PDA

View Full Version : NVP Discount Policy Change Effective 8/1/2010

chokaay
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Credit goes to "overtheair" @ Hofo. Didn't see it posted here, but thought this was important enough to inform SU members:

Discount policy change effective 8/1/2010

This announcement appeared on my July invoice:

Discount Policy Change Notice: Effective 8/1/10, employee/member discounts will no longer apply to add-on services with a monthly recurring charge of $29.99 or less. Examples include, but are not limited to, Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data Premier

If by "employee/member discounts" they mean the 10-27% discounts many of us receive for being a credit union member, having insurance with Allstate, working for UPS, etc. ... this sucks! :ohcrap:

(source (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1657465-Discount-policy-change-effective-8-1-2010))

Mish
07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Is your bill $29.99 or less? I was on the phone with sprint TODAY seeing if I could get a discount (used to get 10% off my bill for upgrading years ago), and they were asking me if where I worked to see if I qualify... to which was a sad no :(. But that's okay I'm in love with my evo and will not give it up! :D

chokaay
07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Is your bill $29.99 or less? I was on the phone with sprint TODAY seeing if I could get a discount (used to get 10% off my bill for upgrading years ago), and they were asking me if where I worked to see if I qualify... to which was a sad no :(. But that's okay I'm in love with my evo and will not give it up! :D

In the source thread, people said that this means NVP Discounts will only apply to the main plan (or primary line), and all additional lines (for family plans), text messaging add-ons, data add-ons, EVO upcharge, TEP, Roadside Assistance, etc (all of which cost <$29.99/mo) will NOT be discounted anymore.

In other words, a 5-lined ED Family Plan 1500 with 27% NVP Discount would now cost the same as a 5-lined EPRP Family Plan 1600...

Chuque
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
guess this explains why the $10 EVO fee wasn't discounted .... this will suck for some legacy plan holders with a myriad of add ons.

Mish
07-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Ouch, yeah I gotcha now... Sure sounds like what you were saying then... I'm sorry :(

fastzipperus
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Its another way for Sprint to push people towards everything plans.

Duffman
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Hope they don't take my 100% discount away! :lol:

Chuque
07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
In the source thread, people said that this means NVP Discounts will only apply to the main plan (or primary line), and all additional lines (for family plans), text messaging add-ons, data add-ons, EVO upcharge, TEP, Roadside Assistance, etc (all of which cost <$29.99/mo) will NOT be discounted anymore.

In other words, a 5-lined ED Family Plan 1500 with 27% NVP Discount would now cost the same as a 5-lined EPRP Family Plan 1600...

Is an additional line considered an add-on service? interesting...

bruinhoo
07-06-2010, 02:58 PM

The one exception would be that for legacy plan holders, the paid BIS pack or the PRO Pack would still be eligible for NVP discounts, as they cost $30/month.

HPLouis
07-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Is an additional line considered an add-on service? interesting...

I didn't think an additional line of service was an add-on (but I could be wrong). I guess I'll see my bill go up an additional $5.00 if they don't discount my third line.

Henry

YPG
07-06-2010, 03:26 PM
So would this be considered a change to the T&C's to get out of contract? I would think so.

HPLouis
07-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Nah, discounts never applied to the contract. It's like an add-on, they can change anytime.

Henry

jessep28
07-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Sprint offers a 10% discount on most plans for being a credit union member. If you're not a member of a credit union, I don't see why you couldn't open a savings account at one with just a minimum deposit. That should get you in the door.

http://www.cusaver.com/

Dan
07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
So would this be considered a change to the T&C's to get out of contract? I would think so.

No, as your discount from working at a particular company can be removed simply because Sprint no longer has a discount for that company. Sprint gets to choose what the discount applies to, like when they stopped discounting TEP.

Does it suck? Yes. Will Sprint possibly let people go ETF free because of it? Yes. Will they have to? No.

Mish
07-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Sprint offers a 10% discount on most plans for being a credit union member. If you're not a member of a credit union, I don't see why you couldn't open a savings account at one with just a minimum deposit. That should get you in the door.

http://www.cusaver.com/

Aren't you a crafty one!! :D I guess it'll be a great thing in the long run.. not only will I HAVE to save money in a savings account... BUT I'll save money on my phone bill!!! I could hug ya for that so simple but brilliant thought!!! :hee:

Cam
07-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I do not think that they are stackable. If you already getting one NVP discount they you cannot add another discount. Currently I get 25% off my bill per month.

dssproxy
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I do not think that they are stackable. If you already getting one NVP discount they you cannot add another discount. Currently I get 25% off my bill per month.
I have 3 Sero 500 Lines all getting a 20% Discount. Will this mean only my primary will get the discount?

bruinhoo
07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I have 3 Sero 500 Lines all getting a 20% Discount. Will this mean only my primary will get the discount?

Separate individual plans should keep their respective NVP discounts, even if they are associated with one account. Of course, your SERO plans are not even supposed to have that 20%, so I'll defer to YMMV.

Dan
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
All I see is that if your "attachable" features are less than $29.99 each, you wont get any discounts on them. $15 data add on, $10 text add-on, etc will no longer be discounted and you will pay full price for them.

Is it a way for Sprint to "encourage" people into an "everything" plan? Quite possibly. Will it generate Sprint more revenues, while increasing customer bills slightly? Certainly. Will many people complain about it? Unlikely. The people that will complain the loudest are those who are members on sites like here, who have been getting retentions deals for years, etc.

I'd bet the vast majority of people will call into customer care when their bill increases and just accept the answer, or simply consider the "Everything" options. Likely the fastest way to get people to move to "Everything" would be to expire all discounted text and data packs, informing people that they can choose to pay $15 for data, $15 for text or simply not have those services while reminding those who are in contract that the ETF will not be waived for an increase in the attachable options.

d3fpo3t
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Aren't you a crafty one!! :D I guess it'll be a great thing in the long run.. not only will I HAVE to save money in a savings account... BUT I'll save money on my phone bill!!! I could hug ya for that so simple but brilliant thought!!! :hee:
Mishy. If you want info on a 25% discount that i get pm me.
On topic. If dan is right than it will be a goos time to haggle and get a cheaper phone :)

Dan
07-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Mishy. If you want info on a 25% discount that i get pm me.
On topic. If dan is right than it will be a goos time to haggle and get a cheaper phone :)

Remember, only "apply" for a discount you are actually entitled to. I recently read on here a "horror story" (cant find it right now) but the end seemed to be that sprint was terminating the persons service after a certain date for taking a NVP discount in what they determined fraudulent ways.

:wavey:

d3fpo3t
07-06-2010, 11:45 PM
D: good thing I live near the company and have a family member that works their just encase they give me crap on how I signed up for it. If so I'd just give them his email and corp id. But I do know another way to get 19% worry free if you are lucky enough to call in and get the Oklahoma (prey sure that's the state) call center granted you meet some easy requirements. Thanks do the heads up Dan and also about the possibility of spint letting people out. That's always the best time to add a line and get a good deal.
Yikes just read the terms of service and sprint could terminate you for enabling root/hardspl/patching/tweaking your phone if they wanted to

KingCoop
07-07-2010, 01:58 AM
It will be interesting to see if Ensemble is strict about this and the people who will slide through the cracks. Even if it doesn't work on add-on lines, at most that is a lost of $5 in most cases. I'm sure we will see an uptick in the amount of credits issued by Account Services to offset this change in the upcoming months.

Thanks for the update.

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
If this actually applies to additional lines on a family plan, it is horrifying! Four additional lines at $20/month each is $80/month. The discount pulls this down to $60/month.

A $20/month rate increase is not chump change.

JeffDTD
07-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Dan is right... if this additional line bit is true, some folks are going to be enraged and i'm positive many of the reps are going to be really at their wits end over it because... well, they can't change it. Its Dan Hesse's "Saviour" of Sprint thats driving this revenue bus, so no amount of credits and whining is going to reverse it in the end. Well, anyway.... if you got your discount on shaky ground... or carry a discount for a job you no longer have... its best to NOT throw any tantrums or raise any questions about the changes :/

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Is it a way for Sprint to "encourage" people into an "everything" plan? Quite possibly.
You may have the entire matter backwards. If sprint announces that additional lines no longer qualify for a corporate discount, this makes Everything plans much less desirable. As I have already pointed out, a $20/month rate increase (for 4 lines, each losing a $5/mo discount) is not chump change.

The best we can hope for is that the corporations who have negotiated such discounts, and their employees, will make clear to Sprint that such dirty accounting tricks will impel them to take their business elsewhere.

JoJo J
07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
AAA members also get a 10% discount.

https://www.bordersrewardsperks.com/offer/index/offerId/30629/uSource/SPOP2

chokaay
07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
You may have the entire matter backwards. If sprint announces that additional lines no longer qualify for a corporate discount, this makes Everything plans much less desirable. As I have already pointed out, a $20/month rate increase (for 4 lines, each losing a $5/mo discount) is not chump change.

The best we can hope for is that the corporations who have negotiated such discounts, and their employees, will make clear to Sprint that such dirty accounting tricks will impel them to take their business elsewhere.

Actually, wouldn't it be a $15/mo increase since lines 1-2 is included in the base plan cost already? (I'd imagine that Sprint can't split them up unless they re-structure the pricing on Everything Plans...) :confused:

And yes, I agree that this NVP policy change is terrible for those of us with Family Plans or Add-Ons (but doesn't affect individual lines with no add-ons... or SERO/EPRP for that matter). A few months ago there was a thread with a discussion about NVP vs. EPRP, and many posters stated with NVP discounts as high as 27%, EPRP was next to useless. I stated that one of the benefits of EPRP I stated was that it offered a bit more "protection" for the customer since the pricing was fixed in contract and couldn't be changed without Sprint kicking the customer off EPRP entirely and letting you out ETF-free... as opposed to just changing/removing the NVP discount (which is separate from the contract) and the customer getting the short end of the stick. Of course some posters didn't believe me (or chose to ignore what I said) at the time, and thought that Sprint would NEVER change/take away their NVP discount and them getting stuck with the "short end of the stick". Well, now EPRP is starting look better, isn't it? (Equivalent to ~27% NVP discount under NEW policy.) :eyeroll:

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Well, now EPRP is starting look better, isn't it?
Yes, definitely.

The EPRP fine print claims that EPRP customers cannot buy phones at retail (e.g., Best Buy, the Shack, or even Sprint's own stores). Is that really true, or does it simply mean that the retailer cannot perform the upgrade on-screen but instead can call Sprint to accomplish the same thing?

chokaay
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
On a side note, an even BETTER method for Sprint saving money is to do a complete audit and re-verification for NVP customers, requiring them to submit proof of employment or membership in order to keep their discount. That way, legit NVP customers won't see a change, but Sprint will eliminate the 30% of so "illegitimate" NVP customers (ones that obtained their NVP discount fraudulantly, or ones that don't work for the company any more and don't "technically" qualify for the NVP discount).

All they have to do is send out a couple million letters/emails to every single NVP customer notifying them to re-verify their employment or membership within 60 days or their discount is going to drop off. At the same time, Sprint should FIX their extremely weak NVP verification system to prevent customers from illegitimately obtaining NVP discounts they don't qualify for (ie: telling a rep to add a 27% discount for a certain company... and having it done without proof of employment does NOT count).

Sure this method may piss some existing customers off (who can't get 27% off their bill that they don't deserve), and they will compain, throw fits, and bash Sprint on the Internet. Sure this method may even "catch" a few legitimate customers that don't read their mail or emails, or whose letter got lost in the mail... however a simple call to Sprint (when they find their NVP discount got dropped) and re-verification of their employment will put it right back on the next billing statement (and if they're nice enough, Sprint's CSR may even credit them for the current month as a coutesy thing).

But by using this method, Sprint can potentially earn a few more million $$$ more per year or so (money that is "rightfully" theirs)... WITHOUT pissing off loyal and "NVP policy-abiding" customers! Not only that, but with this method, Sprint still gives the impression they value their customers, and that they're still the "best value" for the money and care about customer loyalty (at least for legit NVP discount holders)!

Too bad Sprint wasn't smart enough to think up this idea... :frustrate:scratch::Poke::thought:

chokaay
07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, definitely.

The EPRP fine print claims that EPRP customers cannot buy phones at retail (e.g., Best Buy, the Shack, or even Sprint's own stores). Is that really true, or does it simply mean that the retailer cannot perform the upgrade on-screen but instead can call Sprint to accomplish the same thing?

In my experience most places will refuse to touch EPRP/SERO plans. However, I imagine some reps at some 3rd-party authorized dealers may be willing to upgrade you and call it in like they could with SERO.

I don't know if 3rd-party authorized dealers are "locked out" of EPRP/SERO upgrades with this new system though since I haven't upgraded my phones yet, nor have I asked...

adamlee2001GXE
07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
There goes my discounts on my 5PM nights and unlimited incoming. Boooooooooo. You cant touch my free bonus minutes Sprint! :bang:

Edit: Oh, and my Airave. Major Boooooo on Sprint this week.

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
That way, legit NVP customers won't see a change, but Sprint will eliminate the 30% of so "illegitimate" NVP customers (ones that obtained their NVP discount fraudulantly, or ones that don't work for the company any more and don't "technically" qualify for the NVP discount).
So you're suggesting that Sprint cut off the discount to retirees and to those who were "terminated for economic reasons" (Reduction In Force)? In other words, kick people when they're down.

Do you realize that retirees and RIF victims may have been told by their company that the cell phone discount is one of the few perks they can keep? And if that perk is cut off, they will vociferously blame the company for its gratuitous spitefulness. When the company resumes hiring, does it really want that reputation?

chokaay
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
So you're suggesting that Sprint cut off the discount to retirees and to those who were "terminated for economic reasons" (Reduction In Force)? In other words, kick people when they're down.

Do you realize that retirees and RIF victims may have been told by their company that the cell phone discount is one of the few perks they can keep? And if that perk is cut off, they will vociferously blame the company for its gratuitous spitefulness. When the company resumes hiring, does it really want that reputation?

If the company/school they worked for has arrangements for retierees/alumni/etc to keep their NVP discounts, then they wouldn't need to worry since their NVP discount is "legit". And if they don't, then they could always get the 10% off Credit Union/AOL discount, apply for Sprint's "Senior Citizen" discounted plans (if Sprint has any like AT&T and other carriers do), etc... maybe even the AARP or other military or senior citizen organizations have NVP discounts with Sprint!

If Sprint felt like it, they could also be nice and give certain people discounts on a case-by-case basis (ie: $10/24, $20/24, extend their NVP for a certain number of months, etc) when they called in for NVP re-verification. There's a number of ways to legitimately save with Sprint... just because you're "old" or "down" doesn't mean Sprint is OBLIGATED to give discounts to these people (although that would be nice of them to).

But keep in mind that regardless of "PROGRAM A" vs. "PROGRAM B"... retirees, senior citizens, and other current customers without "legit" NVP's are STILL going have to pay more per month... and there will ALWAYS be people complaining about the changes.

It all comes down to the fact that Sprint is a business, and if people can't afford Sprint, then there are other cheaper alternatives to go to as well.

And as for "vociferously blaming" Sprint for cutting off their NVP discount... you do realize that AT&T (after AT&T Wireless died) and Verizon does the same exact thing (and mostly enforces it) right? I don't hear them getting any flak for it (although I completely understand why Sprint would in this case... it's the "if you give a mouse a cookie" syndrome).

C1787GJ
07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I am a member of a credit union, and e-mail sprint and they told me quote.. "We offer 10% discount for the Credit Union member/employee. Since you
are member of Credit Union, you can eligible for 10% employee discount.

