PDA

View Full Version : How much data usage is too much under unlimited.

Fatal_Desain
07-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi, I am considering making sprint my primary isp for data. Now I have 5 lines all with unlimited data and all together we use about 15gb of data. Of the five lines only one is using 14gb of data and the rest a few hundred megs.
In the past month I have tethered off a bb 9650 about 13gb's. Right now I don't know if sprint is blocking it but it is extremly hard to tether thru it right now. Could be signal or something else but I doubt it.

Anyway now I have another line with an evo on it and I get even better tether speeds and will probably hit 20gbs next month since I just got a slingbox and I don't have cable where I am most times. On my comcast account I download about 900gb a month easy so to me 20gbs is really nothing.

Both comcast and sprint have told me that I have unlimited internet so I really don't understand why this word is used if it is not that.

Anyway if somebody could answer some of these questions it would help.

1. Is sprint paying for data? Or do they have a t1 one hooked up or something similar. T1's go for like 300 a month and I pay sprint that almost every month.

2. How do they come up with data caps? Most customers do not even know how to use there phones and have low data usage, so an average of all customers really would not be fair.

3. If I am a customer that is affecting sprints network why can't they let me know, I would cancel my service if I am abusing it but according to any rep or manager they tell me that I have unlimited data and there is no cap.

4. Is there really a difference on using 10gb's tethering compared to just using it on the phone. I thought internet was internet.

Sorry it's alot for my first post but I thought this was the best place to ask.

Texas
07-03-2010, 04:45 PM
They put 5gb caps on data cards, but you think it is okay to use up 20+gb tethering? Are you kidding?

Dan
07-03-2010, 05:16 PM
You get "unlimited" data for use on the device. If your hitting 20GB then I can see what Sprint is likely looking at you.

If you have an EVO, and 4G, pay for the WiFi plan and connect "legally." Its people who tether without paying for it, and use this much data, that can cause issues for the rest of us.

Fatal_Desain
07-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok lets say I do 20GB watching tv on my phone thru my slingbox does that make it better. Once froyo is up on the evo I won't even need to tether anymore. Like when did someone decide what is to much data.

Dan
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok lets say I do 20GB watching tv on my phone thru my slingbox does that make it better. Once froyo is up on the evo I won't even need to tether anymore. Like when did someone decide what is to much data.

When your usage exceeded what is "normal and customary" for a typical range of customers using your type of a device.

Sprint can, if they choose to, send you a letter indicating that your utilization of network resources is excessive and terminate your service. I'm not saying they will, but they retain the right to in your contract.

Maybe it would be smart to just get a home ISP and stop overloading Sprint's network, but only you can decide how much you like your Sprint service or how willing you would be to switch providers if Sprint terminated you.

Fatal_Desain
07-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'm just going to go with att for now since I will be using alot of data but sprint is going to lose 3 of my lines so that will be less money for them.

Alot of you guys believe that it is hurting the network I don't believe that. It's just another way for them to make more money. Data Caps will be the most profitable overage at the rate these companies are going.

bluegrass
07-03-2010, 06:42 PM
But AT&T does have data cap ?

big_ole_truck
07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I typically use about 6-7 GB a month with phone apps (I don't tether the laptop).

The way I see it, you may get bumped from Sprint if they so want. But if you go to other carriers, you'll be paying a fortune for that data usage.

Maybe a bit of moderation is the key. You'll continue to enjoy the data usage and have a cheaper cellphone bill in the process.

sfhub
07-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Anyway now I have another line with an evo on it and I get even better tether speeds and will probably hit 20gbs next month since I just got a slingbox and I don't have cable where I am most times. On my comcast account I download about 900gb a month easy so to me 20gbs is really nothing.

You are lucky not to have gotten a letter or call from Comcast. They do enforce their 250GB cap.

http://www.comcast.net/terms/use/

Are there restrictions on data consumption that apply to the Service?

The Service is for personal and non-commercial residential use only. Therefore, Comcast reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service accounts where data consumption is not characteristic of a typical residential user of the Service as determined by the company in its sole discretion. Comcast has established a monthly data consumption threshold per Comcast High-Speed Internet account of 250 Gigabytes (“GB”). Use of the Service in excess of 250GB per month is excessive use and is a violation of the Policy. See the Network Management page at http://www.comcast.net/terms/network/ for more information and to learn how Comcast applies this Policy to excessive use.

