PDA

View Full Version : iPCS affiliate Buyout?

Pages : 1 [2]

applerokr
04-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Its mind boggling that Notre Dame isn't covered.
Seems that Sprint and iPCS would realize the potential for revenue there.

blondegoalie
04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
well I'm on notre dame campus and I can assure its not covered. its really sad. I just don't get how grand rapids get evdo where south bend/mishawaka doesn't .

JPSmith
04-30-2007, 12:47 PM
iPCS' 10-K filing indicates that they have licenses to only 10 Mhz of spectrum in a number of their Illinois markets including sizable ones e.g. Peoria, Springfield and Bloomington. They claim that this small amount of spectrum presents technical difficulties in moving to EVDO in these markets. (They have 20-30 Mhz of spectrum in other markets.) Is this true, or just another excuse not to deploy EVDO?

james2K
04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
iPCS' 10-K filing indicates that they have licenses to only 10 Mhz of spectrum in a number of their Illinois markets including sizable ones e.g. Peoria, Springfield and Bloomington. They claim that this small amount of spectrum presents technical difficulties in moving to EVDO in these markets. (They have 20-30 Mhz of spectrum in other markets.) Is this true, or just another excuse not to deploy EVDO?

YES!! I actually had the opportunity to talk to IPCS's VP on Saturday and that is exactly what he had said. SPRINT does not have the spectrum to get EVDO going there...yet.

blondegoalie
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
YES!! I actually had the opportunity to talk to IPCS's VP on Saturday and that is exactly what he had said. SPRINT does not have the spectrum to get EVDO going there...yet.

so what about South Bend Ft Wayne and the surrounding areas?

james2K
04-30-2007, 01:08 PM
so what about South Bend Ft Wayne and the surrounding areas?

same deal...he's got a collegue there who's always complaining about our market having EVDO and Notre Dame not.

blondegoalie
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
same deal...he's got a collegue there who's always complaining about our market having EVDO and Notre Dame not.

is there spectrum in the area to be bought?

james2K
04-30-2007, 06:36 PM
that, I do not know....

JPSmith
05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
They have 20 Mhz of spectrum in Champaign-Urbana, and it's a 250K population market, so they can't use this excuse with me....

rip
05-03-2007, 09:58 AM
ipcs coverage sucks.
i think horizon pcs, which was a different network partner (and was subsequently bought by iPCS) built their network better.... in some of the fromer Horizon areas the coverage is better. Go to a native iPcs area and its a joke.
Sprint doesn't want to fork over any more money.. but they really do need to do something. I don't want Sprint to get bought out, but you wonder if they are really wanting to sometimes.

You are correct in your thoughts. Horizon's markets covered a little over half the geographical are of iPCS's, but Horizon built twice as many cell sites as iPCS. This is why Horizon's coverage seems better, because it is. Out of the 1600 or so cell sites owned by iPCS about 1000 came from the Horizon PCS buyout.

rip
05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
ha ha, charade you are

I had been testing and mapping the EVDO network upgrades here for about two weeks before it went live. Spotty, actually very spotty. The areas covered by Sprint corporate sites are good. when you get in an area with iPCS only sites no EVDO. makes me think that Sprint upgraded their sites but iPCS only cherry picked theirs. And yes Sprint has over twice as many sites along the lakeshore as iPCS. Considering they were building out for 2 years before iPCS took over these markets. iPCS's engineers still argue with me about that one, but I was assisting Sprints network engineers on cell site locations for this side of the state for about a year before iPCS took over. The few sites iPCS has put up are either on the same tower as Sprints or a couple blocks away on a neighboring tower with only 2 exceptions I know of. Can you say "pilot pollution bigtime", makes it very difficult to make and hold a phone call in most areas.

rip
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM

10mhz is more than enough for EVDO considering EVDO rev o and rev a still use the same 1.25mhz channel size as 1x does. Look at Alltel launching EVDO in their 10mhz markets on the 850mhz cellular band. Using the "we only have 10mhz of spectrum" lame excuse is just that....a lame excuse.

parrott84
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Rip, nice to see you again, where have you been? Any updates on lawsuits or opinions about wimax in Grand Rapids(suppose to roll out in the first waive)?

rip
05-04-2007, 10:20 AM
No updates on the lawsuits, still playing the waiting game. As far as wimax is concerned GR is getting 2 networks. One from Sprint and one from Clearwire, guess which one will be more expensive? Sprints wimax plans are roughly 40% more that Clearwires. As to when they will be launched? This summer is what I am hearing, but that could change. On a side note Arialink is already launching wimax in Muskegon county, the entire county should be covered by the end of the year. Check out the progress here.....http://www.arialink.com/muskegon.php.

Arialink is starting with the "underserved" areas first then expanding to cover the entire county. And at less than $20.00 per month for unlimited access this deal cant be beat. So if any of you live in the Muskegon area, specifically those areas covered follow the link I provided you will be happy you did. Comcast and Charter better look out because they are squarely in the sights of Arialink, who happened to bring a howitzer to a knife fight. Oh Im also hearing that Arialink "may" expand their wimax network beyond Muskegon county into Oceana, Newago and maybe even Ottawa and Allegan counties. But don't quote me on that it all depends on how this trial in Muskegon county goes.

parrott84
05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Rip,

I have been having nightmare migration issues for a customer trying to take a number from an ensamble(sp?) Sprint account to a P2K Sprint account (which can be done) but in the process two of the most knowledgeable reps I talked to said that the affiliates are going away. I have been on the phone with this process for over 5hrs (1 customer) and have gotten alot of bs so I know when the rep sounds informed. The two brightest sounding reps said the affiliates were going away. Somewhere else I have heard they were going away around the end of the year. I am not jumping on a bandwagon yet but maybe some bright people are hearing things internally that allot of us don't know yet??? Here is what I think may happen???

1: iPCS is either in the buyout stage right now and are keeping a good secret...I have been told repeatedly lately that this is in Sprint's best interest (duh). With the improvements, migration issues, etc, does this seem to be making more sense? Plus iPCS lost over 19+? million last quarter alone. Plus we have seen lots of stock options picked up and sold (that part is actually confusing since you would think they would want to hold on to them in a buyout).
2: Sprint is negotiating another deal similar to the one Shentel signed with Sprint a couple months back. This seems entirely possible and typical of what Sprint would try to do...Not fix the situation, rather try to sweep it under the rug.
3: Nothing those reps are clueless.