Provisioning the employee discount requires the two-year agreement
renewal on the account. Therefore, you will need to renew your two-year
agreement. Please be assured, renewing the agreement due to discount
does not impact the phone's upgrade eligibility. Therefore, your upgrade
eligibility will not be impacted. "

This does not seem right to me, as I have added it to people's accounts in the past.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I am a member of a credit union, and e-mail sprint and they told me quote.. "We offer 10% discount for the Credit Union member/employee. Since you

This does not seem right to me, as I have added it to people's accounts in the past.

This is correct. The 2-Year Renewal rule went into effect a couple months ago. To apply any NVP discounts, you will need to renew your contract for 2 more years... but it will NOT impact your phone upgrade eligibility since that is separate from your contract term.

UALOneKPlus
07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
On a side note, an even BETTER method for Sprint saving money is to do a complete audit and re-verification for NVP customers, requiring them to submit proof of employment or membership in order to keep their discount. That way, legit NVP customers won't see a change, but Sprint will eliminate the 30% of so "illegitimate" NVP customers (ones that obtained their NVP discount fraudulantly, or ones that don't work for the company any more and don't "technically" qualify for the NVP discount).

All they have to do is send out a couple million letters/emails to every single NVP customer notifying them to re-verify their employment or membership within 60 days or their discount is going to drop off. At the same time, Sprint should FIX their extremely weak NVP verification system to prevent customers from illegitimately obtaining NVP discounts they don't qualify for (ie: telling a rep to add a 27% discount for a certain company... and having it done without proof of employment does NOT count).

Sure this method may piss some existing customers off (who can't get 27% off their bill that they don't deserve), and they will compain, throw fits, and bash Sprint on the Internet. Sure this method may even "catch" a few legitimate customers that don't read their mail or emails, or whose letter got lost in the mail... however a simple call to Sprint (when they find their NVP discount got dropped) and re-verification of their employment will put it right back on the next billing statement (and if they're nice enough, Sprint's CSR may even credit them for the current month as a coutesy thing).

But by using this method, Sprint can potentially earn a few more million $$$ more per year or so (money that is "rightfully" theirs)... WITHOUT pissing off loyal and "NVP policy-abiding" customers! Not only that, but with this method, Sprint still gives the impression they value their customers, and that they're still the "best value" for the money and care about customer loyalty (at least for legit NVP discount holders)!

Too bad Sprint wasn't smart enough to think up this idea... :frustrate:scratch::Poke::thought:

LOL.. yea real smart idea.

My family, friends and I are with Sprint because of the NVP discounts. Some of us have moved on to new jobs.

If we were to lose our discounts, then all bets are off. We'd happily look at the other carriers to see what their offerings are.

Our philosophy has always been "why not Sprint"?

If what you propose were to come to pass, the philosophy would be "why Sprint?"

The other carriers have better phones, better networks, etc. Sprint could ill afford to do something like this. The Evo, Wimax, & Samsung Epic aren't enough to hold us to Sprint if the pricing / value was not there. In addition, the hassles of having to reconfirm NVP on a regular basis would be freaking aggravating. Dealing with monthly bills is aggravating enough, if Sprint were to force this on their customers they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Our entire clan of friends & family would bolt to other carriers since there really would be no compelling reason to stick with Sprint.

Honestly, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard yet, in all the years I've been with Sprint.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Honestly, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard yet, in all the years I've been with Sprint.

"Dumb" according to you because it would cost you more than the changes Sprint has already planned for 8/1/10... but maybe not so "dumb" for Sprint. It all depends on who's worth retaining to Sprint... and who they would love to let go... and how that affects the rest of their customer base.

Sprint is trying to convert itself from the "value" carrier (along with T-Mobile) to a "premier" carrier like AT&T and Verizon, and in order to get there they both have to advance technologically as well as "trim the fat". They have already have begun to (and are continuing to) take steps to advance their network and handset selection technologically... and now they're taking steps to "trim the fat" so to speak. The question is... which "fat" do they trim?

Dan
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I would support Sprint doing audits of accounts to determine if the NVP discount was still appropriate.

If you leave a job, you are no longer an employee and therefore no longer entitled to that companies NVP pricing discount. Simply put, the reduction or removal of an NVP discount is NOT grounds for an ETF free contract termination.

I could see Sprint starting on a 3 year "confirmation" campaign to assure that people are on the appropriate NVP discount. 1/3 of all accounts getting an NVP discount would be reviewed each year to ensure the customer is still eligible, and if determined ineligible to contact the customer to put them on the "correct" discount. No contract extension should be required for the discount because you changed jobs though, as it is just another reason for people to choose not to be honest about their current employer.

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Sprint is trying to convert itself from the "value" carrier (along with T-Mobile) to a "premier" carrier like AT&T and Verizon, and in order to get there they both have to advance technologically as well as "trim the fat".
Illogical. The way to become a premier carrier is first to grow the subscriber base and franchise visibility. Only after that can you lay claim to premier status--not the other way around. Firing your most loyal customers is simply lunacy--or perhaps suicide.

Major retailers like Walmart and Costco offer Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile--but not Sprint. (Yes, I know that one Walmart near West Virginia offers Sprint.) Perhaps to you, Walmart and Costco mean "value" rather than "premier," but to Verizon and AT&T, they simply mean more subscribers, and these two premier carriers are happy to have them.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Illogical. The way to become a premier carrier is first to grow the subscriber base and franchise visibility. Only after that can you lay claim to premier status--not the other way around. Firing your most loyal customers is simply lunacy.

Major retailers like Walmart and Costco offer Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile--but not Sprint. (Yes, I know that one Walmart near West Virginia offers Sprint.) Perhaps to you, Walmart and Costco mean "value" rather than "premier," but to Verizon and AT&T, they simply mean more subscribers.

I agree... maybe you should tell Sprint that! :thought:

My suggestion is (IMHO) a reasonable alternative to what Sprint has planned on 8/1/10. I would much prefer if they didn't change the NVP policy at all... but if they're going to do it, then I would rather them follow my suggestion than collectively "punishing" everyone. Just my 2 cents...

Dan
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Illogical. The way to become a premier carrier is first to grow the subscriber base and franchise visibility. Only after that can you lay claim to premier status--not the other way around. Firing your most loyal customers is simply lunacy.

Major retailers like Walmart and Costco offer Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile--but not Sprint. (Yes, I know that one Walmart near West Virginia offers Sprint.) Perhaps to you, Walmart and Costco mean "value" rather than "premier," but to Verizon and AT&T, they simply mean more subscribers.

I think, honestly, Wal-Mart has a contract with AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile where they are the 3 carriers that Wal-Mart sells in store. If T-Mobile is not represented in WV in that area, Wal-Mart doesn't sell T-Mobile and can then bring in Sprint. The same went for "SK Wireless" who dumped T-Mobile and started selling Verizon in Sam's club stores while the "parent company" radio shack started selling T-Mobile.

Now, I think you become a "premier" carrier by making sure that you are making a profit 1st, expand your network and services and let people see what a great value you are. Sprint can watch AT&T and Verizon announce new things like capped data and $10 data requirements for most of their devices while Sprint still has many devices than have no data requirement at all.

The right time to go after AT&T and Verizon is not when your on financially shaky ground, but when you are generating good profits and have the shareholders "blessing" for aggressively spending on advertising, etc.

sprtjnkie
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Sprint is offered here in the KC area at Walmart along with the other 3. Just FYI

Carry on. :)

Chuque
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
I would support Sprint doing audits of accounts to determine if the NVP discount was still appropriate.

While I have no issue with this I am guessing the cost to the company to do this type of audit, and deal with the backlash of all the folks that either fall through the cracks, or just call to complain a lot or just flat out rage/quit over losing their 15-25%, may be a lot more than the money gained.

Also while NVP discounts are common knowledge to forum goers here, and elsewhere (slickdeals etc) we only make up a small percent of their total user base. This type of audit may bring the NVP to the forefront and who knows a great many more people may end up with discounts that people that lose them due to this audit.

Sure that may be fair and/or right, but not profitable.

sfhub
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
This is correct. The 2-Year Renewal rule went into effect a couple months ago. To apply any NVP discounts, you will need to renew your contract for 2 more years... but it will NOT impact your phone upgrade eligibility since that is separate from your contract term.
If they forced you to do a 2-yr contract to get the NVP discount, then you will likely be able to get out of your contract.

DJRider
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM

If you leave a job, you are no longer an employee and therefore no longer entitled to that companies NVP pricing discount. Simply put, the reduction or removal of an NVP discount is NOT grounds for an ETF free contract termination.

I could see Sprint starting on a 3 year "confirmation" campaign to assure that people are on the appropriate NVP discount. 1/3 of all accounts getting an NVP discount would be reviewed each year to ensure the customer is still eligible, and if determined ineligible to contact the customer to put them on the "correct" discount. No contract extension should be required for the discount because you changed jobs though, as it is just another reason for people to choose not to be honest about their current employer.

I agree that they should update accounts every couple of years. I worked for the state where I live, specifically the MTA, which runs transportation around NYC. I know Dan knows what I am referring to because it is run terribly. :td:

My 19% discount was through my union. I retired early due to to cervical problems. However I had an option to become a "union member for life." That consisted of joining their program at $19.95 a year or a one time fee of $250 when you retire. I really had no choice to do this since I was a union official and it would have looked bad if I didn't. :D

My discount stays with me until I die, or if Sprint and the union end their partnership.

However my wife now is eligible for a 23% discount. This would be a pain though since I would have to put the account in her name, and if she left her job I'd have to go through everything again.

I know when I left SERO they did not extend my contract when I changed to the EDFP. I have 4 lines so I guess I will lose the discount on the 2 extra lines. The discount comes to $3.80 per line. I am not going to complain. It is still cheaper then Verizon and AT&T is not an option where I live. Been there, never again.

sprtjnkie
07-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I think that's the point people are missing is that even with the changes, Sprint is still far and away the better priced plan. I get why some are upset about it but really, if you are happy with what you have, couple bucks won't hurt. The grass isn't alway greener on the other side.....

DJRider
07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I think that's the point people are missing is that even with the changes, Sprint is still far and away the better priced plan. I get why some are upset about it but really, if you are happy with what you have, couple bucks won't hurt. The grass isn't alway greener on the other side.....

You are definitely right! People sometimes forget that Sprint starts nights and weekends at 7pm, and I cant even put a price on free mobile to mobile. Then when you compare the plans and prices they are still ahead.

Nothing is perfect but Sprint is my best option so I will suck up the increase.

INTERNET2000
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
This change is definitely a bummer (not a fan of increased costs for the same level of service) ... However, I kind of knew it was bound to happen sooner or later given that AT&T and Verizon are not nearly as generous with corporate discounts.

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I think that's the point people are missing is that even with the changes, Sprint is still far and away the better priced plan.
Not by a longshot. I took a quick look at T-Mobile. Their voice+text+data family plan is $110/mo for 2 lines, and only $5/mo more for the next 3 lines. A total of $125/mo, even without any corporate discounts. This compares with Sprint's $190/mo.

Yes, this requires buying your own phones, but since GSM phones are the worldwide standard, competition keeps pricing down.

And I haven't even looked at US Cellular yet.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
If they forced you to do a 2-yr contract to get the NVP discount, then you will likely be able to get out of your contract.

No you wouldn't. The deal is to either get the NVP discount applied to your account and in return you agree to sign a 2-year renewal... or you don't get the NVP discount and you don't extend your contract. This has nothing to do with getting out of your contract.

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
The deal is to either get the NVP discount applied to your account and in return you agree to sign a 2-year renewal... or you don't get the NVP discount and you don't extend your contract. This has nothing to do with getting out of your contract.
His point is correct. Perhaps you misunderstood? He is saying, correctly, that:

If the NVP discount is now only given in exchange for renewing one's contract, then it thereby becomes part of the contract and cannot be materially altered without violating the contract (and thus giving the customer an opportunity to leave ETF-free).

This is the tradeoff Sprint has apparently chosen to make. If the NVP discount is given "freely," it can be taken away freely. If the NVP discount is given only in exchange for signing or renewing a contract, then it is part of the contract.

This is standard legalese--I'm sure Sprint's lawyers are aware of it, even if they haven't told the reps.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Not by a longshot. I took a quick look at T-Mobile. Their voice+text+data family plan is $110/mo for 2 lines, and only $5/mo more for the next 3 lines. A total of $125/mo, even without any corporate discounts. This compares with Sprint's $190/mo.

Yes, this requires buying your own phones, but since GSM phones are the worldwide standard, competition keeps pricing down.

And I haven't even looked at US Cellular yet.

Actually, their "Even More Plus For Families 1500" gives you 2 lines for $119.99/mo of voice+talk+text. The next 3 lines are actually $30/ea if you want data on each line ($5/ea is only if you want voice-only lines). Phones aren't subsidized, so depending on what phone you want, you could be spending $400/phone or more (which would cost $2,000 for 5 phones).

Therefore, you'd be paying $209.99/mo + tax for a similar 5-lined plan as Sprint's Everything Data 1500 (which only cost $189.96/mo + tax... and that includes 7PM N&W, "Any Mobile, Anytime", GPS, TV, Radio, Sprint Premier, etc).

lgmayka
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Actually, their "Even More Plus For Families 1500" gives you 2 lines for $119.99/mo of voice+talk+text. The next 3 lines are actually $30/ea if you want data on each line ($5/ea is only if you want voice-only lines).
False.

1) Our family doesn't need 1500 minutes--750 is fine. Sprint doesn't have a lower plan for that, but T-Mobile does, for $110/mo.

2) The $30/line you quote is only for smartphones. For feature phones, web access is only $10/line. And I'm not sure how T-Mobile knows whether your phone is smart or not, if it was purchased separately.

Tapping into the worldwide market of GSM phones is a major advantage.

chokaay
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
His point is correct. Perhaps you misunderstood? He is saying, correctly, that:

If the NVP discount is now only given in exchange for renewing one's contract, then it thereby becomes part of the contract and cannot be materially altered without violating the contract (and thus giving the customer an opportunity to leave ETF-free).

This is the tradeoff Sprint has apparently chosen to make. If the NVP discount is given "freely," it can be taken away freely. If the NVP discount is given only in exchange for signing or renewing a contract, then it is part of the contract.

This is standard legalese--I'm sure Sprint's lawyers are aware of it, even if they haven't told the reps.

Honestly, it all depends on what's in the "agreement" you sign with Sprint and whether they have a clause that allows them to change the NVP discount at any time (since the discounts are negotiated with the company, not the individual). For example, since the corporate discount is gained through an agreement with the host company, if the company suddenly goes from 27% to 14%... or even to 0% because the company cancels their agreement with Sprint, then all the respective NVP discounts would reflect this due to the changed agreement with the host company. I'm actually curious how Sprint would implement this and whether the agreement has a provision that allows for this to happen (ie: Discount % is dependant on the host company renewing their agreement with Sprint... or something like that).

And as for a "get out of contract free card"... it may (or may not) work in the future (depending on the terms of the agreement), but I would imagine that it wouldn't work this time since all the T&C for contract renewals that are given out in return for NVP Discounts should have the new T&C already stated on there (if Sprint is smart), which allows Sprint to change the discount policy on 8/1/10 to the new one. I know when T-Mobile USA makes a change to their policy that affects new subscribers, usually their contracts/paperwork has already been changed to reflect the new T&C before word is leaked out of the change...

chokaay
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
False.

1) Our family doesn't need 1500 minutes--750 is fine. Sprint doesn't have a lower plan for that, but T-Mobile does, for $110/mo.

2) The $30/line you quote is only for smartphones. For feature phones, web access is only $10/line. And I'm not sure how T-Mobile knows whether your phone is smart or not, if it was purchased separately.

Tapping into the worldwide market of GSM phones is a major advantage.

