PDA

View Full Version : MSID different than my phone number, will that cause any problems.

will_z32
09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-7400/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Any help is appreciated

fl00d_pr0z
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
As long as your phone is programmed with the numbers correctly, no. My brothers MSID programmed to his phone is not the same as the phone number. All the other phones we have, their the same. From what I was told, it was because it's either an older number, or it was ported from another company and Sprint now owns the number. I'm not sure really. But, no, it should be no problem.

freeza
09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
same with mine, totally different number. so far it hasn't caused amy problems but it's still nice to have the same MSID.

ragincajuns
09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
The MSID will be different in many cases going forward. When someone ports thier number to Sprint, they are assigned a Sprint MSID. Sprint uses this for various purposes, including Mobile 2 Mobile. It makes no difference on the user end whether they are the same or different.

will_z32
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-7400/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Ok FYI i have an original sprint number

atmachine
09-07-2005, 01:28 PM
yeah 88% of the time the msid , and phone number are diffrent

ragincajuns
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
If you have an original Sprint number, your MSID was probably assigned to a port number before you signed up.

plurseed
09-07-2005, 01:44 PM
W.L.N.P. compliance phones been doing this for about 3 years now to ready porting of other numbers and other such events.

NaughtyPine
09-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Completely normal, and safer this way tooas it's harder for someone to perform fraud on you account. (Cloning, swapping, etc).

jh101_7
09-07-2005, 02:48 PM
i've had a case where my msid (not my phone number) show as my outgoing caller id when i was calling people when analog roaming, but other than that no problems.

Deval
09-07-2005, 03:25 PM
the MSID being different doesnt matter unless you have an old-ass phone, which isnt WLNP compliant

gjriley
09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I have never been able to get AIM IM forwarding through SMS (through www.aim.com) to work. The registration confirmation code will never come through to my phone. I've seen some posts on here that suggest this is the case for people who have ported their numbers to Sprint and therefore have an MSID different from their phone number (as I do).

larry
09-07-2005, 03:43 PM
the MSID being different doesnt matter unless you have an old-ass phone, which isnt WLNP compliant

Even some of the older phones (A500 software version WD29) which were supposed to be WLNP compliant had problems when the MSID and MDN were not the same number. I had to change my number to a number where both numbers were the same. Wasn't easy though as Sprint had to look hard to find one.

Deval
09-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Even some of the older phones (A500 software version WD29) which were supposed to be WLNP compliant had problems when the MSID and MDN were not the same number. I had to change my number to a number where both numbers were the same. Wasn't easy though as Sprint had to look hard to find one.

hmmm...iffy...they released a bunch of firmware updates for the older phones though

plurseed
09-07-2005, 04:01 PM
not all the stores can do updates to make them wlnp compliant. and our case we dont support certain phones, so that means no data cables for those phones. even though our pst will have it on the menu. kind of sucks. want to talk about pissing off someone when we dont support there phone, when they buy it from another market.

Deval
09-07-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah sucks for the affiliate guys

freeza
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I have never been able to get AIM IM forwarding through SMS (through www.aim.com (http://www.aim.com/)) to work. The registration confirmation code will never come through to my phone. I've seen some posts on here that suggest this is the case for people who have ported their numbers to Sprint and therefore have an MSID different from their phone number (as I do).

at least i'm not alone...

plurseed
09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
It sure does. :indiff:

larry
09-07-2005, 04:56 PM
hmmm...iffy...they released a bunch of firmware updates for the older phones though

Yes they did but those updates didn't do their job because there were still problems. "The PCS number you have reached is temporarily not in service" is what people would get when they tried to call my A500 (which was supposed to be WLNP compliant after the software update). Turned out that having the MSID and MDN different was the cause of this problem. So I changed my number to one that had both the same.

Deval
09-07-2005, 11:41 PM
interesting...I've had a bunch of older A500s, and no one really had that issue here that I've come across

olsen469
09-07-2005, 11:46 PM
mines different, same with all the other phones on my account..

Deval
09-07-2005, 11:48 PM
yeah...its no biggie now-a-days

cryogenic
09-07-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm getting close to 2yrs with Sprint now and my phone number and MSID have always been different. I've never had any problems so far. I didn't even think of it as being any sort of big deal until I saw some people mention it. I've always just assumed that's the way it's supposed to be. :p

larry
09-08-2005, 02:29 AM
interesting...I've had a bunch of older A500s, and no one really had that issue here that I've come across

Yeah I saw it first hand on mine. I went from having an MSID and MDN the same to changing my number to a new number that had the MSID different. Calls wouldn't come in half the time and someone else was getting my voicemail and vice versa. It was a big mess and the tech support rep even admitted that WLNP was to blame for this. So she issued me a new number that had both the MSID and MDN the same and everything was fine after that. So that's proof right there.

Tamslee90
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Ok, this is the only place I found to post this, hopefully someone out there has a better answer than the CSRs I've spoken to. I received my e-mail that my bill was ready, opened it and it had $75.00 worth or data usage. Brief history, April 25 I went to the local Sprint store to add a new line to my account, added the line and got the rumor, when I got home that evening I wanted to swap the Rumor on phone # ending in 2844 to a number ending in 2844. So, I had the Rumor with 2844 and I wanted to swap it with a Katana ending in 0027. No problem, everything looked ok and the 0027 (now on the rumor) works fine. So, the over usage is on the katana (2844) which has been powered off since the day the numbers were swapped. When I contact Sprint they are adamant that the charges are correct but she can give me 50% credit and block web usage on that phone. I said "No, I'm disputing the whole amount" so, I continue to watch the usage, the 0027 has no web usage (which I use every day) and the 2844 shows more usage. For the last 3 days the usage has increased on the 2844, so I purposely opened the browser on 0027 and left it on for 20 minutes. Next day still no usage on the 0027 but more usage on the 2844. MYSTERY! So today I get a message that they gave me the full credit and blocked the web on that phone. When I called CS this evening to question them he can't tell me anymore than I already know. I've read all the posts about the # & the MSID being different, but what else could be causing this? If the MSID I have matches another number somewhere that is active could that be causing it? I appreciate the fact that they gave me the credit but with the usage increasing this billing period am I going to have to go through this again? Any Sprint Guru's out there have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tammy

BrettW
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
try updating your vision profile, it seems that the one phone is using the other phones vision information, usually updating the profile fixes that

normally that doenst happen, but with 1xrtt phones it can happen

there should be an option to update the profile in your settings menu.

the msid should not be the problem here.

Tamslee90
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you for your response, I finally got to Tech Support and he was very nice and let me explain it to him. He said he had no idea how it happened but he did have me update the profile. I also had them note the account because I refuse to pay for usage on a phone that was never used.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.