PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to connect my fax machine to my cell and fax that way?

BoSox2004Champs
12-31-2004, 01:44 PM
I have an all-in-one fax machine and a cell phone but no home phone line.

My question is:

IS there a way to connect my fax machine to my cell and fax that way?

I searched the forum before I posted.

upperking
12-31-2004, 02:10 PM
yeah by using efax.com

BoSox2004Champs
12-31-2004, 02:40 PM
yeah by using efax.com

I am aware of efax.

What i ws looking for was some sort of dongle that i can connect from my fax machine to my cell.

Jaggrey
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
You can hook up some of the cell phones to your computer and fax, but I think you get charged 39 cents / min.

monkeyboy
12-31-2004, 03:32 PM
You can hook up some of the cell phones to your computer and fax, but I think you get charged 39 cents / min.
I don't believe this is true, at least for phones that are CDMA 2G or newer (that is any digital phone on Sprint or Verizon within the past 5 years). What you might mean is that CDMA 2G phones (but not newer Vision phones) did have a feature whereby they could emulate a Hayes-type analog modem, which included handling not only data calls to other analog modems but also operation as a fax modem. However that facility would not permit the use of an external modem (e.g. an external fax machine) to dial out, it would only emulate a fax modem itself (the actual modem function is handled at the Sprint office, not within the phone -- the phone only passes digital data).

Or perhaps you are refering to old analog-only phones which I believe did have to ability, with the correct cabling and service, to handle analog modem calls (but not with Sprint).

An alternative that you may wish to research is that elsewhere in the forum there has been discussion of a "hub" device that Sprint is test marketing that emulates a landline and may be able to handle fax calls. It would be like buying another phone and Sprint line (AAP) onto your plan, but the hub device presents as an analog (POTS) line that works with standard POTS phones and presumably other analog devices (modems, fax machines). It would be the wireless CDMA equivalent of those VOIP boxes that attach to your broadband Internet service and presents a POTS interface (e.g. Vonage, Time-Warner, AT&T, etc offer this service).

The short answer is: No, it ain't gonna be that simple...

upperking
12-31-2004, 04:17 PM
just get a smartphone and use efax and when you get a fax back use bluetooth to print the fax to your printer

Jaggrey
12-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't believe this is true, at least for phones that are CDMA 2G or newer (that is any digital phone on Sprint or Verizon within the past 5 years). What you might mean is that CDMA 2G phones (but not newer Vision phones) did have a feature whereby they could emulate a Hayes-type analog modem, which included handling not only data calls to other analog modems but also operation as a fax modem. However that facility would not permit the use of an external modem (e.g. an external fax machine) to dial out, it would only emulate a fax modem itself (the actual modem function is handled at the Sprint office, not within the phone -- the phone only passes digital data).

Or perhaps you are refering to old analog-only phones which I believe did have to ability, with the correct cabling and service, to handle analog modem calls (but not with Sprint).

An alternative that you may wish to research is that elsewhere in the forum there has been discussion of a "hub" device that Sprint is test marketing that emulates a landline and may be able to handle fax calls. It would be like buying another phone and Sprint line (AAP) onto your plan, but the hub device presents as an analog (POTS) line that works with standard POTS phones and presumably other analog devices (modems, fax machines). It would be the wireless CDMA equivalent of those VOIP boxes that attach to your broadband Internet service and presents a POTS interface (e.g. Vonage, Time-Warner, AT&T, etc offer this service).

The short answer is: No, it ain't gonna be that simple...I meant hooking up the cell phone to the computer then faxing from there, but I understand what u mean.

Orbitz
12-31-2004, 07:08 PM
This may also do whay you want.

http://www.phonelabs.com/

monkeyboy
01-01-2005, 12:09 AM
This may also do whay you want.

http://www.phonelabs.com/

No... per their FAQ:
---
20. Does Dock-N-Talk work with modems, fax machines, security systems, credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems?

Digital voice networks do not support modem or fax tones. Older analog service will allow use of modems at very low speeds and fax. The Dock-N-Talk will work with certain devices that use DTMF to transmit information such as various makes of security alarm systems. Certain credit card readers, Tivo, Direct TV or other satellite TV systems will only work if your cell phone supports an analog service or communicates using DTMF.
---

Also I didn't see very many if any Sprint phones listed on their compatibility list.