It is interesting to note that so far this year alone iPCS has turned on 8 towers and possible more to come soon (our region only). We have turned on about 4-5 markets with EV-DO, plus Grand Rapids has Rev. A and Wifi plans this year. Some Michigan markets are testing, get this...FREE ROAMING in their plans!!! It seems like lots of things are beginning to align. Also, I have heard that Sprint owns or runs part of the Grand Rapids market??? It doesn't make sense but it was from someone who seemed knowledgeable...And I saw a Sprint car in town today that I didn't recognize, it could have been one of our techs since they are working on the towers, but I have never seen that before. If we were in a buyout mode it would make me wonder who or why they were there...What's your thoughts?

james2K
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Some Michigan markets are testing, get this...FREE ROAMING in their plans!!!

Yeah, that's the West MI Grand Rapids Market. It's a test at this point, but they say if it goes well it will cover all of IPCS. Existing customers have to change plans and resign if they want it.

SkiRacer2144
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Jonathan... not doubting you but how certain are you about Shentel finally implementing EVDO??? Is your source someone "in the know"??

Since the Shentel/Sprint settlement, I've figured it would go one of two ways... either Shentel -- having settled with Sprint -- would find no incentive to upgrade their network OR what you suggest... now that the uncertainty is over, they can be confident on getting return on their investment in the newer technology.

Their 2006 Corporate Report is now up on their website and the word "EVDO" is nowhere to be found in the document... even in the section where they detail their planned upgrades/expansions for 2007.

So I sure hope you know what you're talking about. Looks like you're in Pennsylvania. I know Shentel has the Harrisburg region and if that's where you are, I agree that Shentel should start any EVDO upgrades there. It's the Capital region of PA, probably Shentel's largest market, and there's simply no good reason for Sprint to still be limited to a 1X network in a high profile area like that. I'm further south on I-81 in the West Virginia Panhandle. Selfishly, I'm hoping Shentel would start here, but for right now, I'll just take the "moral victory" of knowing they're installing it SOMEWHERE! :)

I live in the Harrisburg PA area, and the Sprint service here really sucks. I rarely ever have more than 2 bars of service. I also get no service at all in buildings (i know sprint doesn't guarantee service in buildings, but no service in just about every building?? come on). And only 1x? What's up with that! I was in Orlando for a week this past week, and service down there kicked ass! EVDO and full service. What's up with Shantel not providing good service in this region? I can go an hour out to Allentown, or down the turnpike to Philladelphia and get the same quality service and EVDO I had in Orlando. I'm still in my Sprint "Trial" period, but if I don't see any improvement I'm sticking with my Nextel. Verizon offers EVDO in this area so why doesn't Sprint? :irked:

EliteSoja
05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (LG-LX550 AU-MIC-LX550/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I wish IPCS would roll out EVDO in Saginaw, MI. I Was tired of paying full price for Power Vision. Now I get a $5 credit a month. Anyone know if EVDO is in Saginaws future?

JonathanFIUWx
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I live in the Harrisburg PA area, and the Sprint service here really sucks. I rarely ever have more than 2 bars of service. I also get no service at all in buildings (i know sprint doesn't guarantee service in buildings, but no service in just about every building?? come on). And only 1x? What's up with that! I was in Orlando for a week this past week, and service down there kicked ass! EVDO and full service. What's up with Shantel not providing good service in this region? I can go an hour out to Allentown, or down the turnpike to Philladelphia and get the same quality service and EVDO I had in Orlando. I'm still in my Sprint "Trial" period, but if I don't see any improvement I'm sticking with my Nextel. Verizon offers EVDO in this area so why doesn't Sprint? :irked:
buddy im not too far from you and there is improvement. give it some time. and trust me i do sales for sprint and i have alot more people likeing sprint in our area then they do nextel. id stick with sprint. feel free to PM me if you have questions

JonathanFIUWx
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
trust me guys... the day i know shentel did 1 tower with evdo is the day i will make a post in flashing colors, already i noticed voice coverage showing up in colors instead of dots on the coverage maps so it should be soon i hope

who ever believes harrisburg best on sprint, i dunno about that. were trying but i personally dont think they are high on sprint as compared to verizon, cingular (call center there) and possibly nextel or t-mobile.

not to say they will get evdo but this is from what i believe and seperated from the company i work for i with all i mentioned, i believe PA would be first but to be exact i cant say without looking at high markets first

EngravEER
05-31-2007, 08:52 AM

I'm down here in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Martinsburg along I-81 south of Chambersburg, PA). Shentel voice service here is actually quite good IMHO. But I spent the day yesterday in the Washington, D.C. metro area. First time since getting my Treo 700wx back in March that I've been in a Sprint EVDO coverage area. I was blown away. Tears were streaming down my face when we crossed the mountain on I-70 heading home and back into Shentel's 1X coverage area. Now that I've experienced Filet Mignon, it's going to be tough to go back to eating the "Ground Chuck" that Shentel's serving for dinner :frustrate Jonathan says he believes Shentel EVDO coverage is coming soon. Pray he's right.

SkiRacer2144
05-31-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm down here in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Martinsburg along I-81 south of Chambersburg, PA). Shentel voice service here is actually quite good IMHO. But I spent the day yesterday in the Washington, D.C. metro area. First time since getting my Treo 700wx back in March that I've been in a Sprint EVDO coverage area. I was blown away. Tears were streaming down my face when we crossed the mountain on I-70 heading home and back into Shentel's 1X coverage area. Now that I've experienced Filet Mignon, it's going to be tough to go back to eating the "Ground Chuck" that Shentel's serving for dinner :frustrate Jonathan says he believes Shentel EVDO coverage is coming soon. Pray he's right.

I agree. I felt the same way after experiencing EVDO for the first time. I've since decided to keep Sprint knowing that I can always go back to Nextel at any time without a cancellation fee. My 700wx is blazing fast when I am in Philadelphia and Allentown PA, but once you hit the 1x in this area it really is depressing. You would think with all of the law makers around the Capitol Area that there would be a demand for high speed device access. I will admit that voice quality is better than Nextel, it's just those really dead patches that you hit when it stinks. I spend about 80% of my time Roaming around here (when I feel I shouldn't) and my batter life really suffers from the roaming and low signal coverage.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for EVDO. I just don't understand. EVDO is available about 30 miles to the east in a little rinky dink town which has nothing of importance in it (which is just about where I believe the a Sprint Corporate area starts..go figure)

Jonathan-- thanks for your intel on Shantel in this area. At least you feel my pain since you are local to me.

