PDA

View Full Version : How can I get activation fee/upgrade fee waived?

DannyNYC
09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
wanna upgrade, not a fan of fees, how do I get em waived?

SLME
09-28-2009, 06:10 PM
If you are a Premier customer there is no activation fee on the primary line upgrade..

tomc585
09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
try asking, make it seem like its a deal buster if you will be charged for it.

mrstak
09-28-2009, 07:00 PM
You might also call back after you place an order and say that you didn't know you had to pay an activation fee and that no one ever told you. They might waive it that way too.

w7excursion
09-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Order over the phone and tell them you dont have internet access to order online to get free shipping and activation. They will waive the fees then.

hytek369
09-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Order over the phone and tell them you dont have internet access to order online to get free shipping and activation. They will waive the fees then.

very clever ;)

William83
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Avoid any stores and go online. I just upgraded one of my line to Lg Lotus with NO shipping, NO activation fee, and NO tax because the phone is free.

kown
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
just tell em they will do it as long as you dont have a huge adjustment history

Advanced Technical Support

Hired Gun
09-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Order online.

Discretionary adjustments are going to become a thing of the past. Sprint was putting out over $17 million a month in discretionary credits and it determined to reduce that number. We all had to sign off on a new zero tollerance for discretionary credits. Our criteria to give an adjustment now is it must be a Sprint error or the customer must either block or buy whatever is costing them for a 1 time adjustment. Shipping and activation are valid fees.

Sales from the website do not charge the fees. Why? Because everytime you call sprint it costs sprint at least $35.00 for a live agent to answer the phone. This is why they have spent millions on the self service options including the website. Sprint is will to basically pay you to use the website to avoid the expense of talking to a live person. That's why they waive the fees when you order online.

bigchico68
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
wanna upgrade, not a fan of fees, how do I get em waived?

be a premiere customer or order online.

worldcrashing
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
If you're at risk of canceling based on upgrade fees they will waive them in a heartbeat.

tariding
10-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Call in and say you are a credit union member. you will get 10% off your mothly service rate plus waived activation fees. It can take 2-3 bill cycles for the discount to show up, though.

06MS6
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Sales from the website do not charge the fees. Why? Because everytime you call sprint it costs sprint at least $35.00 for a live agent to answer the phone. This is why they have spent millions on the self service options including the website. Sprint is will to basically pay you to use the website to avoid the expense of talking to a live person. That's why they waive the fees when you order online.

This is why it really ticks me off that Sprint and AT&T charge customers upgrade fees when they upgrade through us at Best Buy. We are not costing their agents any time or effort so the fee is bogus in that situation. Verizon does not charge an upgrade fee when going through Best Buy, but they do at their stores; this is the way it should be done (2nd best solution to completely ditching upgrade fees all together).

bigchico68
10-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Call in and say you are a credit union member. you will get 10% off your mothly service rate plus waived activation fees. It can take 2-3 bill cycles for the discount to show up, though.

seriously. I mean they don't just give anyone discounts, you have to give proof, not just say "oh yeah I am member or I am employee here give me a discount." come on now.

Dan
10-01-2009, 08:11 PM
seriously. I mean they don't just give anyone discounts, you have to give proof, not just say "oh yeah I am member or I am employee here give me a discount." come on now.

Credit unions are one of the few things you can simply be a member and qualify for a discount. What sprint may ask for as proof, I have no idea. They may simply ask for what CU you are a member of. Obviously they cant ask you to send them a statement with all of your balance information viewable!

bill875
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I have experienced the wrath of that new Zero tolerance policy. I requested the $18 fee be waived because I recently upgraded one of my 5 lines and it was done at Radio Shack, thereby not costing Sprint anything. They have flat-out denied me by telling me this is a legitimate fee as it costs them money to add the phone to the "Sprint Network". Wow, they must really think I'm stupid. I would be more than happy to enter the MEID on their website if they would allow me to. I have seriously started contemplating jumping ship after almost 10 years. This is NOT how you treat your loyal customers. Up until this week, I have been really trying to convince everyone I know just how great Sprint is, despite their reputation. Well, those days are now over I'm afraid. Mr. Hesse is seriously warped if he thinks this is going to help their situation. In the end, I think more long-time customers will walk since they are treating us the same way, actually worse, than the competition does. I know, I'm also an AT&T Business Premier customer and they seem to bend over backwards when I call.

