PDA

View Full Version : Is there an application for Microsoft Outlook for Cell Phones ?

Storino03
11-03-2004, 06:52 PM
For normal cell phones (not PPC or PDA-style) ? It would be much better to get notifications or emails on my phone in real-time. I guess it would be much easier and more suitable on a Pocket-PC or something similar...-_-

Reason being, so I get important emails from other staff members at my job, when I'm not physically "at" the location.

beg4mercy
11-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Technically it's not microsoft outlook, but I had the same problem as you for a while, and checked up on it. I went to midlet.org (the java midlet HQ of the world) and picked up EmailViewer, a full featured e-mail client for the cell phone, and it's never done me wrong yet. It doesn't notify you per-se, but It more or less allows you to check the mail manually, and you can read it and reply and such. It's lacking the ablity to override all of your currently active tasks and give you with a e-mail notification (I suppose that's a technology thing someone else could tell you about) But it's fine with me. Go to midlet.org and click on internet on their sidebar, and e-mail clients, and it's the first one. Try it out, and If it's not what you want, let me know, cuz I know a java programmer that MIGHT be able to hook you up-

-peace
- Black Panda

mcurtiss1970
11-03-2004, 06:59 PM
you need a phone with POP mail compatibility. Not sure which ones out there have it, but my SE does.

Deval
11-03-2004, 07:12 PM
The Hitachi P300 had it...that was it....the smart phones have it

ISG
11-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I use Microsoft Outlook. Sprint has a product called Sprint PCS Business Connection. There are two versions, Personal and Enterprise. They charge a few bucks for service, and it takes a bit to set up. But it is very handy. There is a program that you run on your PC when you are away. It accesses your mail file and can even be set up to notify you when new messages arrive via text message. I use it whenever I am expecting an important message and need to be away from the desk. You can even view and reply to messages from your handset. If I recall, there are settings for either Microsoft Exchange Server or Lotus Domino Server or Standard IMAP server.

Storino03
11-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Would it just be easier to get a PDA/Pocket PC then ? :)

Deval
11-04-2004, 12:39 PM
not on the wallet bro

chocbar31
11-04-2004, 01:15 PM
For normal cell phones (not PPC or PDA-style) ? It would be much better to get notifications or emails on my phone in real-time. I guess it would be much easier and more suitable on a Pocket-PC or something similar...-_-

Reason being, so I get important emails from other staff members at my job, when I'm not physically "at" the location.

Why not just create a new rule in Outlook to forward the email to your phone? (number@messaging.sprintpcs.com) I use it all the time at work. I work for a job that has me on the road a lot, however, when my boss has a question I can respond by email if I choose too. However, if your organization does not use Exchange Server, then Outlook on your work computer has to have Outlook running before it can forward the message.

I take it you have internet access, just reply to the email and add the other employee to the recipient list (Manually) or just send a manual reply. For me though...all I need is the original email, and then turn to my laptop to respond. kind of like those crappy Express McDonalds stores...all they have is three kinds of burgers, fries and soda it seems! No milkshakes, ice cream, apple pies...etc!

lauch
11-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Why not just create a new rule in Outlook to forward the email to your phone? (number@messaging.sprintpcs.com) I use it all the time at work. I work for a job that has me on the road a lot, however, when my boss has a question I can respond by email if I choose too. However, if your organization does not use Exchange Server, then Outlook on your work computer has to have Outlook running before it can forward the message.

I take it you have internet access, just reply to the email and add the other employee to the recipient list (Manually) or just send a manual reply. For me though...all I need is the original email, and then turn to my laptop to respond. kind of like those crappy Express McDonalds stores...all they have is three kinds of burgers, fries and soda it seems! No milkshakes, ice cream, apple pies...etc!

That's a great suggestion. For those of you who have a yahoo email account, you can use YahooPOPs (search for it on google) to get your emails into Outlook and then use the rules to forward those emails to your phone.... :D

Great idea...:)

djfreake
11-05-2004, 11:10 AM
ok im not sure if anyone knows this but im sure you do but through yahoo's portal on your handset you can check external pop3 mail...just go to yahoo and set up external info...it makes checking your pop3 mail as easy as checking your yahoo mail

djfreake
11-05-2004, 11:15 AM
oops didnt see the other post...

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.