Here is the pointer to the thread about the Sprint "Home Hub":

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54473

And a snippet from the press release:
---
Telular Corporation (NASDAQ: WRLS) today announced a market trial of a custom version of Telular's Phonecell® SX5T CDMA2000® 1X fixed wireless terminal. Two thousand units of the new product are being marketed by Sprint in five cities. The product connects existing wireline telephones, fax machines and analog modems to the cellular network, and features high voice quality and E-911 compliance.
The Phonecell® SX5T terminal allows homeowners to take advantage of using wireless service instead of landline service in the home. A consumer simply plugs the Phonecell® SX5T terminal into an ordinary home phone jack to enable devices connected to the same phone line to work through the wireless network. The Phonecell® SX5T terminal connects not only to ordinary telephones, but also to other devices, such as fax machines and the dial-out port of satellite television receivers and digital video recorders. The terminal is designed to be self-installed by the homeowner.

The Phonecell® SX5T terminal features Telular's patented RJ-11 interface that emulates the local phone company, providing dial tone and services such as Caller ID, Call Waiting and Call Hold. The new product includes GPSOne® positioning technology for E-911 Phase 2 compliance as well as TDD/TTY for the hearing and speech impaired.

The Phonecell® terminal will be available during the market trial through Sprint wireless retail stores in selected markets, including Charlotte, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Richmond and San Antonio.
---

thunderxls
01-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Re: Telular's Phonecell® SX5T CDMA2000® 1X fixed wireless terminal.

I made a phone call to my local Sprint PCS store, and was told that they are a store stock item (Minneapolis market - Maple Grove store), they retail for about $99.99, if you check out the website, it is really neat what you can do with them.

http://www.telular.com/products/product_display.asp?productID=75

Halo2Proz
01-01-2005, 01:43 PM
well basically no. the 3G phones cant emulate the 2G tones needed for fax service. I know on my old LG5250 I was able to fax.

Orbitz
01-01-2005, 04:26 PM

I made a phone call to my local Sprint PCS store, and was told that they are a store stock item (Minneapolis market - Maple Grove store), they retail for about $99.99, if you check out the website, it is really neat what you can do with them.

http://www.telular.com/products/product_display.asp?productID=75

I have to admit...that is pretty dam cool. It looks like it will do the same thing as the Doc n Talk http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp with the added benefit that you don't need to have your cell phone "docked" to it?

monkeyboy
01-01-2005, 06:19 PM
I have to admit...that is pretty dam cool. It looks like it will do the same thing as the Doc n Talk http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp with the added benefit that you don't need to have your cell phone "docked" to it?No, per above. Doc n Talk will NOT handle FAX machine or other applications/devices with signals similar to analog modems -- the whole point that started this thread.

As far as the "added benefit", some will see the difference as a benefit while others a drawback. Doc n Talk allows you to maintain only one cell phone "line" (number, etc), while the Sprint hub exists as its own line/number, i.e. you will be paying for it as a separate line like in shared plan. It is basically itself an entire cell phone that can interface POTS devices. Doc n Talk is not a cell phone-equivalent, but merely an interface between POTS phones and SOME cell phones (but not all, creating the interface/hooks into each cell phone's interworkings must be a huge hassle).

well basically no. the 3G phones cant emulate the 2G tones needed for fax service. I know on my old LG5250 I was able to fax.
Again, yes, 2G-capable phones could emulate fax modems, BUT they could NOT be interfaced to standalone fax machines (i.e. present an RJ-11 POTS analog phone interface that could successfully allow a fax machine to operate) -- again the original point of the whole thread...

I made a phone call to my local Sprint PCS store, and was told that they are a store stock item (Minneapolis market - Maple Grove store), they retail for about $99.99, if you check out the website, it is really neat what you can do with them.I'm curious... is that $99.99 price "with signing up for a 1-2 year agreement for a new line" ? That is, does Sprint so-treat that hub/terminal like a cell phone that all the usual new line pricing applies ?

The Doc n Talk is full priced at $140. I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that the Telular's Phonecell is a $400-500 device, which stands to reason since it is a full-fledged cell phone equivalent. Hence my question about the $99.99 pricing...

Orbitz
01-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Monkeyboy,

Thanks for the clarification...I definately didn't understand you needed a separate line basically as opposed to it somehow plugging into and existing line...I agree tho...some may find it a good alternative to a landline I guess. If it is $99 that isn't too bad of a deal (imo) but that seems pretty cheap for that device. $249 with $150 for a new activiation / 2 year contract seems more likely considering the prices of other "phones". Very cool to see where technology is heading in this area :)

Bye the way...I did talk to the Doc n Talk guys and the 325 is supported. Didn't ask about any other Sprint models.

Orbitz
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Actually, I just remembered...the Doc n Talk guy did say they supported other Sprint phones via cable...didn't mention what models tho he did say that the limitation was whether there was a cable for it or not currently.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.