PDA

View Full Version : telling ESN number

coelacanth
11-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi all. I need your advice here. I got treo650 and selling my old A680 on ebay. I got a question from a buyer, asking the ESN number of the phone. I know maybe the guy want to make sure the phone is not stolen one. But is it totally safe telling ESN to somebody? Thanks for your input!

kccasey
11-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi all. I need your advice here. I got treo650 and selling my old A680 on ebay. I got a question from a buyer, asking the ESN number of the phone. I know maybe the guy want to make sure the phone is not stolen one. But is it totally safe telling ESN to somebody? Thanks for your input!

It is perfectly safe to give out the ESN Number on eBay. Many years ago it was not very safe, cause someon that knew what they were doing would be able to clone the ESN onto another Handset. but it is virtually impossible with CDMA Technology. No body can do anythign with the ESN other than check it for theft or validity with sprintpcs. In future it would be smart to put the ESN Number right in the Listing on eBay or better yet just edit the Listing now and include it in there.

coelacanth
11-18-2004, 08:22 PM
kccasey,

Wow! Thank you so much for the information. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

NoClones
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
No no no no no... Don't provide the ESN to anyone. Even if they don't have the phone they can activate that ESN on their account. Report it lost/stolen or anything else, then that phone is useless !

coelacanth
11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
ahh. now I don't know what to do. I haven't sent the number yet, (I'm out with my new treo and A680 is sitting on my desk at home)

Maybe I should just tell the guy what NoClones wrote... But then he can't make sure that the phone I'm listing is activateable for sure. huum.

Jer1
11-18-2004, 09:26 PM
No no no no no... Don't provide the ESN to anyone. Even if they don't have the phone they can activate that ESN on their account. Report it lost/stolen or anything else, then that phone is useless !

thats not right
only the ACCOUNT holder can report the phone lost
and to activate the phone you do nee to have the phone

coelacanth
11-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Does anybody have any idea to proof that the phone is clean, other than telling the ESN #?

Deval
11-18-2004, 09:31 PM
well how about this...keep your a680 active till after you make the sale and get the money, and then send it

NoClones
11-18-2004, 09:53 PM
What I said is 100% true. Give me your ESN then, I'll activate it on my account and prove it to you ! LoL

NoClones
11-18-2004, 09:54 PM
thats not right
only the ACCOUNT holder can report the phone lost
and to activate the phone you do nee to have the phone

If they give me the ESN, I put that ESN on my account. Then obviously I'm the account holder and can report the phone lost/stolen etc.

Quill
11-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I've sold three phones this year and happily provided the ESN each time. The buyer is only trying to protect himself from getting screwed.
Wait until you get your new phone (if you haven't gotten it already) then provide the ESN. If it's not tied to your account, they can't screw you, either.
Additionally, check the bidder's feedback. If the bidder is shady, don't provide the ESN.
Personally, when I have purchased phones online, I like to have photos of the actual phone being sold and the ESN. If a seller won't provide that, then I'm not inclined to make the purchase.

nicki27
11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
i know from my experience i have been interested in buying a phone but if the seller will not provide the esn my first thought is there is either a balence on the phone still or the phone was stolen and either way its of no use to me if you are wary about giving the esn number how bout a money back guarantee to the buyer if for some reason the phone coulnt be activated?

coelacanth
11-18-2004, 10:40 PM
guys, thank you for your inputs.

I already activated my new treo 650, so anybody can't screw my account, but if somebody reports A680 stolen/lost, the phone will be useless and I can't sell it anymore.

this is the listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732897625&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

The guy who's asking the ESN # has only 1 positive feedback (no negative) huumm. I think he is just concerning about the condition of the phone. But if he is trying to do something evil, I'll lost near $200 worth phone.

SL10
11-18-2004, 11:52 PM
guys, thank you for your inputs.

I already activated my new treo 650, so anybody can't screw my account, but if somebody reports A680 stolen/lost, the phone will be useless and I can't sell it anymore.

this is the listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5732897625&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

The guy who's asking the ESN # has only 1 positive feedback (no negative) huumm. I think he is just concerning about the condition of the phone. But if he is trying to do something evil, I'll lost near $200 worth phone.
Just give the high bidder the ESN and that would do. I just bought a nokia off ebay, the seller emailed me the ESN and all was well. Btw, I received my 6016i today and had no problems with the sale. Fair advice is the higher the buyer's positive feedback the better.

kccasey
11-20-2004, 02:10 PM
So Tell me, have you ever been screwed with like that? Also, someone cannot put ANY ESN on their AC especially if it is already activated on someone elses ac. Also I would like to know of anybody that something like that has happened. As far as having people request the ESN and then screening them by their Feedback is also a nice thing to do as well. I've wanted to purchase a few phones off of people on ebay before and was given a hardtime about giving out the ESN before. I essentially didn't by from them. Once, when one auction was drawing to a close the Seller finally caved and decided to provided the ESn to me. I told him that I was not interested anymore. Cause if he gave me that much hell in the 1st place, how do I know that it won't be like hell to receive my item? Plus, also when the auction is drawing to a close on the last couple of minutes wouldn't be enough time to call the cell carrier to verify a good ESN.

bitey
11-20-2004, 02:19 PM
The last time that I bought a phone from eBay, I emailed the seller and asked him if he would email me the ESN if I won the auction BEFORE I paid with the understanding that I would only pay IF the ESN was good to activate. He said sure and was good to his word. He sent the ESN after I won, I checked it and paid, I got the phone, and we activated it. No problem. Email the potential buyer and tell him that you will send him the ESN IF he wins with the understanding that he does not have to pay unless the ESN is good. On other auctions, I have seen sellers say that they will provide the ESN to the winner before the winner pays. That seems to assure people.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.