PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Nextel freezes pension benefits...

SLME
01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Sprint Nextel freezes pension benefits

By Kelly Hill
Jan 23, 2006

RESTON, Va.-Sprint Nextel Corp. has hopped on the pension-freezing band wagon, following similar moves by Verizon Communications Inc., IBM Corp. and Sears.

The freeze will mean that nearly half of Sprint Nextel's 80,000 employees will no longer accumulate pension benefits and will have to rely on whatever benefits they have already earned, plus a 401(k) plan with a 5 percent contribution match from the company, according to published reports.Former Nextel Communications Inc. employees and those at Sprint Nextel's local phone division will not be affected; Nextel did not have a pension plan, and the 20,000 people at the local telephone company will keep their pensions when the division is spun off later this year.

Sprint Nextel representatives did not return a request for comment.

According to Pensions & Investments, which is published by RCR Wireless News parent company Crain Communications Inc., Sprint Corp. contributed $300 million to its $3.68 billion pension plan in May 2005, with no other contributions planned for 2005. The plan was underfunded by $788 million as of the end of 2004.

A growing number of companies have instituted pension freezes, either halting accumulation of benefits by all employees or taking alternative approaches such as not allowing new employees to enroll, which is how Motorola Inc. opted to handle pension issues several years ago. Still others, including manufacturing and airline companies, have declared bankruptcy and then turned their pension obligations over to the federal government.

Redhed
01-23-2006, 05:42 PM
What a surprise :eyeroll:

Screw over employees so shareholders can get rich. What are they going to do in five years when they can't keep increasing the stock price? Hmm...

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I LIKE THIS!

people need to pay for their own retirement

if employees dont like it they can go elsewhere

Redhed
01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
LOL, it's funny you say that since pension plans were originally developed to attract employees... and, honestly, good employees (those that are truly good, smart workers) WILL go elsewhere... and you think SPCS has bad customer service now? LOL, just wait.

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
please qoute me where I said I THINK they have BAD SERVICE!

I think they have the best..and buy cutting the FAT, they can now let go of BAD employees cheaper, and by being more profitable they can higher better employees and become even better!

Originally playing with mercury was fun, not it kills people...

Who cares what it ORIGINALLY was intended for..what is important is what it is doing today.

trust me, this is better for the customer

but it is bad for the lazy employee

SLME
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
I wonder what Sprint's employee opinions are to this annoncement????

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 06:14 PM
why would ANY employee LIKE IT?

execpt those who are not getting it now and are GOOD workers, but are not getting paid enough because lazy current employees are getting too much pension..now things will change

this will give sprint more flexability

gracebe89
01-23-2006, 06:22 PM
This is very typical from Sprint!

Redhed
01-23-2006, 06:33 PM
please qoute me where I said I THINK they have BAD SERVICE!

I think they have the best..and buy cutting the FAT, they can now let go of BAD employees cheaper, and by being more profitable they can higher better employees and become even better!

Originally playing with mercury was fun, not it kills people...

Who cares what it ORIGINALLY was intended for..what is important is what it is doing today.

trust me, this is better for the customer

but it is bad for the lazy employee

:laughing:

How does this help get rid of bad employees? It doesn't say anything about the hiring or firing of employees.

By eliminating previously promised benefits, they are driving employees AWAY, both good ones and bad ones. What makes you think only bad employees will leave? Please, the smart ones will be out of there so fast, Sprint won't know what hit them.

:realitych An employee has no reason to be loyal to an employer who's been disloyal to them.

sallenthornton
01-23-2006, 06:34 PM
This is very typical from Sprint!

What do you mean?

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
:laughing:

How does this help get rid of bad employees? It doesn't say anything about the hiring or firing of employees.

By eliminating previously promised benefits, they are driving employees AWAY, both good ones and bad ones. What makes you think only bad employees will leave? Please, the smart ones will be out of there so fast, Sprint won't know what hit them.

:realitych An employee has no reason to be loyal to an employer who's been disloyal to them.

now they dont have to worry about paying penson to the lazy employees and have less to worry about financially when terminating them

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 09:07 PM
and I never said it wouldnt upset people OR not get rid of good employees

please REread what I typed

ILikeSanyo
01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
They can't win....if they freeze the pensions some of you complain....since it's underfunded by 788 million, if they raise costs to pay for it some of you will complain....if anyone out there has a better idea please contact the company.

