PDA

View Full Version : LG Marquee

cruiserandmax
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I have an Optimus now, and the LG Marquee seems like it may possibly be the ultimate "value" Android phone... It adds a faster CPU, rear camera, bigger front camera (with flash). And if it's 3G only, then it will still avoid the extra $10 on SERO-P. It looks from the pix like it will have a dedicated camera shutter button (like the Optimus) too.. I'm actually kind of excited...

Chris Kay
09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah I was eyeing that phone as well. Its a variant of the optimus black. The people at http://androidguys.com have a photo of it

JKills
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Don't you still have to pay the smart phone fee?

dishe
09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Don't you still have to pay the smart phone fee?

Not for SERO plans. $30 for base plan, + $10 for sero premium (if you want modern smartphone OS like Android, webOS, etc), another $10 for premium + 4G.

homeslice5484
09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Our business plan is also exempt from the 10.00 feee, unless its a 4G phone, I just called.

I though we were getting a slider phone though, I don't want another touch only phone.

wam
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Im pretty sure ill get this phone since its not 4g and it will not require the 10buck add-on on my sero-p plan. I was really holing out for a windows phone 7, but im sure it will be a while for that. I have the Optimus S and it was/is a great phone.

Aldriche
09-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Its great. Any savings are worthy of appreciation. Do avail this opportunity.

cruiserandmax
09-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Im pretty sure ill get this phone since its not 4g and it will not require the 10buck add-on on my sero-p plan. I was really holing out for a windows phone 7, but im sure it will be a while for that. I have the Optimus S and it was/is a great phone.

I'm right there with you. One thing that made/makes the Optimus S experience so great (for such a budget device) is the GPU. I hope the Marquee has an equally powerful GPU to make the UI experience buttery smooth like Optimus.

That said if the iPhone4 (non-4G) comes to Sprint before the end of this year and is allowed on SERO-P for $40, then my decision will be harder.

SylarT
09-14-2011, 03:44 PM
A lot of people on tech blogs seem underwhelmed but I feel this was a good choice. Many people are finding Sprint's 4G a waste as while Sprint has value it's 4G is slower than HSPA+ and LTE plus like 3G it's still being built up. Or was. There hasn't been a new market in ages.

All the while Sprint's been suffering a 3G phone drought since 2010 whereas other carriers have had 3G 1 and 1.2 ghz phones for ages. HTC Arrive aside.And the Pre 3 didn't pan out.

3G is the core base and more 3G phones like the Marquee will help them. HTC phones especially.

Personally waiting for fall options from Nokia if Sprint gets them. Maybe the iPhone 5, not 4. I'm not a fanboy and I'm open to all OSes. So far I've used everything out there except WP7 though.

A dual core HTC android 3G phone might do it.

The Marquee looks like a good deal though. Basically other than 4G, a kickstand, and a smaller camera it's the price range of the to be EOL HTC Evo 4G.

I mean there's the Nexus. But it's 4G.

spextar
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Want want want oh god want!!!!

slick69
09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
The Optimus S never saw a Gingerbread update even though LG said they would update it.

YPG
09-14-2011, 05:36 PM
My next phone.

HeXDeMoN
09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
The Optimus S never saw a Gingerbread update even though LG said they would update it.

Picked the wrong day to say that as it was released today!

slick69
09-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Picked the wrong day to say that as it was released today!

ahhhaha so it is! Well, I'm happy for all the Optimus S owners :headbang2

Maybe the Marquee will be a good phone after all. In my view, the best thing an OEM can do for their Android phone is to leave the bootloader open. I hear lots of chatter about whether CM7 is or isn't supported for a particular phone, and closing off the aftermarket support isn't a good way to endear your brand to more technical users.

homeslice5484
09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
How does this phone compare to the Optimus S? I want a phone with a keyboard, but maybe the bigger screen will make a huge difference for texting?

cruiserandmax
09-14-2011, 09:46 PM
Well it is missing a dedicated camera button, but the UI is very responsive:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/14/lg-marquee-hands-on-video/

Hmm...

Irishman42
09-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Hands on video and pictures. The display is awesome.

http://www.androidcentral.com/initial-hands-lg-marquee

dirty_sanchez
09-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Any idea how this Nova display compares to Samsung's Super Amoled Plus? Up to this point it seems Super Amoled is the best screen tech out there. But I'm hearing rave reviews on the Nova display.

dishe
09-15-2011, 09:49 AM
...and we're fairly certain this will NOT be a 4G device, right?
So all is fair on Sero Premium?

Meanwhile, what about that rumored LG phone with a keyboard?

blessedtalent
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know if Best Buy will have this phone on launch day? i want to get it but not from sprint. I hate the mail in rebates and would rather deal with Best Buy so I get the savings when I buy the phone not 2 months later.

ronboykin
09-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I might replace my Transform with a Marquee if I decide to go 3G on my Sero Premium Plan. I'm kind of waiting to see if Samsung will update the Transform with Gingerbread so I can take advantage of the front facing camera for video conferencing! I don't mind losing the keyboard just as long as I gain something!

magnif1cent
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
according to SU, it will require the $10 data fee. :/ anybody has any other info that indicates otherwise?

http://www.sprintusers.com/sprint-confirms-lg-marquee-now-with-press-shots/

"LG Marquee requires activation on a Sprint Everything Data plan for smartphones(2). Sprintís Everything Data plan with Any Mobile, Anytime(SM) includes unlimited web, texting and calling to and from any mobile in America while on the Sprint Network, starting at just $69.99 per month plus required $10 Premium Data add-on charge. The Mobile Hotspot option is available for an additional $29.99 per month supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously(3) (pricing excludes taxes and surcharges)."

slick69
09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Its always different for SERO.

blessedtalent
09-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I just did the pre-order using my full upgrade. Then of course the $50 rebate I'll get later on will take it down to $99 but I had to pay $149 plus tax today. Can't wait to get it!

spextar
09-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I just did the pre-order using my full upgrade. Then of course the $50 rebate I'll get later on will take it down to $99 but I had to pay $149 plus tax today. Can't wait to get it!

Do you have SERO?

blessedtalent
09-20-2011, 06:24 AM
No, don't have Sero.

GoldenBlaze
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM

The Optimus S is a very solid device. I have one with T-Mo as my backup. Some devices wont get the update, due to functionality issues. That's why it was pulled for the Galaxy S 4G. I'm okay with that, because I can always root.