Dan
10-02-2009, 12:45 AM
I have experienced the wrath of that new Zero tolerance policy. I requested the $18 fee be waived because I recently upgraded one of my 5 lines and it was done at Radio Shack, thereby not costing Sprint anything. They have flat-out denied me by telling me this is a legitimate fee as it costs them money to add the phone to the "Sprint Network". Wow, they must really think I'm stupid. I would be more than happy to enter the MEID on their website if they would allow me to. I have seriously started contemplating jumping ship after almost 10 years. This is NOT how you treat your loyal customers. Up until this week, I have been really trying to convince everyone I know just how great Sprint is, despite their reputation. Well, those days are now over I'm afraid. Mr. Hesse is seriously warped if he thinks this is going to help their situation. In the end, I think more long-time customers will walk since they are treating us the same way, actually worse, than the competition does. I know, I'm also an AT&T Business Premier customer and they seem to bend over backwards when I call.

The fee is legitimate, and should have been clearly indicated to you at purchase. having said that, some sellers have "fee free" upgrades and activations, and you can add a line or upgrade fee free by ordering on sprint.com.

Did you choose radio shack as their pricing was better than Sprint corporate and their rebates were instant? If you order direct from Sprint, the have far lower costs for your activation as they are not paying a dealer commission for the transaction. That may be why some have better luck than others.

Finally, if your telling all your friends, etc how great sprint is, I assume that you had a friend to do a #REF with so you both got some money. Everyone you convinced to try Sprint could have done #REF to your line and got you $25 , 50 or 75 per new line of service. They would have gotten $25 also.

AT&T charges an activation or upgrade fee, Verizon does also. How is Sprint horrible in this exactly?

Hired Gun
10-02-2009, 08:39 AM
This is why it really ticks me off that Sprint and AT&T charge customers upgrade fees when they upgrade through us at Best Buy. We are not costing their agents any time or effort so the fee is bogus in that situation. Verizon does not charge an upgrade fee when going through Best Buy, but they do at their stores; this is the way it should be done (2nd best solution to completely ditching upgrade fees all together).

Buy a new phone at Best Buy and you should not be seeing any Sprint fees for that in any way. Sprint was not involved with the sale. Sprint customer service will gladly activate the Best Buy phone for you for no charge.

jkoogler
10-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I recently upgraded using the $150 upgrade "benefit" that is awarded to me as a premier customer. When upgrading I went to the local Sprint store so I could speak to a human being to assure everything was being done right. Not a fan of doing certain things online like phone purchases. After being charged the $18 dollar fee for each phone, I called Sprint and kindly indicated that they were giving me a benefit but were charging me to use that benefit. The rep was more than willing to refund the the whole amount for the upgrade.

thecheet
10-02-2009, 11:20 AM
You could just call and ask. That's what I do.

06MS6
10-02-2009, 11:37 AM
AT&T charges an activation or upgrade fee, Verizon does also. How is Sprint horrible in this exactly?

But Verizon does not charge an upgrade fee if you purchase from Best Buy (I assume Radio Shack as well). That's the thing, they aren't expending the labor to do the upgrade so they don't charge a fee when it's done at 3rd party sellers; that makes sense, Sprint's way doesn't.

If I were affected by this I would never leave Sprint because of it, but I still don't think it's the right thing to do.

