bill.

I recently became unemployed too right after I got my phone too which is why I was in a panic to get on the sero plan. As long as I can get at least one computer repair client a month I can pay my Sprint bill.

Latest Invoice

LabelAmountBalance Due$38.17 Pay by3/7/06

NASCAR14FAN
02-17-2006, 05:46 AM
You need to be very carefule with you Spending Limit. once you reach that amount what ever it is you will be shut off and the full balance will have to be paid before youe service can be restored

TechGuru
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Now if your phone (#) gets cut off you have like 10 days or something to make a partial payment to get it back under the spending limit or then you will have to pay the balance in full before they restore service.

There is no reason to ever use Sprint's Directory Assistance when there is 800-FRE-E411

phild4000
02-17-2006, 04:55 PM
There is no reason to ever use Sprint's Directory Assistance when there is 800-FRE-E411

I love that service! I've been using it for a couple months now, i wont ever call regular 411 again. Its rediculous they charge 1.40 a call when there are other options that offer it for free.

YPG
02-17-2006, 05:00 PM

Oh yeah! I had lost that number when I switched phones. Thanks!

timul
02-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Dude how hard is that to remember?

NASCAR14FAN
02-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Thats funny :lol:

TechGuru
02-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Dude how hard is that to remember?

:lol: :haha: Thanks for giving me a good laugh today. :haha: :laughing:

jkdog
02-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Yea call CS and explain your situation . Pay what you can to keep it from getting shut off .Has your contract expired? Maybe look at canceling one of the lines until you get employed again.that way you keep a line open and reduce your monthly bill. Just some options .

lestat
02-18-2006, 10:42 AM
acct spending limit of a cust is based on customer's credit standing. usual scenario is phones get shut off even before the paymnt due date bec on the top of the billed balance (balance that u see on the paper bill), you are also incurring charges, eg, 411, sms, vision usage, taxes etc etc etc... these charges are piled up on the billed charges.

the paymnt due date, in its essence, is not an assurance that your phone will be on for the entire bill cycle, its just there to give you enough time to settle your bill, other than the sprint bill ;)

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.