JNA
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
So, who wants to make up the $800 million shortfall so that my pension stays put...? Huh?

Higher rate plans!

Higher handset prices!

Higher fees!

Who's with me...!!!!!

Hello..? :huh:

Oh, I didn't think so.

Honestly, I really don't count on anything but my 401K and personal savings anyway, so it's no big deal.

That's an employee's opinion....

trogginator
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
This may have made the news release, but this is old news for employees. Legacy Sprint employees were made aware of this in August after the merger was official. Basically, they wanted to equalize the employees. Nextel did not have a pension, and Sprint did. So the combined company froze additional funding to the pension plan as of 1/1/06.

If you think this affects customer service, how many of them do you think stay employed to retirement age, let alone one year?

This will affect corp employees who have many years of service.

That is all, move along.. :-)

MRTRIPOD
01-23-2006, 10:29 PM
LIKE I said, this is a good move

Gibsohnn
01-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Redhead,
If you haven't kept up with the business news in America lately, then you're behind. As well as Sprint. Most every other large corporation that had a defined benefit retirement has switched to a 401(k) type of retirement option. While there are both pro's and con's to defined benefit and 401(k), Sprint must simply keep up with a global work force that is more willing to work cheaper and take on more of the responsibility of their own retirement.
Also, it must be noted that Sprint does indeed have a very generous 401(k) as well. Starting Jan. 1, 2006, Sprint will match 100% of the first 5% of your pay contributed. That match is well above the industry average. As well, there is immediate vesting, which means that the portion that is matched by the company is your immediately. Almost every other single company in America goes with the 5 year vesting program in which the company match cannot be touched until 5 years of service there. The immediate vesting is the biggest benefit because if you switch jobs, the entire match can be rolled into your new employers 401(k) (and the match is the whole reason to contribute because it's free money). In most other companies, any matches for the last 5 years stay with them, thus wiping out the whole point of a 401(k) for the last 5 years of employment.
I don't think the news of any company in America ditching defined benefit retirement programs should be taken with any sort of anger or dismay from here on out. This snowball has begun and IS NOT stopping.
FYI, the pension built up by employees as of now is still going to be disbursed, as most companies are doing, it just no longer continues to grow. And no, it won't cost any company good workers as they aren't going to find a "pension" somewhere else. And it does keep bad employees around as the whole point of a pension is lifetime employment...eek by until you've been there 30 years whether you do a good job or not for your free retirement.

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Redhead,
If you haven't kept up with the business news in America lately, then you're behind. As well as Sprint. Most every other large corporation that had a defined benefit retirement has switched to a 401(k) type of retirement option. While there are both pro's and con's to defined benefit and 401(k), Sprint must simply keep up with a global work force that is more willing to work cheaper and take on more of the responsibility of their own retirement.
Also, it must be noted that Sprint does indeed have a very generous 401(k) as well. Starting Jan. 1, 2006, Sprint will match 100% of the first 5% of your pay contributed. That match is well above the industry average. As well, there is immediate vesting, which means that the portion that is matched by the company is your immediately. Almost every other single company in America goes with the 5 year vesting program in which the company match cannot be touched until 5 years of service there. The immediate vesting is the biggest benefit because if you switch jobs, the entire match can be rolled into your new employers 401(k) (and the match is the whole reason to contribute because it's free money). In most other companies, any matches for the last 5 years stay with them, thus wiping out the whole point of a 401(k) for the last 5 years of employment.
I don't think the news of any company in America ditching defined benefit retirement programs should be taken with any sort of anger or dismay from here on out. This snowball has begun and IS NOT stopping.
FYI, the pension built up by employees as of now is still going to be disbursed, as most companies are doing, it just no longer continues to grow. And no, it won't cost any company good workers as they aren't going to find a "pension" somewhere else. And it does keep bad employees around as the whole point of a pension is lifetime employment...eek by until you've been there 30 years whether you do a good job or not for your free retirement.

