PDA

View Full Version : Micro USB port loose and not charging.

keithert
07-12-2010, 09:17 AM
As of a couple days ago the Micro USB charging port on my EVO has gotten loose and will not work unless I jiggle it just right. I did a search here but didn't find any info about it. A general internet search turned up that this is a somewhat common issue and that the port itself cannot be changed by a repair shop. Also HTC was not treating this as a warranty defect. What are my options for trying to send it in under warranty? I do have the TEP plan but I'd hate to have to pay the $100 deductible for something like this that is a weak point on the phone. Plus can't you only have a phone replaced once a year under the plan? If this is a common problem what's to say the replacement phone won't break too in another month! I do have an external charger and multiple batteries so it looks like I'll be charging them up and carrying extra batteries.

boomhower
07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Unless you damaged it Sprint will replace it as a warranty with no deductable. If you are innocent of any wrong doing do not take no for an answer.

TEP gives you three replacements a year.

slopokdave
07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Are you sure its not the cable?

Check the tip on your cable which plugs into your phone, make sure its not slightly bent. If its slightly bent, the two little prongs will not stick up, and will not hold the cable into your phone.

bluegrass
07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I just had this problem with a year old phone didnt have Ins.told me that it couldnt be fixed but would sell me one for $100 but didnt say what kind it would be ....had an old phone one at home and just had the number switched .I have 6 months before I can get the full upgrade price on a new phone

keithert
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
It happens with every cable I've tried. The port itself is actually loose in the phone. If I put downward pressure on the cord it will work.

emtownsend
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
I'd take it back to your local Sprint shop. They should swap it right out. If not, you may need to find another more responsive shop, but I bet they will.
Did you call HTC yourself? A long time ago, I had a problem with a Palm Treo 755 that did not have insurance. It broke after a short time and Sprint would not replace it. I called Palm as it was under a 1 year warranty, but they tried SO hard to deny my claim as they wanted Sprint to take care of it. I eventually got it replaced, but I had to spend many hours on the phone and writing to Palm just to get them to honor their warranty. HTC might want Sprint to take the hit too, dunno, just have to call and try.

slopokdave
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
It happens with every cable I've tried. The port itself is actually loose in the phone. If I put downward pressure on the cord it will work.

Gotcha :)

keithert
07-13-2010, 06:25 AM
I stopped at a Sprint store last night and they said to take it to a repair center. I'll do that soon.

keithert
07-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I went to a service center today. They ordered a new phone and mine will be replaced under warranty. The tech did say that the power port is attached to the motherboard and can't be replaced. He claimed this was his first EVO problem.

keithert
07-16-2010, 07:12 AM
I picked up the replacement phone yesterday. I does work better. It didn't come in the factory packaging, just a bubble wrap envelope. The tech had to put my battery and memory card into it. It doesn't appear to be a refurbished phone. It has a hardware version of 0003.

Reinstalling the apps has gone pretty well. I used Mybackup on the old phone. I had to get the Pro version to restore everything. Some of the paid apps didn't restore properly but I was able to re-download them from the app store at no charge. I now for the most part have the new phone set up like the old phone was. Not as seamless of a process as my Centro had though.

palipimpn
01-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I hate to bring up an old thread, but now I am having this problem with my Evo. I noticed today that my usb port is loose. It charges fine if I just keep it laid down, but if I'm using it while plugged it, then it the charging will be on and off.

Since I'm still covered under the 1-year warranty, I guess I need to find a Sprint repair center now?? How long will it take to fix? How long will I be without my phone?

Duffman
01-27-2011, 08:16 PM
They will not fix your phone, they will replace it.

shoocream
02-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Same problem...My phone wouldn't charge!!! HTC needs to fix the usb port design.

bjbarr
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I hate to bring up an old thread, but now I am having this problem with my Evo. I noticed today that my usb port is loose. It charges fine if I just keep it laid down, but if I'm using it while plugged it, then it the charging will be on and off.

Since I'm still covered under the 1-year warranty, I guess I need to find a Sprint repair center now?? How long will it take to fix? How long will I be without my phone?

Mine did the same thing but mine was the charging cable. They replaced the cable and it is now charging better now than it did on launch day so from that it appears I have had a cable problem from day one so get the cable checked first, it may save a headache of having to do a backup and install. If it happens to do it again I will definietly raise a rucuss.
If you have insurance they will replace it there in the store. Well, generally they will especially if it is a corporate store. If they end up shipping it to you it may take a couple of days. That is why it is better to take it to a store first and not call Asurion. (Sprint's insurance carrier).

Duffman
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Known issue. As long as you have not damaged it, Sprint will replace the phone. There were some that the ports would lift off the motherboard due to poor soldering.

zuberx6
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Mine was replaced if you have the insurance on your phone it makes it a pretty simple exchange

TonyTurboII
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Same problem...My phone wouldn't charge!!! HTC needs to fix the usb port design.

I've had my phone for months with no indication of the port going loose.

I plug and unplug it very carefully, treating it like an expensive piece of electronics, not like the rope of a lawnmower i'm trying to start.

I also do not talk or text on it while it is charging so there is no extra stress on the port.

Duffman
02-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Good for you. But this problem is not related to misuse. The damage looks different.

TonyTurboII
02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Im well aware of what the damage looks like, I see it multiple times a day.

Duffman
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Im well aware of what the damage looks like, I see it multiple times a day.

So you would be able to tell the difference if the OP brought it in? And you have seen the notice as well with pictures illustrating the difference? So why insinuate that the OP did otherwise? Or perhaps I read you wrong in which case you have my apology.

