PDA

View Full Version : Thank you BofA refund ... I got me an iPhone

Quill
02-27-2008, 10:30 PM
So, I went and got an iPhone finally, just couldn't resist anymore ... especially after that extra cash came in yesterday. :D

I'm digging the WiFi. I am digging how easy it was to sync my contacts with Outlook and put music on it. I've never been able to get a WM phone to sync with Outlook. So seemless. I have surfed SU using the WiFi and it's really nice. Now to mess with it some more. I think I'll leave my home phone line in it for now and mess around with other stuff later as far as trying to customize it a bit ... using the fabulous methods via the Internet.

Here's some pics as requested:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone001.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone002.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone003.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone004.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone005.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone006.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/iPhone007.jpg

NINO63004
02-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Very nice Quill. Are you going to jailbreak it or unlock it?

Nino

Quill
02-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I think I'll probably jailbreak it but I'll futz with that this weekend.

YPG
02-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Your other hand still needs a Centro. :)

NINO63004
02-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I think I'll probably jailbreak it but I'll futz with that this weekend.

Sounds good. There is so much stuff that you can add to it. I kinda want one now. As much as I hate reading about iPhone this and iPhone that on the tech sites I do read them and learn a lot about what you can put on it.

I need to get me a refund to buy a new phone.

Nino

josh33_unc
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Looks awesome, you deserve it

alaron
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Isn't it a beaut? Grats!

Quill
02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks, Josh, that means a lot.

Thank you alaron. I'm excited. :)

I dunno, Cat, the Centro pales in comparison now.

Studintx
02-27-2008, 11:50 PM
so you jumped on the iPhone Quill ! congratz, I decided i'm gonna wait for the 3G iPhone to come out.

Quill
02-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Knowing me, I'll probably get the 3G iPhone, too. I have a problem.

Striker911
02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
sorry but "BofA refund" can you explain?

viperboy
02-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Bank of America.

Congratulations, Quill. I wish I still had mine now. Right after I got rid of it, a bunch of cool stuff came out for it. If you need help with it, let me know. I fully jailbroke and unlocked it and pretty much did everything.

PrincessPixie
02-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Congrats Quill! I did have fun with the iPhone the few times I got to play with one.

kulnet
02-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Enjoy your new toy! :tu:

Jake
02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Congrats! :clap:

Dave B.
02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
It might not matter to ya, but if you wanna wait a week, next Thursday Apple's holding an even to discuss the release of the SDK and some other iPhone software plans. While I have a feeling the 'official' apps from Apple will be much nicer than the jailbroken apps, you're obviously still gonna have to pay for them. Thus, jailbreaking might be of better interest.

Just thought you might wanna hold off to jailbreak til next Thursday.

SUPER happy for ya that you got the iPhone. If you're nearly as excited as I was when I got mine, than I know youre loving it right now. I really think you'll like the phone. Everyone I know who has an iPhone told me the novelty of the phone will wear off, but it definitely hasnt yet!

Studogvetmed
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
*drool*

If only it weren't on AT&T...(no disrespect, just doesn't work well for me) But even then, I'd have to sneak it by my wife. That wouldn't happen to easy...

Enjoy it!

Jason Fate
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
i have a feeling the jailbreak community will find an app to backdoor access once the SDK is released. it may not be necessary to downgrade and jailbreak the phone. especially if hers has the 1.1.3 software...it could/most likely will render the phone dead.

Jason Fate
02-28-2008, 10:28 AM
quill gets the 2G iPhone, and engadget has a leak about the 3G version coming out around June

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/3g-iphone-rumored-to-be-infineon-powered-hitting-mid-year/

Quill
02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Heh, Jaceon, I kind of had a feeling that could happen. No worries. Jason gets his bonus in late May and we also get that government stimulus check around then. I can then just pass this one off to my sister in law who would love it.

I don't want to get into the B of A part too much, but, they are who we have our mortgage from and apparently they took too much of our money and out of the blue decided to give it back. :)

Bida, I'm in no hurry to jailbreak it, I think I want to play with a bit first. All I really want to do is get rid of this plain black background on the home screen and use my own ringers without having to pay Apple for them. :) So, yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on the SDK progress and town hall next week.

Jaceon, the firmware is 1.1.2, heh. It tried to update it, but the 1.1.4 just wouldn't take. *snaps fingers* Darn! Guess my iPhone had been sitting in the at&t corp store for a while waiting for me to rescue it. :p

Last night, I handed it off to my husband, who proceeded to play with it for 20 minutes. I almost thought he wasn't going to give it back. He's never played with any of my new phones for more than a couple minutes.

