PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to clean "bad ESN"?

bball1011
09-18-2010, 09:11 AM
My sister just let herself get craigslist scammed and got a Samsung Moment without checking to see if the ESN was clean and it ended up being still "active" on someone else's account.

She has had no success getting a reply from the people she bought it from on craigslist and it turns out that the people did not pay their bill and got their service canceled. Obviously Sprint will not activate the phone on her account.

So, my question is if there is any way to somehow maybe change the Moment's ESN to clear it or something else be done so that my sister can activate the phone on her account? Thanks.

C Dissonance
09-18-2010, 09:28 AM
There is a way to change the ESN of a phone but it is complicated and the method varies for each phone (so it may not be possible for the Moment currently or ever). I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind bricking the phone then google QPST and see what you can find out.

I think her best bet though, is to resell the phone to somebody else (maybe one of the smaller CDMA carriers can reflash it for their network). That way she can get some of her money back to put towards a new phone.

Good luck!

rambo47
09-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Nope. Nothing for it but to get the original account holder to get Sprint to release it. Even that is no guarantee as in many cases once a phone is blacklisted Sprint won't remove that blacklisting.

A couple other reasons for blacklisting are:
* Phones reported stolen.
* Phones registered to an account suspended for non-payment.

Sometimes a phone will be sold with a clean ESN and the next day the seller will report it stolen or lost in order to file an insurance claim. eBay is another hotspot for selling these dirty ESN phones without disclosing this fact. About the only thing a blacklisted phone is good for is flashing to an alternate carrier like Cricket.

rambo47
09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
There is a way to change the ESN of a phone but it is complicated and the method varies for each phone (so it may not be possible for the Moment currently or ever). I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind bricking the phone then google QPST and see what you can find out.

I think her best bet though, is to resell the phone to somebody else (maybe one of the smaller CDMA carriers can reflash it for their network). That way she can get some of her money back to put towards a new phone.

Good luck!

I believe that at least in the U.S., changing the ESN of a phone is illegal. This is definitely a "black hat" kind of sketchy operation. Anyway, Sprint won't activate a handset if the ESN is not in their data base as having been originally sold by Sprint, so just picking a random number won't help.

C Dissonance
09-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I believe that at least in the U.S., changing the ESN of a phone is illegal. This is definitely a "black hat" kind of sketchy operation. Anyway, Sprint won't activate a handset if the ESN is not in their data base as having been originally sold by Sprint, so just picking a random number won't help.

Well I'm certainly not a lawyer, and you could be right about it being illegal.
However I would think that if I owned the phone that I could do whatever I wanted to it (like flashing an unsupported ROM for example) as long as I'm not going to steal service with it.

Say you switched the ESN of a phone that you own to the ESN of another phone that you own and then pay FULL price for all services used. In this case I don't think any laws would be broken. I'm sure it's against Sprint's TOS and they can probably kick you off the network if they found out, but I think that would be it.

Edit: Scratch all that, it looks like it is illegal, or at least the FCC says it is (of course they don't even know the laws that govern them so... :p )

rambo47
09-18-2010, 10:02 AM
It *shouldn't* be illegal to do it the way you say, but unfortunately most of the folks who have this software are using it to steal services or run scams. Cloning ESNs to have multiple devices with the same id is a common one. So the laws have been written with this in mind and are blanket policies.

If you're looking for an intelligent, well thought-out law, and you're looking for it in the U.S., brother you're looking in the wrong place!

ajac
09-18-2010, 10:07 AM
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/cellphonefraud.html

bball1011
09-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Dang it...reading through the posts, I was thinking what if my sister took one of her spare phones,which do have a clean ESN, and could somehow put the clean ESN on the bad ESN phone...oh well

Dan
09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Dang it...reading through the posts, I was thinking what if my sister took one of her spare phones,which do have a clean ESN, and could somehow put the clean ESN on the bad ESN phone...oh well

No, you can't do that legally, and discussing it (as its illegal) is not something we do on here.

:wavey:

bball1011
09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh no, I don't wanna break the law lol I was looking to see if it could be done by Sprint somehow :)

ajac
09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
No, you can't do that legally, and discussing it (as its illegal) is not something we do on here.

:wavey:

one reason I posted that link cloning is serious people and can get not just you in trouble forums in trouble FCC policies it like cops police roads after a football game

bball1011
09-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Sorry guys...someone can close this cuz I don't wanna get any one in trouble lol

Dan
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
one reason I posted that link cloning is serious people and can get not just you in trouble forums in trouble FCC policies it like cops police roads after a football game

I gave her info, privately, about what can be done with the device from a legal standpoint.

Many people who think it is perfectly alright to clone an ESN seem to question if the FCC has the authority to charge a person caught violating the law. While they *may* give a pass to someone caught, they can lay federal charges against violators.

When you can legally flash a device to work on Cricket and Metro PCS as one option, a "Bad ESN" device can have some usefulness. It likely has less value then a "Good" Sprint device, but its not a paperweight.

Dan
09-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Since you requested it..........

Closed

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.