AMEN

Redhed
01-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Redhead,

:eyeroll:

Oh please. I WORK at the executive level of a large corporation. I KNOW that the current trend is to move away from pensions and good benefits for employees. I'm not retarded, nor am I behind on business news; I just have morals. Just because screwing over employees is the latest corporate trend doesn't make it right. If a promise is made, it should be kept. Period.

Someone above stated that ratepayers would likely make up the $788 million shortfall if the pension plan continued. While he/she is probably right (given these current trends), it is my opinion that the SHAREHOLDERS should make up the difference. I know that's optimistic on my part (NOT naivete), but that doesn't make it any less valid a point.

I grant you that people should be responsible for their own retirement, no matter how they go about doing so. But I'll tell you that as a soon-to-be college graduate with seven years of executive-level experience (two of them working on a merger), I will definitely have a choice of employers (I already have offers and I'm a year away from graduation :ohcrap: ), I'll choose the one with the best overall benefit package, as well as the generous retirement package. Is that being greedy? No. It's being responsible for my own retirement. Retirement plans are benefits and benefits are just that: they are there as "extras" that the company chooses to make available to employees. They are meant to separate a company from their competitors in a market where, as you pointed out, labor is cheap, the workforce is only marginally proficient (at best), and hard-working employees are hard to come by. Of course, some people will be hired that are not quite up to par (that's life), but if you think good employees who have a choice of employers are going to stay for a measly 5% 401k match, YOU are the one out of touch. I get 7.5% match plus a flat contribution each pay period... if I were with Sprint, I'd definitely leave and come work for my company. :D

Anyway, all this to say, AGAIN, that just because that's way things are doesn't mean that's way they ought to be. If everyone thought that way, slavery would still be a "way of life." :thought:

So, stop being a sheeple. Stop letting corporate America control your beliefs and think about what's right for YOU for once, not what's right for the corporation.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way against "big business"... Hell, I'm a Republican! But, I do think that corporate responsibility is being shirked in the name of profit and I do think that's wrong...

golfdog352
01-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Oh please. I WORK at the executive level of a large corporation. I KNOW that the current trend is to move away from pensions and good benefits for employees. I'm not retarded, nor am I behind on business news; I just have morals. Just because screwing over employees is the latest corporate trend doesn't make it right. If a promise is made, it should be kept. Period.

Someone above stated that ratepayers would likely make up the $788 million shortfall if the pension plan continued. While he/she is probably right (given these current trends), it is my opinion that the SHAREHOLDERS should make up the difference. I know that's optimistic on my part (NOT naivete), but that doesn't make it any less valid a point.

I grant you that people should be responsible for their own retirement, no matter how they go about doing so. But I'll tell you that as a soon-to-be college graduate with seven years of executive-level experience (two of them working on a merger), I will definitely have a choice of employers (I already have offers and I'm a year away from graduation :ohcrap: ), I'll choose the one with the best overall benefit package, as well as the generous retirement package. Is that being greedy? No. It's being responsible for my own retirement. Retirement plans are benefits and benefits are just that: they are there as "extras" that the company chooses to make available to employees. They are meant to separate a company from their competitors in a market where, as you pointed out, labor is cheap, the workforce is only marginally proficient (at best), and hard-working employees are hard to come by. Of course, some people will be hired that are not quite up to par (that's life), but if you think good employees who have a choice of employers are going to stay for a measly 5% 401k match, YOU are the one out of touch. I get 7.5% match plus a flat contribution each pay period... if I were with Sprint, I'd definitely leave and come work for my company. :D

Anyway, all this to say, AGAIN, that just because that's way things are doesn't mean that's way they ought to be. If everyone thought that way, slavery would still be a "way of life." :thought:

So, stop being a sheeple. Stop letting corporate America control your beliefs and think about what's right for YOU for once, not what's right for the corporation.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way against "big business"... Hell, I'm a Republican! But, I do think that corporate responsibility is being shirked in the name of profit and I do think that's wrong...

:good:

golfdog352
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Redhead,

So will you show anger and dismay when we have to provide our own medical,dental, and prescription plans. As you said the snowball has begun, and pension plans are just the begining. Corporate America has become as greedy and ruthless as ever. Nothing is safe, benefits,loyalty,or the job itself.

Redhed
01-24-2006, 01:53 PM
are you for real?