JonathanFIUWx
05-31-2007, 07:10 PM
i do feel your pain. but i did get great news so you will see improvements within the coming months. trust me guys

rip
06-08-2007, 01:03 AM
The only reason we ended up with EVDO rev A here in (some of) Muskegon is because the G.R.-Muskegon-Holland market is the second largest cellular market in Michigan. And is expected to become the largest market within 10 years. Not to mention either Alltel or VZW launching EVDO pretty much everywhere around here. And the fact that there are no less than 4 wimax providers in this market. 2 are or will be offering mobile wimax with the other 2 offering fixed wimax. Sprint had no choice but step up to the plate. iPCS on the other hand....they cant even find the table, and couldn't even if they were using telenav.

ftw
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
"Jonathan says he believes Shentel EVDO coverage is coming soon" evdo will be in some areassoon

syncmaster
06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
I live in Sturgis, MI (11,000 pops), which is right on the border of Indiana and Michigan, but I live in a corporate Sprint market. We've had EV-DO since last November, so has the little town of White Pigeon (about 15 miles west of here), they have 1,600 pops. They have EV-DO Rev. A, and have since November as well. (The rep at the iPCS store in Fort Wayne said neither town would ever see EV-DO, he was originally from White Pigeon, Sprint corporate said by the end of last year, and there it was)

1,600 pops and they have EV-DO Rev. A. But cities like South Bend, Ft. Wayne, and Saginaw don't.

iPCS needs to get their head out of their rear end.

Not to mention pretty much double their number of cell sites to provide anywhere near good service. When I travel in Indiana (quite often) I just force my phone to roam now, I can actually make a clear call. Thankfully I kept my Nextel line as well.

Then again thats just my $0.02, or $450/month to Sprint Nextel.

JonathanFIUWx
06-17-2007, 02:15 PM
i feel it doesnt matter about pop but more about subscriptions per area

syncmaster
06-17-2007, 08:52 PM
You're probably correct, but South Bend and Ft. Wayne both have V Cast up and running, so here iPCS is advertising Power Vision services but can't offer the full experience, while Verizon can.

But to the average consumer it looks like Sprint can't provide the services they offer, so in the long run it hurts them both. (Somewhere along the lines of the average consumer thinking Sprint and Nextel use the same network.)

In both of the Michigan cities I listed iDEN dominates the market, Nextel was around YEARS before Sprint, and to this day provide about twice as much coverage in the area. In Sturgis Sprint Nextel is the only "national carrier" to offer native service, can't get AT&T or T-Mobile, and Verizon roams on Alltel. Centennial is the dominate GSM provider.

Either way Sprint or iPCS needs to start taking care of their customers in these markets.

macuser09
06-20-2007, 05:35 AM
That seems to be a common theme among iPCS markets. They cover a lot of pops but don't have a lot of subs really and that is due to the horrid coverage they provide. I have found in many iPCS areas I get a tower icon to 1 bar most of the time and I can't connect to the tower to make a call. I have had times with 2-3 bars in iPCS areas and calls still won't connect and my phone will beep and say signal faded then the phone searches for service. It makes me wonder if they have the power turned up a little higher than sprint corp markets and create enough pilot pollution to hurt the network that they have.

syncmaster
06-20-2007, 06:24 AM
I have the same issue macuser09, I often travel through Lagrange county Indiana, and while you get full service around the seemingly only tower in the area, you only get 1, maybe 2 bars of service elsewhere, including in the county seat of Lagrange (also a town), and you pick up the Sprint corporate towers in Michigan along I80/90 (Indiana Toll Road).

Often times I find my phone roaming on Verizon or US Cellular, and my Nextel handsets pick up nearly full service throughout the whole county. From what I have seen on a day-to-day basis, Verizon and Nextel have the most subscribers (very unscientific method of simply watching peoples phones) in the area, and I can see exactly why.

blondegoalie
06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I have the same issue macuser09, I often travel through Lagrange county Indiana, and while you get full service around the seemingly only tower in the area, you only get 1, maybe 2 bars of service elsewhere, including in the county seat of Lagrange (also a town), and you pick up the Sprint corporate towers in Michigan along I80/90 (Indiana Toll Road).

Often times I find my phone roaming on Verizon or US Cellular, and my Nextel handsets pick up nearly full service throughout the whole county. From what I have seen on a day-to-day basis, Verizon and Nextel have the most subscribers (very unscientific method of simply watching peoples phones) in the area, and I can see exactly why.
anymore news on iPCS going down? I figured with the new ad campaign theyed wand nationwide EVDO.

Bosley28
07-02-2007, 11:18 PM
FYI...EV-DO is running in iPCS areas in eastern Iowa (Quad Cities, Iowa City area, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo/Cedar Falls). I had to call and get the latest PRL from Sprint and it worked.

blondegoalie
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
FYI...EV-DO is running in iPCS areas in eastern Iowa (Quad Cities, Iowa City area, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo/Cedar Falls). I had to call and get the latest PRL from Sprint and it worked.

thats great but i have 6800 with latest PRL im sure as the phone as new and get no evdo in south bend, in mishawaka, in and fort wayne, in has no evdo while little muncie tothe south does because its corporate. ipcs has to go at least in indiana.

syncmaster
07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
thats great but i have 6800 with latest PRL im sure as the phone as new and get no evdo in south bend, in mishawaka, in and fort wayne, in has no evdo while little muncie tothe south does because its corporate. ipcs has to go at least in indiana.

They just need to go altogether. I just picked up a Treo 755P and have had nothing but problems with it picking up the iPCS tower without EVDO over the (stronger signal) corporate tower with EVDO. If I force EVDO only I only get data services, text messages don't work, incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

But this wouldn't be a problem if iPCS would get moving. Especially in Indiana. :irked:

parrott84
07-05-2007, 12:54 AM
had nothing but problems with it picking up the iPCS tower without EVDO over the (stronger signal) corporate tower with EVDO. If I force EVDO only I only get data services, text messages don't work, incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

I was wondering about this the other day, maybe someone with more tower knowledge can help me out...The other day I was at my in-laws house and when I powered on my Treo 700wx I noticed my phone went to full signal with Ev-do signal (this is not normal, it usually only reflects an accurate signal) and then like 3 seconds later my signal died down to it's usual level (not a usable signal...call made and dropped constantly, also no ev-do). Since they are very close to the state line I was wondering if my phone was picking up a corporate tower that was not suppose to cross the state line (also the border between corporate and ipcs markets) and my prl caught the mistake and switched immediately...at least that's what I am thinking happened...Is that possible, I mean I am sure it's possible, but I have never heard of or experienced that happening before...If that is really the case then I will be super upset. The interesting thing is though, that I couldn't force it to go roaming on that signal (and the roaming was as of no help...as usual). What does everyone thing???