GoldenBlaze
09-20-2011, 10:10 AM
That phone is pretty nice, but I'm PRAYING the Nexus Prime will eventually come to T-Mo. That's what I'm holding out for.

jojocat
09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
I have sero-p and did the preorder. Seemed to go through fine - the summary screen didn't show any extra monthly costs to the account, in spite of having to click through a notice that this phone requires a $10 premium data add on charge. I'm hoping that means they had this set up for the Sero-P exception for 3G phones, and that the charge doesn't show up later.

Wow, I've been out of the game so long, but am excited to be getting a modern phone to replace my old palm pre! I was kind of surprised to see on the summary that there is a $36 dollar activation fee, though. I think last time I activated my pre, which I didn't buy from sprint, it was free to activate it using their online form. Is that not an option for new phones to avoid the $36?

magnif1cent
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I have sero-p and did the preorder. Seemed to go through fine - the summary screen didn't show any extra monthly costs to the account, in spite of having to click through a notice that this phone requires a $10 premium data add on charge. I'm hoping that means they had this set up for the Sero-P exception for 3G phones, and that the charge doesn't show up later.

Wow, I've been out of the game so long, but am excited to be getting a modern phone to replace my old palm pre! I was kind of surprised to see on the summary that there is a $36 dollar activation fee, though. I think last time I activated my pre, which I didn't buy from sprint, it was free to activate it using their online form. Is that not an option for new phones to avoid the $36?

I'm on SERO and tried to order the phone through Telesales, and they said that the activation fee would be waived since i'm on SERO.

nomolos
09-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Does it support the smr band and will it be rev b compatible since everyone is saying that's coming?

blessedtalent
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
The G button on the side can be assigned to be for the camera.

jojocat
09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm on SERO and tried to order the phone through Telesales, and they said that the activation fee would be waived since i'm on SERO.

So you weren't able to order it via telesales though? I was under the impression that the preorder was web sales only.

Yeah, so I seem to recall that part of the SERO plan benefits were supposed to be no activation fee - is that the way they presented the case for no activation fee? I wonder if it's in print anywhere...

gwmac
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Does it support the smr band and will it be rev b compatible since everyone is saying that's coming?

I remember reading some info I think from Duffman that said that ALL Sprint phones released after and including the Evo 3d would offer the ESMR (CDMA use of SMR) band. Hopefully that was true.

magnif1cent
09-24-2011, 10:15 PM
So you weren't able to order it via telesales though? I was under the impression that the preorder was web sales only.

Yeah, so I seem to recall that part of the SERO plan benefits were supposed to be no activation fee - is that the way they presented the case for no activation fee? I wonder if it's in print anywhere...

Yea, i wasn't able to order to telesales. They told me to call back on Oct 2nd. :/

Guppeh
09-26-2011, 01:34 PM
One thing that made/makes the Optimus S experience so great (for such a budget device) is the GPU. I hope the Marquee has an equally powerful GPU to make the UI experience buttery smooth like Optimus.

Well, assuming it's the same as the Optimus Black:
PowerVR SGX530 GPU

Supposed to be quite a bit more powerful than the Adreno 200.

Ti RX-8
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Anyone pre-order this?
Are they shipping for delivery by Friday like the past couple pre-orders?
Has anyone played with one yet?
Might get this for the wife. On paper it looks to be a decent mid-tier Android phone.

blessedtalent
09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
I did the pre-order and it was shipped out this evening. It says I'll get it friday so I am excited about that. i will post a review once it get's here and take some pics!

jojocat
09-29-2011, 08:16 AM
I ordered within about an hour of when the preorder started and had my shipping updated last night too. They said in the excited language of the preorder information that it would be shipping overnight, but sucked to see in the tracking information today that the service is "GROUND". :(

Oh well, supposedly it will still make it to me by Friday, as long as they don't lose a train car in Indiana. But still...why get someone's hopes up?

BTW, anyone know if sprint UPS phone shipments have signature required service?? UPS usually drops pretty much anything for me without signature, but I believe shipper can require it instead of leaving it up to UPS. Of course sprint couldn't tell me if they shipped it that way...

blessedtalent
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
yeah I was upset to see mine wasn't overnight as promised either but maybe it depends on the distance from the warehouse to your delivery address to determine how they need to ship to get it here before the 2nd. IDK I am good anyway though, can't wait!

The Beer
09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Yea looks like everyone got ground and even Sprint's site said "overnight delivery" yesterday.

Sprint Blunders LG Marqee Pre-Orders (http://www.wirelessbabble.com/2011/09/29/sprint-blunders-lg-marqee-pre-orders/)

jojocat
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Funny, that links over to my post in the sprint forum. Kinda lame, though...do what you promise or just don't promise. Also didn't get the "email the second it ships so you can track your order's progress"...but whatever, I can find that myself. Marketing made it sound pretty slick anyway...

blessedtalent
09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm glad I am getting it by Friday but man they did us dirty and for the people that are getting it on Monday or after that I would be super upset.

blessedtalent
09-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Finding accessories for this phone has been hard. Almost no one has any. I had to buy a TPU case for the Optimus Black on ebay just to have a case to protect it. Casemate has Barely aggression case for the Optimus Black but it's $24 a bit much for a plastic case. Anyone know of any accessories online?

jojocat
09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Got it and NICE PHONE! I likes, and my coworkers were pretty impressed. Activation confirmed no additional charge on sero-p plan.

madcapjim
09-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm starting to think this might be my best option. Not in a hurry to get the iPhone, besides have the iPod touch and that's about the same anyway, epic 4g is just to big. No interest in 4g phone until it actually works, and although I have it, not worth using.
If this is going to be in Sprint stores Sunday might stop in and pick one up.

Ti RX-8
10-01-2011, 06:37 PM
No one got this phone and willing to review it?

blessedtalent
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not much of a reviewer but I'll post one in a little bit. So far I love it! I almost forgot it was in my pocket yesterday it is so light. It's a little faster than my Evo 4G. I miss htc sense and widgets but other than that it is a solid phone. I also hate that the charging port is on top of the phone but not a deal breaker.

Ti RX-8
10-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Does LG have their own theme and apps, like HTC Sense, or is it a pure Android experience?
Can you avoid Sprint ID?

blessedtalent
10-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Is anyone having problems with the screen not being sensitive enough? I am coming from an EVO4G where the screen was so sensitive all I had to do was lightly tap the screen screen, barely touch the screen actually. With the Marquee, I am finding I have to kind of push or hold my finger down a little for the screen to accept the command. I may be visiting the sprint store. There is no screen calibration setup either.

Roho
10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Anyone know if the Marguee has Gorilla Glass?

If not it's a deal killer for me.

sparky930
10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyone able to get Sprint to give a discount on the Marquee via telesales? Or at least get activation waived?

I am on SERO-P, so Best Buy and RadioShack are not an option...

magnif1cent
10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Anyone able to get Sprint to give a discount on the Marquee via telesales? Or at least get activation waived?

