PDA

View Full Version : GPS Location - Can someone track me on my phone

AaronBoy
09-27-2004, 05:07 PM
I have an issue with an ex and I think they are finding me using the location of my cell phone.

I use a Samsung N400 and until today had the Location setting turned ON.

In the last week the person that I do not want to see has tracked me down three different times. Just yesterday I was over 100 miles from home camping and they found me.

Before I left about 5 people knew what city I was going but none of them knew what campground or that I was 10 miles from town. So I know the person looking for me could not have found unless they are using my car or cell phone to track me.

Any suggestions or articles on how this feature works will be appreciated.

dbsynergy
09-27-2004, 05:44 PM
As far as I know, the GPS can only be used when you make 911 calls. Sounds scarry tho.

DcDave63
09-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Its extremely unlikely without doing something illegal through Sprints network ( which is not accessible to the public, or in use at this point ), or with some sophisticated equipment, which is also illegal. Not that its not possible, just highly improbable.

Riva
09-27-2004, 05:52 PM
I was told only the police can use it. If it were connected to Sprint's road service, link Onstar, I would consider adding their road service to my plan.

skrubol
09-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, even the police are lucky if it works.
The chances of someone putting a bug/tracking device on your car are much better than being able to track you by your phone.

temna
09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I called SprintPCS and had them call and track my wife's location when she got lost coming home from Canada. You can be tracked. It's very easy. Just call and say you are related. Try it..

PS: You do NOT have to have location turned on. They just look at where the last call came from. =)

DcDave63
09-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Well, if someone is calling and making excuses of an emergency nature, I am sure that it isn't legal. Sorta like calling the police for a crime that never happened. They arrest the person making the crack calls.

Not real smart.

tim.s
09-28-2004, 09:08 PM
From what I've heard, Sprint has never really developed the location services.

Someone calling e911 to have you tracked would fall into the "filing false report" crime and be risky on their part.

You don't have LoJack do you?

LoanShark
09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
I know you want to believe that your phone is responsible, but I would guarantee that it's not that complicated. I have had similar situations occurr where I thought the only way the person could have found me was by either tapping my phone or using GPS tracking, but honestly there are other possiblities.

1. random bizarre coincidence. I ran into an ex-girlfriend in a tiny town in another state the other day and I wondered if she stalking me and I'm sure she thought the same thing, but random events happen.

2. someone you know told her. Think of every person who knew where you were, anyone you called at the last second or told. Someone may have divulged the info even if you believe there is no way they could have. Sometimes best friends and family members have auxillary motivations like seeing you back together.

3. maybe you were followed. Did you share bank accounts and make any charges that could have been traced by calling into the bank? It's easy to trick bank and phone employees into divulging private information with a sob story.

FlameOut
10-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Could be she is tracking your vehicle using hidden GPS. Maybe something like this http://www.vehicle-tracking.com/ or http://www.teenarrivealive.com/

Sandiegodude
10-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Vm 4050: VM4050/132.037 UP.Browser/6.2.2.4.e.1.100 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

This sounds like another crazy ex story with one of your mutual friends trying to get you back together. Think about it. Girls don't use technology like that usually. Either way.. STAY AWAY! or better yet- have some fun and mail your phone to a friend in another state!

Draggar
10-05-2004, 05:50 AM
I called SprintPCS and had them call and track my wife's location when she got lost coming home from Canada. You can be tracked. It's very easy. Just call and say you are related. Try it..

PS: You do NOT have to have location turned on. They just look at where the last call came from. =)

That's because when your wife makes a call, the system records what "area" (System ID) the call was made in. They'll know she was in New York, or Chicago, or Miami, but that is as specific as they can get. Any celphone with any provider (regardless of GPS) will do this.

The GPS right now is for E911 applications, but the 911 call center has to have the software installed to be able to use it, some do, some don't (as far as I know, there is no "offical" list available).

Draggar
10-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, if someone is calling and making excuses of an emergency nature, I am sure that it isn't legal. Sorta like calling the police for a crime that never happened. They arrest the person making the crack calls.

Not real smart.

But you can call 911 and just ask the person if their call center is e911 compliant (I wouldn't recommend it, I'd suggest calling your local police non-emergency number).

chocbar31
10-06-2004, 05:38 PM
That's because when your wife makes a call, the system records what "area" (System ID) the call was made in. They'll know she was in New York, or Chicago, or Miami, but that is as specific as they can get. Any celphone with any provider (regardless of GPS) will do this.

The GPS right now is for E911 applications, but the 911 call center has to have the software installed to be able to use it, some do, some don't (as far as I know, there is no "offical" list available).

I was in the military and used GPS devices quite a bit. I know the power of the system. Bush can launch a "smart-missle" from 200 miles out and kill you, if he thought you were a terrorist. Just because you have a cell phone....hehehe! Ok, maybe congress keeps this one under raps, strickly under the privacy laws (Protecting us from poeple like that)

Anyways, go to the following link for the GPS phones, which I don't have one. I wished Sprint had this service. Especially for the knuckle-headed BAE-BAE-acting type kids...LOL

http://www.ulocate.com/

How do you think your phone knows how to switch from home coverage to roaming - set the correct date and time - deny you service if you have not paid your bill. That phone in your hand or pocket does a lot more behind the scenes than you aware of dude. Signals...digital signals don't die...they multiply! Then the Aliens get them and use them as their form entertaining radio channels.

