PDA

View Full Version : Private, Restricted, Caller ID Unavailable?

Wingmonk
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
What exactly is the difference between Private, Restricted, and Caller ID Unavailable?
My daughter is getting some weird sexual voice calls from a "Caller ID Unavailable" and I was wondering if any here would have any advice in viewing this type of number?
I called Sprint and was told all they could do was change the number.

That just seems sooo easy. There must be a better way. I figured while I was asking here may as well educate myself on Private, and Restricted calls too.

Thanks for any information.

thecheet
05-28-2009, 08:49 AM
There's nothing that Sprint can do. The person that is calling has their # to be set up as one of these. Kind of like you can have your caller id blocked for when you call other people.

bigchico68
05-28-2009, 08:56 AM
What exactly is the difference between Private, Restricted, and Caller ID Unavailable?
My daughter is getting some weird sexual voice calls from a "Caller ID Unavailable" and I was wondering if any here would have any advice in viewing this type of number?
I called Sprint and was told all they could do was change the number.

That just seems sooo easy. There must be a better way. I figured while I was asking here may as well educate myself on Private, and Restricted calls too.

Thanks for any information.

There unfortunately is no way of getting the number that is calling. Sprint definitely can't get it, maybe if you need to you could get the police involved and see what they can do. Otherwise I would just change the number.

strat
05-28-2009, 01:25 PM
There unfortunately is no way of getting the number that is calling. Sprint definitely can't get it, maybe if you need to you could get the police involved and see what they can do. Otherwise I would just change the number.

That may not be entirely correct. There are services to which you can forward your mobile that will present blocked numbers. Often times the signaling between switches actually transmits the number and just sets a flag not to disclose it to the called party.

bigchico68
05-28-2009, 03:56 PM
That may not be entirely correct. There are services to which you can forward your mobile that will present blocked numbers. Often times the signaling between switches actually transmits the number and just sets a flag not to disclose it to the called party.

The OP isn't trying to block his number from someone else. His daughter is getting perverted calls and it is restricted he wants to find out what the number is. So no Sprint can't help with that.

monkeyboy
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
If a true criminal complaint is filed, of course Sprint can and must help. Sprint totally has the ability to track down originating phone numbers, but won't do it just for CS-level inquiries... You'd probably have to start with a police report... followed by a court order...

strat
05-28-2009, 04:16 PM
The OP isn't trying to block his number from someone else. His daughter is getting perverted calls and it is restricted he wants to find out what the number is. So no Sprint can't help with that.

I understand that perfectly. I'm not suggesting that Sprint necessarily has to. The TrapCall service apparently isn't integrated with Sprint, though I don't know what they mean by that yet.

The fact is that one can forward a mobile phone to a toll-free number and usually see the caller's number plain as day, even if they "block" it from Caller ID. That's because the calling number delivery for toll-free service is necessary for billing, and isn't optional.

TrapCall took advantage of this by creating a service to which one sends their busy/no-answer calls, and which forwards them back while happily delivering the caller info to the mobile user. They say they aren't working for Sprint yet, but that might be because some features of their service aren't set up.

If the OP works in an office with a toll-free number, or even gets one temporarily from any of a number of Internet voice mail services and forwards the mobile, they have a very good chance of acquiring the number.

The practicality of that may depend on how frequent the calls are, but it definitely works.

Dan
05-28-2009, 05:12 PM
They aren't working with sprint yet as sprint charges 20 cents a minute for all call forwarding. Any "restricted" number call would be sent back to you, but every minute of the call would be billed out at that 20 cents a minute.

Plus, you still have caller ID spoofing services that will gain in popularity. The "best" way to trace a call is to trace it back on the networks it is transmitted across and finally to the originating network to identify its subscriber. Much like tracking back an email to its origin I would suspect.

Not to infer this of the OP specifically, but most times when a sexual call is placed, the person who is placing it has the number from an easy source. The daughter in this situation gives her cell number to her friend, and her friends brother gets the number and calls it with a blocked ID. Changing the number may work, or the "pervert" may just get the "new" number also.

Hans Gruber
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM
If unavailable every shows up on caller ID, the caller is using a calling card in all cases. Some stalkers do a double and triple bounce (up to 3 calling cards). I know this becuase and ex girlfriend has got my number 4x and I've changed my number 4x. Her record getting the new number was one week.

Thank you Sprint, for nothing...

Hell hath no fury for a woman scorn

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.