PDA

View Full Version : Sprint GSM world wide sim card

Tippey764
01-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Hello.
I was wondering if any of you guys know where to get a sprint sim card from that come in the Worldwide GSM phones. Along with this i know that the world wide phones have a CDMA and a GSM radio inside meaning there is a CDMA and GSM activated at the same time. So would it be possible to have them activate a sim card along with your main phone so you could have two working phones? The main reason im wondering is this is because im getting an iphone for free but dont want to switch to AT&T so this would be a cheap way for the iphone to be allowed to work as an ipod touch basically.

recithree
01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
it might get you past the insert sim prompt but thats probably it.if it did go farther then no phone calls could be made.the gsm portion of world phones will not work on u.s. carriers.even if sim is in another phone.

Tippey764
01-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Whats to keep the gsm portion from working in the US? It would just be roaming thinking it was out of the country it dosent know the diffrence. Also i dont have a world wide phone i have an A900 so im not sure if they would activate the sim card with me saying some stuff.

xchpstang
01-25-2009, 10:41 AM
If you put in a SIM card while here in the US the phone MAY show a signal but you won't be able to make calls as Sprint doesn't have a roaming agreement with AT&T or Tmobile. The SIM card would be useful if you are overseas and want unlimited data for $69.99 as, assuming this is an Iphone 3G, you would enjoy 3G data in many European and Asian countries since Sprint does have a UMTS/HSDPA roaming with a surprising amount of countries. The only countries that don't have UMTS data agreements are most countries where Sprint has a CDMA/EVDO data agreement i.e. Mexico, Canada, China.

monkeyboy
01-25-2009, 11:35 AM
you want a cheap way for your iphone to get a US SIM, then pick up a Tmobile prepaid SIM off ebay for less than $10 (used to be about $4)...

the Sprint SIM is useless for anything but maintaining your Sprint number overseas at very high rates...

Quill
01-25-2009, 11:53 AM
This essentially boils down to wanting to use an iPhone on Sprint. You can't. It won't work. There's no way around it. Sprint's international SIM cards are designed to work on the frequencies used on European GSM networks which are completely different than the ones used here.

If you want an iPhone you have to leave get at&t or T Mobile (with an unlocked device). Those are your options.

If you want GSM in the states you have to get at&t or T Mobile in some form.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.