Seriously, if the FCC can triangulate on a boot-leg radio station, pushing analog signals and slap everyone in jail; Bet your butt you can certainly be found on a digital broadcast.

Privacy laws protect us from being found at the will of the police, unless of course it's Interpol or Emergency services (which at that point it's already justified)

Course don't take my word for it!!! Just go to the nearest airport and attempt something idiotic like a threat....tell us how long it takes for the FEDS to locate you using triangulation, and throw you up-under the prison!

choc

Tygon
10-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (Vm 4050: VM4050/132.037 UP.Browser/6.2.2.4.e.1.100 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

This sounds like another crazy ex story with one of your mutual friends trying to get you back together. Think about it. Girls don't use technology like that usually. Either way.. STAY AWAY! or better yet- have some fun and mail your phone to a friend in another state!

First off, who ever said it was a girl? Gender of said 'stalker' was ~never~ specified in the original post.

And yes, you can be tracked... REGARDLESS of the GPS, but to my knowledge only the carrier can do this, i.e. Sprint. So IF they are using your phone to track you, they would have to be calling up sprint and feeding them some line about why they need to find you.

At any given time that your phone is on it is, intermitantly sending and recieving signals, checking for the strongest tower in the vacinity, checking for incoming calls, messages, etc. etc.

I had a friend that was a data processor for Verizon... and he basically sorted through and made sense of the information coming in from the towers. It was explained to me... much like chocbar just mentioned, that by sending a query out on your phone, by the use of the information from the 3 nearest towers to you, that they could triangulate your location down to which block on which city you're in... and even, which side of the street you're on.

but again... im pretty sure they'd have to be contacting the company. Unles they are an ex-military telcom expert... but yah, definately skurry!

GoRams08
10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
ever heard of ATT's mMode Find Friends feature. That doesn't use GPS and I can testify that it works with like 99.99999% accuracy. But of course the chance of the two of them having this activated (Given that this is a sprint site and all) is pretty slim

iLoveSprintPCS
11-22-2004, 08:19 PM
I was told the GPS was not up and running yet. That it will be ready soon, but not now. So no one can track you using the GPS chip in your phone.

Kimmy

topher694
11-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Anyways, go to the following link for the GPS phones, which I don't have one. I wished Sprint had this service. Especially for the knuckle-headed BAE-BAE-acting type kids...LOL

Actually you do have a GPS phone, in fact every single phone sprint has sold since before Vision was launched has been a GPS phone. They just don't work the way traditional GPS devices do (the phones in your link are the acceptions that do). It's kinda weird, but in order for the phone to get the the GPS location it has to be queried and assisted by an outside source (i.e. 911 PSAP) it's called assisted GPS or AGPS.

How do you think your phone knows how to switch from home coverage to roaming - set the correct date and time - deny you service if you have not paid your bill. That phone in your hand or pocket does a lot more behind the scenes than you aware of dude. Signals...digital signals don't die...they multiply! Then the Aliens get them and use them as their form entertaining radio channels.

All of that stuff except for the date and time are not done by the phone or by GPS but by the basestation and the BSC (basestation controller). There are many different factors used but the main one simply signal strength.

The date and time are done by GPS but not GPS in the phone but by the a GPS reciever at the basestation which is then sent to the phone (that is why you don't have a date and time on some phones when you are in analog roam). In fact much of the network's timing is done by GPS.

Sprint employees cannot get the GPS data from the phone especially CSRs. Only the police can right now (in fact to test E911 we had to call 911 and ask them if it was working). If you called *2 and got a phone location it would be from the site location of the last call as someone mentioned. Sites can cover a fairly large area though and would not be able to pinpoint your exact location (but I suppose it could be deduced if you know the person well enough)

Triagulation is possible but only by engineers that have direct access to specific raw data and even then it is EXTREAMLY difficult to do. At least in the sense that it would have to be planned ahead of time and require going through massive amounts of data. There are location systems that do this automatically, but because Sprint uses GPS they don't have these systems.

SamsungMan
11-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Yep thats right, triangulation is possible and isnt that difficult to those that have the experience, but not that accurate compared to gps, within 100 yrds or so. GPS IS active on the Sprint network, but only actively in e911 enabled CSAs and only when you dial 911. Sprints Commercial Location Based Services are in testing currently and should be available for commercial apps sometime in 2005 but it will be opt-in service only. In other words you can only be found if you want to.
Also Whereify (www.wherify.com) has been operating on Sprints network for over a year now, it works pretty similarly to e911. Expect to see more of these publicly accessible services soon.

plurseed
12-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Gps for emergencies is not in every state or cities yet (most states and cities donít have it.). Unless you are in a major city (L.A., New York, Etc.). Just turn it off to save your battery life, but 911 and gov agents can still use it to locate you. Also In your phone you can change the settings for gps, which is if you know the code to get in and your msl to program. The settings are mainly for gov agents, police or regular people. But :) there is a way to turn it off completely. have fun trying to figure that out. :cool:

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.