That tells me a lot about the device. I am enjoying it. Made a call on it this morning and found it to be a pleasant, easy experience. Dialing on the keypad is fine. Using the keyboard isn't a problem, Jason even said he had no trouble with it, and he's no tech geek. He even snapped a pic with the camera of our dog, Lucy, which is my current wallpaper. I've got both my BB and iPhone with me today since I activated the iPhone on my fourth line that I use as a home phone. :D

It just needs a case and a screen protector.

Oh, and this is super cool. I had a revelation this morning that I could probably plug it into my iPod connector cable attached to my Alpine head unit. I did and it is bad ass, as Josh would say. :p

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/1204222990.jpg

Dave B.
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Quill, you can already add ringtones to your iPhone without paying Apple. Simply take any song in iTunes, go to 'get info' and cut it down to around 15-30 seconds of whatever you want. Transfer the song over to your desktop, rename it to m4r instead of m4a (which is what it originally would be) and after you've renamed it just send it back over into iTunes. It will instantly recognize it as a ringtone. Plug your iPhone in, under the tabs click 'ringtones' and it should be there.

Just in case I missed something, you might wanna head to Howardforums and search 'ringtones' under Apple discussions. It's fairly simple.

As for the backgrounds, youre definitely gonna have to wait for the SDK. Even after that I dont know if it'll be possible. I really hope so though, thats one of the main reasons I've considered jailbreaking is cause I want a different background and to be able to change the icon looks.

One thing I've grown to love is the webclips. Basically just go to Google.com and... wait, you're on 1.1.2? Can't do it without 1.1.3 or above. Honestly, just look for software 1.1.3 and upload that. In order for the SDK you will need 1.1.4. Webclips are cool though, its basically an icon that goes on your homescreen of a website. (I'm sure you already know about all this, but just in case you don).

Also, here's some great sites for ANYTHING iPhone related you might need:
www.everythingicafe.com or www.everythingiphone.com
www.ilounge.com
and my favorite...
www.macrumors.com

Hope you enjoy, if ya need anything or have any questions (even though I'm sure you wont, youre one of the few people who know more about phones than me) just feel free to PM me!

profroopchan
02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Man, I hate whoever has those :) just kidding.. Thats sweet.

rennyn
02-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Yay Quill! I was excited when I got your text. I know you'll love it.

Try to upgrade to 1.1.3.

The new Ziphone jailbreak will not brick a phone either, at least there's been zero reported cases of it happening to people who follow the instructions. It has even unbricked some other phones. That is the only way currently to change the background :)

This theme doesn't have a background, but shows what you can do with it:
http://www.digitalsolecism.net/pics/iphonetheme.jpg

Quill
02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Quill, you can already add ringtones to your iPhone without paying Apple. Simply take any song in iTunes, go to 'get info' and cut it down to around 15-30 seconds of whatever you want. Transfer the song over to your desktop, rename it to m4r instead of m4a (which is what it originally would be) and after you've renamed it just send it back over into iTunes. It will instantly recognize it as a ringtone. Plug your iPhone in, under the tabs click 'ringtones' and it should be there.

Just in case I missed something, you might wanna head to Howardforums and search 'ringtones' under Apple discussions. It's fairly simple.

As for the backgrounds, youre definitely gonna have to wait for the SDK. Even after that I dont know if it'll be possible. I really hope so though, thats one of the main reasons I've considered jailbreaking is cause I want a different background and to be able to change the icon looks.

One thing I've grown to love is the webclips. Basically just go to Google.com and... wait, you're on 1.1.2? Can't do it without 1.1.3 or above. Honestly, just look for software 1.1.3 and upload that. In order for the SDK you will need 1.1.4. Webclips are cool though, its basically an icon that goes on your homescreen of a website. (I'm sure you already know about all this, but just in case you don).

Also, here's some great sites for ANYTHING iPhone related you might need:
www.everythingicafe.com or www.everythingiphone.com
www.ilounge.com
and my favorite...
www.macrumors.com

Hope you enjoy, if ya need anything or have any questions (even though I'm sure you wont, youre one of the few people who know more about phones than me) just feel free to PM me!

You are my new favorite person. Thanks for the links! I will check those out for sure.

I haven't gotten to a point where I started digging around so I appreciate the starting point.

I think I will try and apply the software update so it has the latest firmware. Last night I was more concerned with syncing my iTunes library on my laptop to the thing.

Quill
02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Yay Quill! I was excited when I got your text. I know you'll love it.

Try to upgrade to 1.1.3.