I am on SERO-P, so Best Buy and RadioShack are not an option...

i was told by telesales that activation is waived for zero-p.

spextar
10-03-2011, 09:03 AM
i was told by telesales that activation is waived for zero-p.

Yes, SERO = no activation fee + free ship

blessedtalent
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
So I have had the phone 3 days and there is a problem with the touch screen. There seems to be a dead area on the screen that does not respond to touch for about 5 seconds after I end a call or close out an app. It's bottom right side of the screen.

I took it to the sprint repair store and was told they couldn't help me because they don't have the parts for the phone nor do they carry the phone. So I had to call sprint and get them to send me a new one. It should be here in a few days and I can send them this one back.

dishe
10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Is it the same battery as the Optimus S? Because i've already got a spare charger and 2 spare batteries, which would be great!

spextar
10-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Radioshack has it for $29.99 new, $79.99 upgrade. Best Buy price is $49.99 both new and upgrade. With the iPhone 4 coming to Sprint for just $99, it's just a matter of time before Sprint sells it for FREE given the black Friday and the holidays are coming up soon.

YPG
10-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Please link your case and screen protector accessories.

I will probably pick this phone up for Christmas.

magnif1cent
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
i just got this phone from telesales. No discounts, activation wavied, but charged for shipping. :( Was on SERO and upgraded to SERO-P.

only played with the phone for a day. the only downside i noticed is that the corners of the touch screen are not as responsive.

jojocat
10-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone having problems with battery life with their Marquee?

Mine seems to chew through most of the battery in about 12 hours even if I don't do much with it, and seems to be related to the cell radio.

Coverage in my house does not seem to be as good as it was with my pre. Constantly shows zero bars momentarily, while my pre would at least be 1 bar all the time. "Cell Standby" in the battery usage panel is about 50%.

Went through the song and dance today with support, refresh connection stuff, PRL, etc, but I'm not terribly hopeful about that making a difference. I certainly hope it's just a lemon, because otherwise I really like this phone.

magnif1cent
10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Battery life seems ok to me so far. Do you leave Wifi and GPS on even when you don't use them?

YPG
10-05-2011, 05:01 PM
What type of accessories are you all finding?

Ti RX-8
10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Does the Marquee have a notification LED? That was one big deficiency of the Optimus.

jojocat
10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Battery life seems ok to me so far. Do you leave Wifi and GPS on even when you don't use them?

So how much battery life do you get that you consider it ok?

I do leave wifi on, as I'm around good wifi signal almost 24/7. GPS is on by demand, but I don't use maps/location services much, so the little icon that indicates it's powered on is rarely seen.

The battery usage panel indicates about 50% battery going to Cell Standby, so that's why I expect it's radio related.

YPG: I've seen some cases on ebay. Search for "Lg optimus black" if you want a better selection.

Ti RX-8: Not natively, but there is a market app that supposedly implements that, but I haven't tried it. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.martinborjesson.o2xtouchlednotifica tions

cb526
10-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Anyone having problems with battery life with their Marquee?

Mine seems to chew through most of the battery in about 12 hours even if I don't do much with it, and seems to be related to the cell radio.

Coverage in my house does not seem to be as good as it was with my pre. Constantly shows zero bars momentarily, while my pre would at least be 1 bar all the time. "Cell Standby" in the battery usage panel is about 50%.

Went through the song and dance today with support, refresh connection stuff, PRL, etc, but I'm not terribly hopeful about that making a difference. I certainly hope it's just a lemon, because otherwise I really like this phone.

I know it stinks that some of us on Android have to resort to the use of 3rd party apps to save battery and it's not ideal, but I stongly recommend Juice Defender. It's really helped me out quite a bit. It turns off the 3G radio for a predetermined amount of time, then turns it on to fetch data and then turns it off. Incoming calls and texts aren't affected. Give it a shot. It more or less doubles the battery time on my rooted Hero.

dishe
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
This is very disappointing to hear, as one of the reasons I loved the Optimus S was the battery life and rock solid build quality.

I heard a similar problem from a new Marquee user on a different forum (an Android forum, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reference them here). This guy said his battery was sucking dry at such ridiculous speeds, and he seemed to frequently lose signal. He was also complaining about screen responsiveness, saying the device had trouble registering your touch at times.
I'm hoping that guy just had a lemon, but to hear that there are signal and battery issues here as well is starting to make me nervous.

I really want this phone to be great! I like the display and front camera, not to mention flash support. On paper it seems like a great upgrade from my Optimus S- maybe there is a bug in the radio firmware?

blessedtalent
10-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I posted this very thing here in the thread about the screen not responding to my touch at times. Sprint sent me a brand new one and although the screen is more responsive it is still very laggy and the signal is so low on both the new one and the first one. I have decided to return the phone because of these things. Sucks battery, bad signal, unresponsive screen, laggy interface.

This one is a fail for me so I will be returning this and maybe wait around for the next phone. Back to my original Evo 4G which hasn't failed me yet!

This is very disappointing to hear, as one of the reasons I loved the Optimus S was the battery life and rock solid build quality.

I heard a similar problem from a new Marquee user on a different forum (an Android forum, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reference them here). This guy said his battery was sucking dry at such ridiculous speeds, and he seemed to frequently lose signal. He was also complaining about screen responsiveness, saying the device had trouble registering your touch at times.
I'm hoping that guy just had a lemon, but to hear that there are signal and battery issues here as well is starting to make me nervous.

I really want this phone to be great! I like the display and front camera, not to mention flash support. On paper it seems like a great upgrade from my Optimus S- maybe there is a bug in the radio firmware?

dishe
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I posted this very thing here in the thread about the screen not responding to my touch at times. Sprint sent me a brand new one and although the screen is more responsive it is still very laggy and the signal is so low on both the new one and the first one. I have decided to return the phone because of these things. Sucks battery, bad signal, unresponsive screen, laggy interface.

This one is a fail for me so I will be returning this and maybe wait around for the next phone. Back to my original Evo 4G which hasn't failed me yet!

Thing is, this could all be related to a single problem.
Buggy radio software WILL cause battery problems since it is exerting far more effort than it needs to negotiate with towers. The laggy screen at times could also be explained by the system spending more resources than it should on dealing with the cellular connection. I travelled overseas once with an old HTC Windows Mobile phone on Sprint, and until I managed to put it into airplane mode, the thing was SUPER LAGGY and more unresponsive than normal. It was desperately trying to roam on a CDMA network there.

To anyone noticing the unresponsive issues- try putting it in airplane mode and see if it makes a difference?

