PDA

View Full Version : Transfer contacts - have Sprint do it or do it myself?

smittythepig
06-22-2005, 04:15 PM
I have 44 contacts in my phonebook. If you were me, would you...

a) Take the old and new phones to a Sprint store, possibly wait in line for up to an hour, ask them to transfer the contacts from the old to the new phone, then wait at least 2 hours to get the phones back, OR

b) enter the numbers yourself?

I guess I have a total of approximately 44 contacts and maybe 75 actual numbers. Just wondering what you all would do. I'm also concerned about them possibly scratching the new phone. But that's probably unlikely. It's possible that Sprint wouldn't take as long as 3 hours to do it. Then again, it could take longer. There was a 3 hour wait two days ago according to one of the guys that worked there.

a_c_s
06-22-2005, 04:19 PM
this is assuming you don't have bitpim, snapsync or the like, right? If the question is manual vs the store, go with the store...you can usually drop it off in the morning and just come back later or after work to pick it up...I've never had to wait around...

if you have time to kill and don't mind manual entry do it yourself...I've done a lot more numbers than 75 myself in the past, but hate it...

Carterism
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Store. Too many to do it manually.

smittythepig
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
yep. it would just be manual. i may try and call ahead to a slower volume store and see what the estimated wait would be. i usually enter them myself but thought i might actually have sprint do it this time. we'll see. i do hate reentering all my numbers, even if it's only 75 or so.

Ronkh
06-22-2005, 04:33 PM
store

i'm still finding #'s tht i transposed or screwed up somehow

macaddiict
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Ey Eight: Samsung-SPHA800 AU-MIC-A800/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Samsung-SPHA800 AU-MIC-A800/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

In the time it took you to make this thread and keep up with it, I bet you could have already done it manually. I waited 45 minutes in line in the Sprint store the other day just for them to tell me the machine was down. I ended up doing it myself and got 280 transferred manual while watching a rerun of Six Feet Under...

smittythepig
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Ey Eight: Samsung-SPHA800 AU-MIC-A800/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Samsung-SPHA800 AU-MIC-A800/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

In the time it took you to make this thread and keep up with it, I bet you could have already done it manually. I waited 45 minutes in line in the Sprint store the other day just for them to tell me the machine was down. I ended up doing it myself and got 280 transferred manual while watching a rerun of Six Feet Under...

WOW! 280? Did any of the buttons fall off?

You make a good point. I was at the Sprint store yesterday and waited about 30 minutes to ask if they could do the transfer when all of a sudden I overhear "No, ma'am, we don't have a tech working today. If you bring your phone back tomorrow we can have them do that for you." so i left.

i also left because some snotty girl did the thing where, though she put her name on the list at the front, she "just had one quick little question to ask" the rep who came up to the front. next thing you know, this girl who was at the bottom of a long list is getting helped and I, who was next in line and about 6 people ahead of her, is still sitting there waiting.

which is why those lists are stupid. half the people who come in to the store still don't even know they are supposed to put their name on the list. and the other half do everything in their power to get helped before their name is called.

HiTEC
06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I'd get the cable and use Bitpim to do it myself. I always get a cable when I get a new phone. If you went LG to LG you could maybe use the same cable for new and old phone, and Bitpim software is free. Why depend on the store when all you need to buy is a cable?

smittythepig
06-22-2005, 05:07 PM
i'd rather not spend $25 or $30. i've used snapsync before but not bitpim. where would i find the cable? radioshack? is bitpim available for this phone? it is an LG to LG.

sneak
06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
.. 75 numbers? Thats it? I can't believe you even had to ask. 75? Easy!

I had to manually transfer phone numbers from my a500 to my 8100, my 8200 to my v551 and my a670, and I have around 200 contacts.

75? LOL, sorry, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it on my own. Why wait in line for something that should take no longer than 30 minutes MAX?

smittythepig
06-22-2005, 05:22 PM
.. 75 numbers? Thats it? I can't believe you even had to ask. 75? Easy!

I had to manually transfer phone numbers from my a500 to my 8100, my 8200 to my v551 and my a670, and I have around 200 contacts.

75? LOL, sorry, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it on my own. Why wait in line for something that should take no longer than 30 minutes MAX?

i agree that 75 is nothing compared to most people, or at least most people on this forum. plus, i usually end up sort of "cleaning house" while entering the numbers and not transferring several of them that are outdated or that i don't need for one reason or another. i'm just lazy as hell :lol:

macaddiict
06-22-2005, 11:46 PM
LOL... Glad to see you admit it. I really didn't want to transfer all of mine manually because I'm a lazy bum, but it always ends up pissing me off to go into a store here (they're Alamosa PCS... and never have enough people to help... the corporate stores near where I go to college are 1,000 times better). So after going in once and waiting in line I decided to just do it myself.

Hey I'd love to know what you think about the LG 125 after a little use... all my lines are up for a new phone and I was thinking it would be good for my mom (replacing her A620).

a_c_s
06-23-2005, 08:25 AM
As another poster stated, the store helps you avoid transposing errors if nothing else...

Deval
06-24-2005, 10:43 PM
thats not too bad...I got like 300+ numbers...I made sure to back up my phonebook every week...just in case...it comes in handy being a tech and having access to the software and cables

Sprint_Gold
06-25-2005, 03:14 AM
I'd just use Voice Command, a lot easier, also great if you damage or loose your phone.
:)

NaughtyPine
06-25-2005, 03:21 AM
I'd just use Voice Command, a lot easier, also great if you damage or loose your phone.
:)
:clap:

Yay for VC.

jdawg34
11-22-2006, 06:34 PM
I need to transfer contacts from a Samsung A840 to the A900 and I have the cable but I don't know what the bitpim is and how to start?

Any help

Thanks

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.