1) If you're comparing the 750 minute plan, then you're not comparing Apples to Apples. That's just like equating someone's Kia to someone's Ferrari (both gets the person from point A to B... but one is significantly cheaper). Just because you don't use all the features, doesn't mean the Ferrari dealership is going to charge any cheaper.

However, you do have a point that there are people who would be better suited for a lower minute package than what Sprint is offering. If that's the case, then those people are free to go with the lowest cost provider that suits them. (Which is why for some people, cheaper vehicles are more suited for their use.)

Just don't quote plan pricing for two significantly different plans from two different providers, and pretend they are comparable. That's just misleading.

2) If T-Mobile is doing what AT&T is starting to do, then they are (or have) compiled an IMEI database that will tell them what type of phone you are using. If you sign up for the "Feature Phone" data, and then switch your SIM to a smartphone, then the "Smartphone" data package will replace your "Feature Phone" data package (at least that's how it is on AT&T). On AT&T it doesn't matter what phone you get (even unbranded), it's only a matter of time until the IMEI is added to their database...

Dan
07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
You can debate Sprint pricing Vs T-Mobile pricing in the "rants and debates" area, so as to not take this thread completely off course.

My wife was given a discount by Sprint because she was a student at the time and any place you do a "clinical" rotation at is considered an employer. No "Proof" was needed, just what hospitals you had a clinical at and the rep gave me the "best" discount out of all of them. It happened to be a state hospital, and she gets 19% off for that reason.

She could get a better discount now by using her current employer, but resigning for 2 years to correct who you work for and to get the appropriate discount is just insane. Having said that, I dont think the removal of an erroneous discount would be grounds for an ETF free termination. At most, Sprint should use your "old" contract date to determine if an ETF is applicable.

Here is a thought though. Say you get a Credit Union discount at 10% off and suddenly Sprint stops extending the discount to members, allowing only employees to keep it? How about if Sprint simply stops offering a discount because of the removal of some agreement? Does it make sense that the removal of a discount that Sprint choose to extend should nullify the contract that had nothing to do with said discount?

UALOneKPlus
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM

You're missing the point though. Yes Sprint has the best value, but that value difference gets smaller if the NVP discounts are removed.

Add to that temptation the sweet line up of Droid phones that Verizon has, the AT&T iPhone, and T-Mobile's SIM capability to let you use any GSM phone you want, then the value becomes a minor point to a lot of people.

Sprint's phone line up is getting better, but it still sucks compared to Verizon, and the lack of SIM cards makes GSM networks more attractive.

So people (like myself) may be willing to pay a premium at the competing carriers rather than stick with Sprint without the NVP carrot.

BerryChic
07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
You're missing the point though. Yes Sprint has the best value, but that value difference gets smaller if the NVP discounts are removed.

Add to that temptation the sweet line up of Droid phones that Verizon has, the AT&T iPhone, and T-Mobile's SIM capability to let you use any GSM phone you want, then the value becomes a minor point to a lot of people.

Sprint's phone line up is getting better, but it still sucks compared to Verizon, and the lack of SIM cards makes GSM networks more attractive.

So people (like myself) may be willing to pay a premium at the competing carriers rather than stick with Sprint without the NVP carrot.

Yes, but it is a catch-22. They can't get these 'sweet' line up of phones as a value carrier. They have to compete with the big boys if they want to offer the same phones as the big boys. Bringing in revenue is what's going to do that. These contracts with the phone makers aren't cheap, and VZW has money to throw around to get these sweet deals... the sub's money.

As far as GSM, for me, I take the quality of CDMA over the convenience of a SIM swap on GSM anyday.

chokaay
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM

I think most everyone that is currently getting a NVP discount agrees with these statements.

If Sprint charges close enough to AT&T and Verizon (or exactly the same), then most subscribers probably will switch to either Verizon or AT&T (if they don't mind paying the small difference for a bigger native network, iPhone or Droid phones, etc), or T-Mobile (if they want to save some money), or a cheaper prepaid carrier (if they want to save even more money). The question is how CLOSE is "close enough"? Obviously the answer will be different for everybody... and perhaps Sprint is trying to figure out the answer to this question to (hence all the NVP changes).

So in regards to NVP discount holders (or new customers who want to add a NVP discount), Sprint basically grazed itself in the foot with the 2-year-renewal requirement for adding an NVP discount... and now shot itself in the foot with this new NVP policy starting 8/1/10. Awesome... :frustrate

chokaay
07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Yes, but it is a catch-22. They can't get these 'sweet' line up of phones as a value carrier. They have to compete with the big boys if they want to offer the same phones as the big boys. Bringing in revenue is what's going to do that. These contracts with the phone makers aren't cheap, and VZW has money to throw around to get these sweet deals... the sub's money.

As far as GSM, for me, I take the quality of CDMA over the convenience of a SIM swap on GSM anyday.

I agree that this is the dilemma.

But in my personal opinion, I think Sprint is doing very well balancing their phone line-up vs. plan pricing (with NVP and SERO/EPRP)... until this NVP discount change. I would rather Sprint release only 1-2 "super-awesome" phones a year (ie: EVO 4G, Samsung Galaxy S/pro) and keep the same plan price-point rather than essentially raise the price of its plans and release 3-4 "super-awesome" phones a year.

In it's current state (or actually before Sprint implimented the 2-year-renewal rule for adding NVP discounts), I thought Sprint found a good niche for itself in the cellular wireless industry (as they are significantly cheaper than AT&T and Verizon for what you get, but also have a better phone line-up than T-Mobile and cheaper prepaid carriers). However, now that Sprint is raising its price closer to AT&T and Verizon, and implimenting new policies that are more restrictive and consumer-unfriendly, they are leaving their "middle" niche and trying to compete in an already over-competitive niche with 2 well-established players. Not exactly a smart idea IMHO.

Being innovative and filling a want/need that no one has filled (like with "Everything" all-inclusive plans that give you one best "bang-for-the-buck" price, or "Any Mobile, Anytime") that will attract customers (mostly without a "fight") is the way to go in an ultra-competitive saturated market... NOT trying to be like "everyone else".

sfhub
07-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Honestly, it all depends on what's in the "agreement" you sign with Sprint and whether they have a clause that allows them to change the NVP discount at any time
Actually you cannot have a valid contract where one party agrees to give something in return for the other party agreeing to something, then the first party decides not to provide what they agreed to, regardless of what the "agreement" says. By requiring a new 2yr contract to get the NVP discount, both were incorporated into the contract. Since the said contract is no longer valid, it cannot be enforced, from a legal standpoint, if you wanted to leave. That doesn't mean they won't try to give you a hard time until you reach someone who understands contracts.

Your example of changing a NVP discount amount is not applicable for this case. They are removing the discount (for which you agreed to a new 2yr contract), not changing it to a new percentage for everyone on that NVP discount.

If you agreed to a new 2yr contract to get your NVP discount, you will likely be able to get out of your contract, one way or another.

If they gave the NVP discount with no 2yr contract requirement then they can take it away.

Dan
07-08-2010, 03:03 PM
The wording in the Sprint "junk mail" today:

NVP Employee Discount: Discount available to eligible employees of the company participating in the NVP program. Subject to change according to the company's agreement with Sprint. Available on select plans only for eligible lines. Discount applies to monthly service charges only.

No mention of any removal of discounts for plan add-on's. The wording is likely to be changed to "applies to base plan and attached options at $29.99 or more per month."

lgmayka
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
I am now beginning to think that most of this was a misunderstanding.

My new bill just posted, and a careful reading of the PDF does not show any notice of discount reduction. Someone in another forum noticed the same thing, and called up Sprint, twice. Both times he was assured that the discount reduction applies only to true add-ons, not add-a-lines. He, and I, did not receive any notice because the discount reduction does not apply to us (who have add-a-lines but no true add-ons).

Frankly, I cannot believe that even Sprint would start charging me $15/month more without even telling me.

philpoe
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
But has this taken effect yet? I thought it started 8/1...

My new bill just posted, and a careful reading of the PDF does not show any notice of discount reduction. Someone in another forum noticed the same thing, and called up Sprint, twice. Both times he was assured that the discount reduction applies only to true add-ons, not add-a-lines. He, and I, did not receive any notice because the discount reduction does not apply to us (who have add-a-lines but no true add-ons).

Frankly, I cannot believe that even Sprint would start charging me $15/month more without even telling me.

lgmayka
07-09-2010, 05:06 AM
But has this taken effect yet? I thought it started 8/1...
But that's the point. My next bill won't be issued until well after 8/1. I don't think even Sprint is so callous as not to give advance notice.

looseshoes
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I agree that they should update accounts every couple of years. I worked for the state where I live, specifically the MTA, which runs transportation around NYC. I know Dan knows what I am referring to because it is run terribly.

My 19% discount was through my union. I retired early due to to cervical problems. However I had an option to become a "union member for life." That consisted of joining their program at $19.95 a year or a one time fee of $250 when you retire. I really had no choice to do this since I was a union official and it would have looked bad if I didn't.

My discount stays with me until I die, or if Sprint and the union end their partnership.

However my wife now is eligible for a 23% discount. This would be a pain though since I would have to put the account in her name, and if she left her job I'd have to go through everything again.

I know when I left SERO they did not extend my contract when I changed to the EDFP. I have 4 lines so I guess I will lose the discount on the 2 extra lines. The discount comes to $3.80 per line. I am not going to complain. It is still cheaper then Verizon and AT&T is not an option where I live. Been there, never again.
You may be able to get your wife's 23% without changing account owners. Just this week I went to do the same thing, the guy simply added MY work discount to my wife's account, no questions asked....this was AFTER I told him we wanted to move the account into my name, he said it would just be a lot 'easier' to do it this way.

tracerit
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm currently on an EPRP 500 plan with an EVO. I plan on adding my 23% corporate discount raising my account to an ED 450 with an EVO. this new policy change has no effect on me right?

bruinhoo
07-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm currently on an EPRP 500 plan with an EVO. I plan on adding my 23% corporate discount raising my account to an ED 450 with an EVO. this new policy change has no effect on me right?

It has no effect on you. Plans are discounted as normal with this chance, and the EVO fee is not currently discounted anyways.

Hip2Bsquare
07-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Great, this is going to raise my bill $8.00 per month!

gan911
07-10-2010, 06:48 AM
thats it, shipping parents off to value phone carriers...sprint doesn't offer them anything that they need and just stopped offering everything I need (discounted internet and texts - 7.50/month and 500 free respectively)

loved the fact that sprint was somewhere in the middle in terms of cost, not too cheap and not too expensive with decent phone....i'm not liking this collusion like upward move by all the phone companies...ugh

can't anyone get original anymore?

C Dissonance
07-11-2010, 05:57 PM

My bill posted today and I didn't get the notice either. I wonder what that means.

Maximaboy1
07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't know if this has been resolved yet, but I have a *feeling* based on the wording that Add a lines are NOT affected by this "discount policy change"...I say that only because it's "technically" not an addon...then again, who knows with Sprint...The change, assuming it removes discounts from all "line and package addons" changes my bill by about $4....so it's not TOO bad.

pdhaudio
07-12-2010, 01:38 PM
My bill posted today and I didn't get the notice either. I wonder what that means.

I also got no notice in my latest bill (ending June 22).

I have ED Family 1500 with Discounts on monthly and add a lines, but have few addons.

killerz298
07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Has anyone actually called/emailed about this to get a definitive answer as to what this means for us (not that the CSR will have a clue)? I didn't have any notice in my last bill 6/20 so I will wait and see what I get 7/20.

SLME
07-13-2010, 03:35 AM
If the company/school they worked for has arrangements for retierees/alumni/etc to keep their NVP discounts, then they wouldn't need to worry since their NVP discount is "legit". And if they don't, then they could always get the 10% off Credit Union/AOL discount, apply for Sprint's "Senior Citizen" discounted plans (if Sprint has any like AT&T and other carriers do), etc... maybe even the AARP or other military or senior citizen organizations have NVP discounts with Sprint!

If Sprint felt like it, they could also be nice and give certain people discounts on a case-by-case basis (ie: $10/24, $20/24, extend their NVP for a certain number of months, etc) when they called in for NVP re-verification. There's a number of ways to legitimately save with Sprint... just because you're "old" or "down" doesn't mean Sprint is OBLIGATED to give discounts to these people (although that would be nice of them to).

But keep in mind that regardless of "PROGRAM A" vs. "PROGRAM B"... retirees, senior citizens, and other current customers without "legit" NVP's are STILL going have to pay more per month... and there will ALWAYS be people complaining about the changes.

It all comes down to the fact that Sprint is a business, and if people can't afford Sprint, then there are other cheaper alternatives to go to as well.

And as for "vociferously blaming" Sprint for cutting off their NVP discount... you do realize that AT&T (after AT&T Wireless died) and Verizon does the same exact thing (and mostly enforces it) right? I don't hear them getting any flak for it (although I completely understand why Sprint would in this case... it's the "if you give a mouse a cookie" syndrome).

Sprint does offer a discount to military retirees, and vets with honorable discharges..

The percent is determined by the region the retiree/vet lives in. In Denver my discount is 25%.. And the percentage is set regardless of any contract I have with Sprint.

Sprint already informed me this policy doesn't affect DoD folks...:D

creilly28
07-13-2010, 08:55 PM
I just called customer care. I have a 23% discount through Voluntary Hospitals of America (VHA) on a 5 line family plan. They stated the NVP discount will change on August 1, 2010 but is will not affect the primary line or the added lines. It will only affect add ons under 29.99. We'll see what happens. My bill posted July 7th and there is no mention of an increase.

C Dissonance
07-14-2010, 02:47 AM
I have a family plan without add-ons and I did NOT get the notice, but I checked my brother's bill (he pays for a data add-on @ $7.50/mo) and he DID get the notice.

If my additional lines were affected then I should have been notified also. Besides, the notice seems to clearly indicate only add-on services are affected and not additional lines: "add-on services... Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data Premier."

avidity_2002
07-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Credit goes to "overtheair" @ Hofo. Didn't see it posted here, but thought this was important enough to inform SU members:

Discount policy change effective 8/1/2010

This announcement appeared on my July invoice:

Discount Policy Change Notice: Effective 8/1/10, employee/member discounts will no longer apply to add-on services with a monthly recurring charge of $29.99 or less. Examples include, but are not limited to, Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data Premier

If by "employee/member discounts" they mean the 10-27% discounts many of us receive for being a credit union member, having insurance with Allstate, working for UPS, etc. ... this sucks! :ohcrap:

(source (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1657465-Discount-policy-change-effective-8-1-2010))

I am confused with this policy change. Can somebody help me understand this policy change.

I have an individual line and I pay 39.99$ for the monthly phone line with $5 Sprint Data pack and with all other additional surcharges + tax and 10% Loyalty discount my bill comes to around 45$ per month. I have some free add ons like 3 numbers, Incoming first minute free, Unlimited text messages etc. The recent bill posted online on my account has the above message.

So does that mean those will go away?

My contract will expire in Nov and I am already eligible for 150$ upgrade. So should I go and change my plan to EVO if I am not going to save much?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

creilly28
07-20-2010, 07:50 PM
I believe you will get the 10% discount on your 39.99. If you were getting on the data pack charge, you will no longer get the 10% on that.

Chuque
07-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I am confused with this policy change. Can somebody help me understand this policy change.

I have an individual line and I pay 39.99$ for the monthly phone line with $5 Sprint Data pack and with all other additional surcharges + tax and 10% Loyalty discount my bill comes to around 45$ per month. I have some free add ons like 3 numbers, Incoming first minute free, Unlimited text messages etc. The recent bill posted online on my account has the above message.

So does that mean those will go away?

My contract will expire in Nov and I am already eligible for 150$ upgrade. So should I go and change my plan to EVO if I am not going to save much?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

the only change you'll see is you will no longer get 10% off the $5 data pack ... so your bill will go up by 50 cents ...

avidity_2002
07-21-2010, 02:48 AM
the only change you'll see is you will no longer get 10% off the $5 data pack ... so your bill will go up by 50 cents ...