BerryChic
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
But Verizon does not charge an upgrade fee if you purchase from Best Buy (I assume Radio Shack as well). That's the thing, they aren't expending the labor to do the upgrade so they don't charge a fee when it's done at 3rd party sellers; that makes sense, Sprint's way doesn't.

If I were affected by this I would never leave Sprint because of it, but I still don't think it's the right thing to do.

Don't worry... Verizon makes up for that $18 difference within the first month (maybe week) of your first month of service vs. Sprint service.

Look, it may be something written in the contract between Best Buy and Sprint as a compensation thing for their mobile employees in BB store. We really don't know. The only thing that is free as far as upgrade is online which is the only type of upgrade that does not take any human manpower other than the customer's so someone has to get paid somehow. Not saying its fair, just sayin...

06MS6
10-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Don't worry... Verizon makes up for that $18 difference within the first month (maybe week) of your first month of service vs. Sprint service.

Look, it may be something written in the contract between Best Buy and Sprint as a compensation thing for their mobile employees in BB store. We really don't know. The only thing that is free as far as upgrade is online which is the only type of upgrade that does not take any human manpower other than the customer's so someone has to get paid somehow. Not saying its fair, just sayin...

Why bring monthly prices into this? That would be as fair an argument as saying "Well, Sprint can charge one time fees more because their plans are cheaper."

Best Buy doesn't see any of the $18 from Sprint or AT&T (further proven by the fact that I can get my AT&T rep to waive every upgrade fee if I wanted to text him that often) so I still say that's just flat out wrong.

Either way, I don't see it changing, Sprint (and AT&T) will deal with the complaints as long as they know some will go along and pay the $18 without so much as a second glance; it's easy revenue.

And you say someone has to get paid somehow, I'm pretty sure that's what the 2-year contract is for; and really, come on, how hard is it for a rep to process an upgrade? :p

Dan
10-02-2009, 02:35 PM

While its possible you can upgrade "fee free" at bby for verizon or AT&T, its a deal that bby worked out with those carriers. If bby wanted the same deal with Sprint, they would simply give back X dollars on the agent commission and make the upgrades fee free.

I believe I can upgrade "fee free" at the kiosk at sams club, but not at radio shack (though both owned by the same company.) Its all on their deal with the carrier

BerryChic
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Why bring monthly prices into this? That would be as fair an argument as saying "Well, Sprint can charge one time fees more because their plans are cheaper."

Well, because I was speaking IMO $18 is a drop in the bucket compared to the money I would be dishing out for a comparable plan that I would have on VZ.

__

I don't know if you missed it but in the end of my post, I said "Not saying its fair" which implies that I don't necessarily agree with it. The fact of the matter is, its a competitive fee which means its probably here to stay, unless all carriers agreed to end it. I don't like paying it as much as you but like you said "If I were affected by this I would never leave Sprint because of it".

Hired Gun
10-02-2009, 05:27 PM
The $18 upgrade fee is always added by the point of sale. If Best Buy is charging it then take this up with Best Buy. When I look at the $18 fee, the auto account notes always show the dealer account inquirey followed by the dealer added fee and then usually the manual device programming screen is accessed by the dealer next. That why whenever someones asks to have it adjusted they are referd to the person that added the fee. (the point of sale)

fgcchevy
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
the last time I upgraded to the htc touch pro 1 at best buy, I called sprint and old them that the reason I got it at best buy was because sprint was oos at both retail and online. They gave me a credit and that was that.

ill
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
if you qualify for an upgrade and buy your phone at best buy or radio shack.. do they have to activate it right then and there for you to receive the update?

06MS6
10-02-2009, 08:44 PM
While its possible you can upgrade "fee free" at bby for verizon or AT&T, its a deal that bby worked out with those carriers. If bby wanted the same deal with Sprint, they would simply give back X dollars on the agent commission and make the upgrades fee free.