SLAVERY?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, I'm for real. If Black people hadn't stood up for their rights and some very determined people hadn't worked hard to do the right thing (the moral thing), slavery would still be around... in other words, if they'd let the establishment (government and big business) keep running things, we'd all be slaves by now, working our a**** off so a few bigwigs could make a profit.

Are you so naive to think that the abolishment of slavery just "happened?" It didn't. It happened as a result of people going against the grain, against the establishment, and doing the right thing, regardless of the personal consequences.

The rescinding of pension plans is, of course, not as monumental as slavery, but it's the same principle.

NASCAR14FAN
01-24-2006, 02:34 PM
It seems to be a trend in big business! I wonder what kind of employees moves like this will attract? People who want job security, and maybe want to stay with one employer. Will not opt for companies that do not offer pensions . Customer service any actually get worse folks! :td:

Gibsohnn
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Ok, so you working at some executive level has nothing to do with the point. What are you going to do when that company stops their flat contribution? Job hop until you've hit every company that does away with these types of things? Check out the auto industry first of all and you'll see that people aren't heading for the exits. Same thing at the airlines. And in manufacturing. And middle management.

In what world to you live in where shareholders pay for shortfalls in retirement accounts? Where in the history of corporate America has this ever happened? The rising tide in health care and the vanishing of benefits is normal because America is one of few countries where healthcare is the responsibility of the corporation. When you put all your faith in health care and retirement on a FOR PROFIT organization, then what do you expect? They make efforts to compete. Period. Costs get cut where they can be.

And yes, while frustrated at the rising cost of healthcare (note frustrated, not angered), I am smart enough to know that the cost of healthcare is going through the roof for everyone, starting with Pharma and eventually working its way to employees. We're all paying for it, it's just that as American's, we've grown used to someone coddling and taking care of us and that's not always possible to compete on a national scale in a global economy.

Redhed
01-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Ok, so you working at some executive level has nothing to do with the point.

You're right. It has nothing to do with the "point." What it does have to do with is the fact that I know how, where, when and why these decisions are made. I'm not a moron and I'm not some person off the street with no idea what I'm talking about, so don't treat me like one.

What are you going to do when that company stops their flat contribution? Job hop until you've hit every company that does away with these types of things?

No, actually, because if every company cut pension programs for CURRENT employees, I'd rather work for myself. I believe that lying is wrong, and I refuse to work for a liar--and any CEO who approves the dismissal of a pension program for employees to whom a pension was promised is a liar. Cutting pension plans for NEW employees is one thing, but CEOs who stop investing in it for current employees are LIARS. Plain and simple. Again, I will do what I believe is right, regardless of personal consequence... so, I won't be living in the Bahamas when I'm 70, but you know what? I'll be able to sleep at night. I'll know that I did what little I could to prevent the corporate takeover of the American SHEEPLE. (People wonder what is going wrong in this country... it's this. It's apathy.)

Check out the auto industry first of all and you'll see that people aren't heading for the exits. Same thing at the airlines. And in manufacturing. And middle management.

And this makes it okay? This makes it right? Just because other people lie doesn't make it okay for you to lie.

In what world to you live in where shareholders pay for shortfalls in retirement accounts? Where in the history of corporate America has this ever happened? The rising tide in health care and the vanishing of benefits is normal because America is one of few countries where healthcare is the responsibility of the corporation. When you put all your faith in health care and retirement on a FOR PROFIT organization, then what do you expect? They make efforts to compete. Period. Costs get cut where they can be.

I don't disagree that people's trust is misplaced. That said, however, who gave people the idea that these corporations *could* be trusted? Who said, "Oh, come work for us. Look at all these things we have to offer you!"? Well, the companies, of course!!

How can companies mistreat their EMPLOYEES, the very people who make profit possible, and expect customers to continue supporting them? Oh yeah, I forgot... American companies can do this because they've trained us to be comfortable little consumers who believe everything they tell us.

You do understand, don't you, that employees (and customers!) are getting screwed so that the share price can increase by five or ten cents? Who really profits from that? Not the majority of employees! Who has the majority of stock options? Who gets their home and car insurance paid by the company? Who gets their FULL medical coverage paid by the company? Who gets their f'n PARKING TICKETS paid by the company? Believe it or not, it's not those who could actually AFFORD to pay for these things. Nope. It's the company's leadership. You talk about how health insurance costs are rising and blah blah blah... guess what! It's not rising for CEOs, because full health care coverage is part of their BENEFIT package. You think Sprint's leadership team cut short their own retirement packages? Yeah right!