Ok. Thank you. I think I am only getting 10% on the 39.99$ and even if it does have any 10% charge on 5$ add on and it increases by 50 cents I think I can live with that 50 cents increase...

Thank you to all those who replied to my thread and helped me understand this.

ericmn1
07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
For what its worth someone who works at Sprint posted a link to a copy of the the Sprint playbook over at Howard Forums that clearly shows that add-a-lines will be effected on 8-27-10. Below is the link to the info posted. Hopefully it turns out to not be accurate as I have a 5 line family plan, but it looks fairly legit to me.

http://www.sdx-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/playbook_6.jpg

pileosnafu
07-21-2010, 10:51 PM
She could get a better discount now by using her current employer, but resigning for 2 years to correct who you work for and to get the appropriate discount is just insane. Having said that, I dont think the removal of an erroneous discount would be grounds for an ETF free termination. At most, Sprint should use your "old" contract date to determine if an ETF is applicable.

Changing your NVP discount does not change your contract, or require a new 2 year if you ALREADY have a VALID NVP discount.

Dan
07-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Changing your NVP discount does not change your contract, or require a new 2 year if you ALREADY have a VALID NVP discount.

I should like to see that sprint policy in writing. Their are too many reps who are "renewal happy" and will use the change in discount to get a contract renewal even if its not required. Being able to direct them to the proper policy would be quite useful!

philpoe
07-22-2010, 06:54 AM
What's interesting in the playbook is that add-a-lines of $9.99 are no longer discounted, but that implies that $19.99 (ED plans) and greater (Simply Everything) will be discounted. I guess EPRP plans are moot since they're not discounted anyway.

For what its worth someone who works at Sprint posted a link to a copy of the the Sprint playbook over at Howard Forums that clearly shows that add-a-lines will be effected on 8-27-10. Below is the link to the info posted. Hopefully it turns out to not be accurate as I have a 5 line family plan, but it looks fairly legit to me.

Duffman
07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I should like to see that sprint policy in writing. Their are too many reps who are "renewal happy" and will use the change in discount to get a contract renewal even if its not required. Being able to direct them to the proper policy would be quite useful!
What I don't get is why the software just does not let them renew the contract unless they update the ESN to a new device.

BASHBRO
07-22-2010, 08:40 AM

This is true. I'm actually working these e-mails right now. I just had to go back and fix someones mistake. A customer changed from the Kroger discount to the Wal-Mart discount. The commitment on all 4 lines was renewed and they were about to have a seizure.

Dan
07-22-2010, 09:04 AM
This is true. I'm actually working these e-mails right now. I just had to go back and fix someones mistake. A customer changed from the Kroger discount to the Wal-Mart discount. The commitment on all 4 lines was renewed and they were about to have a seizure.

You can understand then, why a customer would want to be able to see the NVP discount policies in writing so they can point a poorly informed rep of the facts.

I have had, in the past, to direct a rep to pages on sprint.com to show them how the information they were quoting was incorrect. Is this search-able by a consumer, or simply internal policy that is not able to be seen by anyone other than sprint employees?

BASHBRO
07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
You can understand then, why a customer would want to be able to see the NVP discount policies in writing so they can point a poorly informed rep of the facts.

I have had, in the past, to direct a rep to pages on sprint.com to show them how the information they were quoting was incorrect. Is this search-able by a consumer, or simply internal policy that is not able to be seen by anyone other than sprint employees?

I can't find the policy listed anywhere for customers to view. I pretty much agree with you here. It hurts the company and the customer. I find alot of customers that dont know about the two year commitment until its time to accept or decline the offer. It would be nice if everything was out in the open before any contact is even made. I wish Sprint.com didnt suck.

Dan
07-22-2010, 09:23 AM
I can't find the policy listed anywhere for customers to view. I pretty much agree with you here. It hurts the company and the customer. I find alot of customers that dont know about the two year commitment until its time to accept or decline the offer. It would be nice if everything was out in the open before any contact is even made. I wish Sprint.com didnt suck.

I think half the time that the "powers that be" just dont think about what info they share with customers and what is hidden. Their are obviously documents that customers have no business seeing, but things about NVP discounts should be available to everyone.

ericmn1
07-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Initially that was my reaction as well, but if you look at the graphic in more detail it says "Example" so I think they are merely explaining how this will effect add-a-phone lines and used the Talk Share 700 plan for their illustration. I am going with the assumption that starting next month I will lose my 23% discount on my add-a-phone lines, unless I see something else in writing stating that is not the case.

While I am still a fan of Sprint I have to say that between the $10 premium data charge (x3 for the 3 EVO's on my account) for a 4g signal that doesn't exist where I live on losing my discount on my add-a-lines Sprint is really not a whole lot cheaper then some of the other companies as I would be eligible for nearly the same discounts with Verizon and AT&T, with that said I still like Sprint just wish they would stop sticking it to its customers as they seem to be doing lately.

What's interesting in the playbook is that add-a-lines of $9.99 are no longer discounted, but that implies that $19.99 (ED plans) and greater (Simply Everything) will be discounted. I guess EPRP plans are moot since they're not discounted anyway.

big_ole_truck
07-24-2010, 10:01 AM
The smartest way Sprint could implement NVP fairly is by a "going forward" method. Scanning the current customer records and demanding proof of eligibility will alienate the customer base they so want to grow.

C Dissonance
07-24-2010, 11:17 AM

If this is the case then we should be seeing notifications of this change in a few days when people start getting their last bills before it takes affect.

Check out this postcard they sent me a while back:
http://a.imageshack.us/img814/2852/nvpq.jpg

I like the "Requires two-year agreement" and "Unlike other wireless providers, your discount may apply to all lines (not just the primary line)."

Let's hope that doesn't translate into "Give us a 2 year agreement and we'll give you a discount on all lines for a few months"!

thetoad
07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
my July 28th bill just printed, no mention of the NVP discount (IBM) dropping off the 3rd line on my ED1400 plan. (unless they notified us some other way)

BerryChic
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm going to wait to see what happens. I see additional lines and add-ons as two different things but of course I could be wrong.

boxermansr
07-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Just looked at my July bill online and it says;

Discount Policy Change Notice
Effective 8/27/10, discounts will no longer apply to the monthly recurring charge for
Add-a-Phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plans. The primary and
second lines will continue to receive discounts.

sjones
07-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Effective 8/27/10, discounts will no longer apply to the monthly recurring charge for
Add-a-Phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plans. The primary and

I didnt get this notification but this one reason i decided to go back to an employee family plan.

ccchhhrrriiisss
07-28-2010, 10:41 PM

I hope that they don't do this to my plan.

I have a 15% discount...and by excluding that discount from our three add on lines and our add-on packs (data, text, etc...), our bill would suddenly go up about $15-20 per month!

I haven't been notified of any change. We still receive mail from Sprint about policy changes...and we receive online notices too. So far so good. I would be EXTREMELY disappointed at a sudden development that costs us more like this.

With moves like this...and the new $10/month EVO charge...it seems that Sprint is starting to slowly disintegrate the savings that they once represented in comparison with the Big 2 cellular providers.

:icon_smil

lgmayka
07-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Add-a-Phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plans.
The question is whether Sprint's lawyers realize that this material change makes the contracts on those lines cancellable.

chokaay
07-29-2010, 02:28 AM
The question is whether Sprint's lawyers realize that this material change makes the contracts on those lines cancellable.

Even IF they did, think about how many people would actually cancel their add-a-lines (assuming they needed those lines to begin with). If I needed 5 lines, and suddenly instead of $14.99/mo/line (for example) they went to $19.99/mo/line, AND Sprint was kind enough to let me cancel those lines ETF-free... I STILL WOULDN'T!

WHAT ARE MY CHOICES?

To start new individual or family plans that cost $59.99/mo/line or more ($179.99/mo total)?

To start a new Sprint EPRP family plan at $109.99/mo + $14.99/mo add-a-line ($124.98 total)?

To move those 3 lines to AT&T or Verizon and start new family plans that cost $79.98/mo + $30/mo/line data ($169.98 total)?

To move those 3 lines to a decent prepaid carrier that costs $30/mo/line - $40/mo/line ($90/mo - $120/mo total)?

OR do I stay with Sprint and suck up the $5/mo/line (for example) increase and pay $19.99/mo/line ($59.97/mo total)?

boxermansr
07-29-2010, 07:06 AM

It only affects one of my lines since I only have three, so I'll see an overall increase of 5.00 which in reality, isn't a great deal, but for those with 4-5 lines (or even more) I'd expect (and hope) they'd call and raise hell over it.

boxermansr
07-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I didnt get this notification but this one reason i decided to go back to an employee family plan.

Seems it's coming on the last bill before it happens. My bill cycle is the 27th, so I'm guessing thats why mine says effective 8/27. I'd imagine if you've already gotten your most recent recent bill, it doesn't affect you, hopefully at least.

He123321
07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Even IF they did, think about how many people would actually cancel their add-a-lines (assuming they needed those lines to begin with). If I needed 5 lines, and suddenly instead of $14.99/mo/line (for example) they went to $19.99/mo/line, AND Sprint was kind enough to let me cancel those lines ETF-free... I STILL WOULDN'T!

WHAT ARE MY CHOICES?

To start new individual or family plans that cost $59.99/mo/line or more ($179.99/mo total)?

To start a new Sprint EPRP family plan at $109.99/mo + $14.99/mo add-a-line ($124.98 total)?

To move those 3 lines to AT&T or Verizon and start new family plans that cost $79.98/mo + $30/mo/line data ($169.98 total)?

To move those 3 lines to a decent prepaid carrier that costs $30/mo/line - $40/mo/line ($90/mo - $120/mo total)?

OR do I stay with Sprint and suck up the $5/mo/line (for example) increase and pay $19.99/mo/line ($59.97/mo total)?

Or go to Metro PCS which has good service in my area. I have 2 added lines which splits my bill 4 ways, and maybe a 5 line coming soon. This change will make me send the 2 lines to Metro PCS ASAP. They will pay $2 less then what they pay now.

chokaay
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Or go to Metro PCS which has good service in my area. I have 2 added lines which splits my bill 4 ways, and maybe a 5 line coming soon. This change will make me send the 2 lines to Metro PCS ASAP. They will pay $2 less then what they pay now.

You can get a monthly plan with unlimited messaging and data on Metro PCS for $17.99/mo/line? I didn't see that plan... :icon_smil

sjones
07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Seems it's coming on the last bill before it happens. My bill cycle is the 27th, so I'm guessing thats why mine says effective 8/27. I'd imagine if you've already gotten your most recent recent bill, it doesn't affect you, hopefully at least.

on the employee family plans its a set price per add a phone. Plus i left my co. and for some reason IF they started audits on Accounts with corp. discounts i don't have to think about it

Nauticaboy503
07-31-2010, 02:29 PM
guess this explains why the $10 EVO fee wasn't discounted .... this will suck for some legacy plan holders with a myriad of add ons.

Ditto:mad:

He123321
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
You can get a monthly plan with unlimited messaging and data on Metro PCS for $17.99/mo/line? I didn't see that plan... :icon_smil

Who said those 2 lines needed text/data? Each line after the lost of the discount will be $20 add a line + $7 insurance + $6 taxes/fees which equals more then your math. Please remove foot!

chokaay
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Who said those 2 lines needed text/data? Each line after the lost of the discount will be $20 add a line + $7 insurance + $6 taxes/fees which equals more then your math. Please remove foot!

Well then, if you don't like my foot where it is, then please clarify your previous post(s) (for the benefit of others who may be interested in doing what you're proposing... if nothing else).

According to you, Metro PCS offers a plan that costs $2 less than a non-discounted add-a-line (which is $19.99/mo/line). So in essence, $17.99/mo/line. The lowest plan I see is $40/mo on their website. Please provide a link to this $17.99/mo/line plan.

If you mean to include insurance and taxes/fees into the equation (which btw aren't "officially" included in the price of "add-a-lines" since insurance is an optional feature and taxes/fees aren't fixed and are separately calculated depending on location and local governments), then that would mean (according to you) that Sprint's add-a-line cost is = $33/mo/line + tax ($20 + $7 + $6), which means that Metro PCS must offer a plan for $31/mo/line according to you. Please provide a link to this $31/mo/line plan.

Thank you.

heavyharmonies
08-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Just got my bill today. Couldn't figure out why my bill went up, until I saw the fine print on page 2. I lost my 22% employee discount on the data pack for my phone.

In a time of 0% raises year after year and mandatory furlough days, now the employee discounts are going.

Major suckage.

lgmayka
08-07-2010, 10:13 AM
My newly generated bill has this notice:
---

---

Skidmark
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Isn't the 2nd line free on a family plan? Do they mean 1st and 3rd line?

lgmayka
08-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Isn't the 2nd line free on a family plan? Do they mean 1st and 3rd line?
No, they mean the 1st and 2nd line. The 2nd line's cost is combined into the 1st's.

BASHBRO
08-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Effective 8/27/10 SprintŪ is removing discounts on Share and Family plan add-a-phone lines 3 and above. The primary Monthly Recurring Chare (MRC) is still discountable. This change impacts current and sales expired Family and Business Share plan customers. This change does not impact customers who have recently received retention discounts. These customers will continue to receive retention discount benefits for the remainder of their current service agreement.

Impacted customers will receive the following bill messages:

7/26/10 - 8/26/10

Effective 8/27/10 discounts will no longer apply to the monthly recurring charge for add-a-phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plan. The primary line and the second line will continue to receive discounts.

8/27/10 - 9/30/10

As a reminder, effective 8/27/10 discounts will no longer apply to the monthly recurring charge for add-a-phone lines beyond the first two lines on family or share plans. The primary line and the second line will continue to receive discounts.

lgmayka
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
This change does not impact customers who have recently received retention discounts. These customers will continue to receive retention discount benefits for the remainder of their current service agreement.
This strongly suggests that all who are affected should call Retention to receive an equivalent discount.

I myself received a retention discount in January, the last time that Sprint raised rates on us. Apparently that's not "recent" enough, so I need to call again to get another retention discount. That's what the quote above implies.

StarmanDX
08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
The second line doesn't get any discounts to begin with. This is ridiculous, especially since I can go to my employer's NVP site with sprint and still price out family plans with discounted add-a-lines today, and sign a contract with that understanding, only to get a huge bill increase (about 10% on a 5-line plan) in a month.

Completely uncool, and borderline criminal. I love how Sprint finally managed to have one quarter they didn't bleed subscribers and celebrates by making sure that they'll lose a ****load of lines this quarter when people drop add-lines, and they do it ETF free thanks to this materially adverse change.

The logic of "well we discount the first add-a-phone and no other carriers do :]" is utterly stupid. Every other carrier that sells family plans does, in fact, "discount the first add-a-phone"; family plans include 2 lines on every carrier. The discount applies to the full amount of the family plan MRC on every carrier. Sprint is actually completely removing all add-a-phone discounts and has chosen an incredibly shady way of saying it. I do not approve, not one bit, especially since they are still dishonestly selling new plans with a promise of a discount that they know won't be there.

lenny_go
08-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I love how Sprint finally managed to have one quarter they didn't bleed subscribers and celebrates by making sure that they'll lose a ****load of lines this quarter when people drop add-lines, and they do it ETF free thanks to this materially adverse change.I don't think it's a given that they'll waive ETF over this.

Is NVP part of our contract with sprint, or sprint's contract with our employers? If it's the former, then I'd say you're right about ETFs. But I think it's the latter, in which case, I don't see how Sprint is breaching contract with us.

StarmanDX
08-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't think it's a given that they'll waive ETF over this.