I believe I can upgrade "fee free" at the kiosk at sams club, but not at radio shack (though both owned by the same company.) Its all on their deal with the carrier

Actually AT&T does charge the upgrade fee just like Sprint at Best Buy (our AT&T rep will waive it without question, but it's officially there). If Best Buy were getting any cut from the fee I would think it would be something charged by Best Buy, not Sprint. I've asked my carrier reps and they never said the retailer gets a cut, I may not be in a "behind the scenes" position, but I still think it goes all to the carrier (again noted by the eagerness of my AT&T rep to waive the upgrade fees).

The $18 upgrade fee is always added by the point of sale. If Best Buy is charging it then take this up with Best Buy.

The upgrade fee is tacked onto the next Sprint bill, it is not collected by Best Buy/Radio Shack.

I'm really not trying to argue, just doing my best to make the situation clear.

Dan
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Actually AT&T does charge the upgrade fee just like Sprint at Best Buy (our AT&T rep will waive it without question, but it's officially there). If Best Buy were getting any cut from the fee I would think it would be something charged by Best Buy, not Sprint. I've asked my carrier reps and they never said the retailer gets a cut, I may not be in a "behind the scenes" position, but I still think it goes all to the carrier (again noted by the eagerness of my AT&T rep to waive the upgrade fees).

My comment about not paying the fee at BBY was in regards to another member suggesting that Verizon and AT&T do not charge upgrade fee's at BBY. As I am no expert on what BBY charges, I went with the chance they were right.

As far as getting it not charged, my thought was more along the line of BBY gets X for the 1st line on a family plan and Y for each additional line. BBY could choose to work something with the carrier to get the fee waived, even if BBY took something like $5 per activation less in exchange for the fee being waived.

06MS6
10-02-2009, 10:57 PM
As far as getting it not charged, my thought was more along the line of BBY gets X for the 1st line on a family plan and Y for each additional line. BBY could choose to work something with the carrier to get the fee waived, even if BBY took something like $5 per activation less in exchange for the fee being waived.

Ah, now that could make sense. Unfortunately, Best Buy probably has "big corporate" thinking just like Sprint and would probably not sacrifice a few bucks with the thought that they would make more money dealing with the hassle than if they were to make things convenient for the customer. Oh well.

Dan
10-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Ah, now that could make sense. Unfortunately, Best Buy probably has "big corporate" thinking just like Sprint and would probably not sacrifice a few bucks with the thought that they would make more money dealing with the hassle than if they were to make things convenient for the customer. Oh well.

The only wait it benefits BBY is if they realize they can make up for it in volume. If you look at the "new customer" pricing and even the upgrade pricing at your store and compare it to Sprint, you will see they are giving up something to make people want to shop at BBY. I'd bet it costs them a few bucks per activation for doing the MIR instantly for that matter, but in sure increases sales!

Hired Gun
10-03-2009, 11:20 PM
The upgrade fee is tacked onto the next Sprint bill, it is not collected by Best Buy/Radio Shack.

I'm really not trying to argue, just doing my best to make the situation clear.

You misunderstood what I said. The $18 that you see on a Sprint bill when someone upgrades their phone at Best Buy is added to the bill by Best Buy. Sprint reflects it on the bill and it is paid directly to the sales channel (Best Buy) that added the charge to the account. I know this because the account displays the store id beside the charge on the account access log in the auto memos. Even if you don't do it yourself manually at Best Buy it is part of the agreement with your sales channel when you sell the phone. Sprint Corporate stores have the choice to add it or not. It is not a Sprint fee. This is why we refer inquireys to the activation charges back to the point of sale. Just like 9.99 third party charges. Sprint has nothing to do with them. We also have nothing to do with 411 charges or 911 taxes. Not every fee you see on a Sprint bill is Sprints doing.