blondegoalie
07-05-2007, 04:53 AM
I hate ipcs so much that if I had three wishes my first one would be that everyone if their customers got a free iphone I wonder how many customers they have then... 0 when ever im in a so called sprint -ipcs store I tell the people the whole affilaite crap and tell them where the nearest verizon or att store... I bet they would thank me for it if I gave them my number. bad enough I have to carry an out of market number to get the sero plan if it want for that id drop sprint like a bad habit.

bernechad
07-09-2007, 02:16 AM
I hate ipcs so much that if I had three wishes my first one would be that everyone if their customers got a free iphone I wonder how many customers they have then... 0 when ever im in a so called sprint -ipcs store I tell the people the whole affilaite crap and tell them where the nearest verizon or att store... I bet they would thank me for it if I gave them my number. bad enough I have to carry an out of market number to get the sero plan if it want for that id drop sprint like a bad habit.

I know how ya feel. Right south of FT wayne here and I didn't know I was with an affiliate until after I signed up. And the EVDO annoys me...nothing around here or ft wayne, but if I drive 15 min south, I get to a rinky dink town that has it. WHAT? It's good enough for a town of 10K but not for a city of 150K?

LateAPXR
07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
hey FYI to everyone here.....

I went to lunch today at 3pm and noticed that I had full strength EV-DO coverage in Fort Wayne, IN (specifically 46825) on my Treo 700wx.

I'm not sure if it's full coverage of the city or not but it's not 6:30pm and I still have EV signal.

I think it's here....it's finally here!

bernechad
07-11-2007, 04:01 AM
hey FYI to everyone here.....

I went to lunch today at 3pm and noticed that I had full strength EV-DO coverage in Fort Wayne, IN (specifically 46825) on my Treo 700wx.

I'm not sure if it's full coverage of the city or not but it's not 6:30pm and I still have EV signal.

I think it's here....it's finally here!

:headbang2 sweet!

Good info LateAPXR, I'll be up there this weekend to check it out. Gonna be at 3 rivers, so using some EVDO for the first time on this phone will give me something to do.

LateAPXR
07-11-2007, 07:30 AM
oddly enough I'm back to 1X now that I'm at home in 46805. That's only a difference of 3 miles or so.

Work is up by W.Washington Center Rd. and Home is just south of State Blvd.

Coverage apparently isn't perfect but I guess that makes sense to give it to the north side of town...more businesses and people living/working there.

Makes me wonder what the west side of town is like too. I'll check out directly downtown when I take my daughter in to daycare this morning.

Progress is progress though. Came at a good time too...I just finished spending a week with EV in the Pittsburgh area and was getting quite used to it. :)

pdx77
07-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Which is why I don't get why Sprint makes it so hard to get a PRL update since it does help. I had to call in 15 times to get my PRL Updated, one of the reps, asked me "why do I feel like I needed to get it updated" Well that's proof right there that I did need to get my PRL updated. I'm in Cedar Rapids for the week visiting family and it is nice that they have EVDO up and running now. Now if they can improve their network coverage it would be great.

Do you know if they went to Rev a?

Bosley28
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
I was told it was Rev. A by the Senior Commercial Account manager for Iowa and Illinois. I haven't tested speed though.

pdx77
07-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I was told it was Rev. A by the Senior Commercial Account manager for Iowa and Illinois. I haven't tested speed though.

Rev A would make sense, it would be stupid for them to upgrade to EVDO and not do A while they are at it. But it's also ipcs so who knows.

Blazr2k
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
The EVDO that has been launched in IA and IL is Rev A.

sjflybaby
07-18-2007, 10:19 AM
What is IPCS and what is EDVO? What's the difference? Am I missing something here?

parrott84
07-19-2007, 03:54 PM
What is IPCS and what is EDVO? What's the difference? Am I missing something here?

Yes you are missing something, and you sould search. iPCS Wireless Inc is an affiliate of Sprint reselling Sprint service in parts of 9 (i think) States. EvDO is the broadband like internet speeds that you can get on your phone. There are two types of EvDO, one is Rev. O and one is Rev. A. Rev A is is what is currently being rolled out in most of the country (though Sprint's network is not entirely EvDO yet) and it is faster than Rev O.

sjflybaby
07-22-2007, 07:51 PM
How do I know whether I have Rev O or Rev A? I think I have EvDO, but I'm not sure. I have a Treo 700p and I know I can access the internet. As far as I know I am (and have been) a "Sprint" customer for at least 5 or more years.

parrott84
07-24-2007, 12:50 AM
How do I know whether I have Rev O or Rev A? I think I have EvDO, but I'm not sure. I have a Treo 700p and I know I can access the internet. As far as I know I am (and have been) a "Sprint" customer for at least 5 or more years.
Please do a search as this is not the thread for Rev. O vs. Rev. A.

boiker
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm in Peoria, IL in the heart of IPCS coverage. Today will browsing through the local IPCS sprint store i asked one of the more knowledgable staff about EVDO. THey said Bloomington/Normal should be going live on EVDO within weeks. Peoria will follow.

So I fully expect EVDO in PEoria sometime around the spring of 2016.

Raeg03
08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Haha, now thats funny.

Well, I am here in Grand Rapids, MI and on my upstage, just fvnking around with speed tests, I spiked at about 192kbits on the mobile web browser.

Kinda makes me think I am in revA now seeing as before, i would max out at like 50 or 60.

sjflybaby
08-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Where do I do this search?

dcd
08-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm in Peoria, IL in the heart of IPCS coverage. Today will browsing through the local IPCS sprint store i asked one of the more knowledgable staff about EVDO. THey said Bloomington/Normal should be going live on EVDO within weeks. Peoria will follow.

So I fully expect EVDO in PEoria sometime around the spring of 2016.