Is NVP part of our contract with sprint, or sprint's contract with our employers? If it's the former, then I'd say you're right about ETFs. But I think it's the latter, in which case, I don't see how Sprint is breaching contract with us.

Sprint will try and adopt your viewpoint that the contract is between them and your employer. However, this doesn't hold water -- you have to sign a new contract to get the discount applied. The consideration for that contract is your discount. Changing the discount means you have lost the consideration they gave you, and as such, the contract is no longer valid.

You'll probably have to take them to court over it, but it's a clear and convincing argument.

SLME
08-08-2010, 12:22 AM
For those SUers who are veterans or AD.. On military NVP discounts I posted info on how the process works here. For those who PMed me lately for this info.

Read on.. http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210534

lenny_go
08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Sprint will try and adopt your viewpoint that the contract is between them and your employer. However, this doesn't hold water -- you have to sign a new contract to get the discount applied. The consideration for that contract is your discount. Changing the discount means you have lost the consideration they gave you, and as such, the contract is no longer valid.

You'll probably have to take them to court over it, but it's a clear and convincing argument.Whether or not your argument holds water (I am not a lawyer, and have no idea about these types of things), you are talking about a small subset of customers.

The policy used to be that adding an NVP discount to an account did not require a new 2-year commitment. Indeed, when I added NVP to my parents' plan in June'99, they did not have to re-up their commitment.

There are definitely customers who were screwed in the manner that you just described; however, that number is much smaller than the total number of family share plans on NVP discounts. The folks who were forced to re-up definitely have a point, and I think they ought to be able to have their commitments reset to what they were before the NVP was added, or have their ETFs waived.

Sprint would probably opt for waiving ETFs, because let's be realistic, nobody out there can match Sprint's family share plans for smartphones. Nobody is going to move a line over this. I've already run the numbers because this change affects me. I've got 4 lines w/smartphones. AT&T and Verizon are much more expensive for a 4-line account.

What is interesting to me, however, is that I've found the conventional wisdom of Sprint being cheaper than VzW/AT&T for single-line plans to be completely bogus for smartphones--especially for the Evo and Epic with the $10 4G fee. Unless you have a serious NVP discount on Sprint (I have 25%), price isn't a good reason to choose Sprint anymore. They're within $5-10, either way.

thetoad
08-09-2010, 01:33 PM
well, in my case, I think I'm going to take sprint's offer and revert to my old F&C 2500 plan. We were paying about $110 after taxes, but as the AAP is only $10 instead of $20 I'll only lose $2.50. In addition, if the october stuff is true, I'll be able to pay $20 more (get to about $130+) to have an equivalent of a Everything Data 2500 plan for the same price as the ED1400 (don't really need much on the 3rd line)

takabanana
08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't see this new policy change info on my bill from July.
Is everyone on Sprint supposed to get this?
I'm getting a 20% discount through my company - and I am on a 1500-min Everything family plan with 2 lines.
I'd love to be able to go month-to-month (and jump back onto a 2-year with an Epic 4G on both lines).

Any ideas why this info is not on my July bill?

StarmanDX
08-09-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't see this new policy change info on my bill from July.
Is everyone on Sprint supposed to get this?
I'm getting a 20% discount through my company - and I am on a 1500-min Everything family plan with 2 lines.
I'd love to be able to go month-to-month (and jump back onto a 2-year with an Epic 4G on both lines).

Any ideas why this info is not on my July bill?

You only have 2 lines, so you aren't affected. You aren't paying for any add-lines.

takabanana
08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
You only have 2 lines, so you aren't affected. You aren't paying for any add-lines.

OK - so this can't be considered a material change to my contract, even if, in the future, I decided to add another line?
I realize that it does not affect me directly, *currently*, but it does change the way I think about adding additional lines - different than I would have from my original contract.

Was trying to see if there was a way I can kill-off the contract and move to a month-to-month (at least to get the Epic 4Gs)?

Wouldn't I be covered under that, since the contract itself does change - even though it doesn't affect me directly *right now*?

Duffman
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't I be covered under that, since the contract itself does change - even though it doesn't affect me directly *right now*?
No. Not a material change of your contract.

W0KIE
08-09-2010, 05:02 PM
People sometimes forget that Sprint starts nights and weekends at 7pm.

Call me forgetful. My nights and weekends on Sprint start at 9 pm. :icon_smil

axelfox
08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
My GF has a corporate discount of 25% on her single line. We've been talking about upgrading her to a family plan, adding at least 1 additional line (total 3 lines) and take advantage of her discount. Then I read about Sprint not allowing corporate discount past the #2 lines. I ran the numbers, assume taxes etc was $4, with discount across all lines, and with discount on only the first two lines. Unless my numbers were way off, the approximate increase in monthly charges between discounts one first two lines only and discounts across all lines, per line, is an additional $1-$3.

lgmayka
08-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Unless my numbers were way off, the approximate increase in monthly charges between discounts one first two lines only and discounts across all lines, per line, is an additional $1-$3.
If you have a no-data plan in which the additional lines are only $10/month, the loss of a 25% discount costs you about $2.50/month per affected line. But if you have the newer Everything Data plan in which additional lines are $20/month, the loss of discount costs you $5/month per line, or $15/month for a full 5-line plan. Taxes and fees may increase this further.

lgmayka
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
So has anyone actually gotten Retention to give anything in return for keeping these add-a-lines? If so, what?

axelfox
08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
If you have a no-data plan in which the additional lines are only $10/month, the loss of a 25% discount costs you about $2.50/month per affected line. But if you have the newer Everything Data plan in which additional lines are $20/month, the loss of discount costs you $5/month per line, or $15/month for a full 5-line plan. Taxes and fees may increase this further.

You're right. My numbers were off, and I used the $15 per additional line (from EDRP) instead of the normal $20 per additional line for normal plans, for which corporate discounts are only available. I'm using the Everything Data Family - with Any Mobile, Anytime plan. The difference is now at about $3 per month, per line.

Dan
08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Call me forgetful. My nights and weekends on Sprint start at 9 pm. :icon_smil

That is because you have chosen to stay in the "dark ages" with Sprint. For the longest time, it wasn't even hard to get sprint to make free and clear accounts have 7pm nights at no charge.

TheWahbinator
08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
That is because you have chosen to stay in the "dark ages" with Sprint. For the longest time, it wasn't even hard to get sprint to make free and clear accounts have 7pm nights at no charge.

Yeah unless the contract renewal after the change happens your plan has both entries for "Unl Shared Night&Wknd Min 7pm" AND "Unlimited Night & Wknd Min 9pm", and guess which one takes effect...

Edit: Oops that's not how I saw it

Rosatilt
08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah unless the contract renewal after the change happens your plan has both entries for "Unl Shared Night&Wknd Min 7pm" AND "Unlimited Night & Wknd Min 9pm", and guess which one takes effect...

so call in and ask them to delete the 9pm code off your lines. then the 7 pm will take over.

strange though, i have codes for 7pm 6pm and 5pm on some of my lines and the 5pm is the one that works.

TheWahbinator
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Actually I just checked a bill and calls between 7 and 9 do count under NW *facepalm* oh well I thought for some reason it didn't do that.

Rosatilt
08-09-2010, 08:52 PM
there ya go. i chatted with a retentions rep whle on the way home from work today. they say they can't do anything to offset the change which for me, with 7 lines, is approximately 12 bucks or so. oh well, my legacy plan is still so much cheaper than anything else it's not even funny. i cant' get an android, but i pay the same price for 7 phones that a new customer would pay for 2. not kidding.

lgmayka
08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
If customers quietly accept the raising of their rates by $15 (3 x $5) per month, Sprint will be strongly encouraged to do so again--and again.

Anyone who thinks that this is Sprint's "last" dirty trick is fooling himself.

lenny_go
08-09-2010, 10:07 PM
If customers quietly accept the raising of their rates by $15 (3 x $5) per month, Sprint will be strongly encouraged to do so again--and again.

Anyone who thinks that this is Sprint's "last" dirty trick is fooling himself.I don't really see things going in that direction. Cricket is getting an Android phone. So is MetroPCS. There's some other prepaid whose name I'm blocking on that will accept virtually any GSM phone, including the N1.

I think the ultimate pricing trend is going to be downward, but for right now, Sprint is the only 4G network and has the cheapest smartphone family plan. They're trying to squeeze a little revenue out of those competitive advantages while they still can.

But the wireless market is changing, and the big providers are going to have to adapt. Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone with a feature phone uses postpaid anymore. Almost anyone could save a bundle by switching to prepaid.

lgmayka
08-10-2010, 09:24 PM
In regard to the $15/mo rate hike (due to loss of discount on 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines):

On my first call, no one was willing to budge at all. Needless to say, I rated that supervisor as low as possible. :(

On my second call, the best I could do was a credit for 1/2 my monthly rate (i.e., $65), in return for dropping the dispute. If surveyed, I will rate the supervisor highly, because she was clearly doing the best she could within her constraints from higher up.

I'm still angry that Sprint executives get away with these dirty tricks, but...

SLME
08-10-2010, 09:31 PM
In regard to the $15/mo rate hike (due to loss of discount on 3rd, 4th, and 5th lines):

On my first call, no one was willing to budge at all. Needless to say, I rated that supervisor as low as possible. :(

On my second call, the best I could do was a credit for 1/2 my monthly rate (i.e., $65), in return for dropping the dispute. If surveyed, I will rate the supervisor highly, because she was clearly doing the best she could within her constraints from higher up.

I'm still angry that Sprint executives get away with these dirty tricks, but...

Welcome to the capitalist world of business...:lol:

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Anyone who thinks that this is Sprint's "last" dirty trick is fooling himself.

I agree. But quite a few members here dismiss you if you raise any issue with a particular policy of Sprint (whether the loss of your discount on add on packs OR something like the new $10/per month/per phone "premium data" charge).

Corporations (and even politicians) won't be motivated to stop such aggressive moves UNLESS the consumers speak up!

:Popcorn2:

lgmayka
08-11-2010, 05:36 AM
Here are the two lies that Sprint reps gave me in regard to the loss of discount on add-a-lines:

1) The discount or lack thereof is decided by your employer, not Sprint. This is a laughable lie, of course. It is ridiculous even to imagine that 1000 corporations, on their own, would simultaneously come up to Sprint and say, "Please remove the discount on our add-a-lines."

2) Your monthly rate is unimportant to you because you renewed your most recent contract for another reason (e.g., a new phone or a $70 credit). This lie is slightly more subtle but still ridiculous: It claims that money is not important to you (legally speaking, "it is not material to the contract"). The (il)logic is that because your immediate incentive for renewal was something else, you couldn't care less how much you actually paid per month for service. By this same logic, money would not be important to Sprint either, so we could all just arbitrarily decide how much of our bills we want to pay.

Can you imagine any other company actually saying, "Because we gave you a tote bag when you signed with us, we can charge you as much as we want, because money is obviously not important to you, only tote bags."

Ah, for the good old days when a California judge would slap an injunction on Sprint for such lies!

Trinal
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Has anyone been successful in getting any type of credit to offset this change? My bill went up about $5 but it's still rather irksome that they'd do this without any recourse on the customer's part besides simply walking away.

08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
On the brightside at least you guys are still getting a discount! Yay for discounts!

lgmayka
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Has anyone been successful in getting any type of credit to offset this change? My bill went up about $5 but it's still rather irksome that they'd do this without any recourse on the customer's part besides simply walking away.
1) Sprint will assume that its customers don't care about money unless it gets complaints. So please, please call to complain. And be sure to laugh at their weak lies.

2) I finally won a credit of $65, but my bill is going up $15/month. On the other hand, the rep insisted that her options were very limited because (a) I already have a $20/mo credit from Sprint's last rate-raising fiasco, and (b) I recently got 4 x $70 in credits for renewing contracts on 4 lines.

3) "Walking away"--cancelling service and disputing the ETFs--is certainly the best way to get Sprint's attention. But that may or may not be in your own best financial interest.

lgmayka
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
On the brightside at least you guys are still getting a discount! Yay for discounts!
Other carriers give corporate discounts too, and some other carriers are generally hungrier for customers (e.g., T-Mobile and US Cellular).

The bottom line here, as someone has already said, is that for a family of 5 smartphones, Sprint is probably still the best deal. (Sprint knows this--that why it's jacking up the rates and thumbing its nose at us.) For almost anyone else, there are probably now better options elsewhere.

08-11-2010, 10:44 PM
1) Sprint will assume that its customers don't care about money unless it gets complaints. So please, please call to complain. And be sure to laugh at their weak lies.

Yeah call complain at some innocent person just trying to collect a check each month, thats very nice of you. And its not that they are lying, the decision was made somewhere along the chain of command, its a change and whats done is done.

SLME
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Other carriers give corporate discounts too, and some other carriers are generally hungrier for customers (e.g., T-Mobile and US Cellular).

The bottom line here, as someone has already said, is that for a family of 5 smartphones, Sprint is probably still the best deal. (Sprint knows this--that why it's jacking up the rates and thumbing its nose at us.) For almost anyone else, there are probably now better options elsewhere.

Here is an ideal cancel your account with Sprint and go to T-Mobile or U.S. Cellular.. That will teach Sprint...:lol::deal:

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah call complain at some innocent person just trying to collect a check each month, thats very nice of you. And its not that they are lying, the decision was made somewhere along the chain of command, its a change and whats done is done.

I agree...to a point.

Unfortunately, I have enough experiences where Sprint reps were so poorly trained that they literally made things up over the telephone. I guess that they were just trying to move on from the conversation and decided to outright lie to me.

But no matter the motivation, it is extremely OFFENSIVE to be LIED to by a customer service rep. I would rather here "I DON'T KNOW" than for someone to creatively tell me lies or half-truths. And, unfortunately, I have actually believed customer service reps who flat out misled me...and it ended up costing me time and money.

I don't think that we should ever be rude to a person who is sincerely performing their job. However, I will immediately confront a person who I know is "leading me on" with anything less than true.

:td:

08-12-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree...to a point.

Unfortunately, I have enough experiences where Sprint reps were so poorly trained that they literally made things up over the telephone. I guess that they were just trying to move on from the conversation and decided to outright lie to me.

But no matter the motivation, it is extremely OFFENSIVE to be LIED to by a customer service rep. I would rather here "I DON'T KNOW" than for someone to creatively tell me lies or half-truths. And, unfortunately, I have actually believed customer service reps who flat out misled me...and it ended up costing me time and money.

I don't think that we should ever be rude to a person who is sincerely performing their job. However, I will immediately confront a person who I know is "leading me on" with anything less than true.

:td:

What were you lied to about exactly?

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Yeah call complain at some innocent person just trying to collect a check each month, thats very nice of you.
That is exactly what Sprint requires us to do. Sprint does not give us the direct phone number of the evil executive who decided to pull this dirty trick. Instead, the only Sprint employees to whom we are allowed to express our dissatisfaction are the reps. Sprint then assures us that our opinions will somehow, someday, be relayed to those in charge--especially if in the followup survey we make clear that the rep did not resolve our problem, knows nothing about contract law, etc.

Perhaps you don't understand the whole legal concept of a corporation. A corporation has a charter from the government saying that all citizens must treat that corporation as if it were one enormous "person." (This rather totalitarian practice has many shocking implications, which I will not go into here.) Anyone who works for a corporation had better understand that by law, everyone else is required to treat him as one element of a large monolith.

And its not that they are lying, the decision was made somewhere along the chain of command, its a change and whats done is done.
The lying consists of the excuses the reps are told to give, or simply make up, to justify holding customers to their contracts while raising their rates.

The two that I have already run into are:

1) This is your corporation's decision, not Sprint's. Baloney. A thousand corporations across the country did not simultaneous come up to Sprint and say, "Please remove our add-a-line discounts."