The day a CEO cuts his retirement package to a level equal to those of his employees is the day I'll support it--until then, I maintain that he/she is a liar and a thief.

And yes, while frustrated at the rising cost of healthcare (note frustrated, not angered), I am smart enough to know that the cost of healthcare is going through the roof for everyone, starting with Pharma and eventually working its way to employees. We're all paying for it, it's just that as American's, we've grown used to someone coddling and taking care of us and that's not always possible to compete on a national scale in a global economy.

Don't even get me started on FALSELY INFLATED health care costs. If you fall for that, you're stupider than I thought.

Gibsohnn
01-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Sheeple? Inflated health care costs? Ok, now i got it straight. You're one of those hippie conspiracy theorists who believe that Pfizer, Sprint, McDonald's and 3M are trying to take over the world. That's right, I forgot. What is the matrix?

PS
Might as well shut of that PCS service you're toting around with ya since your MRC is helping get that nickel rise out of the stock that the executives who approved the cut in pensions are holding most of.

Redhed
01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
LMMFAO... no, I'm not liberal and I'm nowhere near a hippie. I'm just a sociologist who is probably a bit too ideological and hates dirt and body hair. There's a link in my sig... why don't you follow it and see who I am before you make these lame accusations.

As for canceling Sprint... even now I consider them to be the least of all evils. We'll see how things pan out.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I came across as muy confrontational in my last post. I went to happy hour and had two too many drinks. :)

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Yes, I'm for real. If Black people hadn't stood up for their rights and some very determined people hadn't worked hard to do the right thing (the moral thing), slavery would still be around... in other words, if they'd let the establishment (government and big business) keep running things, we'd all be slaves by now, working our a**** off so a few bigwigs could make a profit.

Are you so naive to think that the abolishment of slavery just "happened?" It didn't. It happened as a result of people going against the grain, against the establishment, and doing the right thing, regardless of the personal consequences.

The rescinding of pension plans is, of course, not as monumental as slavery, but it's the same principle.

You are SO WRONG

Slavery was BAD for buisness..are you aware less than half of America had slavery?

We would all be slaves? LMAO..your history is a LITTLE off

Slavery didnt end just because black people stood up...people who had slaves also had a change of views.

AND as far as DOING the right, that is EXACTLY what SPRINT is doing....

then again you are an EXECUTIVE so you know what is right and wrong

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
You're right. It has nothing to do with the "point." What it does have to do with is the fact that I know how, where, when and why these decisions are made. I'm not a moron and I'm not some person off the street with no idea what I'm talking about, so don't treat me like one.

ummm?

you compared PENSION removal to SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think you are an executive of a BIG corporation that even offers pension.

Judging from the overalls in your picture I would guess you work for a family farm?

I might be wrong.

Nobody here has said you are DUMB, but I do think you are wrong.

I know you dont want the workers to suffer, but giving them the pension will make them suffer because they will be without jobs..Sprint will have to shut its doors

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not a moron and I'm not some person off the street with no idea what I'm talking about, so don't treat me like one.

1. nobody called you a moron, but you then said this:

If you fall for that, you're stupider than I thought.

why is it OK for you to call names?

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Sheeple? Inflated health care costs? Ok, now i got it straight. You're one of those hippie conspiracy theorists who believe that Pfizer, Sprint, McDonald's and 3M are trying to take over the world. That's right, I forgot. What is the matrix?

PS
Might as well shut of that PCS service you're toting around with ya since your MRC is helping get that nickel rise out of the stock that the executives who approved the cut in pensions are holding most of.

careful, I called somebody a peacenick hippie on this board and the temp banned me.

And she is a REPUBLICAN! LOL;) or so she claims

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 09:50 PM
LIST OF Qoutes that make it hard to believe you:(

correct me if I am wrong..I am just putting the facts out!

She is a REPUBLICAN!

eyeroll:

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way against "big business"... Hell, I'm a Republican!

BUT she is ANTI corporation and PRO ABORTION from the LINK in her sig she TOLD us to CLICK as proof!