I'm hoping this is all a major symptoms of a minor bug, and can be easily fixed with a software update.
The hardware should be excellent judging my the Optimus Black reviews.

jojocat
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Thing is, this could all be related to a single problem.
Buggy radio software WILL cause battery problems since it is exerting far more effort than it needs to negotiate with towers. The laggy screen at times could also be explained by the system spending more resources than it should on dealing with the cellular connection. I travelled overseas once with an old HTC Windows Mobile phone on Sprint, and until I managed to put it into airplane mode, the thing was SUPER LAGGY and more unresponsive than normal. It was desperately trying to roam on a CDMA network there.

To anyone noticing the unresponsive issues- try putting it in airplane mode and see if it makes a difference?

I'm hoping this is all a major symptoms of a minor bug, and can be easily fixed with a software update.
The hardware should be excellent judging my the Optimus Black reviews.

I really haven't noticed lagginess, as I come from Palm Pre and that was the norm. :)

I do have a replacement phone that's supposed to get to me on Monday, though, so I'll report back if there's an improvement. It's been off the charger for 8 hours so far today and around very decent coverage with minimal usage, and I'm down to 25% battery. :confused:

On an aside, though, the replacement period stuff is pretty ridiculous now. It's 14 days now with isn't terrible, BUT...when you get a replacement phone shipped out, the return period isn't reset! Jeez. I'll have all of one day to try out the new phone and decide to return or not. Oh, and they started the return period from the day they shipped it apparently, and not the day I got it. :irked:

nosajs
10-09-2011, 11:22 AM
has anyone out there attempted to root this phone yet?

blessedtalent
10-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Well I switched back to my Evo 4G and I can honestly say that my Evo is superior to the Marquee. The speed of it compared to the Marquee is night and day! So I have sent my Marquee back and I am waiting for my upgrade to be put back on my account so I can try another phone. Maybe the 3D or the iPhone 4S, not sure. I am a female and want a small thin phone I can fit in my pocket, and most of the android phones coming out have really large screens making the phones too large for me. I really though the Marquee would be perfect but not with the problems I was having.

madcapjim
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Thought about getting this phone but my history with anything made by LG is not good so decided against it. Ordered the iPhone 4s instead.

nosajs
10-09-2011, 02:00 PM
has anyone out there attempted to root this phone yet?

Root has been gained for the LG Esteem, which is similar to the marquee internally.

http://androidnerds.net/2011/10/08/lg-esteem-oneclickroot-now-ready/

Maybe this will help?

nosajs
10-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Root has been gained for the LG Esteem, which is similar to the marquee internally.

http://androidnerds.net/2011/10/08/lg-esteem-oneclickroot-now-ready/

Maybe this will help?

Looks like some have success with gaining root through the esteem method;

Maybe after you gain root, and load a custom recovery, you'll be able to use some of the optimus black roms?

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks in advance!
BIG THANKS TO tcaudill01 & Hoovhartid over at androidcentral for getting the ball rolling!

rcentros
10-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Anyone know if the Marguee has Gorilla Glass?

If not it's a deal killer for me.

According to this site...

http://www.gsmchoice.com/en/katalog/lg/marquee/

...the Marquee *does* have Gorilla Glass. I've read elsewhere that it has Gorilla Glass also.

That's kind of a deal killer for me as well. I made sure my XPRT had Gorilla Glass before I ordered it.

Jim01
10-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Hmm, I'm looking at this for an upgrade to my Optimus S (which I don't really care for. Too little memory and too small). I really wanted the iPhone 4S, but not sure I can justify the $10 a month. I would love this phone for the $40 SERO-P plan but I don't think it's worth using my renewal credit on. Ideally some used or cheaper new ones will show up on ebay that I can grab out of contract (like I did with my Optimus S) and use until something really great grabs me for the renewal.

hoovhartid
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
According to this site...
http://www.gsmchoice.com/en/katalog/lg/marquee/
...the Marquee *does* have Gorilla Glass. I've read elsewhere that it has Gorilla Glass also.

Unfortunately, Sprint opted not to use gorilla glass. The gorilla glass is used in the Optimus Black, which is similar to the Marquee, but the Marquee does not have it.

I was told this by an LG Rep at an event for the Esteem (the metro pcs version).

He had the Marquee and demo'd it for me. He claimed that Sprint presents them(LG) with a list of components and a price that they want to pay for a phone, then LG counters with the components they will include for the price Sprint wants to pay. In the end, Sprint didn't want to pay the extra $12 for the gorilla glass. I'm hoping this isn't the cause for the issues some people are having with the screen (un)responsiveness. :rolleyes:

On a separate note; Is gorilla glass really all that? I've seen it spider on phones that have it, so it's not like its unbreakable. Its not like they are using the same gauge they use on helicopters. :thought: Any phone that gets dropped too hard is going to break.

spextar
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Checked out the Marquee at the Sprint store today. To me, the screen seemed just fine. Just as fast and responsive as my Thunderbolt. However, when it comes to screen / text clarity, compared to my Thunderbolt, it looks like it has QVGA res. The text rendering is so horrible on this device, despite the WVGA res. I really dont know what it is, because the screen is bright, high resolution, but text doesn't look smooth.

Roho
10-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, Sprint opted not to use gorilla glass.

On a separate note; Is gorilla glass really all that? I've seen it spider on phones that have it, so it's not like its unbreakable. Its not like they are using the same gauge they use on helicopters. :thought: Any phone that gets dropped too hard is going to break.

It's better than not having it. Check out the utube video demos then decide which you'd rather have on your $500 phone. Sprint is cheap. I've checked this phone off my list.

nosajs
10-13-2011, 04:01 PM
It's better than not having it. Check out the utube video demos then decide which you'd rather have on your $500 phone. Sprint is cheap. I've checked this phone off my list.

sure, its better than not having it (btw, its not a $500 phone) but I have NEVER had it yet on any of my phones & it has never been an issue.

so, you have checked this phone off your list because it doesn't have Gorilla glass?? ....really??

dracodoc
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm complaining the signal issues in sprint community. If you have similar problem, please join me at

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78687

I wish Sprint can have a look at this and try to solve it with some update.

blessedtalent
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
The signal issues were bad for me as well. Glad I sent it back. Went through 2 of them in a week.

spextar
10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Waiting for the price to drop to $0 with a contract... hopefully by black friday it becomes FREE and the signal and/or screen issues are taken care of.

dishe
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm so disappointed to hear about the signal battery and screen responsive issues on the Marquee! Those are 3 of the Optimus S's greatest strengths, and one of the reasons I still haven't opted for one of the 4G "superphones" yet.