2) You renewed your contract in order to get a new phone or a service credit, so your corporate discount was not part of the contract. Baloney. Money/price is always essential to a contract. (If it weren't, we could all just stop paying our bills.) For all of us, our most recent contract renewal--like the renewals before it--was based primarily on the net monthly rate after discount. For anyone with a brain, the "free gift" (whether shiny new phone or stylish new tote bag or humorous T-shirt) is secondary.

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Here is an ideal cancel your account with Sprint and go to T-Mobile or U.S. Cellular.. That will teach Sprint...:lol::deal:
True, the best way to teach Sprint a lesson--short of a court injunction--is for customers to cancel their service, dispute the ETF, and win in arbitration (if Sprint even decides to take the dispute that far).

But Sprint is gambling that few customers will take that route and do so correctly.

lenny_go
08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
2) I finally won a credit of $65, but my bill is going up $15/month. On the other hand, the rep insisted that her options were very limited because (a) I already have a $20/mo credit from Sprint's last rate-raising fiasco, and (b) I recently got 4 x $70 in credits for renewing contracts on 4 lines.Wait a minute. Do you have a recurring credit and an NVP discount on the same line? I didn't think that was possible. How did you get that?

Yeah call complain at some innocent person just trying to collect a check each month, thats very nice of you. And its not that they are lying, the decision was made somewhere along the chain of command, its a change and whats done is done.I don't see why you object to this.

Obviously don't be rude to the low-level call center rep. It's not like he/she made the decision. Just call in and let them know you'd like them to record your complaint and send it to the right place, wherever that is. Be polite and cordial with the rep. Have them take down that you object to the new policy and why.

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Do you have a recurring credit and an NVP discount on the same line?
Yes, but only because I threatened to cancel in January, when Sprint admittedly raised the rates ("fees") of people on contracts. Because Sprint lawyers had already admitted what they were doing to customers, retention reps were particularly generous.

All reports indicate that the "codes" for recurring credits are no longer available even to retention reps. :(

Have them take down that you object to the new policy and why.
My own opinion is that a simple objection to the new policy will not be taken seriously--after all, new policies are always a cost-benefit decision for the corporation.

The better approach, IMHO, is the one on clear legal ground: That if Sprint raises our rates, we have the right to cancel without ETF. I think it is important to be and sound confident that an arbitrator would agree with us and rule against Sprint, if the matter were to go that far.

lenny_go
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
The better approach, IMHO, is the one on clear legal ground: That if Sprint raises our rates, we have the right to cancel without ETF. I think it is important to be and sound confident that an arbitrator would agree with us and rule against Sprint, if the matter were to go that far.Just to put it into context, I never meant to suggest that lodging a complaint with Sprint customer service should be an aggrieved customer's only recourse.

Someone else had objected to customers calling in to complain because it isn't the CSR's fault. My response was essentially, "Don't feel bad about complaining. You can register your dissatisfaction without being rude to the CSR."

But like I said before, don't feel like filing a complaint with Sprint should be your only recourse. Going after them legally, leaving for a competitor, etc. These are all valid responses as well.

0dB
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I momentarily thought about using this as an excuse to get out of my 3 lines under contract on Sprint and migrate to VZW if they in fact get the iPhone soon. But it's still a good $40+/mo with VZW over what I would be paying with Sprint. Not sure if it's worth that.

Dan
08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Here is the problem with canceling over an NVP. Sprint and your company agree to certain terms in order to get you a NVP discount. At any end of an agreement, Sprint can raise or lower the discount, or if necessary remove it all together. It is doubtful someone would try and cancel over a raised discount, but if it is lowered people feel that something has been "stolen" from them.

I know recently Sprint was raising some discounts. My discount went from 15% to 19%. Even if they removed from AAP's as well as attachable under $30 a month, it wont really affect me. My 3rd line is charged, but I have the $20/24 credit which makes it free. My only "paid" add-on's are TEP which hasn't been discounted in years.

Worst case, you pay $6 more per line on ED plans, assuming a 30% discount and the $20 AAP price.

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
What were you lied to about exactly?

There have been several incidents in which I was promised something that Sprint later told me that they could not fulfill or just turned out to be untrue.

For instance, I was promised a free "Blackberry pack" when I renewed with Sprint for two years. I explained that I had to wait to upgrade my phone (my line wasn't eligible for a few more weeks). They said that this would not be a problem because the "code" would already been added. I went ahead and upgraded and even added a line.

A few weeks later, when I tried to add the Blackberry...nada. I called...spoke with Account Services numerous times...and nothing. Sprint did acknowledge that this was what I was promised -- but they just couldn't fulfill the promise because the perk was no longer available.

Another time, I had gone to Best Buy to check about the compatibility of a phone with my plan. I asked the Best Buy cellular manager about it...and he said that he didn't know...and he called Sprint. Somehow, a Sprint rep changed our plan and removed the add-on perk from our phones (free data plus packs).

After returning home and noticing the changes at Sprint.com, I called to have Sprint explain this. One Account Services rep swore that it was the Best Buy person who did this...and even wanted me to levy a complaint against him! I declined and stated emphatically that it was a SPRINT person who did this because I was sitting next to the Best Buy manager while he spoke with Sprint and heard the entire conversation! Unfortunately, Sprint was unable to reinstate the perks that I had been given (only three months prior) because they had "expired."

These are just two examples. So, yeah, some Sprint reps have been known to tell a lie or two (or to say things that just don't pan out). I am noticing a little bit of a difference in customer service...so that is a good thing. I hope that it continues.

Like I said, I would rather someone tell me that they just don't know than to be told something that turns out to be untrue.

:indiff:

Dan
08-12-2010, 12:15 PM
There have been several incidents in which I was promised something that Sprint later told me that they could not fulfill or just turned out to be untrue.

For instance, I was promised a free "Blackberry pack" when I renewed with Sprint for two years. I explained that I had to wait to upgrade my phone (my line wasn't eligible for a few more weeks). They said that this would not be a problem because the "code" would already been added. I went ahead and upgraded and even added a line.

A few weeks later, when I tried to add the Blackberry...nada. I called...spoke with Account Services numerous times...and nothing. Sprint did acknowledge that this was what I was promised -- but they just couldn't fulfill the promise because the perk was no longer available.

Another time, I had gone to Best Buy to check about the compatibility of a phone with my plan. I asked the Best Buy cellular manager about it...and he said that he didn't know...and he called Sprint. Somehow, a Sprint rep changed our plan and removed the add-on perk from our phones (free data plus packs).

After returning home and noticing the changes at Sprint.com, I called to have Sprint explain this. One Account Services rep swore that it was the Best Buy person who did this...and even wanted me to levy a complaint against him! I declined and stated emphatically that it was a SPRINT person who did this because I was sitting next to the Best Buy manager while he spoke with Sprint and heard the entire conversation! Unfortunately, Sprint was unable to reinstate the perks that I had been given (only three months prior) because they had "expired."

These are just two examples. So, yeah, some Sprint reps have been known to tell a lie or two (or to say things that just don't pan out). I am noticing a little bit of a difference in customer service...so that is a good thing. I hope that it continues.

Like I said, I would rather someone tell me that they just don't know than to be told something that turns out to be untrue.

AS reps go into work and get informed what codes were removed that day. The codes are no longer available to them, they simply can not add them.

As far as the data packs being removed, Sprint had a data pack that was $2.50 that they could have added back to your account. With a decent rep, they likely could have offered you a couple service credits to help make up for the new charges. Sometimes we get so worried about getting the "free" item that we fail to realize that their is more than one way to go about correcting an issue.

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-12-2010, 12:44 PM
AS reps go into work and get informed what codes were removed that day. The codes are no longer available to them, they simply can not add them.

Yes, but it would have helped if the Sprint Account Services rep would have told me that I needed to take advantage of it. They KNEW how long I had to wait...and I verified this in our conversation. I was assured that everything would be fine. It is this assurance that I am most disappointed with. They acknowledged that I renewed my contract based upon something that was promised that they couldn't fulfill.

To Sprint's credit, I don't think that the Account Services person knew that this wouldn't be available to me a few weeks later. The rep even noted it on my account. Yet that didn't help me. It couldn't return all of the time and effort that I took to research which Blackberry would be best for me. Nor could it return all of my time and effort spent trying to attain a remedy. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated. At the time, I was deciding whether to move to AT&T for the iPhone (since my parents, siblings and many of my friends all have AT&T). Oddly, Sprint didn't even let me know that I might have been able to revert back to our pre-renewal time so that we wouldn't be ETF liable.

As far as the data packs being removed, Sprint had a data pack that was $2.50 that they could have added back to your account. With a decent rep, they likely could have offered you a couple service credits to help make up for the new charges. Sometimes we get so worried about getting the "free" item that we fail to realize that their is more than one way to go about correcting an issue.

Yes, that is what we did. We had Sprint Vision packs added for $2.50 per line. Yet, ironically, I had the Business Advantage Data Pack added to my line for free. How was it that we "accidentally" lost our retention promised Data Plus Packs and had to purchase Vision packs -- when we could have had the Business Advantage Data Pack added to the other lines?

I will say this: I am a smarter Sprint customer now -- thanks to SprintUsers.com! This website has been vital to my understanding of how Sprint works! I now know options that are available in such situations. I doubt that I have to call Sprint about our account anytime soon...but I will turn to SprintUsers.com in case I do!

:music:

*Now, I did call Sprint on behalf of a friend a few days ago. He had a similar situation -- where he was promised a renewal credit for renewing his contract (a family voice plan with text added to one line). He kept noticing that there were no credits on his account. He called Sprint...but felt like he was treated very poorly.

It seems that the rep who offered the renewal credit did not register it or even note it on his account! My friend felt that the Account Services rep was very cynical and that he spoke with almost treated him like he was lying about it.

He mentioned this to me. Since I knew that Sprint offers renewal credits (and my friend had never heard of them before being offered them over the phone), I called Sprint on his behalf. I explained to the Account Services rep that they should not treat longtime customers with such scorn -- especially with customers who have never previously complained about anything!

The Account Services person that I spoke with was kind and very apologetic. Unfortunately, she still claimed that she couldn't offer a renewal credit if it wasn't previously noted on the account. I looked up my friend's Loyalty designation, and he is 008 and A2. Sprint did "undo" his account renewal. My friend had not even upgraded either of the phones in his account -- even though the upgrade was available for well over a year on both lines (they are still using the LG Musiq and LG Fusic)! The Sprint Account Services supervisor stated that she was going to run an audit of the account and call back my friend precisely at 5 PM on Tuesday. Did he receive a call? No.

So, it is disappointing that a culture of confusion still exists amongst some Sprint reps. I urged my friend to call back and ask why he was told to wait for a call that never came after a promise was broken that can't seem to be fulfilled. It will be interesting to see if Sprint tries to fulfill this promise.

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 12:52 PM
At any end of an agreement, Sprint can raise or lower the discount, or if necessary remove it all together.
Sprint can change the discount for new customers, existing customers who have not signed or renewed a contract since getting a discount, or existing customers on contract with their next renewal. Existing customers who renewed a contract based on a discounted rate have contracted with Sprint for that rate. If Sprint removes the discount, the customer has the right to cancel without ETF.

Apparently I must again emphasize that money/price is essential to a contract. Mumbo-jumbo about "we didn't change your rate, we merely removed your discount" doesn't fool anyone, least of all an experienced and unbiased arbitrator.

Ironically, Sprint itself admits that if the customer signed or renewed a contract explicitly in order to get a discount, the discount is then part of the contract; and indeed, this is Sprint's new practice--to require contract renewal as part of getting a discount. What Sprint refuses to admit is that the discounted rate (i.e., the price) is always an essential element of the contract. As I have already explained, just because a customer gets a tote bag for renewing his contract does not mean that he doesn't care what rate he's paying.

By the way, I must point out that the phrase "if necessary" in the quote above is quite humorous. Removing a discount is never a "necessity" except in a bankruptcy under court order. Otherwise, we're simply talking about a dirty trick to raise rates on customers while pretending that they're still under contract.

Dan
08-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry, but if my employer simply stops participating in the NVP program, I am not promised the discount for the remainder of my contract. Similarly, if I change employers, I am supposed to inform Sprint of said change and accept the new employers discount.

As far as an AS rep knowing how long you have to accept an offer, they have no clue when an offer may be removed from them. You can be offered free data, free unlimited text messaging, free BIS, free whatever. The offer is good at that point only, and if you do not accept it then can be removed. If you had a blackberry device to activate for free BIS, the offer would have been completed on that call.

Now, it can be argued that you accepted a new agreement just for a discount, and didn't get any other "consideration" in exchange for the new contract, then the removal of the discount voids the agreement. Having said that, as long as Sprint gives you the "current" NVP discount for that employer, removing it as an offer on add-a-lines makes only those lines eligible for having the date restored.

If, however, you renewed for a discount and then choose to upgrade your phone, you may have a hard time trying to get Sprint to roll-back to the old contract date as you now have received "other consideration" for the contract in the form of a discounted device. The contract you would be under at that point was based on the purchase of the discounted phone, as opposed to the discounted service that the previous contract was based on that is no longer in existence.

if you feel very strongly about leaving Sprint over raising your monthly rates by a few dollars, then contact someone about it. Try ES, your local TV station, whoever and let them know that you feel removing the discount is a material change.

sfhub
08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Sprint gets itself into these situations that annoy the customer.

It really isn't that difficult to simply make these type of pricing increases effective at the end of your contract (which is what other carriers do), at which point the consumer can decide whether to stay or leave without the threat of an ETF (justified or not). This leads to a much better customer experience and most would feel is fair. The savings from fewer people calling in to complain offsets the slight delay in increased revenue so Sprint probably makes out close to even, but without an upset customer.

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know what the discount would be on AT&T for a retired Navy officer?

My parents are with AT&T Wireless -- with two iPhones. My dad is retired from the US Navy. Unfortunately, my parents didn't know anything about a discount until YESTERDAY when I called to ask them about it.

Does anyone know the % discount for AT&T customers for retired Naval officers or for current Navy Federal Credit Union customers?

Now, my dad doesn't know his email (or even if he has one) because he retired in the late 90s before email became widespread in the military. However, he does have his Military ID card and his checking account at the Navy Federal Credit Union.

Any tips? I would like to see them save a little $$$ each month!

:fingers:

Dan
08-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know what the discount would be on AT&T for a retired Navy officer?

My parents are with AT&T Wireless -- with two iPhones. My dad is retired from the US Navy. Unfortunately, my parents didn't know anything about a discount until YESTERDAY when I called to ask them about it.

Does anyone know the % discount for AT&T customers for retired Naval officers or for current Navy Federal Credit Union customers?

Now, my dad doesn't know his email (or even if he has one) because he retired in the late 90s before email became widespread in the military. However, he does have his Military ID card and his checking account at the Navy Federal Credit Union.

Any tips? I would like to see them save a little $$$ each month!

:fingers:

Honestly, his ID card should be enough at a local AT&T store to have them tell him what the discount is and get it set up for him.

Now, back on topic :)

08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't see why you object to this.

Obviously don't be rude to the low-level call center rep. It's not like he/she made the decision. Just call in and let them know you'd like them to record your complaint and send it to the right place, wherever that is. Be polite and cordial with the rep. Have them take down that you object to the new policy and why.

There is a very good reason, because I don't think making complaints over the phone really goes anywhere. Like I could tell my boss and they would be like "ok".

Whatever makes you feel better though.

Aww.. am sorry to hear that ccchhhrrriiisss, it just depends on who you get and how far the agents willing to go to fix things. With situations like that where the codes are no longer available they should have done something like add a plan and then credit for the plan each month.