Support a woman's right to choose. Join the Planned Parenthood Action Network!

She is an EXECUTIVE:

Oh please. I WORK at the executive level of a large corporation.

SHE is a TEACHER!

I'm just a sociologist who is probably a bit too ideological and hates dirt and body hair.

so which is it?

you have been all over the map...liberal, republican, exectuive, teacher...im confused:( :frustrate

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:03 PM
So all Republicans are pro-business and anti-abortion? Okaaaay. Whatever. That's just ignorant, as is your remark about me working on a farm. :eyeroll: If you go back and read what I wrote (and what you quoted), I did write that I work at the executive level of a large corporation. I didn't say I was an executive. I'm only 25... there's no way I could be an executive. :thought:

And I AM a registered Republican that leans more toward anarchism in my actual beliefs, which is to say that I support PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY... on a company's behalf, as well as an individual's behalf. You do what you say you'll do, you take responsibility for yourself and your actions, and you leave others to do the same.

As for the other crap you posted... where did I ever say that I am anti-corporation? I'm not anti-corporation. I'm all for any corporation that does what they say they will do.

Where did I ever say I was a teacher? Uhhh... :huh: That one's so far off the map, I don't even know how to respond. Do you think a sociologist is a teacher? Wow, maybe you'd better go back to school and get some teaching (from a sociologist)! :laughing:

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:13 PM
ummm?

you compared PENSION removal to SLAVERY!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont think you are an executive of a BIG corporation that even offers pension.

Judging from the overalls in your picture I would guess you work for a family farm?

I might be wrong.

Nobody here has said you are DUMB, but I do think you are wrong.

I know you dont want the workers to suffer, but giving them the pension will make them suffer because they will be without jobs..Sprint will have to shut its doors

I compared the PRINCIPLE behind slavery to that behind the rescinsion of pension plans. I did qualify my statements with, "...rescinding pensions is not nearly as monumental as slavery..." but you must have missed that.

What I mean by the comparison is that in both cases, citizens accept their realities because "that's the way things are." But that's obviously not the way things have to be.

You said somewhere that slavery eventually ended after people changed their ways of thinking, not just Blacks, but White slave owners, as well, and you're right! But before the Whites changed their points of view, many people had to work to get them to see the error of their ways... and it's the same now.

Corporations aren't just going to change on their own. We have to make them see that the ways in which they're treating employees is wrong! Going along and saying, "That's just the way things are," will get us nowhere and will actually probably set us back.

Maybe I'm too optimistic about the power of the individual in this world, but if I have no hope then I'm stuck in this hellhole we call modern America and I refuse to believe that all I have to look forward to is more marketing on my cell phone, a bigger TV on which to watch more Gap ads, a faster computer on which to receive Spam emails... and a lifetime of trying to buy all these things with a dollar that's less and less valuable as time goes on. *sigh*

I guess that's too much to hope for.

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Where did I ever say I was a teacher? Uhhh... :huh: That one's so far off the map, I don't even know how to respond. Do you think a sociologist is a teacher? Wow, maybe you'd better go back to school and get some teaching (from a sociologist)! :laughing:

yes I know many sociologists that are TEACHERS

every taken SOCIOLOGY?

LMAO

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
So, you've resorted to repeating nonsensical personal attacks, huh? Haha. Better luck next time.

This is the point where I say I'm done, have a nice day. Sooo....

I'M DONE. HAVE A NICE DAY. :wavey:

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Well said, it is getting late, I should head to bed

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
EDIT.

G/N.

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Nothing to see here.

MRTRIPOD
01-24-2006, 10:52 PM
GOOD POSTS, sorry to get off topic:)

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
EDIT: I'll leave this one since it's quoted below. Thanks for sharing your points of view. Good night.

No, I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself. That really was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet :D

As for flaming... I'm sorry if I offended you, but I didn't see it as flaming. I saw it as a heated discussion.

Redhed
01-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Now back to regularly scheduled programming:

Sprint's pension benefits have canceled....

SLME
01-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Dam, my thread went to hell fast. :( Redhed, you make some good points. Tripod, chill please I beg you. My initial point of posting this thread was to inform those that work for SprintNextel and to gauge their opinions.