I love the Optimus S, but I really wish it had better flash support and a front facing camera, not to mention more memory (I'm constantly moving as much as I can to the storage card and even then I get low memory errors). Those are the only reasons I'd even consider upgrading. The Marquee seemed like the answer I have been waiting for- another cheap LG no-frills phone that adds the features I am looking for, but now I don't know. This is terribly disappointing. I don't want to pay to downgrade from what I have.

I'm really hoping to hear about a firmware update or something from someone on the inside... I feel like this may be a software bug.

dracodoc
10-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Actually I don't have problem with screen. The battery life is not great, but that should be caused by the weak signal.

deadave
10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
I want the LG marquee but i want ICS. Anyone know if the Marquee will get the ice cream sandwhich update. It doesn't seem like CM has a lot of support for the marquee so I am doubtful if i can depend on CM for an ICS update.

dishe
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I want the LG marquee but i want ICS. Anyone know if the Marquee will get the ice cream sandwhich update. It doesn't seem like CM has a lot of support for the marquee so I am doubtful if i can depend on CM for an ICS update.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not so sure LG has figured out how to roll out Gingerbread successfully yet. The Ginger upgrade for the Optimus was such a train wreck that Sprint pulled it from their servers.
The Marquee apparently has some reported radio issues (signal drops) which may also be related to the supposed battery drain issues, as well as some performance hiccups that I noticed.

Meanwhile, the generic Optimus Black (which is still running Froyo) seems to be a pretty solid performer. I'm wondering if LG just doesn't know how to utilize Gingerbread properly yet, and perhaps jumped the gun releasing the Marquee with it. I'm kind of wondering what a Froyo rom for the Marquee would be like, to be honest...

But anyway, that being said, I think I'm rather frightened of what they would do with ICS. I would not hold my breath for any updates until LG proves it can even handle GB.

nosajs
10-28-2011, 11:15 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'm not so sure LG has figured out how to roll out Gingerbread successfully yet. The Ginger upgrade for the Optimus was such a train wreck that Sprint pulled it from their servers.
The Marquee apparently has some reported radio issues (signal drops) which may also be related to the supposed battery drain issues, as well as some performance hiccups that I noticed.

Meanwhile, the generic Optimus Black (which is still running Froyo) seems to be a pretty solid performer. I'm wondering if LG just doesn't know how to utilize Gingerbread properly yet, and perhaps jumped the gun releasing the Marquee with it. I'm kind of wondering what a Froyo rom for the Marquee would be like, to be honest...

But anyway, that being said, I think I'm rather frightened of what they would do with ICS. I would not hold my breath for any updates until LG proves it can even handle GB.

Dishe,
When I am interested in a product, I normally do some research on it 1st. I go to forums expecting to read the pros & cons. Obviously, forums are filled with posts & threads (from people like yourself) that express their opinions of a specific product. I have no problem with that at all. I know how to filter through posts that are BS. I don't have any problem with differences of opinions, nor a problem with someone out there doesn't like this phone or has had a negative personal experience with it....but I do have a problem w/ false or incorrect information.

Which is why I have a problem w/ your posts. You have gone on multiple different forums/websites& repeatedly posted negative, some false & unconfirmed information about a phone a) you don't personally own & b) have not really given a fair amount of time with (messing with a store Demo imo doesn't count). Either way, there have been more people (like myself) that have posted numerous POSITIVE reviews/fixes/advice about this phone you seem to ignore. More importantly, even with these suggestions out there, you repeatedly continue to post information that is confusing & contradicting to someone that might be interested in purchasing this specific phone.

BTW, before continuing to post incorrect information about Sprint new return policy. As I have not seen ANYWHERE (except for your posts) that Sprint only will give you 14 days to return from the date the order is placed or when the phone ships. I am actually pretty sure it's from the day the phone is received in hand & gets activated on the account. Anyways, it might be worth it for you to check on that & be sure to 100% confirm your information WITH SPRINT before posting that again.

You have implied LG might have a problem w/ Gingerbread. If your opinion is based on the pulled Gingerbread release for the Optimus S & if so what does it have to do with this phone?? Gingerbread seems to be working just fine on my LG Marquee. In addition, I do not think it was released for this phone pre-maturely.

This phone has never been promoted as a "replacement for the Optimus S" (once again, except with your posts). Although with SOME carriers it shares the Optimus name....but it doesn't with Sprint. In fact, you can still purchase a brand new Optimus S today from Sprint if you wanted to. Which tells me, this is just another phone in the Sprints product line....is it an improvement from the Optimus S?? Yes, absolutely....but not a direct replacement.

As to why Sprint isn't promoting this phone?? Who knows & more importantly who cares. Stop looking for some conspiracy theory or personal vendetta....My conclusion?? I am sure over the last month the iPhone release has squashed most of the promotion for newer phones (the LG Marquee isn't the only phone suffering right now from a lack of promotion).

This phone will not perform at the same levels as 4G phones (iPhone, Evo, Epic, Nexus). If you think it will or are expecting it to, prepare to be disappointed. This phone should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as those phones. Although physically similar to the Optimus Black, this IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PHONE internally...it shouldn't be compared to the LG Esteem (Metro PCS) either. It's apples & oranges here & once again should not be compared.

This phone was never promised to be anything more than a mid level 3G Android phone. Everything I have read from either LG or Sprint has never implied otherwise. With the exception of the LED notification that is in the manual (most likely a misprint), there has not been any info printed, released or promised about this specific phone (LG MARQUEE) from either manufacturer that hasn't been delivered. If you want gorilla glass, it doesn't have it....it also doesn't have a the same dedicated camera button as the Optimus S but DOES have a dedicated hard button (set as the Camera button by default) although it does not seem to support a half-way press to lock focus. It also does not have a slide out keyboard so if you want one/or must have it, THIS PHONE IS NOT FOR YOU.

LAG/STUTTER
The only negative thing I have found is there is an initial lag, stutter, lack of "smoothness" with the STOCK launcher program of this phone. In addition, I couldn't find a way to customize it to my liking. So I downloaded Launcher Pro which for those who don't know is a different Launcher App found in the Market. There is a free & paid version. I also tried ADW Launcer as well (pretty sure there is only a paid version). I liked them both as they both have alot of customization options, but personally I like Launcher Pro a little better. I can't even tell you why. It's just the one I decided on & it works for me.

SIGNAL ISSUE
There were 1-2 people that initially posted they had a signal issue. it was also made it VERY clear in follow up posts that the signal problem MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE PHONE but most likely because they were in a low signal area. For the record, I have not experienced ANY drop outs, missed calls, or signal problems with the TWO LG Marquee phones that I personally own (since October 13th).