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Sorry, but if my employer simply stops participating in the NVP program, I am not promised the discount for the remainder of my contract.
In this very unlikely case (has it ever really happened?), employees who had previously signed or renewed their contracts at the discounted rate could be assigned to a (fictitious company's) code at that same rate until their contracts expire (or until they willingly renew without a discount or on another discount).

Alternatively, Sprint could simply permit them to leave ETF-free.

Either way, the principle is maintained: Price is essential to the contract.

Dan
08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
In this very unlikely case (has it ever really happened?), employees who had previously signed or renewed their contracts at the discounted rate could be assigned to a (fictitious company's) code at that same rate until their contracts expire (or until they willingly renew without a discount or on another discount).

Alternatively, Sprint could simply permit them to leave ETF-free.

Either way, the principle is maintained: Price is essential to the contract.

Sprint's policy has been, for a few years, that unless your base plan had its price raised, you were not eligible for an EFT free contract termination.

Having said that, each time they raised a fee, usually each January, they let people go ETF free or make them an offer to stay.

So, a decrease or removal of an NVP discount is not technically a reason to leave ETF free. As history has shown, Sprint typically is just as happy to let a customer go though, as they dont get bad press over making the customer happy. If you feel strongly about the removal of the discounts, contact account services and make your case to go for free. maybe it will work, maybe it wont. It is the only way to know though, and doesn't take a lawyer to get it accomplished.

Duffman
08-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't sell plans, just fix network issues. But isn't it technically true that once you leave the company that you got the discount with, your discount could be pulled? I am pretty sure that Sprint does not check employment for the discount after it was initially applied. How many folks have a discount they are not technically entitled to?

Sprint gets itself into these situations that annoy the customer.
That is what bugs me. It is not so much the changes as how they are implemented that irritates people. Take the $10 premium data. That was just a lousy decision. I think they would have gotten less bad press if they just created a new data plan that was $10 more expensive and grandfathered the existing. Sure, people would complained Sprint was raising their prices, but they would not have felt Sprint was being sneaky about it.

There is a very good reason, because I don't think making complaints over the phone really goes anywhere.
Unfortunately true. Write to dan@sprint.com.

lgmayka
08-12-2010, 10:07 PM
But isn't it technically true that once you leave the company that you got the discount with, your discount could be pulled?
If you have never renewed your contract at the discounted price, or if your contract has expired, yes. But contract renewal is at a specific rate--again, because price is essential to a contract--so Sprint cannot remove your discount while simultaneously attempting to hold you to your contract.

The simplest solution in all these cases is to keep the customer's discount intact until his contract expires (or until he willingly renews it without discount or on another discount).

Dan
08-12-2010, 10:51 PM
If you have never renewed your contract at the discounted price, or if your contract has expired, yes. But contract renewal is at a specific rate--again, because price is essential to a contract--so Sprint cannot remove your discount while simultaneously attempting to hold you to your contract.

The simplest solution in all these cases is to keep the customer's discount intact until his contract expires (or until he willingly renews it without discount or on another discount).

So, by your thinking, if you worked for GM, got laid off and got a job selling auto parts your still entitled to the GM discount because you are under contract?

Look at your service agreement, it lists charges and doesnt list discounts. Simply put, the discounts are a perk, and you agreed to pay full price if they were removed.

If you renewed just to get the discount, no matter what it was, and it later was removed then the contract should revert to its old date. If you accepted an incentive on a phone in addition to the discount, then your contract is based on the devoce you still have.

Another way to look at this: We renewed our agreement to get the $20/24 deal, and then used the same line to upgrade days later. If Sprint removed the $20/24 I would feel the contract is still enforceable as my last action to extend it was due to an incentive on a device.

Different people can have different opinions though :)

jimsmith94
08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I first signed up with Sprint with a 20% company discount in 2001, and was laid off in 2003. Since then I have renewed my contract a few times, and switched to SERO. I still have my original phone number and still have the 20% company discount (yes, a discount on SERO).

I doubt that anyone at Sprint ever checks the validity of discounts once they are applied. Interestingly, that company was purchased by another company last year, so it legally doesn't even exist any more.

Duffman
08-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Exactly. Discounts are not part of the contract or price. They are applied AFTER the negotiated contract and dependent on your employment. If Sprint wanted to get tough, they could send an email out to the address you listed and if it bounced or you did not reply, remove the discount. They don't because of the hassle and bad will. But to quote contract law is just ludicrous. Check the contract. The offer, acceptance and consideration are all there before discount. The discount is in addition to your contract (which is basically because they subsidized your phone).

sfhub
08-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Exactly. Discounts are not part of the contract or price.
The "contract" is what is written + what was agreed to upon renewal. It depends on the circumstances of what was agreed to.

For example if the rep said, we can give you $20/24 if you renew today, then that is part of the contract agreement.

If the interpretation of your contract was based purely on what you are saying, then Sprint could remove your $20/24 after just one month and still hold you to the ETF.

If there is no meeting of the minds, there is no contract (and thus ETF cannot be enforced, but that wouldn't stop the company from trying). If there was a meeting of the minds, but one party decides to unilaterally change the terms, then they are breaching the contract.

There is a reason why other carriers make their pricing changes effective at the end of your contract and it isn't because they feel like being nice.

Dan
08-13-2010, 12:50 AM
The "contract" is what is written + what was agreed to upon renewal. It depends on the circumstances of what was agreed to.

For example if the rep said, we can give you $20/24 if you renew today, then that is part of the contract agreement.

If the interpretation of your contract was based purely on what you are saying, then Sprint could remove your $20/24 after just one month and still hold you to the ETF.

If there is no meeting of the minds, there is no contract (and thus ETF cannot be enforced, but that wouldn't stop the company from trying). If there was a meeting of the minds, but one party decides to unilaterally change the terms, then they are breaching the contract.

There is a reason why other carriers make their pricing changes effective at the end of your contract and it isn't because they feel like being nice.

I believe I had already suggested that if you had done nothing else other than add a discount for a contract renewal, and the discount was removed, then the contract would be voided. The problem comes if you decided to get a new device a month later. You are still under contract for that device, even if a "good will" discount is removed.

You could have no "meeting of the minds" on the discount, but have a "meeting of the minds" on the phone discount. Since they are both things that you renewed a contract for, the phone discount part of the contract would still remain true. Therefore, asking to go because you lost a discount is stretching things a bit to say the least.

lgmayka
08-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Look at your service agreement, it lists charges and doesnt list discounts.
Exactly. That's because the "discount" is simply a calculation used in determining the monthly rate. The latter is the contracted price.

Simply put, the discounts are a perk, and you agreed to pay full price if they were removed.
That statement is utterly absurd. No one with, say, a 25% discount "agrees" to pay full price if Sprint willy-nilly decides to remove the discount. All of us renew our contracts based primarily on the discount--otherwise Sprint's rates are way too high and we can get better deals elsewhere.

We renewed our agreement to get the $20/24 deal, and then used the same line to upgrade days later. If Sprint removed the $20/24 I would feel the contract is still enforceable as my last action to extend it was due to an incentive on a device.
Nonsense. Just because I accept a tote bag does not mean I don't care how much I pay.

lgmayka
08-13-2010, 04:48 AM
The offer, acceptance and consideration are all there before discount.
Wrong. The "discount" is a calculation used in determining the monthly rate to which the customer is agreeing.

Dan
08-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Exactly. That's because the "discount" is simply a calculation used in determining the monthly rate. The latter is the contracted price.

That statement is utterly absurd. No one with, say, a 25% discount "agrees" to pay full price if Sprint willy-nilly decides to remove the discount. All of us renew our contracts based primarily on the discount--otherwise Sprint's rates are way too high and we can get better deals elsewhere.

Nonsense. Just because I accept a tote bag does not mean I don't care how much I pay.

Well, it seems you are unwilling to even look at another persons point of view. The thing is, when your dealing with any contract, the decision of its enforceability rests in the hands of a judge or jury (if you really press things that far) who can easily disagree with your points and find in favor of the company. If everything was cut and dry, we wouldn't have need for as much of the legal system as we have today, as opinions would never become part of the process.

Sprint's contract is based on your agreement to accept the service and no discounts are even mentioned in it.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

Our Right To Change The Agreement & Your Related Rights
We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service. We will provide you notice of material changes, and may provide you notice of non-material changes, in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee only if you: (a) call us within 30 days after the effective date of the change; and (b) specifically advise us that you wish to cancel Services because of a material change to the Agreement that we have made. If you do not cancel Service within 30 days of the change, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you terminate Services before the end of any applicable Term Commitment.

There, they reserve the right to change their rates, charges and how they calculate the charges. They determine if it is a material change, and you can disagree if they feel it is not.

They seem to have changed some wording in the agreement yet again, where it had something indicating only an increase in your base plan was grounds to terminate services early, as opposed to an increase in your attachable items. This *may* work in your favor to switch providers.

Hopefully you find someone you want to do business with, because it sure doesn't seem to be Sprint!

Duffman
08-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Wrong. The "discount" is a calculation used in determining the monthly rate to which the customer is agreeing.
So in your contract, it says you will receive a discount? Or is the discount applied to the contract price?

oscar10181988
08-13-2010, 12:30 PM
It sucks for me because two of my lines decided to join me with Sprint because of the discount, it was cheaper. :(

lgmayka
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
So in your contract, it says you will receive a discount?
The contract is for a particular price (total monthly rate/charge). This total is calculated to include all discounts, credits, fees, etc. Sprint itself refers to this as "how we calculate charges" (https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm):
---
We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service...If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee...
---

Dan
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM
The contract is for a particular price (total monthly rate/charge). This total is calculated to include all discounts, credits, fees, etc. Sprint itself refers to this as "how we calculate charges" (https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm):
---
We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service...If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee...
---

The thing is, does Sprint feel it is a "material" change or not?

marctronixx
08-17-2010, 04:49 PM
let me toss this out into the wild..

i have 4 lines: 3 handsets and one airave (free to me via the discounts as some of you have also)

3rd line im getting a discount on , and the primary and secondary lines are included in the plan price (1500 minutes), i have an evo and i pay for hotspot and the 10 dollar "rich data experience"...

the 3rd line has always been a backup/emergency line. it WAS costing me about 6 bux. now after this policy change its going to cost 20 bux (cost of the add a line).

im looking to call and just cancel this line as the benefit if keeping it is no longer there. last month i used probably less than 10 minutes on it.

so, and this is strictly opinions i know, how favorable would it be for me to be able to cancel this line and have sprint waive the 200 dollar fee since this policy change is going to cost me more than the benefit of having the line?

line was renewed around 4 months ago (so still falls under 200 dollar ETF and no pro rate until after the 6 month i believe) and i have been with sprint since 1998. excellent history with the carrier.

appreciate the feedback...

pileosnafu
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
let me toss this out into the wild..

i have 4 lines: 3 handsets and one airave (free to me via the discounts as some of you have also)

3rd line im getting a discount on , and the primary and secondary lines are included in the plan price (1500 minutes), i have an evo and i pay for hotspot and the 10 dollar "rich data experience"...

the 3rd line has always been a backup/emergency line. it WAS costing me about 6 bux. now after this policy change its going to cost 20 bux (cost of the add a line).

im looking to call and just cancel this line as the benefit if keeping it is no longer there. last month i used probably less than 10 minutes on it.

so, and this is strictly opinions i know, how favorable would it be for me to be able to cancel this line and have sprint waive the 200 dollar fee since this policy change is going to cost me more than the benefit of having the line?

line was renewed around 4 months ago (so still falls under 200 dollar ETF and no pro rate until after the 6 month i believe) and i have been with sprint since 1998. excellent history with the carrier.

appreciate the feedback...
To not get into the yes its waiveable or no its not debate, going on gernal rule of thumb...

When there is a change and its a waive-able event, its the whole account or nothing. As a the change effects the whole account. You either agree to the change or you don't. Unfortunately you cannot agree to the change only on lines you want to keep, v not need. This is has the process on the past time you could get out of your contract. Again I am not saying you can or not use this as a waive-able event, just using past times for reference.

marctronixx
08-17-2010, 05:36 PM
hey your point is taken. i appreciate you taking time to post. this is why i asked the question.... #thanked

pileosnafu
08-17-2010, 05:42 PM
hey your point is taken. i appreciate you taking time to post. this is why i asked the question.... #thanked

Hey no problem its what the internet is good for.

I know you understood it but I have someone (sitting next to me) who read this post and still did not so I'll explain it another way as well -- which is how they understood

Service Agreements (The 2 year contracts that you get for say a discount) if offered per line, and some discount may require a new 2 year service Agreement for all the lines (The new NVP program for instance even thought it only applies to rate plans above $29.99 and does not apply to connection cards, or Simply Everything) is "Per line"

However the Terms and Conditions -- what governs that whole account -- is where the change takes place, there for only the whole account can agree; or dis-agree....

Now I think I gone and went to wordy but w/e:tu:

thetoad
08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
just an FYI, via the EVP discount page still claims my Add-a-Phone $/month are 25% discounted (my NVP discount)

edit: though as its not run by sprint I place no value in it.

m3latino
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
My bill ending July 26 does not have any notification about the NVP discount removal to my ED1500 plan with 3 lines. I have a 27% corp disc plus the $20 recurring credit for switching from Sero to the ED1500 plan. Guess it doesn't affect me since it wasn't on my July bill.

lgmayka
08-18-2010, 04:40 AM
My bill ending July 26 does not have any notification about the NVP discount removal to my ED1500 plan with 3 lines.
Since the loss of discount on add-a-lines begins on August 27, it would only appear on bills generated 30 days prior. Thus, I would not expect it to occur on a July 26 bill. If Sprint intends to go ahead with this raising of rates, you will see the notice on your August 26 bill.

lgmayka
08-18-2010, 04:44 AM
When there is a change and its a waive-able event, its the whole account or nothing.
According to Sprint's own terms and conditions (http://shop.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml), this is not (or no longer) true:
---
If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee...
---

lgmayka
08-18-2010, 04:46 AM
The thing is, does Sprint feel it is a "material" change or not?
Chuckle. A material change to a contract is not a matter of how one party "feels." Again: price is always material to a contract, so an effective raise in rates is most certainly a material change.

lenny_go
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Chuckle. A material change to a contract is not a matter of how one party "feels." Again: price is always material to a contract, so an effective raise in rates is most certainly a material change.Have you had any success in getting Sprint to see things your way?

How Sprint sees it is very important, because if Sprint sees it your way, you can easily get your ETF waived or some other concession. If Sprint does not, then you will need to pursue them via the courts, which consumes time and money.

lgmayka
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
HIf Sprint does not, then you will need to pursue them via the courts, which consumes time and money.
Actually, the contract provides for arbitration, but your point is well taken. In fact, yours is the best reason that all affected customers should complain as vociferously and publicly as possible about this matter. Enough angry feedback from customers, low evaluations in surveys, and bad publicity in the press, may force Sprint to consider the legal consequences of its planned action.

lenny_go
08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
In fact, yours is the best reason that all affected customers should complain as vociferously and publicly as possible about this matter. Enough angry feedback from customers, low evaluations in surveys, and bad publicity in the press, may force Sprint to consider the legal consequences of its planned action.Heh heh. Well, I can help you there.

By sheer coincidence, I'm dropping an add-a-line next month. Just for you, I'll tell retentions that I'm dropping it due to the NVP policy change, even though I'm really dropping it to get new customer pricing on the Epic. :)

Please be sure to keep this thread updated if you manage to get any concessions from Sprint out of this. Everybody loves concessions.

bikedogrun
08-22-2010, 12:48 PM
OK... lots of opinions but what is the reality?

I just read my bill online (Dated Aug 22) and I am still getting my 20% company discount on "all of my lines & services" on our family plan.

Can anyone share with us that their discount(s) were "removed" on their bills received in the last 3 weeks (since the supposed 8/1 date)???