LOL - that would be about right based on iPCS' timelines in the past. I am in b/n and soon moving to EP, could you tell me what peoria store gave you this information? Do you remember who you talked to? My understanding was that iPCS has claimed it would be impossible in central illinois because they only have 25mhz of spectrum, although ive seen this claim disputed (and alltel rolled out evdo in some areas where they have 25mhz or less)

parrott84
08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Mods, can we please get this thread back on topic? The last 15 or so posts have all been about evdo and evdo speeds instead of the buyout.

dcd
08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Mods, can we please get this thread back on topic? The last 15 or so posts have all been about evdo and evdo speeds instead of the buyout.

the last 15 or so posts have been about iPCS. there is no new news about the buyout or lawsuit. this thread is THE place for iPCS customers to watch. the buyout is very very relevant to our evdo, although i understand its not vice versa. but I think you are complaining about a few posts about iPCS in a 21 page thread about iPCS. do you have something more relevant to the topic to say?

dcd
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
i apologize if i have hijacked your thread or if discussion like this isnt allowed here. ive been a long time lurker but just signed up when i read boikers post. what i should have said is, this thread has become a major source of iPCS related information on the internet. maybe the title could be changed since discussion has changed direction? i have 3 posts here, i dont expect my opinion to count for much. i shouldnt have been such a **** in the last post, doesnt this site have an edit button? :)

Raeg03
08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
LoL, well if you are going to complain about the threads not having enough info about the buyout, wy dont you get some more information for us to talk about :)

Not trying to be rude, but how is the last 15 posts affecting YOU personally?

Are you coming on thinking there is new info, only to be dissappointed? If so, try and get some info for us so we got something new to talk about.

parrott84
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
To answers your questions I do constantly check every time this thread is updated, and yes I am disappointed to find out it is evdo questions. While ipcs territory evdo questions may fit your scope of the title or what this thread has become (note: I did not say that it does fit the scope of the title), most of the questions do not need to be in a thread title ipcs affiliate buyout, rather they could be in the general forums in a regular thread regarding evdo, or they could be in the vision, power vision, etc forum in a thread regarding ipcs if you like. Part of my frustration is that people are asking very basic questions that could be found in in the FAQ's (i.e. what's the difference between ipcs and evdo???). I am not knocking those questions, rather I am saying there are better places to ask them instead of being off topic and distracting the thread.

Also, dcd, if you go to profile > edit options you can chose to set all threads to 100 posts, that's what I do and then you have much less pages to sort through.

Now to get back on topic, the reason I haven't posted any info on the ipcs buyout is because I haven't heard any. And RIP who is generally a good source hasn't posted anything. I do wonder what will happen, as we all do, and especially with the billing conversions going on I wonder daily if we will be bought or if we will get the new billing system also. See right now it is impossible for Sprint to give an ipcs customer an ensemble account (note: this does not mean it is impossible to give a customer living in an ipcs territory an ensemble account, only that it is impossible for an affiliate customer to have an ensemble account). This makes it curious to me if they will convert all affiliate customers to the new billing system or do the buy the affiliates. Since Sprint typically messes things up, I am guessing this mess will continue way to long and that nothing changes until sometime next year. This will continue to make all corporate customers very upset since they will not be able to pay their bills in ipcs stores, change plans, do esn swaps, or receive upgrade rebates. Not only that, but how crazy is this, bill pays are directed towards Nextel corporate stores! People who have never had Nextel travel through an affiliate area and are told to go pay their bills at a Nextel store...incredible! Anyways, I am done.

Raeg03
08-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I can see where you are coming from, totally.

Everytime I see something new, I wonder "is there something I missed through the grapevine" but then I see a general question and am a little bummed out as well.

Then I see it is a question that I can easily answer and it makes me feel a little better and less disappointed.

I do agree it stinks we cant do corporate lines and what not, but I guess we just have to keep checking and hopefully we will be enlightened soon.

macuser09
08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
This is about the only thing I could find:

Sprint affiliate iPCS reported a net loss of $43.6 million for the second quarter compared with a loss of $10.4 million in the year-ago quarter. Net additions totaled about 21,000. Churn improved to about 2.2%.

I guess at least iPCS is consistent with its results each quater. I can't remember when the last time was iPCS actually made money in a quater.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/Week-In-Review-August03-2007.aspx

More may come today with Sprint releasing quarterly results.

rip
08-08-2007, 10:57 PM
there is nothing new to report on with the lawsuit between ipcs and sprint right now. we are all waiting on the apeals court ruling.

parrott84
08-09-2007, 01:06 AM
there is nothing new to report on with the lawsuit between ipcs and sprint right now. we are all waiting on the appeals court ruling.

Thank you, nice to see you again.

Raeg03
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
there is nothing new to report on with the lawsuit between ipcs and sprint right now. we are all waiting on the apeals court ruling.
Thanks for the update, hope to hear more :)

Raeg03
09-15-2007, 10:35 AM
It has been over a month, is there any new information on the buyout or is it still in SPrint limbo??

acadiel
11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Any updates, anyone?

macuser09
11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Nothing to report as of late. The only thing that has been released is the quarterly numbers from ipcs. Of which the ipcs website has been hacked (h4ck3d by W4n73d H4ck3r .:. "s0ul 0f 4 v4g4b0nd" ;) ) so I don't have those numbers. I guess they upset another customer.

acadiel
11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I spoke to an iPCS person up in Schaumburg, and they told me they're on track to have EVDO REV A by next June in the Illinois market. They're suffering from 10Mhz spectrum limitations in some of their territories, and they will be needing to split cell sites so that they do not become over crowded.

Also, he mentioned something about more services becoming available after iPCS migrates to Ensemble in 2008. I wonder what that's all about?

After spending a week and a half in Central Florida, I've become spoiled to EVDO and this dial-up speed stuff (is it 1XRTT?) is sloooooow.

parrott84
11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
This is very interesting info, what type of person were you talking to? I haven't heard anyone mention anything about ipcs switching to ensemble, although it seems to be a necessity.

I would assume that more services being available would be things such as nextel/sprint accounts together, esn swaps online, qchat, as well as sprints version of fav 3 and airwave.

sprintgod
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
IPCS Sucks as a former employee in central illinois i have harsh feelings toward them. They pretty much screwed me over while working there. IPCS does nothing for the customers except have sales reps call people over and over making offers over the phone to the same customers. IPCS is a joke!!!!

Blazr2k
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Something new...

IPCS ANNOUNCES ORAL ARGUMENT DATE IN ILLINOIS APPEAL

http://ir.ipcswirelessinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=120786&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1093960&highlight=

sjf7351
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Not sure what this means, can anybody elaborate:1zhelp:.

parrott84
01-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Not sure what this means, can anybody elaborate:1zhelp:.