SCREEN RESPONSE
There was 1 person that reported a screen response issue....no one else, that I can find has been able to recreate or had the screen response problem. Again, I have not experienced ANY screen response issues or problems with the TWO LG Marquee phones that I personally own (since October 13th).

BATTERY LIFE
Yes, there are phones out there w/ better Battery life. With that said, there is a very helpful post (the one you hijacked) with really good tips on how to improve the Battery life of this phone. For the record, I applied most (not all) of the tips to my TWO LG Marquee phones that I personally own & am able to get 18-24 hours of pretty steady use without having to recharge. Your comment of "put the phone in airplane mode" doesn't really make sense & no one ever said to that btw (just you). Every tip mentioned still allows you to receive calls & texts. Here's the deal, with any phone shutting off a function that is not being used will increase your Battery life in the long run.

Brightness - If you keep the phone at 100% brightness, your battery will drop quickly. If you can adjust it & keep it lower it may help improve your Battery life.

Keeping the Data Sync, GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi are on (even they aren't being used) will drain the battery. Shutting them off when not in use will help improve Battery life. There is a free power control widget that comes with the phone but for more customization options, the EXTENDED CONTROLS App is recommended.

btw...there are more tips...search & you will find.

ROOT
This phone can be rooted....very easily. Again search & you will find.

ACCESSORIES:
Since the Marquee is a PHYSICAL clone of the Optimus Black accessories are VERY EASY TO FIND. Search Google, Amazon, eBay, etc.
Here is the screen protector & case I use:
LG Marquee / Optimus Black Anti-Glare Screen Protector + PET | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250877262201#ht_18440wt_905)
USA GEAR Sleek Impact-Resistant Protective Case for Sprint LG Marquee | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-GEAR-Sleek-Impact-Resistant-Protective-Case-Sprint-LG-Marquee-/350497434057#ht_2139wt_1344)

In closing, if you are reading this, my goal wasn't to bash Dishe as much as it was to provide a different perspective & info to help anyone interested or looking at Sprint's LG Marquee. I personally own two of these phones & coming from a Touch Pro 2, I couldn't be happier. I am looking forward to more people getting this phone so together we can make it even better.

dracodoc
10-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I believe my Marquee's signal strength is one step weaker than my previous Centro. But Sprint gave me a Airave for that problem.

I don't have screen response problem. The only problem with Marquee is that it is not too fast compared to other high end phones, but all high end phones need 4G fee so we have no choice.

It is still the best choice for 40/month sero user. Bestbuy will have it for $1 start from 11.1, it's time to buy!

Besides, I purchased a TPU case for optimus black for less than $3, and I'm satisfied with it. It will not be that slim with the case on, but the case give you protection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400248623338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I felt the power button will be more difficult to press with the case, so I put 2 small paper tape inside the inner side of the case to reduce the distance between power button and the case, it is much better now.

I also ordered a screen protector for $2, haven't receive it yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400252815146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

nosajs
10-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I believe my Marquee's signal strength is one step weaker than my previous Centro. But Sprint gave me a Airave for that problem.

Just wondering, how were you testing the signal strength? Are you basing it only on the number of bars? dropped/missed calls?

or

did you go actually go into the phones settings & check/compare the signal strength (dBm) of each phone??

mr_human
10-29-2011, 12:20 PM
This is a great review -- thanks. But Dishe has a point regarding LG. As an Optimus owner, I also question LG's ability to push out updates. I would probably be a little scared to install any ICS update that came from them. The Gingerbread update was a disaster -- half-baked and seemingly untested. LG has a software engineering problem across a few product lines. Dishe's point was not off base.

Dishe,
Which is why I have a problem w/ your posts. You have gone on multiple different forums/websites& repeatedly posted negative, some false & unconfirmed information about a phone a) you don't personally own & b) have not really given a fair amount of time with (messing with a store Demo imo doesn't count). Either way, there have been more people (like myself) that have posted numerous POSITIVE reviews/fixes/advice about this phone you seem to ignore. More importantly, even with these suggestions out there, you repeatedly continue to post information that is confusing & contradicting to someone that might be interested in purchasing this specific phone.

nosajs
10-29-2011, 01:12 PM
This is a great review -- thanks. But Dishe has a point regarding LG.

Overall my problem is he doesn't have a point to make regarding this phone. Dishe has been repeatedly implying (here & in other forums) that Gingerbread may not be working correctly on the Marquee phone. Which is an bold opinion to make from someone who doesn't own this phone.

Gingerbread wasn't an update for the Marquee, it was released with it. So far, there have been no major reported issues or glitches with Gingerbread on the Marquee.

Imo, rolling out an update for a phone has more of a chance of issues & problems than with an initial release. ICS for all intensive purposes hasn't even been released yet (officially). So to speculate on its release or any related potential problems is really pre-mature. The assumption that LG will have problems with it's release is just speculation at this point. Many people want to have the latest & greatest OS but when it comes to ICS, keep in mind it was optimized for a DUAL CORE processor (which the Marquee is not). With that said, I would be cautious to update my Marquee based on that, NOT because of LG's past reputation with updates (btw, LG wasn't the only manufacturer with a Gingerbread update problem).

Regardless, I am more interested in what will make my phone run at its best vs. having the latest OS. If I had an Optimus S & it was running as good as people say it does (on Froyo), I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade to Gingerbread.

dracodoc
10-29-2011, 04:45 PM
The bars are very inaccurate. They may were updated fast enough.

I installed a free app from market, called opensignalmaps, it even have a database of nearby towers. Of course you can check the dBm number in settings, but that requires multiple clicks and it's difficult to know how much dBm means good.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal&hl=en

I found the signal in my home varies in different times. Sometimes especially in some room, the signal could be -112 dBm, less than 10%, and I've experienced 2 dropped call with that signal level.

Just wondering, how were you testing the signal strength? Are you basing it only on the number of bars? dropped/missed calls?

or

did you go actually go into the phones settings & check/compare the signal strength (dBm) of each phone??

spextar
10-29-2011, 06:35 PM

I don't have screen response problem. The only problem with Marquee is that it is not too fast compared to other high end phones, but all high end phones need 4G fee so we have no choice.

It is still the best choice for 40/month sero user. Bestbuy will have it for $1 start from 11.1, it's time to buy!

Besides, I purchased a TPU case for optimus black for less than $3, and I'm satisfied with it. It will not be that slim with the case on, but the case give you protection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400248623338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I felt the power button will be more difficult to press with the case, so I put 2 small paper tape inside the inner side of the case to reduce the distance between power button and the case, it is much better now.

I also ordered a screen protector for $2, haven't receive it yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400252815146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Would you please post some pics of the case?

dracodoc
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
It's basically same with the pic of the ebay link.

