PDA

View Full Version : What is a PRL update?

KnappyRootz
07-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Could someone please tell me what a PRL update is, and also what I have to dial and do to get it?

Is it similar to dialing *228 from a Verizon Wireless phone?

And also, how often would you recommend it should be done?

KnappyRootz
07-16-2005, 09:23 PM
So I called Sprint and now have PRL Version 10028.

I'm still not really sure what it does, lol but I see thats the most recent version.

FloorMatt
07-16-2005, 10:34 PM
PRL - Preferred Roaming List

It gives your phone access to Sprint's romaing partners' towers. (when roaming)

KnappyRootz
07-16-2005, 11:09 PM
So I'm going to assume that it won't improve my non-roaming singnal at all? Correct-o?

FloorMatt
07-16-2005, 11:13 PM
So I'm going to assume that it won't improve my non-roaming singnal at all? Correct-o?

Pretty much! Now, others have mentioned that some Sprint tower info is included in PRL updates, asl well.....not sure about it.

KnappyRootz
07-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Lol, dammit! Think Sprint will offer OTA (over the air) updates anytime soon? I recently saw an article mentioning them and was wondering.

FloorMatt
07-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Lol, dammit! Think Sprint will offer OTA (over the air) updates anytime soon? I recently saw an article on it and was wondering.

If you mean Firmware OTA updates (because the PRL update can be done OTA)...

All the brand new LG phones (125/225/325/535) have that ability user-accessible.

KnappyRootz
07-16-2005, 11:27 PM
How about the Sanyo MM-5600?

FloorMatt
07-16-2005, 11:31 PM
How about the Sanyo MM-5600?

I don't believe that the end user can initiate an update...(although the phone could very well have FOTA capability.....I am unsure)

Deval
07-17-2005, 09:48 PM
there is no client initiated PRL update, though a simple flag in your account will update it when you call *2

EeZeEpEe
07-19-2005, 06:24 PM
So I called Sprint and now have PRL Version 10028.

I'm still not really sure what it does, lol but I see thats the most recent version.
I've gotten my account flagged for an update but still have PRL 10026. Anyone know why that would be? Do I Have to ask for 10028?

Deval
07-19-2005, 10:02 PM
I've gotten my account flagged for an update but still have PRL 10026. Anyone know why that would be? Do I Have to ask for 10028?
did you call *2 after it was flagged?

Steven
07-20-2005, 12:39 AM
I just got the 8300 and it has prl 10027. Was 10028 just released?

EeZeEpEe
07-20-2005, 03:01 AM
did you call *2 after it was flagged?
Yeah I did and it did the downloading and everything but my phone says 10026.

jbjtkbw00
07-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I just want to give some more information on PRL Updates for those people that just LOVE to rush out and get them. Hopefully, this will dispel myths:

PRL Myth vs.
PRL Reality

1. Updated PRL will fix manual roaming issues.

No. Manual roaming occurs when the customer is asked to enter a credit card to complete their call.

This is caused by the Roaming Network needing a table correction because it doesn't recognize the Sprint MSID. A trouble ticket must be created to resolve this.

2. The PRL needs to be updated so my phone can acquire the signal from new cell sites.

No. The PRL does not use individual cell sites as the driver for connecting with the network. New cell sites are normally integrated into each companies own network. Once the cell sites are active they function just like all other cell sites because they broadcast the same SID.

3. The PRL is only used to acquire roaming partner signals.

No. The PRL is used to acquire both the Sprint network and our roaming partner's network.

4. The PRL will fix a majority of roaming trouble issues for the Sprint PCS customers.

No. Many roaming troubles that affect customers are network related. It is very important to create a trouble ticket for any roaming related issue even if the customer has an outdated PRL.

FURTHERMORE:

A PRL will not help with:

Improve signal strength in Sprint or roaming areas
Quality issues (Echo, Static, Cross Talk, Audio Weak, etc.)
Blocked Calls
Dropped Calls
Coverage holes (No Service is available to make or receive calls)
Fast busy signals
Providing added features to a Sprint PCS phone (such as voicemail)
Voicemail issues
Wireless Web issues
Receiving a Sprint PCS error messages on outbound calls
Correcting misrouted calls when roaming
Receiving a credit card prompt while roaming

I hope this answers some questions for you guys.

Dan
07-23-2005, 06:46 PM
PRL Myth vs.
PRL Reality

1. Updated PRL will fix manual roaming issues.

No. Manual roaming occurs when the customer is asked to enter a credit card to complete their call.

This is caused by the Roaming Network needing a table correction because it doesn't recognize the Sprint MSID. A trouble ticket must be created to resolve this.

3. The PRL is only used to acquire roaming partner signals.

No. The PRL is used to acquire both the Sprint network and our roaming partner's network.

4. The PRL will fix a majority of roaming trouble issues for the Sprint PCS customers.

No. Many roaming troubles that affect customers are network related. It is very important to create a trouble ticket for any roaming related issue even if the customer has an outdated PRL.

FURTHERMORE:

A PRL will not help with:

Receiving a credit card prompt while roaming

I hope this answers some questions for you guys.

I have ran into the CC prompt thing when traveling and amazingly enough a PRL update solved the problem. perhaps sprint switched a roaming partner in the area and the old one was asking for CC info but the new one didnt ask?

Another trip I was only able to recieve analog roaming untill a PRL update was loaded. a person who travels often off the sprint network should inquire about the need for a PRL update before most trips. A simple email to eCare will get your lines flagged no problem.

Sadly some sprint reps and even eCare people have bad info at their centers as I was told very recently that 10026 was the latest PRL, when I had 10028 in my phone.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.