It means that come Feb. 14th the lawyers will argue their sides in front of a judge and a couple of months later (maybe sooner, though I doubt it) we will know the results of that argument in court. A couple of months after that we should begin feeling the effects of the case. It's crazy, it seems like this has been going on forever. I think it feels that way because it has been going on forever, the date this whole thing started was 8/06, it's 1/08 now. That is almost a year and a half!!!

macuser09
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Here is hoping that this forces Sprint to take some sort of action. Of course this depends on if the ruling is upheld by the judge. iPCS needs to go!

KennyD
01-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Here is hoping that this forces Sprint to take some sort of action. Of course this depends on if the ruling is upheld by the judge. iPCS needs to go!

I'm so ready for the corp. plans.. like unl roaming!

Spyder78
01-18-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm so ready for the corp. plans.. like unl roaming!

iPCS has roaming plans now. Also a new $49.99 600ATM plan

pdx77
01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
iPCS has roaming plans now. Also a new $49.99 600ATM plan

Not in all areas, here in eastern Iowa, plans do not include roaming.

sprintgod
02-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Bump

pdx77
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
double post for some odd reason.. MODS please delete =0)

pdx77
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Bump
Nothing new to report :)

Actually what I don't get is this:

on Sprint.com and on nationwide ads they area advertising unlimited text for $10. *(even here in Iowa they are advertising this like crazy) but being that I am in an affilate market; iPCS they will not honor that promotion since it's a corporate thing. * Do you realize how bad it is to advertise something like this, someone sees the unlimited ad on tv goes to the Sprint store, rep says oh sorry we don't honor that promotion that just makes Sprint as a whole look bad. *Your average consumer does not know what iPCS is to them they see the word Sprint in front of the Sprint store and they assume it's Sprint and not iPCS.

I can't wait for the day iPCS gets shut down.

james2K
02-16-2008, 03:04 PM
:confused:

I sell their product... and add $10 U/L text all day

<-- Works and lives in IPCS's largest market. It's not too bad here :indiff:

pdx77
02-16-2008, 03:07 PM
:confused:
I sell their product... and add $10 U/L text all day
<-- Works and lives in IPCS's largest market. It's not too bad here :indiff:
It's just here, from what I hear Cedar Rapids is the worst iPCS market out there. * No roaming or anything like that (actualyl they are the only carrier that does not offer roaming as part of their plan).

I could be completly wrong, but the last few times I was at the local Sprint store here I asked them about the unlimited text promo and the sales rep said that it's a special promotion only in select markets and we are not one of them. *Over heard a couple of other sales reps say the same thing to other customers. *Great way to loose customers btw.

moe300
02-16-2008, 03:27 PM
It's just here, from what I hear Cedar Rapids is the worst iPCS market out there. * No roaming or anything like that (actualyl they are the only carrier that does not offer roaming as part of their plan).

I could be completly wrong, but the last few times I was at the local Sprint store here I asked them about the unlimited text promo and the sales rep said that it's a special promotion only in select markets and we are not one of them. *Over heard a couple of other sales reps say the same thing to other customers. *Great way to loose customers btw.

I am in Iowa City, and I get the roaming option for $15 shared across 6 lines. Are you saying they don't offer it at all, or that they don't offer it included in the plan? I haven't switched plans in so long I'm not up on what they are offering now. I know that just to get the 50% roaming option, it was like pulling teeth... we had a petition that we signed at the sprint store in coralville to get the ball rolling. I too hate ipcs... they royally suck.

pdx77
02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I am in Iowa City, and I get the roaming option for $15 shared across 6 lines. Are you saying they don't offer it at all, or that they don't offer it included in the plan? I haven't switched plans in so long I'm not up on what they are offering now. I know that just to get the 50% roaming option, it was like pulling teeth... we had a petition that we signed at the sprint store in coralville to get the ball rolling. I too hate ipcs... they royally suck.

To be honest I have no idea what their current offering is as far as roaming, I get different answers each time I go there, but last I checked they don't include it for "Free" in their normal plans like corporate markets do.

macuser09
02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
It isn't any better in IL as far as plans go. The network is the problem here as it doesn't cover major roads or even towns very well. In the Macomb area my phone has to roam in any kind of structure just to work properly. Going north on US67 signal goes to just a tower icon for a very long ways and calls will not go through. I have to force roaming just to make a call along much of US67 north of Macomb. Going south out of Macomb on US67 signal fades out in a few miles. They really need to think about covering the area south of there as they are getting ready to start upgrading that road to 4-lane. iDOT just bought a bunch of land around Beardstown and will start building the bridge shortly. The one house bought is going to be torn down as soon as the people move out and construction will begin. I still don't know why iPCS hasn't chosen to cover a road that is being upgraded. It has the traffic if it is being upgraded. It would also be nice if US24 and 136 was covered and some of the IL routes like 336 and 9.

Dubspoon
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
This is another one on Hesse's plate, they need stop dragging this out and just absorb all that remain

macuser09
02-17-2008, 11:10 AM
All of the affiliates should have been bought up when the merger took place. iPCS is needs to be taken care of then Sprint needs to build their own network in the ntelos areas. I hear ntelos is providing a pretty poor network for Sprint to use.

PCSuser
02-17-2008, 11:27 AM
macuser - yeah. I agree.

And as for NexTech and Pioneer (in Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas) I think they are the only partners of Sprints who are doing well.

I mean SwifTel needs to get bought (SD carrier), and so does ShenTel (northern Virginia).

-PCSuser

macuser09
02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Nextech, Pioneer and Alaska Digitel are Sprint rural alliance members. There are a few others that are part of the program but I can't remember all of the names. I do wish the transition between Sprint and Nextech networks was a bit better but they cover areas Sprint wouldn't. I do hope the affiliate mess gets cleared up soon as it isn't helping Sprint having them around. Sprint doesn't have a great rep right now as it is but it seems to be even worse in iPCS land than other areas I have been to.

Sprint did work out a deal with Shentel not to long ago so I don't think they will be going anywhere. Shentel is deploying EVDO and adding sites so at least progress is being made.

macuser09
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
It has taken more than three years, but Ottawa County has a plan ready to make wireless Internet available countywide.

Today, officials planned to announce a partnership with iPCS Wireless Inc., a Sprint PCS affiliate of Sprint Nextel, that would make wireless available to 95 percent of the county's 257,000 residents. The company would invest $1 million in technology. The county would market the wireless network.

"This is pretty exciting," said Paul Sachs, a management analyst with the Ottawa County Planning Department. "You'll be able to use the Internet in your car and have a high-speed wireless service while driving on the highway.