Would you please post some pics of the case?

dishe
10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Nosajs, I'm impressed at the great lengths you are taking to bring your personal vandetta against me into every forum on the internets, copy-pasting the same content even when it doesn't apply to what I am talking about.

Sure looks like someone is either rather defensive about something (interesting to note), or just has way too much time on their hands. Either way, I am politely disagreeing with your opinion but would like to request that you please take your personal gripes with me into a PM or someplace less disruptive. Posting publicly like this all over the place is not the way to deal with me.

Overall my problem is he doesn't have a point to make regarding this phone. Dishe has been repeatedly implying (here & in other forums) that Gingerbread may not be working correctly on the Marquee phone. Which is an bold opinion to make from someone who doesn't own this phone.

You can think its a bold opinion as much as you want. It doesn't change the facts on paper if you would just place your bias aside and look at it objectively for a change.

Look- the internals of this device are the US version of the Optimus Black. I don't care what Sprint decided to call it anymore than I care that the way they decided to rename the HTC Vogue as the "HTC Touch". Branding shmanding. The internals are what matters. I know you've tried to say it isn't necessarily, but it is the Black. Google around, I recall even seeing LG refer to it as such before Sprint started marketing and rebranded it. And there's good reason that Optimus Black users are interested in examining your Rom.

So, that being said, LG has not been known to deliver a solid Gingerbread OS device yet. Here, the Marquee is being pitted against a lot of competing devices (HTC EVO, etc), many of which have Gingerbread upgrades already. When the Optimus S released with Froyo, it was a big selling point as many of the other devices at the time were still on 2.1 officially.
Not wanting to miss a selling point, it is perfectly logical to theorize that LG wanted to push Ginger out the door on this one.

Do you know what the major complaints were for the Ginger update on the Optimus? Poor battery life, slower screen responses, and other random bugs that admittedly bothered some more than others.
Now, as an objective viewer in all this, I see the Optimus Black has been met with great reviews, decent battery, solid performer, and even seen hands-on reviews look at it and demonstrate it moving smoothly with even the stock launcher.
Then you see the US version of it, running Gingerbread, and hear people complain that the stock launcher is laggy, battery is on the poorer side, and random bugs (that admittedly bother some more than others). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots here and conclude that maybe, just maybe, LG is having trouble with Gingerbread.

Yes, I understand that some Marquee users are happy enough with it. That doesn't mean it couldn't (and shouldn't) be better. Back in the days of the HTC Mogul, it launched on Sprint with WinMo 6, whereas the hardware had launched elsewhere with WinMo5. Turned out that until 6.1 came around, there were some bugs in 6 that were rushed to market and caused memory hogging instability errors.
Some guys on PPCGeeks named Samson built a WinMo5 rom from the other devices, and it ran beautifully. A lot of folks preferred that until 6.1 came out and helped smooth things over a bit. It is not unheard of for this to happen. Meanwhile, I don't understand why are you taking this so personally!

Look at it this way- why on earth would I be out to "get" your precious phone? My take on all this is that I see something I think is wrong, and would like to figure out how to make it better. It might not be "wrong" to you (for crying out loud, you've had a Touch Pro 2 for how long? After reaching the brick wall of acceleration drivers I gave up on fixing the performance on that device). Its what I do- I spent years on XDA-developers tweaking and fixing devices for myself and others, sometimes for devices that I did not even own. I see that there is a problem here, and I think I may be able to figure out what it is. But you keep popping up trying to discredit me and my theories, dismissing them as complaints. And honestly, I'm growing a bit tired of it rather quickly. This may end up being your own loss.

Gingerbread wasn't an update for the Marquee, it was released with it. So far, there have been no major reported issues or glitches with Gingerbread on the Marquee.

What does that even mean? Reported issues or glitches? Do I need to cut-and-paste all the posts from folks who returned it because it didn't perform well for them? I know you say more people have chimed in and like it now (I haven't seem them so I'm not sure where all these people are, but I'll take your word for it), but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people reported glitches at first.

Then there is the fact that out of every single device on display in the store, only the Marquee has the screen lag reminiscent of older devices. Look at videos of the Optimus Black on youtube. You'll see the stock launcher isn't supposed to be that laggy.

Regardless, I am more interested in what will make my phone run at its best vs. having the latest OS. If I had an Optimus S & it was running as good as people say it does (on Froyo), I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade to Gingerbread.

Again, refer to the story above about the HTC Mogul. Gingerbread might not be what "makes your phone run best".

The bottom line here is, why are you arguing with me instead of embracing something that might actually improve your performance??

dracodoc
11-01-2011, 07:12 AM
What stock launcher laggy? What are you talking about? I didn't experience one. I also didn't see much complain about this.

What battery problem? Smartphone battery life is so complicated and depend on usage patterns, you will hear people complain bad battery life in ANY smartphone.

I've seen about 8-10 real Marquee user's report, many of them said the signal is not good, 2-3 said screen sometimes is not responsive (mine don't have this problem).

Your connection from "some users said bad things about Marquee" and "optimus black youtube video is good" to "LG have problem with 2.3.4" is simply too bold. Actually Marquee ROM made optimus black cm7 ROM developer's job much easier.

The user base of Marquee is too small now, gather a conclusion from less than 5 user report and youtube videos, sprint store demos are extremely unreliable. The sprint store I visit have this optimus S, it never can connect to 3G, always have 1x speed while EVO have 4G, should I say optimus S have network problem? Store demo units were operated by hundreds of people monthly, many of them don't know what they are doing, you cannot take that as a model of real user's phone.

Please, add one sentence before your long post:
"This man don't own a Marquee".

dracodoc
11-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I knew the fiasco of the Sprint optimus S update when I check sprint community. I also will not update immediately should any LG update came in future.

But I don't think there is any major problem with Marquee's Stock ROM. The problems reported by Marquee user are too few and too small compared with the Optimus S update.

If Marquee have a similar problem with Gingerbread like the Optimus S update, everybody bought Marquee would have returned it. Isn't that simple?

dracodoc
11-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I want to emphasis that Marquee is not perfect. In my case, the signal is weaker, and sometimes I felt the cpu could be faster. However, since this is the best device we can get for 40/month sero (and I doubt there will be any new better device in 2 years), and it was $1 in bestbuy, I take it as a good deal.

Actually I thought Marquee is remarkably better than Optimus S, I found Optimus S screen yellowish, network speed slow, and there are some reports of its other hardware and software problems. But Optimus S had a very positive review in this forum when it was out. I almost pulled the trigger just because the overwhelming positive review. I'm glad I waited for Marquee.

