PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jack has an Android App in Google Play...

SLME
09-12-2012, 02:28 AM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

And it works GREAT on my Nexus 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

One does need to have a high speed internet connection tho.

Proctor
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Is it any different than Google Talk?

Euphorian
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

And it works GREAT on my Nexus 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

One does need to have a high speed internet connection tho.

Oh man
I could put this to use !
I hope it gives you a different number !

Thanks for posting !:D

tube517
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Sounds like an alternative to Google voice. May have to try it out. I wonder if I can use my existing Magic Jack number

EDIT: Yep, you can use an existing number.

EXISTING CUSTOMERS
If you sign in to magicJack APP with an active U.S. or Canadian phone number on your magicJack account, you may use it to make and receive calls with magicJack APP. You can use the same number on all your magicJack services and devices.

Euphorian
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
It does give you a new number too!
Works great on the S3 !

tube517
09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
It does give you a new number too!
Works great on the S3 !

It should work on your whole arsenal, Euph! :hee:

Proctor
09-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Sounds like an alternative to Google voice. May have to try it out. I wonder if I can use my existing Magic Jack number

EDIT: Yep, you can use an existing number.

I should have said Google Voice. Is it just a competitor? Is there anything it does better than Google Voice?

tube517
09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I should have said Google Voice. Is it just a competitor? Is there anything it does better than Google Voice?

I use Google Voice so that any calls can forward to my one GV number. Also, GV has text capabilities. I am only interested in this because I already have a Magic Jack number.

So, MJ is a competitor to GV but they are not necessarily the same type of service.

Proctor
09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
I use Google Voice so that any calls can forward to my one GV number. Also, GV has text capabilities. I am only interested in this because I already have a Magic Jack number.

So, MJ is a competitor to GV but they are not necessarily the same type of service.

Ah OK.. I have Google Voice on my phone and can use it for outgoing calls like was described here. I just wasn't sure if there wasn't something new/different/ better. Makes sense if you already use magic jack.

Euphorian
09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I have used this app.
It seems to drain the battery on my S3 a lot

although its nice to know its there!
Ill re-download when I need it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SprintUsers Forum

SLME
09-15-2012, 12:41 AM

You mean Google Voice.:lol:

Oh man
I could put this to use !
I hope it gives you a different number !

Thanks for posting !:D

You're welcome.:D

MagicJack always for direct dialing much like a regular phone dialer does. Google Voice doesn't have a direct dialer. More here. http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115061 Google Voice isn't a phone service, but it lets you manage all of your phones. Google Voice works with mobile phones, desk phones, work phones, and VoIP lines. There's nothing to download, upload, or install, and you don't have to make or take calls using a computer.

And Google Voice is only good in the U.S. whereas Magic Jack can be used anywhere a WiFi connection is possible. More here. https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com/MJPLUSINT/1.0000/index.cgi?mid=2601780&a=55964&s=1015618&ClickID=09_72161450_220bfd67-5a34-4fde-bca2-baf1560ff458 Use magicJack PLUS™ in Hotels, friends' houses, Europe or anywhere in the World. Stop paying for Hotel phones, second home phones or use it at your business. The incredible small size packs a big punch.

I have used this app.
It seems to drain the battery on my S3 a lot

although its nice to know its there!
Ill re-download when I need it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SprintUsers Forum

I found out that the app doesn't have an "Exit" routine. One must go into the app and do a "Force Stop" to exit it. When I need it I restart the app without uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Proctor
09-15-2012, 06:51 AM
MagicJack always for direct dialing much like a regular phone dialer does. Google Voice doesn't have a direct dialer. More here. http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115061

By direct dialing, do you mean being able to call using your cell phone? If so, you can actually do that with Google Voice. You can set the app up so every direct call you make uses google voice, or you can have it prompt you to choose for every call you make (either use your carrier or use google voice and data). A coworker pointed that out when we were doing online training from home and we had to call into a conference call. Wouldn't have never known otherwise.

Euphorian
09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=SLME;2705758

I found out that the app doesn't have an "Exit" routine. One must go into the app and do a "Force Stop" to exit it. When I need it I restart the app without uninstalling and reinstalling it.[/QUOTE]

Great idea!
I was going to freeze it with Titanium Backup.

I`ll re-install now.
Thanks for the idea ! :D

SLME
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
By direct dialing, do you mean being able to call using your cell phone? If so, you can actually do that with Google Voice. You can set the app up so every direct call you make uses google voice, or you can have it prompt you to choose for every call you make (either use your carrier or use google voice and data). A coworker pointed that out when we were doing online training from home and we had to call into a conference call. Wouldn't have never known otherwise.

No.

I mean direct dialing as in using the device like the Nexus 7 with MagicJack app on it which has a dial pad and making calls directly from the device itself without using a cell phone back-ending it like GV does.

And with the MagicJack app I can make calls directly from my Nexus 7 via VoIP thru MagicJack's servers anywhere in the world. Whereas GV is limited to the USA only.

DJRider
09-16-2012, 11:30 PM
I just hold the home button down on the SG3, go to task manager and close the app. It really works well and since I had a Magic Jack number already I will use this a lot! :tu:

djinks
09-17-2012, 09:12 PM
And Google Voice is only good in the U.S. whereas Magic Jack can be used anywhere a WiFi connection is possible. More here. https://www.magicjackplus2012deal.com/MJPLUSINT/1.0000/index.cgi?mid=2601780&a=55964&s=1015618&ClickID=09_72161450_220bfd67-5a34-4fde-bca2-baf1560ff458

I'm not sure that is true. I used Google Talk (on PC) and GrooveIP (uses GV account on phone) with wifi in Aruba this year. No charges for calls to domestic US from an Google Voice account created in the US.

SLME
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure that is true. I used Google Talk (on PC) and GrooveIP (uses GV account on phone) with wifi in Aruba this year. No charges for calls to domestic US from an Google Voice account created in the US.

Just going by this.. http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115061 Note: At this time Google Voice is only available in the U.S.

djinks
09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Just going by this.. http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115061

You can only get a US number, but I have seen discussions where someone has obtained a Google Voice account while in another country and can make calls to the US and elsewhere. The difference is they paid international rates for all calls, even to US numbers.

If the account is set up in the US (probably also via a US proxy) then calls to the US from Google Talk on a PC or using GrooveIP on an Android device over WiFi, then the call should be free. Calls from Google Voice to international numbers charge at Google's international rates.

JonathanFIUWx
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM
lol this is too funny, ill stick with grooveIP and netTALK... nice post though

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.