Evan702
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah I'm just going to go with att for now since I will be using alot of data but sprint is going to lose 3 of my lines so that will be less money for them.

Given that at&t's caps are even less lenient, I don't really see how that move helps you at all. :confused:

goodiemob
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM
900 GB's?wow

dssproxy
07-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I think it all depends, I always hit about 15-20GB. Sprint is my only ISP and has been for awhile. I get pretty good speeds too.. But I am "legal".. Sprint has never said anything.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7550/pamn.png

VisionsDivine
07-04-2010, 01:59 AM
I've probably used more data tethering than anyone else on this forum. 5-20 gigs consistently and then upwards to 100GB on some months. I haven't heard anything from Sprint about my usage. If you're thinking of hitting more than what I've said above, then it's uncharted waters and no one in this forum is really going to have an answer for your question. The rule of thumb is that they'll send you a nasgygram first about your excessive usage before they consider canceling your service. I don't think it's even possible to hit 900GB in a month on EVDO, but i would think that the kind of heroic usage you're suggesting would likely be at the top of Sprint's list for investigations of abuse.

boomhower
07-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Folks like you are what is going to kill it for the rest of us. People who are tethering 20GB's a month is going to get Sprint to stop overlooking it. Sprint has been letting us tether for free for a while now. Most folks use common sense and limit their use to reasonable amounts. Folks who are using it to replace the home internet are going to kill that. Pay for the services you use if you are going to use that much. Get the hotspot feature on your EVO and use your 5GB's. Or even better if you have 4G you can tether pretty much whatever you want.

If you think you are going to leave Sprint and go to AT&T or Verizon and do this you have a lesson coming, and it's going to be expensive.

big_ole_truck
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I think it all depends, I always hit about 15-20GB. Sprint is my only ISP and has been for awhile. I get pretty good speeds too.. But I am "legal".. Sprint has never said anything.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7550/pamn.png

That's an impressive account!

gregory812
07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
1. Is sprint paying for data? Or do they have a t1 one hooked up or something similar. T1's go for like 300 a month and I pay sprint that almost every month.

2. How do they come up with data caps? Most customers do not even know how to use there phones and have low data usage, so an average of all customers really would not be fair.

3. If I am a customer that is affecting sprints network why can't they let me know, I would cancel my service if I am abusing it but according to any rep or manager they tell me that I have unlimited data and there is no cap.

4. Is there really a difference on using 10gb's tethering compared to just using it on the phone. I thought internet was internet.

1. It doesn't really matter what Sprint's expenses are. They charge you whatever you agreed upon. Even if the profit is extraordinary, they are still in the right. If I could sell someone one penny for $100, it's fair game once they agree.

2. Statistical trickery, I would guess. If like Comcast: They don't discount the outliers using minimal data, yet discount the outliers using tremendous data when calculating averages. By doing so, the average appears lower than it realistically is. Nevertheless, it's their game. If you buy a bottomless pot of coffee at Ihop, order nothing else, but sit there refilling the pot for a week straight they will kick you out.

3. Be careful what you wish for. Comcast had a similar ghost policy about excessive data usage for years. After clarification was demanded from customers, it became a full-on 250GB limit. If exceeding the limit they suspend your account for a year. At least with a ghost policy you can plead ignorance.

4. Internet on a laptop = a big funnel. Internet on a cell phone = a small funnel. Internet = 10 gallons of water. It will take much longer to drain the water through the small funnel than it will the big funnel ; It will take much longer to use 10GB of data on the cell phone than it will a computer.

If someone taps their phone to produce tethering illegitimately, they are still paying for the same service which assumes data will be on the phone exclusively. I, personally, think that's fine as long as they be mindful of what their money pays for: As much data as a sane person could use on a 2.5" screen, i.e., not very much.

Duffman
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
As much data as a sane person could use on a 2.5" screen, i.e., not very much.
Perfect!

VDubb
07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Explain to me how in the heck you're going to pull that off? Unless you're with AT&T currently, they have ZERO unlimited data plans for air cards and smartphones. Data cards are capped at 5GB and smartphone plans are capped at 2GB.

- VDubb

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.