"It will really allow us to do what we wanted to do."

The system would use the Sprint cell-phone-based EV-DO network, which already covers most of Ottawa and Kent counties. Service would be not be cheap -- $59.99 a month for unlimited use. According to Sprint's Web site, the network averages download speeds of 0.6 to 1.4 megabits per second and upload speeds of 350 to 500 kilobits per second.

But that is nine times faster than dial-up, the only Internet option for most of rural Ottawa County, Sachs said. A 17-member Wireless Task Force was formed in 2004 to study developing a privately owned countywide wireless broadband network.

The task force learned more than 50 percent of Ottawa County residents have no access to high-speed connections. In 2006, county officials tested a cellular-based technology in Jamestown Township with BroadBreeze Communications.

But an arrangement with that company failed when Broadbreeze sold its license to Clearwire, a West Coast company that is working with Grand Rapids on a citywide WiMax broadband service.

Sachs said iPCS already has 12 to 20 towers in the area and will spend $1 million renovating or updating them. "We were looking to fund a way to expand the wireless options without using taxpayer dollars," he said. "It's pretty good.

"It's exactly what we wanted to accomplish."

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/index.ssf?/base/business-5/120334591046090.xml&coll=6

macuser09
02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
At least iPCS is working on towers in some areas in IL.

macuser09
02-19-2008, 10:28 PM
iPCS Inc (NASDAQ:IPCS) will release the fourth quarter earnings for 2007 on March 3.

A holding company, iPCS operates as a personal communications services Affiliate of the Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S) through three wholly owned subsidiaries, iPCS Wireless Inc, Horizon Personal Communications Inc and Bright Personal Communications Services. Each subsidiary has its own agreements with Sprint PCS.

The company is responsible for building, operating and managing the portion of the 100% digital, 100% PCS network of Sprint PCS in its territory as a PCS Sprint Affiliate. The company also has an exclusive right to provide digital wireless service under the Sprint name in its territory.

iPCS territory is comprised of 80 markets, mainly in Illinois, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio and Tennessee.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=37496&cat=8

macuser09
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080303006428&newsLang=en

iPCS, Inc. Reports Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2007; Amends Affiliation Agreements with Sprint PCS

Amendments Settle Rate Arbitration and Other Operational Disputes;

Sprint Nextel Merger Litigation Remains Outstanding

Company Also Provides Business Outlook for Full Year 2008

Highlights for the Fourth Quarter ended December 31, 2007:

Total revenue of $141.9 million, compared to $133.0 million in the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

Net loss of $4.1 million, or $0.24 per share, compared to a net loss of $12.0 million, or $0.72 per share, in the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

Adjusted EBITDA of $25.5 million, compared to $16.3 million in the quarter ended December 31, 2006. Included in Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter ended December 31, 2007 is approximately $0.3 million in Sprint Nextel litigation expenses. Included in Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter ended December 31, 2006 was approximately $0.5 million in Sprint Nextel litigation expenses.

Capital expenditures of $14.2 million, compared to $15.7 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

As previously announced on January 23, 2008: -- Gross additions of 63,800, compared to 74,100 for the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

-- Net additions of 7,800, compared to 27,000 for the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

-- Monthly churn, net of 30 day deactivations, of 2.7%, compared to 2.4% for the quarter ended December 31, 2006.

-- Ending subscribers of 629,900, compared to 561,300 at December 31, 2006.

Highlights for the Year ended December 31, 2007:
Total revenue of $538.1 million, compared to $492.4 million for the year ended December 31, 2006.

Net loss of $69.3 million or $4.08 per share, compared to $46.0 million or $2.76 per share for the year ended December 31, 2006.

Adjusted EBITDA of $80.6 million, compared to $72.1 million in the year ended December 31, 2006. Included in Adjusted EBITDA for the year ended
December 31, 2007 is approximately $2.4 million in Sprint Nextel litigation and severance expenses. Included in Adjusted EBITDA for the year ended December 31, 2006 was approximately $6.4 million in Sprint Nextel litigation and integration expenses.

Capital expenditures of $39.7 million, compared to $44.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2006.

Subscriber Activity: -- Gross additions of 275,600, compared to 247,500 for the year ended December 31, 2006.

-- Net additions of 68,600, compared to 67,600 for the year ended December 31, 2006.

-- Monthly churn, net of 30 day deactivations, of 2.5%, compared to 2.5% for the year ended December 31, 2006.

macuser09
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080303006428&newsLang=en

That site also has information on the new agreement between iPCS and Sprint/Nextel. Both parties are still waiting to find out what will happen to the nextel network in the ipcs territories.

acadiel
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Just FYI -

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080229/aqf059.html?.v=31

"In the fourth quarter, U.S. Cellular agreed to deliver personal communication service (PCS) spectrum in eight licenses covering portions of one state to Sprint Nextel in exchange for more strategically useful spectrum in eight licenses covering portions of four states."

What does US Cellular have to do with IPCS? A little birdie (actually, someone at iPCS) told me that this additional 10Mhz of spectrum was for Central Illinois (between Chicago and St. Louis). So that one state in the news release is Illinois. This will allow iPCS to roll out 3G, since it really couldn't do it only 10Mhz of spectrum, but could do it with 20Mhz easily.

We should hopefully have 3G by June in Central Illinois, according to my source. I'm not sure if this is a precursor to a buyout by Sprint or not.

macuser09
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
It would be nice to see EVDO in Central IL. Hopefully that deal will include the macomb area. In the fourth quarter results from iPCS they talked about increasing the footprint they have. I welcome that if they actually do it.

slieb85
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM

I don't get what store your going into. If it is the one by Westdale or the one by Target on Blairs Ferry you won't get that answer. The unlimited text is advertised in those stores. As long as you are on the Power Pack plan you can get unlimited text for $10. It's only on individual lines and only on Power Pack plans IN EVERY AREA.

JPSmith
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
A little birdie (actually, someone at iPCS) told me that this additional 10Mhz of spectrum was for Central Illinois (between Chicago and St. Louis). So that one state in the news release is Illinois. This will allow iPCS to roll out 3G, since it really couldn't do it only 10Mhz of spectrum, but could do it with 20Mhz easily.

We should hopefully have 3G by June in Central Illinois, according to my source. I'm not sure if this is a precursor to a buyout by Sprint or not.