You cannot put a company into blacklist for some failure in history. Every company, every brand, even every model have their problem. There is no any perfect device. If there is a very good device have almost no problem, then it must be very expensive.

Samsung galaxy used to have serious gps problem, Nexus S used to have serious signal problem -- not weak signal, but people just missed calls in strong signal area, and Samsung is not fast to update their devices, should you bash Samsung and discourage people buy any Samsung again in Internet?

You will have no choice left if you think like this. Unless you are using different standards for different brands.

dishe
11-01-2011, 10:05 AM
I knew the fiasco of the Sprint optimus S update when I check sprint community. I also will not update immediately should any LG update came in future.

But I don't think there is any major problem with Marquee's Stock ROM. The problems reported by Marquee user are too few and too small compared with the Optimus S update.

If Marquee have a similar problem with Gingerbread like the Optimus S update, everybody bought Marquee would have returned it. Isn't that simple?

To be fair, the Optimus S had a lot more users to complain, and they already knew what the phone SHOULD have been capable of, so there was more of a point to it. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying it doesn't prove anything.
In the case of the Marquee, you don't know how much better Froyo *could* have been because you've never seen it!
I say *could*, because again this is only a theory based on what I've heard and seen.

Meanwhile, the first week after the Marquee came out, the few people who reported getting one actually did return it. And one person I think even got stuck with it because of Sprint's new return policy (although I haven't exactly followed up on that story so maybe now they are happy with it or actually got it switched- who knows). Either way, I'm glad to hear people are buying it and are actually happy with it. What device are you upgrading from, btw? An Optimus?

And as far as the store display thing goes- I am aware that phones get messed up on display. The local store had just gotten this in, so I don't think it had been active for more than a couple of days. But who knows what happened. Meanwhile, the devices I was comparing it to in the same class were also store display models.

Ok, how about this- just for kicks, run OpenGL test from the market, or Neocore and report back some fps numbers. I'm curious. I'm going to see if I can get some Optimus Black folks to do the same. I will readily admit that my theory is wrong if proven so.

EDIT:
I see you posted more after I wrote this.

No, I don't judge a company by one device. I would love to see what else LG has in store, but I had high hopes coming from the Optimus, which may likely be one of the most solid little smartphones I've ever seen. Its only downsides as far as I'm concerned, are the lack of internal memory and non-flash compatible CPU. Also, I wouldn't mind a slightly larger display. But that's my own personal preference.

Meanwhile, after having a very poor opinion of the Samsung Transform, they've apparently come back with a vengeance on this new Transform Ultra model that is coming out. The Ultra is super smooth, no lag at all, and in performance tests online (the boost version is already out), it even trumps some of the original Galaxy S devices.
And it will be cheaper than the Marquee on release. And has a keyboard. Not everyone's thing, but I'm leaning towards recommending that as the new 3G champ to replace an Optimus S.
So yes, to respond to your concern, I don't judge a company by a single release.

nosajs
11-01-2011, 11:17 AM
From the research I've done myself on comparing the Optimus Black w/ the Lg Marquee
http://android.modaco.com/topic/341461-optimus-black-battery-life/

It seems the LG Marquee is right on par w/ battery life & performance.

In addition, with the official release of Gingerbread right around the corner for the Optimus Black
http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-finally-ready-release-optimus-gingerbread-update-europe

It can only mean more tweaks are on the way for the LG Marquee.

dishe
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
From the research I've done myself on comparing the Optimus Black w/ the Lg Marquee
http://android.modaco.com/topic/341461-optimus-black-battery-life/

It seems the LG Marquee is right on par w/ battery life & performance.

In addition, with the official release of Gingerbread right around the corner for the Optimus Black
http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-finally-ready-release-optimus-gingerbread-update-europe

It can only mean more tweaks are on the way for the LG Marquee.

True, Gingerbread for the Optimus Black will bring tons of new information to the table, as well as tweaks and an entire user base that will more closely resemble what you have.

I'm curious to see how that goes. And when the Transform Ultra comes out, I intend to do some serious comparisons between the two. Either way, the budget Android handset market is heating up!

dishe
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
EDIT: deleted follow up post comparing Transform Ultra to Marquee.

nosajs
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
By the way, in case you haven't seen this yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TLBztgdj1o

thanks Dishe (aka, king of hijacking threads) for keeping this thread on topic....

dishe
11-16-2011, 12:42 PM
thanks Dishe (aka, king of hijacking threads) for keeping this thread on topic....

Hardy Har har. I took it back, man. It was actually extremely relevant to the conversation here and what I had been talking about (Marquee versus other budget handsets, I had even mentioned wanting to compare these two in the last post), but if its going to provoke ill will and aggravation, I humbly remove it and take it back.

But thanks for quoting it in your post and bringing it back for everyone to see, I guess.

cruiserandmax
11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I finally got to see/use this phone in a Sprint store today. As folks have mentioned the default launcher is not as smooth as the Optimus. Suprisingly I was able to access the market and download onto the phone in the store so I put Launcher Pro on it, and as some have suggested, it became BUTTERY smooth! It actually was much faster and smoother than my Optimus S!

Also the screen on this thing is amazing- super sharp, bright, and fantastic contrast (this is all in comparison to my Optimus S). The combination of all this on a larger screen size made think it would be great for watching movies. Netflix should rock on this! I shot some stills and video with the camera and was equally impressed. The dedicated camera button functioned great- especially liked the ability to press and hold to lock focus, then release to shoot.

Now I'm pretty fired up to get this phone- I just need to find a good off contract price.

dishe
11-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I finally got to see/use this phone in a Sprint store today. As folks have mentioned the default launcher is not as smooth as the Optimus. Suprisingly I was able to access the market and download onto the phone in the store so I put Launcher Pro on it, and as some have suggested, it became BUTTERY smooth! It actually was much faster and smoother than my Optimus S!

Also the screen on this thing is amazing- super sharp, bright, and fantastic contrast (this is all in comparison to my Optimus S). The combination of all this on a larger screen size made think it would be great for watching movies. Netflix should rock on this! I shot some stills and video with the camera and was equally impressed. The dedicated camera button functioned great- especially liked the ability to press and hold to lock focus, then release to shoot.

Now I'm pretty fired up to get this phone- I just need to find a good off contract price.

That's great to hear! I'm itching to try it with an aftermarket launcher!

Meanwhile, have you noticed it is now gone from the Sprint website? Not sure what that means...

dishe
11-21-2011, 11:14 AM
BTW- apparently is not only missing from the website now, but corporate stores are saying they won't carry it.

http://techcitement.com/mobile/did-sprint-lose-the-lg-marquee/#.TsqUeWMk6dA

Weird, right?

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.