PDA

View Full Version : Airave newbie: wants to be a router?

monkeyboy
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Just now taking delivery of an Airave/Airvana...

but I don't quite understand the Internet connection that it wants...
the UG says to put it between the modem (cable modem) and whatever routers, PCs...

is the Airvana trying to act as a NAT/router? does it have to be? isn't it going to double NAT?

I really don't want the Airvana to be my router... I have my own (thanks)...
can't I just attach the Airvana behind my existing NAT box?

Dan
10-13-2010, 10:20 PM
You can put it past your router. Sprint apparently did this so the airvana device would take the bandwidth it needed and give the remainder to your network. The airvana device has a much slower cap then some connections, killing the speeds of "wideband" internet.

I had the modem > airave > router setup, till an airave tech suggested that I do it

Modem > Router > Airave. If you do it this way, any hard resets you may have to do will only affect your airave, not your data connection to everything.

monkeyboy
10-14-2010, 12:05 AM
You can put it past your router.Great... that's what I'll try... I gather that some people have had problems with this but it may be that their router didn't let through all the needed ports...

But I'm also curious about the consequences of making the Airvana the "first" router but then putting the router you have "behind" the Airvana. Won't that produce a "double NAT" setup, which itself makes problems... and of course wouldn't let your existing network benefit from the real IP address you get from your ISP... right?

for example, I do my own "dynamic DNS" so that I can talk to my home machines from anywhere on the Internet... and my Slingbox is tied to this dynamic IP as well (which get a name in my domain that tracks the dynamic IP). I seriously doubt any of this would work with Airvana as the "first router"...

bretski
10-14-2010, 08:25 AM
For your setup: If your router has DMZ capability, I would put the Airave in the DMZ. Otherwise, put it behind your router. I wouldn't trust the Airave to be able to handle the device setup you have...

mrvid
10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
If you have ATT Uverse it has to be before the tower ATT provides for your service.

Pokerpot
10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I wish I had ATT Uverse... Time warner cable sucks b.

4G_4ME
10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a combo router/DSL modem and I too didn't really see a way to rig things the way the manual said I should... so I just hooked it onto my home network (on the cheapo 10/100 Ether switch) like any other wired gizmo and it works just fine.

Now I don't really pound my home ADSL (3000KB down, 768KB up), so maybe that is why it works.

I can understand their desire to have the thing be "first" so it can have the best access, but I did not need it.

I have the "2nd generation" Airave, the "Airvana".

I did hook a PC to the LAN port on the Airvana and accessed the web interface at http://192.168.17.1, used the default user/password in the manual and went in and looked around - a lot of the usual "home router" features in there, but I wasn't going to need any of them.

I did log into my Sprint web account and set the phone numbers for just the phones on my plan to keep any neighbors from using my bandwidth if their phones happened to be in range of my Airvana.

4G_4ME
10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Now I don't really pound my home ADSL (3000KB down, 768KB up), so maybe that is why it works.

Eh... posting too late at night.

That should be 3000Kb down, 768Kb up.

Bits per second, not bytes per second.

monkeyboy
10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
any speculation as to any 'interaction' between an Airave (Airvana) and a repeater (WiEx Zboost) that are within 30 feet of each other?

I suppose I should disconnect my repeater...

Dan
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
any speculation as to any 'interaction' between an Airave (Airvana) and a repeater (WiEx Zboost) that are within 30 feet of each other?

I suppose I should disconnect my repeater...

The phone should just go for the stronger signal. If the towers near you aren't 3G and the airave is, you might want to turn the repeater off for 3G coverage.

You could, I suppose, still use the repeater, but have it take in the signal from the airave and broadcast it elsewhere in your building / property. This would be more beneficial though in a large building or a more rural area with the airave being the only source for Sprint service.

monkeyboy
10-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Our Airave/Airvana finally is working, after 1 week+ of futzing with Sprint support... got a ticket issued after 6+ calls, back and forth with power cycling, resets, etc... took nearly 72 hours for a response to the ticket, the agent re-provisioned the line, and now it seems to work... hopefully for the duration...

Signal is still not strong everywhere, so I requested the power boost... we'll see... But signal does now reach former deadzones, so that much is an improvement...

Dan
10-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Glad to hear that things are improving for you. It is the "joy" of beta testing, and I think you were aware that it was basically being beta tested by the 1st users (even if Sprint will not say so.)

I think, and this is just my opinion, that the 3G device will be great once all of the bugs are worked out. Sprint certainly can't test every possible condition on a limited "employees only" beta testing, it would have just been nice for Sprint to have let customers know that its still in its "testing" phase.

FixManTx
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
If for some reason you must put the Airvana ahead of your router/switch, you might need to "un-cap" the upload speed. When mine arrived the upload was set at something like 3mbps, but since I have mine behind my router it wasn't a concern. If you don't already have a router, the Airvana makes a pretty decent basic home router. In any case, opening up the bandwidth is fairly simple: log into the Airvana's GUI, go to the "advanced" tab then select "QoS Setup". If you don't need to use QoS, then simply uncheck the box next to "Turn Internet Access QoS On". If you need to keep QoS running, then you will need to change the "Uplink bandwidth: maximum" value to match your upload speed.
If you have the same user manual I got, there is no mention of this setting.

monkeyboy
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM
thanks...
indeed it would really help to have a much better manual detailing what the router is capable of... we would absolutely require port forwarding, for one...dmz would be nice too...

blueshift
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Not only do I have my airave (Airvana unit) behind the router, I have the router pointed to OpenDNS and the Google public DNS servers. And everything is sooooo much faster that way. My android phone even connects to the Airave network faster.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.