TonyTurboII
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Ive seen the pictures, one looking like the port has been ripped from the board and all of the contacts are destroyed, and the other where it looks as if the port is simply coming loose, and all of the solder points are perfectly domed and don't look touched.

Hell, mine could have the faulty design and I would never know because I baby it.

I was simply implying not every one of these are a faulty design, a good portion are straight up abuse.

Duffman
02-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Then we agree and you have my sincere apology for reading too much into your post.

shoocream
02-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Ok so I paid $35 to get my phone replaced and now I have a refurbished phone with a dead pixel! Not happy at all. Wonder if they can give me a refurbished epic 4g instead. Tired of having problems with HTC phones since touch pro.

Duffman
02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Ok so I paid $35 to get my phone replaced and now I have a refurbished phone with a dead pixel! Not happy at all. Wonder if they can give me a refurbished epic 4g instead. Tired of having problems with HTC phones since touch pro.
Nah.

Adondo
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I work on the stuff every day. (Not cell phones, but two-way radios, e.g. police/fire/public safety systems)

The port is an SMD device. (Surface Mount Device) It's soldered directly to the circuit board using hot air and a special solder paste. What happens is the solder has broken away, allowing the port piece to lift up. There may be a few points connected, and most such port devices have a shield tab(s) to keep them in place. That's why holding it a certain way makes it work, you're remaking the broken connections. Eventually, it'll break off completely and it's game over.

Any repair place that's worthy can re-solder it. There is a but and however though; sometimes the board traces can pull away, making repairs harder, or if bad enough, impossible. At any rate, it takes pretty much a $2,500 SMD rework soldering station to get the job done. I've used epoxy to repair the lifted traces and reattach pieces like that, but sometimes it's a last ditch effort. It needs to be done under magnification too.

I like TonyTurboII's "pulling the lawnmower rope" analogy. I've always made sure to gently pull straight out on the connector, and to try to prevent sideways rocking while it's plugged in. That means sideways to the sides of the phone as well as towards and away from you. It is best, in fact, to unplug the charging cord while using the phone because it's always going to torque the connector around by the weight of the cord itself if nothing else. Charge it, unplug it, use it. If the battery is low, then wait 'til later to update your Facebook. :)

TonyTurboII
02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I wish I had a nice soldering station.

People expect me to perform miracles with a ****ty $20 radio shack soldering iron.

Not to mention trying to repair an EVO is a royal pain since the vibration motor is about 1/8th of an inch from the back of the MicroSD port.

Adondo
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I wish I had a nice soldering station.

People expect me to perform miracles with a ****ty $20 radio shack soldering iron.

Especially when even the tiniest Weller iron's tip still spans 3 pins of an SMD chip. Ha ha, you can come borrow mine ours in a while. It's a Xytronic 988D with all the extras. Love those SMD components. :headbang2

stevecasey
02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I had the same issue.
1) Sprint store sent me to another store with repair center.
2) That store sent me back to where I purchased the phone (RadioShack)
3) RadioShack tried a bunch of cables etc....intermittently got it to work...but sent me to HTC for warranty replacement try. They would not exchange.
4) Back to the Sprint store with repair center. They said they could probably replace for $35 diagnostic charge. (I don't buy the insurance). They said if it was a "known issue" the diagnostic charge would be waived. I agreed to pay the fee, they exchanged for a refurb...oh..and then finally said it WAS a known issue, but I would still have to pay the fee.
Not sure that I can agree with a fee to get an exchange that they acknowledge is a known issue and a covered under manufacturers' warranty.
They flatly stated...well you can send it back to HTC and wait 4 weeks for a return for free..or pay us the money and get it exchanged today. Ultimately that is what I did.

TonyTurboII
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Especially when even the tiniest Weller iron's tip still spans 3 pins of an SMD chip. Ha ha, you can come borrow mine ours in a while. It's a Xytronic 988D with all the extras. Love those SMD components. :headbang2

I was thinking about getting one of these and taking it to work to make my job easier.

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-Digital-Rework-Soldering-Station/dp/B003TC8EQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297132897&sr=8-2

Duffman
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Sad if you have to provide your own tools. You have my respect for your dedication.

Adondo
02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I was thinking about getting one of these and taking it to work to make my job easier.

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-Digital-Rework-Soldering-Station/dp/B003TC8EQS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297132897&sr=8-2

Looks like a pretty good deal, but you'll probably want one with a vacuum pump and desoldering tool for desoldering conventional components. The 988D does that.

Either way, be sure to order a tube each of Amtech NC-559-V2 soldering paste, and NC-559-V2-TF desoldering paste. The solder paste is weird, the little tube weighs quadruple what you'd expect since it's full of dissolved metal particles. Practice removing/installing a few SMD IC's on an old circuit board to get the technique down pat.

As for the story above about the repair center wanting a fee for swapping with a refurb, and the alternative of ''send it off to HTC for weeks to get it done for free'' sounds like blackmail to me.

I can see them wanting to do a refurb swap as tearing down the Evo to get to the offending USB socket will be time consuming. You can see what it takes to get that deep into it here: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC-Evo-4G-Teardown/2979/1

On the second page you can see the surface mounted USB and HDMI sockets. The only thing holding them to the board are the shield tabs on each side. That connection is only as strong as the circuit board's trace material. The shield tabs almost NEVER break, it's the traces that lift up from the board, or a crappy solder job gives up and separates. Now you see why to NOT swing the Evo around by its charging/data cord. ;)

andrewhaley
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Just wrap up the cord around the phone.

I have the same problem too I tripped over the cord and the phone when't flying.

Then I tryed it and it worked. You might want to get another cable though:haha:

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.