PDA

View Full Version : Force roaming mode?

Burrito75
10-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Is there any way to force the 8100 into a certain roaming mode: ie. analog, 800 or 1900?

truckinusa
10-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (UPG1 UP/4.0 (compatible; Blazer 1.0))

Thats is controlled by the PRL. Some people have made custom PRLs, but I'm clueless on that.

lcyals
10-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Menu>Settings>Roaming>Analog (I have an 8100, so I know that this is how it's done :cool: )

DcDave63
10-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Most phones give you the choice of Sprint PCS, digital (for digital roaming) or Analog (for analog roaming). Some Phones also give the choice of Automatic, which chooses based on the PRL (Preferred Roam List) of which towers to link to, based on Sprints negotiated contracts with other telecom vendors. Once you have decided which mode (SPCS, digital, analog or auto) then the PRL is used on the phone to search for the nearest tower to connect with.

Burrito75
10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Most phones give you the choice of Sprint PCS, digital (for digital roaming) or Analog (for analog roaming). Some Phones also give the choice of Automatic, which chooses based on the PRL (Preferred Roam List) of which towers to link to, based on Sprints negotiated contracts with other telecom vendors. Once you have decided which mode (SPCS, digital, analog or auto) then the PRL is used on the phone to search for the nearest tower to connect with.

My friend gets great service at his house with verizon and i sometimes can't get any. I wondered if I could force my phone to either use the 1900 or 800 band like you can do on the lg verizon phones. Then maybe it would have to work off of his tower.

DcDave63
10-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Other than finding someone who has the technical knowledge and experience to change or alter your PRL, the only real way to effect it is :

Setting the Sanyo 8100's Roam Mode:

Your PCS Phone allows you to control your ability to roam. By using the Roaming menu option, you can determine which signals your phone accepts.

Set Mode

Choose from three different settings on your dual band/tri mode
phone to control your roaming experience:

1. Press to access the main menu.
2. Highlight Settings and press .
3. Highlight Roaming and press .
4. Highlight Set Mode and press .
5. To select an option, select it and press .

Sprint: This setting allows you to access the enhanced Sprint
Nationwide PCS Network only and prevents roaming on other
networks.

Automatic: This setting seeks PCS Service. When PCS Service is
unavailable, the phone searches for an alternate system.

Analog: This setting forces the phone to seek an analog
roaming system. The previous setting (Sprint or Automatic) is
restored the next time the phone is turned on.

winger
10-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Most phones give you the choice of Sprint PCS, digital (for digital roaming) or Analog (for analog roaming). ...
correction. Out of the box by default, all (at least all I think) Sprint phones capable of roamin only give you three modes: SprintPCS Only, Automatic, and Analog Roaming. The golden grail (spelling?) of Digital Roaming only is NOT achievable by the standard user interface. If there is a hack, many of us (me included) would gladly PayPal the hacker !!!

Burrito75
10-29-2004, 07:30 PM
That's what I was wondering...you can do it on the LG verizon phones.

SyntheticXtasy
11-05-2004, 11:27 AM
personally, i would like to know how to reprogram the PRL myself...

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.