Commenters have stated earlier in this thread that 10 Mhz of spectrum is plenty to roll out EVDO i.e. iPCS is just using this as an excuse to delay deployment. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some other excuse once they acquire the additional spectrum.

acadiel
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Commenters have stated earlier in this thread that 10 Mhz of spectrum is plenty to roll out EVDO i.e. iPCS is just using this as an excuse to delay deployment. I wouldn't be surprised if they find some other excuse once they acquire the additional spectrum.

#1 - iPCS doesn't own the spectrum. Sprint Nextel does. So its entirely Sprint's fault for not buying it sooner.
#2 - Yes, you can deploy in 10Mhz, but you better be constructing many more cell sites to cut down on the traffic on each existing cell site. Making 20Mhz of spectrum available is a much easier and possibly less costly solution.
#3 - iPCS isn't using that as an excuse to delay deployment. They are working within the constraints of their most recent agreement with Sprint which states that if they have XX amount of EVDO available to their subscriber base that they are paying Sprint less $$ per subscriber (check out the December 2007 quarterly report.)

sid777
03-25-2008, 01:40 PM
What a good read, I'll have to come back and read the rest of this thread. I was involved in the buildout in W MI, and yes it was made to be mostly a roaming network for Sprint users on the road from Detroit and Chicago. We tried to get sites to cover towns and they would not do it but money was tight. When Airgate came in it turned into a huge mess and they cut good sites that would have helped, I could tell you amazing stories; it was not that bad before that. Then they went under and I lost track of them. As was common then they had some really poor employees that screwed things up badly and no captain to keep them in line. Once when the system in GR had been on maybe 1yr a guy went and changed settings....caused the marketing manager's phone to drop half a dozen times across GR (and everyone else). Oops, he changed it back and got a pat on the back. Needless to say he had not a clue what he was doing. The smart guys were the ones that sold iPCS to Airgate, AG did not even seem to realize it bought a system much larger than they were at the time. They did not seem to know what to do with it, how to manage it. The drop in the economy socked it to them. Sprint has its hands full with Nextel for sure, I never could figure out why anyone would want to buy that iDen system. You pretty much have to toss the whole thing in the trashcan.

pdx77
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
At least here iPCS is getting slightly better, they are now offering the Simply Everything plan which kind of suprised me, and on that plan and their family plans they are now offering free roaming (nothing yet on their regular plans for roaming).. but it's a start.

parrott84
03-25-2008, 11:06 PM
At least here iPCS is getting slightly better, they are now offering the Simply Everything plan which kind of suprised me, and on that plan and their family plans they are now offering free roaming (nothing yet on their regular plans for roaming).. but it's a start.

While you are right it doesn't do anything to rectify any of the old plans people have. I got a new plan for my family right before I found out about the roaming deal and now I don't have it. Most of the time I don't need it, but all of the time I want it.

sprintgod
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
not sure what was going on today was just south of springfield il and on my 8400 i had the evdo web going today for a while

acadiel
05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
What a good read, I'll have to come back and read the rest of this thread. I was involved in the buildout in W MI, and yes it was made to be mostly a roaming network for Sprint users on the road from Detroit and Chicago. We tried to get sites to cover towns and they would not do it but money was tight. When Airgate came in it turned into a huge mess and they cut good sites that would have helped, I could tell you amazing stories; it was not that bad before that. Then they went under and I lost track of them. As was common then they had some really poor employees that screwed things up badly and no captain to keep them in line. Once when the system in GR had been on maybe 1yr a guy went and changed settings....caused the marketing manager's phone to drop half a dozen times across GR (and everyone else). Oops, he changed it back and got a pat on the back. Needless to say he had not a clue what he was doing. The smart guys were the ones that sold iPCS to Airgate, AG did not even seem to realize it bought a system much larger than they were at the time. They did not seem to know what to do with it, how to manage it. The drop in the economy socked it to them. Sprint has its hands full with Nextel for sure, I never could figure out why anyone would want to buy that iDen system. You pretty much have to toss the whole thing in the trashcan.

I told you guys by the beginning of June! :-)

acadiel
05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I told you guys by the beginning of June! :-)

Ack. I quoted the wrong thread. That's what I get for doing it on my cell phone.

Anyways, iPCS Illinois will all have EVDO by the beginning of June. They're tuning it up in the rural areas (i.e. north of Bloomington/Normal and this other report about outside of Springfield.) They should be tuning up everyone else shortly.

killroy007
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
When is IPCS going to get EVDO in the former Horizon area(Southern Ohio )?
This area has great coverage and many many Sprint or IPCS customers yet they still have us on the crap old slow stuff with no EVDO.

cellular_freak
05-21-2008, 01:45 AM
Hello. This is my first post on this site.

I, too, have been wondering when iPCS would be bought out by Sprint. Their network here in Michigan is horrendous. I have heard that it's great if you're in the main cities, like Saginaw, Midland, or Bay City or others, but once you venture out from them, you're roaming. I have heard from a person posting on a different site that iPCS plans to rapidly buildout in Michigan this summer. For instance, here in my town of Caro, iPCS apparently is planning to build a new tower (or add to an existing one) I'm not sure which.

Does anybody else have any news on this buildout?

macuser09
05-21-2008, 03:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard about any further buildout plans from Springfield, IL to Beardstown, along IL125, then up to Macomb along US 67. I know they added a site at Pleasant Plains not that long ago and was wondering if they were going to cover the rest of that very busy route. I don't like iPCS but if they improve the network a bit then that would change. It just seems like improvements are slow to happen.

iGroove
05-21-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163666

I posted it here....

I have been under the EVDO since the weekend....

Zach

jmoz2989
06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
iPCS has made little progress in Pennsylvania in terms of upgrading to EV-DO. They have great coverage here, so why let it go to waste. Either put some money into upgrading the network or just get bought already.

pdx77
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Does anyone know if iPCS is doing the new Sprint plans that were in place last Monday? If that' the case I wonder if they are now offering roaming on most of their plans since they are offering the unimited plan with free roaming.

parrott84
06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know if iPCS is doing the new Sprint plans that were in place last Monday? If that' the case I wonder if they are now offering roaming on most of their plans since they are offering the unimited plan with free roaming.

Yes they are doing those plans, and yes roaming is now available on most of their plans. The only ones that lack roaming included (that I know of) are the talk only plans (individual, non-everything, non-messaging plans).

Tvac897
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
From what i hear the buyout has been cancelled....

macuser09
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Sprint hasn't even really talked of a buyout at least not yet. Sprint and iPCS are just keeping the courts busy for now. We all hope for a buyout to be rid of iPCS.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.