PDA

View Full Version : Sprint phone with Virgin Mobile service?

jerry814
12-02-2004, 08:42 PM
hi ... i've been thinking about getting my stepdad a cell phone for christmas. he needs one, but he hates phones, so i don't want to pay too much for it. i have a couple of old sprint phones, and know that virgin mobile prepaid uses the sprint network. i've found forums elsewhere that say you can't use a virgin phone on a sprint contract. but i haven't been able to find out if i can activate a sprint phone with virgin's service.

does anyone know for sure? many thanks.

Fubar101
12-02-2004, 10:23 PM
You can only use virgin mobile phones as the prepaid phones. They will not allow you to activate the phone with virgin mobile as virgin mobile is only allowed to activate esn's in the range that they are assigned.

worker4youth
12-02-2004, 11:16 PM
You can get a VM phone for as low as $40, or in some cases, it's free.

jerry814
12-03-2004, 12:37 AM
cool ... thanks to both of you for the help

*EDIT* in what cases is it free?

kehanra
12-03-2004, 12:57 AM
If you contact a certain part of CS, and no, it's not retention, you can use pre-paid phones on Sprint contracts...so long as they ran off Sprint networks previously...they can register ESNs of pre-paid phones. It's a 24-hour process, but it can be done.

Matt
12-03-2004, 12:58 AM
If you contact a certain part of CS, and no, it's not retention, you can use pre-paid phones on Sprint contracts...so long as they ran off Sprint networks previously...they can register ESNs of pre-paid phones. It's a 24-hour process, but it can be done.
and what part of CS would that be?

jerry814
12-03-2004, 01:48 AM
but would that help me use a sprint phone on virgin mobile? because i already have the sprint phone, not the prepaid.

jerry814
12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
anybody know any more about this? kehanra's quote "you can use pre-paid phones on Sprint contracts...so long as they ran off Sprint networks previously...they can register ESNs of pre-paid phones." may be talking about re-registering a pre-paid phone on sprint's networks, but that would seem to imply that the middle step--having a sprint phone on the virgin network--would work too. anyone every try this?

Ted
12-06-2004, 11:15 AM
AFAIK you can't use anything but sprint branded phones on sprint and virgin branded phones on virgin. There may be a way around this but I haven't found out about it. I would be interested to know the answer as well, if there is a way to do it.

Marlon_JB2
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
This could be huge if you could. Image using your brand spanking new Treo 650 on Virgin Mobile! :)

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.