Dan
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
You misunderstood what I said. The $18 that you see on a Sprint bill when someone upgrades their phone at Best Buy is added to the bill by Best Buy. Sprint reflects it on the bill and it is paid directly to the sales channel (Best Buy) that added the charge to the account. I know this because the account displays the store id beside the charge on the account access log in the auto memos. Even if you don't do it yourself manually at Best Buy it is part of the agreement with your sales channel when you sell the phone. Sprint Corporate stores have the choice to add it or not. It is not a Sprint fee. This is why we refer inquireys to the activation charges back to the point of sale. Just like 9.99 third party charges. Sprint has nothing to do with them. We also have nothing to do with 411 charges or 911 taxes. Not every fee you see on a Sprint bill is Sprints doing.

I seriously doubt the fee is paid to the seller. It is a Sprint created fee, not something the 3rd party sellers collect. If it was a 3rd party fee, why wouldn't they just collect it at point of sale? It was added a few years back as a way to maximize Sprints profits, and Sprint sets what fee is charged.

3rd party charges, Sprint obviously has a billing agreement with the 3rd party and collects a portion of the fee for providing the billing. The $9.99 texting service, Sprint probably gets 25 to 50% of the charges and remits the rest of the actual company providing the "content."

411, Sprint run service, Sprint controls the fee. Even if it is contracted out to someone else, Sprint has established a contract with them to provide 411 at a set fee.

911 Taxes / fee's are government mandated. Everything else is something Sprint chooses to charge, or agrees to provide billing for. Without Sprint profiting from those text services, they would not provide billing assistance.

Hired Gun
10-04-2009, 12:59 AM
I can't answer why the sellers don't collect it up front. I don't understand how the FCC can issue the short code licenses for the premium content providers to place their charges on your phone bill other than to know it is legal if authorised and every cell provider is plaged by the issue. If the cellular providers had anything at all to do with the fees or there were any sort of colusion then why wouldn't they be named as co-defendants in the class action suits against the premium content providers? http://www.mbclassaction.com/index.html That siut was victorious. Did you know the class actions suits against the cell providers was dismissed sumarily That one didn't even go to court.

I really don't know about the 411 fees other than they are automatic and if we credit them it is always ruled as invalid on our adjustment audits. We send inquirey back to the 411 provider to talk about that one.

Even the manager in the little sprint kiosk in our mall said she can choose to add the upgrade fee or waive it if she wants to. She waived the fees for me. I was never charged. I had Sprint long before I worked there.

Ensemble is the program we manage the accounts with and to access it you need a user id. Anyone that accesses an account for any reason leaves electronic records in the account that cannot be altered. When anyone looks, makes a change, adds a credit or charge, their id is recorded beside the transaction. When a sales person views the upgrade eligibilty in an account that store and user id is auto logged. I can easily see who was in the account, what screens they looked at and what changed they made at what time.

If this is a Sprint charge then why does the charge appear beside the store agents id in the middle of their tranaction? Sometimes they are added hours later but always by the point of sale. Why are agents now getting coached for invalid adjustment if we touch this fee? I'm guessing it's something to do with KMS "our knowledge base" telling us to inform the customer to return to the point of sale for this adjustment? I'm an old Nextel agent and a bit of a softie so I get coached about invalid adjustments once in awhile.

I usually base my advise on current KMS and Sprint.com information. I frequently get access to upper management news and training materials and if it's relevant, it can influence what I say.

YPG
10-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Sprint charges the activation fee.

The ability to check or uncheck the upgrade fee box may exist within Snap but the box has to be checked to be in compliance with audit standards. Unless there is a waived activation fee promotion running, which all eligibile transactions are recorded and reported to the Sprint account rep for that store. Then that Sprint rep applies for those waived fees through their channels.

If the fee is not marked, the Sprint rep can see it within Snap and will counsel the store and they will receive a chargeback.

Hired Gun
10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
YPG,
Your insight is what was missing here. Are you involved with a store?
Thanks

YPG
10-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Prior store manager at RS.

Even if the customer is the one who calls in and has it waived after the activation is complete, it would still be a paperwork mismatch within the first thirty days and could result in a chargeback.