SLME
01-24-2006, 11:07 PM
So, who wants to make up the $800 million shortfall so that my pension stays put...? Huh?

Higher rate plans!

Higher handset prices!

Higher fees!

Who's with me...!!!!!

Hello..? :huh:

Oh, I didn't think so.

Honestly, I really don't count on anything but my 401K and personal savings anyway, so it's no big deal.

That's an employee's opinion....
Thank you for your opinion. And I agree here with you.

SLME
01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
No, I'm sorry... I couldn't help myself. That really was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the internet :D

As for flaming... I'm sorry if I offended you, but I didn't see it as flaming. I saw it as a heated discussion.
In the old days of S.U.'s beginnings heated discussions sometimes would turn into flame festivals unfortunately. :(

Redhed
01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm too tired. Should really just go to bed now.... I'm quoting myself instead of editing. Sorry.

SLME
01-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm too tired. Should really just go to bed now.... I'm quoting myself instead of editing. Sorry.
S.U. has that effect on people called sleep deprivation. :lol:

JJJ
01-25-2006, 06:43 AM
One can argue back and forth on pensions and the respondsiblities of corporate America. How anyone can justify this kind of crap. Here is a article that most Sprint Nextel employees may find interesting. http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/retirementsecurity/case_sprint.cfm

SLME
01-25-2006, 07:24 AM
One can argue back and forth on pensions and the respondsiblities of corporate America. How anyone can justify this kind of crap. Here is a article that most Sprint Nextel employees may find interesting. http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/retirementsecurity/case_sprint.cfm
Thank you for the link. This is just plain wrong in my book. If a corp like Sprint wants to freeze pensions it needs to be at all levels. So, in a way tripod was correct in one of his post about getting rid of bad employees, that to me would mean the executive crust.

Redhed
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Agreed...

...You think Sprint's leadership team cut short their own retirement packages? Yeah right!

The day a CEO cuts his retirement package to a level equal to those of his employees is the day I'll support it--until then, I maintain that he/she is a liar and a thief.

SLME
01-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I am right in ALL WAYS;)

*clears throat* :confused:

DJ_VIO
01-25-2006, 01:33 PM

No, actually, because if every company cut pension programs for CURRENT employees, I'd rather work for myself. I believe that lying is wrong, and I refuse to work for a liar--and any CEO who approves the dismissal of a pension program for employees to whom a pension was promised is a liar. Cutting pension plans for NEW employees is one thing, but CEOs who stop investing in it for current employees are LIARS. Plain and simple. Again, I will do what I believe is right, regardless of personal consequence... so, I won't be living in the Bahamas when I'm 70, but you know what? I'll be able to sleep at night. I'll know that I did what little I could to prevent the corporate takeover of the American SHEEPLE. (People wonder what is going wrong in this country... it's this. It's apathy.)

And this makes it okay? This makes it right? Just because other people lie doesn't make it okay for you to lie.

I don't disagree that people's trust is misplaced. That said, however, who gave people the idea that these corporations *could* be trusted? Who said, "Oh, come work for us. Look at all these things we have to offer you!"? Well, the companies, of course!!

How can companies mistreat their EMPLOYEES, the very people who make profit possible, and expect customers to continue supporting them? Oh yeah, I forgot... American companies can do this because they've trained us to be comfortable little consumers who believe everything they tell us.

You do understand, don't you, that employees (and customers!) are getting screwed so that the share price can increase by five or ten cents? Who really profits from that? Not the majority of employees! Who has the majority of stock options? Who gets their home and car insurance paid by the company? Who gets their FULL medical coverage paid by the company? Who gets their f'n PARKING TICKETS paid by the company? Believe it or not, it's not those who could actually AFFORD to pay for these things. Nope. It's the company's leadership. You talk about how health insurance costs are rising and blah blah blah... guess what! It's not rising for CEOs, because full health care coverage is part of their BENEFIT package. You think Sprint's leadership team cut short their own retirement packages? Yeah right!

Don't even get me started on FALSELY INFLATED health care costs. If you fall for that, you're stupider than I thought.

redhead, i think i'm in love with you now. marry me? <grin>

Ronkh
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
this thread has run it's course. and is turning into a flame fest

thread closed

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.