PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to reduce my monthly bill?

cypher543
02-07-2010, 12:37 AM
I'm a college student and just recently started my own part-time computer repair business. It's not exactly bringing in the big bucks, and I can't find another job, so I'm looking to reduce my monthly payments across the board as much as possible.

I removed the equipment protection fee, which will help a bit, but I keep hearing about how people are able to lower their monthly bill just by asking a CSR. I have a spending limit (although I'm not quite sure why it hasn't been removed yet... my credit isn't bad), so I assume I'm not eligible for the $20/24 credit. My contract doesn't end for another 5 months, so I'm not sure a threat of cancellation will work.

I have an Everything 450 plan and a Palm Pre, which I love. I really don't want to give up the Pre and I definitely like getting email while on the road. However, I rarely use it to make actual phone calls, and when I do, it's usually on nights and weekends which are free anyway. I definitely need unlimited texting and data, but I could do without a ton of minutes. 120 is good enough for me.

Will it be possible to knock off the number of minutes while lowering my monthly bill, but staying with the Everything plan and Palm Pre?

I'd rather get your opinions before I try this with a CSR. Thanks!

motoracer1486
02-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Nope.

dlichterman
02-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Will it be possible to knock off the number of minutes while lowering my monthly bill, but staying with the Everything plan and Palm Pre?

450 Is the lowest one unfortunately. Are you a member of a credit union(10% discount)?

cypher543
02-07-2010, 10:12 AM
450 Is the lowest one unfortunately. Are you a member of a credit union(10% discount)?

Not at the moment, but I'm looking into joining one.

big_ole_truck
02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
You could use an internet search engine to find great ways on how to lower your monthly Sprint bill. Some of the tactics are not ethical (IMHO) but it will get the job done.

But give Sprint a call and see if they can help you in your quest for a lower monthly bill. The $20/24 credit can be applied to an account with ASL (there's another thread with a member stating they had ASL and got the credit), so it's not out of your realm. When you talk to the CS rep, politely ask to be transferred to AS rep. When you get the AS rep, state clearly you aren't threathening to quit but have been told there's a $20/24 credit available and start pleading poverty as a student. Sometimes honesty does pay and if the AS feels the kindness in his/her heart, then you can be on your way to a cheaper monthly bill.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Shauli
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
You can get the Sprint Basic 200 plan which gives you only 200 minutes for 29.99 and then add texting and data separatly, and over all it should come out significantly less. For example, I pay only $10 a month for unlimited data and $1 for 500 texts. thats much less than an everything plan. Though I dont know if they will allow those rates for ur Pre which is a smartphone.

Shauli
02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Oh, and btw, can someone please tell me what $20/24 credit means, and what does AS rep stand for? Thanks.

hoo.haaa
02-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm a college student and just recently started my own part-time computer repair business. It's not exactly bringing in the big bucks, and I can't find another job, so I'm looking to reduce my monthly payments across the board as much as possible.

I removed the equipment protection fee, which will help a bit, but I keep hearing about how people are able to lower their monthly bill just by asking a CSR. I have a spending limit (although I'm not quite sure why it hasn't been removed yet... my credit isn't bad), so I assume I'm not eligible for the $20/24 credit. My contract doesn't end for another 5 months, so I'm not sure a threat of cancellation will work.

I have an Everything 450 plan and a Palm Pre, which I love. I really don't want to give up the Pre and I definitely like getting email while on the road. However, I rarely use it to make actual phone calls, and when I do, it's usually on nights and weekends which are free anyway. I definitely need unlimited texting and data, but I could do without a ton of minutes. 120 is good enough for me.

I'd rather get your opinions before I try this with a CSR. Thanks!

Enter your school email in

http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/nxt/ais/wdyw.asp

that is Sprints direct employee discount page. Most Universities have a 10-15% discount off their monthly bill. Also there are pages upon pages written about the $20/24. Your best bet is to read the different experiences people have had and imitate. Also I have a spending limit on my account as well and I was able to get the $20/24.

Hope this helps

Dan
02-07-2010, 02:22 PM
As others have said, try your school email address, as some discounts are for students as well as teachers. Try finding out if your part time job offers any discount, as many companies do. If your job is on campus, it typically qualifies for the school discount.

Credit union. Join one and save 10% each month. Most require just a $5 deposit to open an account, and it would save you $7 a month.

Lastly, the ASL. If you have paid on time for the last 12 months, the ASL should be lifted. The new ASL fee of $5 unless you set up auto-pay is insane IMO, but it is what it is. See if you are supposed to still have an ASL.

Last, after you have done those other steps, contact Sprint, choose cancellations from the main menu and see if you can get either $10/12 or $20/24 applied to your bill. Both require a renewal of your agreement, for either 1 year for the $10 credit, or 2 years for the $20 credit. Since you have 5 months left on your agreement, your termination fee should be $50 if you pick another carrier. Just tell them you need to cut costs and that you were told of things they can do to help you with your bill and keep you as a customer.

Good luck!

KB112
02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Another option a few peeps have done is get the discount for having an AOL address. I believe an aim address works the same. These give you 10% discounts and you don;t have to open another bank account. Just a thought. But call and see what you can get, hopefully they can give you at least a $5 or $10 credit, with a 10% discount. This should help a lil bit more.

diveborg
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Oh, and btw, can someone please tell me what $20/24 credit means, and what does AS rep stand for? Thanks.

$20/24 = monthly $20 credit for 24 months

AS = Account Services, the people you talk to when you want to cancel. They have more latitude to offer you stuff to keep you as a Sprint customer.

ryan1918
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
You can get the credit union discount even if they aren't at one, there is no way they can verify where you actually belong to with all the new laws, they cannot access your information, but you could extend your contact and ask for a $10 credit each month for 24 months which could help you out.

dlichterman
02-21-2010, 03:29 AM
You can get the credit union discount even if they aren't at one, there is no way they can verify where you actually belong to with all the new laws

Defrauding sprint is not cool. Most credit unions require only a small deposit to join.

ryan1918
02-21-2010, 01:54 PM
yeah $5 to open a account, and it could save you hundreds every year, if not more.

hoo.haaa
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Or you can just obtain an aol email address and automatically get 10%. AS has been very generous with me in the past and a lot of times you don't have to lie to them to get a discount. Just explain that you are trying to get these employee discounts and explain your employer is not offering one. You would be surprised how far honesty can take you. I was offered 27% which slightly higher than my current 25% for doing nothing but trying to discuss the new ASL fee being implemented.

Shauli
03-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread. After reading this thread, I called Sprint AS and asked about the $20/24 credit and the first rep said I didn't qualify cause I had ASL, but I knew he was wrong (or lying) cause I read here some people got this credit despite having ASL. I called back the next day, and sure enough the rep said ASL didn't matter, though she proceeded to remove the ASL, and she added a $10/24 credit to my account- she said $20/24 was not available for MY ACCOUNT (???)- even though I'm only 18 months into my 2 yr contact, and I already have a 25% corp. discount! Thank you Sprint, and thanks all!

big_ole_truck
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM
The $20/24 credit was halted and in it's place, the $10/24 credit took over.

Your saving $15/month with the ASL removal and the new credit. Not bad!

KB112
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you got a decent score there Shauli. Getting the ASL removed is a nice touch too.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.