If there are repeated instances of discrepancies due to waived or mismatched activation fees, the store/employees are counseled, offered additional training and can even be terminated for not following proper transaction procedures. That is why you can see the employee id next to the transaction.

We used to have a generic login for each store but there was no way to tell who exactly did the transaction wrong. When SNAP was introduced, each person was able to use a personal login.

BHare
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Just to clear up some stuff that I've learned throughout the years.

The activation fee is used by Sprint to pay third-party store's commission and misc expenses. It may be a function of third-party stores, that is, its documented with their id, but it only for referencing certain commission and payout. Third party stores do not manually add the fee themselves, it is automated by the system. There is no way to have the third party order system waive activation fees ways with a SOC or other method (Ignoring Corporate IDs a.k.a discounts).

If you do not want an activation fee with a third party company, then don't buy from them. Or, setup a way to get the fees credited back to you. I have had my indirect sales rep waive a few activation fees (By waive, I mean credit the amount back), it just takes time to actually have them acknowledge it's ok and they will do it. A third party store will have a tough time to go through a sale, have an activation fee, the customer think 'Oh I can get this waived' and then call to Sprint directly and be told to go back to the point of sale. All the third party can do is hope their rep will make a discretionary credit for them, which in most cases, highly unlikely (At least in my experience).

dbldwn02
10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I just upgraded my premier line through telesales and couldn't get the activation fee waived. I don't think it has anything to do with 3rd party stuff. They gave me some bull explanation about how it helps Sprint develop handsets and to make sure they have the latest and greatest technology. BULL! Everyone knows sprint is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to handsets. Only until now are they actually coming out with some decent handsets.

Dan
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I just upgraded my premier line through telesales and couldn't get the activation fee waived. I don't think it has anything to do with 3rd party stuff. They gave me some bull explanation about how it helps Sprint develop handsets and to make sure they have the latest and greatest technology. BULL! Everyone knows sprint is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to handsets. Only until now are they actually coming out with some decent handsets.

Were you unable to do the upgrade online? If you had some issue with doing it online, they will typically waive it. calling in / going to a store usually gets you hit with the fee.

What is the fee for? Honestly, it seems that Sprint is trying to encourage you to avoid humans and do it all on an automated system. It saves them hourly wages (computers are not paid by the hour) and makes you feel like their is extra value off of doing these things online. Its really not much different than the "web only" specials.

dbldwn02
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Were you unable to do the upgrade online? If you had some issue with doing it online, they will typically waive it. calling in / going to a store usually gets you hit with the fee.

What is the fee for? Honestly, it seems that Sprint is trying to encourage you to avoid humans and do it all on an automated system. It saves them hourly wages (computers are not paid by the hour) and makes you feel like their is extra value off of doing these things online. Its really not much different than the "web only" specials.
Nah, I ordered through retentions to get $100 off the price of the phone and retentions told me free activation but I see it showed up on my bill with no credit to offset it. When I wrote in about it they didn't see anything in the notes about free activation. So they wouldn't give it to me. No biggie. I don't feel like fighting over $18

Dan
10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Nah, I ordered through retentions to get $100 off the price of the phone and retentions told me free activation but I see it showed up on my bill with no credit to offset it. When I wrote in about it they didn't see anything in the notes about free activation. So they wouldn't give it to me. No biggie. I don't feel like fighting over $18

Retentions would have probably waived it if you called. It's amazing how some notes can be seen easily and others seem to play cat and mouse.

jcsprint2009
10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Danny, you sound like a shady Brooklyn dealer.

Mark_P
08-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Is this fee still $18? I thought it was always $36?

bruinhoo
08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Is this fee still $18? I thought it was always $36?
It still is $18 for upgrades, with new account/line activations at $36.

boomhower
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Mine was waived automatically, it was just taken off my bill.

rmship
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I had to make two contacts to get mines waived

everette25
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I got both waived when I got my Evo and new line activated ;)

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.