PDA

View Full Version : Selling a phone on eBay, if someone asks for the ESN should I give it to them?

BigA
12-11-2005, 01:16 AM
The topic says it all, I am selling my phone on eBay, and someone has asked for the ESN to see if the phone can be activated, should I give it to them or not?

freedom_fighter
12-11-2005, 01:24 AM
I've bought phones off ebay before.. yes you should if you want to sell it. it'll help relieve q's if your phone is clear for them to buy and use.

maw4bc
12-11-2005, 09:09 AM
what will they say if it is clear? Does the rep just say "yeah the phone is clear?" seems like a weird question but I was just curious.

inftaxs
12-11-2005, 09:21 AM
If I were buying a phone from Ebay, I would definitely verify that the phone can be activated before paying. The only way to do so is to call Sprint and supply the ESN. Sprint will verify that the phone can be used by checking the ESN in the system. If the phone was reported stolen or is on an overdue account, it can not be activated.

mnsweeps
12-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I put a note in my ebay auction that ESN will only be given to winner of auction BEFORE THE WINNER MAKES THE PAYMENT. That puts all potential buyers at ease.

josh33_unc
12-11-2005, 12:09 PM
what model and link we talkin? im a ebay phone buyer

jes
12-11-2005, 12:57 PM
I put a note in my ebay auction that ESN will only be given to winner of auction BEFORE THE WINNER MAKES THE PAYMENT. That puts all potential buyers at ease.
This is my approach as well. It eliminates others from "stealing" your ESN and making an insurance claim.

Cansuper
12-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Just my two cents, but I would not bid myself if I couldn't get the ESN before bidding. :rolleyes:

RicoRich196
12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Sometimes they want an ESN to makes sure the phone isn't stolen. Nothing worse than buying a phone only to find out it's no good.

jes
12-11-2005, 01:34 PM
The moral of my eBay story is this...
I once sold a Sanyo 4500 on eBay. I was asked for the ESN by an interested "buyer". I answered and the ESN was advertised in the Q&A section of the auction. Someone took the ESN, had the ESN activated on their line, and made a lost/stolen claim against insurance though they never had physical posession of the phone. It took me two solid months to get it straightened out. Had I not had original receipts and the cooperation of the actual winning bidder, it could have been much worse. Lesson learned, I will never advertise another ESN to the general eBay population. I will always check the member history of anyone who requests it and send it, maybe, on a case by case basis.

Brooose
12-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I give out the ESN to the winning bidder only. I will not give it out in advance to avoid the type of fraud that Jes experienced above. My feedback is good enough that people see that I am honest and once I have payment, I give them the ESN and all is well.

Dan
12-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I agree that most bidders want the ESN number to verify that the phone they are buying can in fact be activated. If you list in the auction that the phone is clear to be activated and that the winning bidder can have the ESN number to verify that should take care of it. Paypal will protect the buyer against a purchase made that is not as listed in the auction, so accept paypal and let the buyer know that your chosen payment is paypal. Give the ESN number to the winning bidder and all should be fine.

Just my 2 cents :)

dfwtxpatrick
12-12-2005, 08:21 AM
I have bought and sold several phones on Ebay.

In buying one, I will send a PM to them asking for verification that the ESN is clear for activation. When they reply that it is. I keep the PM for later incase there is a problem.

When selling a phone, I ALWAYS state that the "ESN will be provided to the winner of the phone PRIOR to asking for payment. This will ensure no one can activate the ESN in a case of fraud."

So, if your buying or selling, follow those 2 rules and you should be good to go.

Dwimmerlaik
12-12-2005, 10:17 AM
I agree with all the good advise here. The potential lost sale from someone who can't have an ESN in advance is worth it. All my Ebay auction listings say "I guarantee a clear ESN or your money back" so there is no question about the stated ability to activate the phone. I also only accept Pay Pal. I only give ESN's to winning bidders after they have paid. If something goes wrong afterwards, it takes 10 seconds to refund their money on Pay Pal. The crooks are always out there and you ned to take steps to protect yourself! Follow the advise here it is good!

halo17x
12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
When I sold mine, I printed clearly on the descriptioin that the ESN is clear with no standing balance and that the phone can be activated in big, bold letters. That way, it's written clearly for people to hold it against you should you be trying to rip them off. Basically, if you were the buyer and you saw that written there, you can easily contact eBay and win your case because you have legal proof.

Rachel
12-12-2005, 08:41 PM
The topic says it all, I am selling my phone on eBay, and someone has asked for the ESN to see if the phone can be activated, should I give it to them or not?

Yes.. buyers always want to check that to protect themselves against people trying to sell a phone that has been lost/stolen or that is attached to an acct that may be in collections and not yet completely finalized :wavey:

whoaitstu
11-08-2007, 03:18 AM
i once thought my phone was stolen and reported it to Sprint well actually i put a hold on using it but i later found it again .. so is there a way for me to clear the ESN so it can be used ? because i sold my phone and forgot all about the incident .. please someone reply back to me fast .. thanks

Dan
11-08-2007, 03:50 AM
i once thought my phone was stolen and reported it to Sprint well actually i put a hold on using it but i later found it again .. so is there a way for me to clear the ESN so it can be used ? because i sold my phone and forgot all about the incident .. please someone reply back to me fast .. thanks

Did you make a claim with sprints insurance carrier? If so, the phone is their property now.

If you simply reported it "lost" you should be able to contact sprint with *2 and have the phone removed from the negative file.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.