/BD

rdcrds
08-22-2010, 03:29 PM
OK... lots of opinions but what is the reality?

I just read my bill online (Dated Aug 22) and I am still getting my 20% company discount on "all of my lines & services" on our family plan.

Can anyone share with us that their discount(s) were "removed" on their bills received in the last 3 weeks (since the supposed 8/1 date)???

/BD

I know the site is kinda dead cause if you even get a little heated about things they close threads and ban you in which many people have left SU.

But to answer you question the date is the 27th of this month so it would nto show up on this bill but will the next bill.

lgmayka
08-22-2010, 04:42 PM
The rate change for additional lines takes effect on 8/27. Thus, your billing amount will still show the discount, but your paper or PDF bill will have a notice warning you of the upcoming rate change.

Dan
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I know the site is kinda dead cause if you even get a little heated about things they close threads and ban you in which many people have left SU.

But to answer you question the date is the 27th of this month so it would nto show up on this bill but will the next bill.

I hadn't noticed the site was dead........

If you don't like the rules though, you can ask Lee to change them.

chokaay
08-22-2010, 07:32 PM

I hadn't noticed the site was dead........

If you don't like the rules though, you can ask Lee to change them.

I haven't either. In fact, SU seems to be more "alive" now since HoFo made those (dreadful) changes and now the site loads up slower than ever. In fact, some of the site's features STILL doesn't work correctly, and it's already been HOW MANY months now??? :scratch:

I'm usually on both sites regularly, and I can tell you that traffic to HoFo has dropped dramatically since the changes. Whereas it used to easily top SU in activity, new posts, and active threads... now even the MOST POPULAR HoFo forums are lucky if they get 6 new posts a day (in 3 or more different/new threads).

I miss the "old" HoFo forums (software, features, organization). :crying:

And now back on topic...

jimsmith94
08-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I have received a 20% company discount on my bill since I first started with Sprint in 2001. When I switched to the $30 SERO plan several years ago, the discount remained - until this month's bill!

My billing period was from July 19 through August 18. On the statement I received yesterday for the amount due on September 11, the discount is no longer listed, and my bill is $6.00 higher.

From the first post, "Discount Policy Change Notice: Effective 8/1/10, employee/member discounts will no longer apply to add-on services with a monthly recurring charge of $29.99 or less. Examples include, but are not limited to, Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data Premier."

My bill's raw amount is $30.00, so it is more than the $29.99 mentioned. Before I call and complain to Sprint, can someone tell me why my discount was removed?

Rosatilt
08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
hmmm.... maybe they are taking those off too since sero technically isn't supposed to be discounted??

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
The rate change for additional lines takes effect on 8/27. Thus, your billing amount will still show the discount, but your paper or PDF bill will have a notice warning you of the upcoming rate change.

Yeah, I just noticed the warning on my PDF. My latest bill (due next month) hasn't reflected the price increase. This will really suck though...because the loss of our 15% discount on extra lines and add ons will raise our bill more than $13.50 per month.

With many customers poised to lose their $20/24 or $10/24 credit, I have to question the timing of this change. Why is Sprint doing this NOW? They are already bringing in an influx of income from the new $10/per month/per line fee for 4G phones. Are they so cash strapped as to raise the price of service on EVERY family?

If they "need" this fee, I think that they should have waited at least six months. A family with a $20/24 credit nearing expiration AND three extra lines on a Everything Data plan (with the loss of a 25% discount) will see an increase of approximately per $35 month (loss of $20 recurring credit and the loss of the $15 discount from the three extra lines).

Is anyone finding a recourse for this? We allowed Sprint to move us to the plan in January ONLY because of the bottom line. Now, it seems that Sprint has changed that bottom line. It is extremely disappointing.

It seems that Sprint keeps finding new and exciting ways to make them seem LESS ENTICING to new customers and to those considering whether or not to continue the purchase of service with Sprint.

:icon_smil

Dan
08-22-2010, 11:37 PM
The big question still remains, is it cheaper for the average PDA phone customer on an everything data plan to stay with Sprint or to switch. And, will you set yourself up to have overages if you choose to switch, like with AT&T's new capped data plans.

I'm sure my bill will go up by a few bucks, but the value Sprint gives me makes it well worth a small increase. You may feel the same, you may not :)

ccchhhrrriiisss
08-23-2010, 12:40 AM
The big question still remains, is it cheaper for the average PDA phone customer on an everything data plan to stay with Sprint or to switch. And, will you set yourself up to have overages if you choose to switch, like with AT&T's new capped data plans.

I'm sure my bill will go up by a few bucks, but the value Sprint gives me makes it well worth a small increase. You may feel the same, you may not :)

I agree...to a degree. I guess that I just don't like the "well, if you go elsewhere you will probably pay more anyway" excuse that people repeated when the new $10/line/month fee came along. It is now echoed again. Unfortunately, it seems that Sprint is rapidly narrowing the gap in price differentiation between itself and the "Big 2" competitors (AT&T and Verizon).

I think that Sprint execs are boldly raising prices like this because they really do believe that the EVO has "leveled" the playing field. I just can't help but wonder if this will work out for them in January when Verizon has an iPhone 4 -and- will be coming out with 4G too.

Sprint is a good company (customer service notwithstanding) that offers better prices. That IS their selling point. If their prices were almost identical to the competition, the selling point will not be as attractive -- especially given the still-limited selection (comparatively speaking) that is compounded for non-data plan users (who still make up the bulk of cellular customers).

I think that it is a mistake to do anything that makes the company less appealing by price increases like this. First, let Sprint raise its brand name to the point of being a GREAT alternative to the other companies. Once that happens, it would be understandable for Sprint's prices to narrow the savings gap.

This is just my opinion, though.

:p

UALOneKPlus
08-23-2010, 03:50 AM
I haven't either. In fact, SU seems to be more "alive" now since HoFo made those (dreadful) changes and now the site loads up slower than ever. In fact, some of the site's features STILL doesn't work correctly, and it's already been HOW MANY months now??? :scratch:

I'm usually on both sites regularly, and I can tell you that traffic to HoFo has dropped dramatically since the changes. Whereas it used to easily top SU in activity, new posts, and active threads... now even the MOST POPULAR HoFo forums are lucky if they get 6 new posts a day (in 3 or more different/new threads).

I miss the "old" HoFo forums (software, features, organization). :crying:

And now back on topic...
Off topic - I agree. What the hell happened over there? I used to browse there, but the forum is now broken such that when I view a thread, it scrolls to the right horizontally beyond infinity. It's virtually impossible to view. And the site is so slow and freezes up my browser I just exit out entirely.

Whoever did that to HoFo really screwed it up. And they went overboard with dozens of sub-forums for each carrier. Who has time to scroll through every sub-forum to find something? Yea HoFo really sucks big time right now.

Back on topic - my bill went up a whopping $1.40... :rolleyes:

lgmayka
08-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Is anyone finding a recourse for this?
This was discussed earlier in the thread. Legally, it's pretty clear to me (and probably to an arbitrator) that if your most recent contract renewal was at the discounted rate, Sprint's raising of that rate (by "removal of the discount") is a material change to your contract, and you have the right to cancel the additional lines (i.e., the ones whose rate was raised) without ETF.

Sprint's lawyers apparently know this too, because Sprint recently changed its Terms and Conditions (http://shop.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml) almost exactly to describe this situation:
---
We may change any part of the Agreement at any time, including, but not limited to, rates, charges, how we calculate charges, or your terms of Service. We will provide you notice of material changes, and may provide you notice of non-material changes, in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). If a change we make to the Agreement is material and has a material adverse effect on Services under your Term Commitment, you may terminate each line of Service materially affected without incurring an Early Termination Fee...
---

So I suggest you call Sprint and request/demand that they mark your lines for ETF-free port-out. If you're lucky, Sprint will either expire your contracts (which has value in itself) or offer you something--e.g., a month's service credit--to stay.

Unfortunately, Sprint's executives often don't listen to their own lawyers, and instead instruct employees and supervisors to lie to customers and stonewall. So if you call up and threaten to cancel the lines, you may run up against a supervisor who says, "There's nothing I can do for you." In that case, all I could do was to quickly say, "Then there's no point in continuing this conversation--good day," hang up, and--when surveyed the next day--give that supervisor the lowest grades in all categories. And then try again the next evening.

The best I could do was half of one month's service credit ($65). Their reason for flatly refusing to give me a full month's service credit was that I had gotten $280 ($70 x 4) in renewal credits within the last several months. Of course, they could have simply admitted the material change and expired my contracts, but they couldn't do that because, as they explicitly said, they were given executive instructions to deny, deny, deny.

HPLouis
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM

This is what Sprint's banking on. These little price increases will not be enough to drive most people away and they know this. Think about it. If you're on a $30 SERO plan or a $50, 1000 F&F family plan with 2 lines, free unlimited texts, free data, etc., where else are you going to go? Verizon, AT&T? They know that people aren't going to say, "I can't believe you're raising my rates! I refuse to pay $65 for phone service. I'll go to Verizon where I'm pay $90 for the same service!" They also know that people won't go to T-Mobile or any of the other carriers becuase they don't give them the same features and phones that Sprint can give them.

Think about it....how credible will an argument be to Sprint when a customer calls in and says something like, "I want an EVO and I don't want to change plans and pay more money! I'll go somewhere else!" They know that a Droid or iPhone will cost more money elsewhere so they'll always call the customer's bluff

Henry

ZiggyZ
08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I think that Sprint execs are boldly raising prices like this because they really do believe that the EVO has "leveled" the playing field. I just can't help but wonder if this will work out for them in January when Verizon has an iPhone 4 -and- will be coming out with 4G too.

How has the EVO REALLY levelled the playing field? The commericals and such and the fact that it is now available(not really), MENTALLY levels the playing field. But when it really comes down to it, it hasn't really levelled the playing field at all, due to the lack of Supply of the phone itself. I know of at leave 12 people people both friends and/or people at work, that were all gun-ho about ditching Verizon and AT&T and T-Mobile. When they went to the WEBSITE, says phone NOT AVAILABLE. When they go to the STORE, they say NOT IN STOCK, to wait a few days. When they go back still unavailable because the one or 2 phones they got in are ALREADY SOLD out and will be another week till they possibly get more. And you can forget about BestBuy. Their may be some alternate routes of possibly getting the device. But a customers main Point of contact on initially getting service is going to be web or a store location.

So all-in-all, this handset hasn't levelled the playing field YET. If they would have had adequet supply on initial launch and the month or so following then I would have said that it would have levelled the playing field because sprint was the 1st carrier to release such a device. Granted, the device is still superior to some of the other game playing phones, like the incredible. Still has a Better Camera and 4G than the other latest phone releases.

lenny_go
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM
If you're on a $30 SERO plan or a $50, 1000 F&F family plan with 2 lines, free unlimited texts, free data, etc., where else are you going to go? Verizon, AT&T? I don't know about SERO, but you can get Unlimited Talk/Text on Page Plus (http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans/Unlimited%20Talk%20n%20Text.aspx) (a Verizon MVNO, so you'll probably be upgrading your reception in some areas) for $44.95/mo with no fees/surcharges. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Not sure how Sprint share plans compare, but on an individual plan, there are options.
Think about it....how credible will an argument be to Sprint when a customer calls in and says something like, "I want an EVO and I don't want to change plans and pay more money! I'll go somewhere else!" They know that a Droid or iPhone will cost more money elsewhere so they'll always call the customer's bluffHave you priced out individual plans on Verizon against Sprint's Everything Data + $10 4G fee? I think you'll find that they're within $5 or so.

Sprint is still the low cost king on smartphone share plans. If I was on an individual plan, however, it would be with Verizon.

HPLouis
08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't know about SERO, but you can get Unlimited Talk/Text on Page Plus (http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans/Unlimited%20Talk%20n%20Text.aspx) (a Verizon MVNO, so you'll probably be upgrading your reception in some areas) for $44.95/mo with no fees/surcharges. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Not sure how Sprint share plans compare, but on an individual plan, there are options.
Have you priced out individual plans on Verizon against Sprint's Everything Data + $10 4G fee? I think you'll find that they're within $5 or so.

Sprint is still the low cost king on smartphone share plans. If I was on an individual plan, however, it would be with Verizon.

I agree. I tried that argument with someone from executive Services recently. I told him that my plan with AT&T was $5 more than Sprint's plan. all they could do is tell me that I'm getting more with them than I am with AT&T (earlier nights and weekends, free calling to any cell phone, free navigation, etc.). I even acknowledged that I am getting more but I don't need it. It's like me taking my kid to an adult buffet. It's a waste of money.

I understood their position and they understood mine. I ended up going back to AT&T.

Henry

chokaay
08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I agree. I tried that argument with someone from executive Services recently. I told him that my plan with AT&T was $5 more than Sprint's plan. all they could do is tell me that I'm getting more with them than I am with AT&T (earlier nights and weekends, free calling to any cell phone, free navigation, etc.). I even acknowledged that I am getting more but I don't need it. It's like me taking my kid to an adult buffet. It's a waste of money.

I understood their position and they understood mine. I ended up going back to AT&T.

Henry

I agree... while Sprint may give you more for the money, Sprint may not be suitable for people who don't have use for all they give (especially AMAT, Early N&W, Unlimited Text, AND Unlimited Data).

It's good that both parties understood and respected each other's side. There's only "so much" Sprint can do sometimes... and sometimes that's just not enough. In these cases, it's best if both parties parted ways and the customer finds another carrier more suitable for their usage, wants, and needs.

jimsmith94
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I have received a 20% company discount on my bill since I first started with Sprint in 2001. When I switched to the $30 SERO plan several years ago, the discount remained - until this month's bill!

My billing period was from July 19 through August 18. On the statement I received yesterday for the amount due on September 11, the discount is no longer listed, and my bill is $6.00 higher.

From the first post, "Discount Policy Change Notice: Effective 8/1/10, employee/member discounts will no longer apply to add-on services with a monthly recurring charge of $29.99 or less. Examples include, but are not limited to, Messaging Add-Ons, Data Packs, and Data Premier."

My bill's raw amount is $30.00, so it is more than the $29.99 mentioned. Before I call and complain to Sprint, can someone tell me why my discount was removed?
Update: I called *2 last night and the very nice lady said that Sprint is auditing accounts, and mine was flagged for having two discounts. She said SERO itself is considered a discount, so having a corporate discount on top of that is not allowed, and was thus removed.

She did confirm the October 1 date as being able to add Android phones to SERO accounts, and recommended that I hang tight until then.

lenny_go
08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
all they could do is tell me that I'm getting more with them than I am with AT&T (earlier nights and weekends, free calling to any cell phone, free navigation, etc.). I even acknowledged that I am getting more but I don't need it. Don't forget the NASCAR app! :lol:

xasx
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
has anyone successfully cancelled ETF free due to this change?

Lord Bricks
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

i too would like confirmation of this!

deathwis
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Just got my bill, lost the discount on my other lines, the bill is about $13 higher than before...sucks...talked to a rep via chat and he pretty much said there is nothing he can do....i am going to give them a call and complain.

lenny_go
09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Just got my bill, lost the discount on my other lines, the bill is about $13 higher than before...sucks...talked to a rep via chat and he pretty much said there is nothing he can do....i am going to give them a call and complain.I was able to get my contract marked as fulfilled. Please feel free to read the entire saga here (http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2409530&postcount=74).

lgmayka
09-08-2010, 10:29 PM
My friend was specifically offered ETF-free cancellation on this basis. He took down the retentions rep's name, etc., but hasn't made a final decision yet.

mikiesmith
12-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Hi new member here, what credit unions quailfy for discount?

mikiesmith
12-05-2010, 06:46 AM

Moring, can you have more than one discount i.e. Borders 13% and sprint employee discount of $10.00?

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.