The new Ziphone jailbreak will not brick a phone either, at least there's been zero reported cases of it happening to people who follow the instructions. It has even unbricked some other phones. That is the only way currently to change the background :)

This theme doesn't have a background, but shows what you can do with it:
http://www.digitalsolecism.net/pics/iphonetheme.jpg

Oooh. Themes. I like themes. I need a Mustang theme. :D

TweetyBear
02-28-2008, 03:39 PM
i want an iphone now :-(

orangesuburban
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
how old is your alpine HU? i have a pioneer avicD3 in my car and the new ipod classics and the iphone connect but they wont charge or play on my HU. this is the only thing holding me back from a 160gb iPod. my ex has an iphone and i dont like it though it is an amazing device. congrats! (i like my BB better then it and the plan is cheaper :p )

Jake
02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
You're in the dog house, Quill. You're making me want a new phone. Again.

I have the VX8700, Voyager, Chocolate 2, Pearl 2, and the red 8830 all sitting on the table and I want more more more! :irked:

Quill
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
how old is your alpine HU? i have a pioneer avicD3 in my car and the new ipod classics and the iphone connect but they wont charge or play on my HU. this is the only thing holding me back from a 160gb iPod. my ex has an iphone and i dont like it though it is an amazing device. congrats! (i like my BB better then it and the plan is cheaper :p )

Had the head unit installed in late December. :) Don't ask me what the model number is, I don't remember. LOL.

Thanks. I like my BB, too, and having the iPhone isn't costing me any extra. ;)

Can't fault ya for choosing BB over iPhone. I was doing that for a long while but this extra cash came my way and I couldn't resist. :)

Awww, Jake, I know the feeling. I've had a silver Curve, a red Curve, a BJ II, a Pantech Duo, and an LG Shine all in the past few months. I think this is the sixth phone I've purchased since Thanksgiving. I am bad.

No, we're both content now ... yup. :hug:

Jake
02-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Awww, Jake, I know the feeling. I've had a silver Curve, a red Curve, a BJ II, a Pantech Duo, and an LG Shine all in the past few months. I think this is the sixth phone I've purchased since Thanksgiving. I am bad.

No, we're both content now ... yup. :hug:

When you say it aloud, why does that sound so funny? "I had a BJ too!" :lmao:

Damn those pain killers and apple cider! :hee:

On a serious note, I'm kind of wanting to try the RAZR2 again. Verizon's wasn't buggy like Sprint's but the interface isn't the cool flash interface used in Verizon LG's and Samsung's. I hate having two lines, but I'm considering it. My 8830 is amazing and I love it and there's no way I can be without a BlackBerry, but I do want to try some new phones so another line seems like the best solution.

P11guy
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
i've always wondered where does your "sims" is thats how it pronounced? Well yeah where does that go?

josh33_unc
02-28-2008, 07:20 PM
*face palm*

Usually under the battery

Sim card

A Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) is part of a removable smart card ICC (Integrated Circuit Card), also known as SIM Cards, for mobile cellular telephony devices such as mobile computers and mobile phones. SIM cards securely store the service-subscriber key (IMSI) used to identify a subscriber. The SIM card allows users to change phones by simply removing the SIM card from one mobile phone and inserting it into another mobile phone or broadband telephony device.

Jake
02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
i've always wondered where does your "sims" is thats how it pronounced? Well yeah where does that go?

As Josh said, it's a Sim card. No "s" on the end. :p It's basically what puts the network in the phone.

YPG
02-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Well I think you should have both Quill. One for each hand. :)

Quill
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
SG, I have three phones already! LOL. Curve, Shine and iPhone. I'd need more hands. :D

NINO63004
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
SG, I have three phones already! LOL. Curve, Shine and iPhone. I'd need more hands. :D

you need to train your feet to use phones now lol.

Nino

Dave B.
02-28-2008, 08:36 PM
As for the question about the sim card (and Quill, in case you dont know it)...
It actually goes in on the TOP of the iPhone
*...looks for a pic online...*
http://www.guileite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone-sim-card-1.png
That is the Sim Tray. You see the hole on the left? (Not the bigger one, thats for the headphones). Well if you push a paper clip (or something the like) into it, a little tray will pop out.
Like so:
http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/iphone_sim1.jpg

So Quill, you figure out how to get the ringtones set up?
As I re-read my post I realized I didnt give the clearest directions since I was running late for work. Again, if you need help feel free to PM me. Honestly Im on the computer about 3-4 hours a day. About 10-15 minutes of that goes into reading/posting on Sprintusers and Heliocity. The rest of the time is either dealing with the Red Wings or the iPhone. So I can probably help ya out the best of anyone. Do I sound like a loser? lol... cause Im truely not.
(Runs to the fridge, grabs a beer and puts a basketball game on.. wait, I hate basketball)

Quill
02-28-2008, 08:54 PM
I haven't messed with ringers yet ... my thing now is debating about using the iPhone on my primarily line -- I activated it on a sub account.

When I swapped the SIM, it sent me to iTunes, which wanted to start the activation process. Sigh. I'm not entirely sure I can put my BB plan back on if I call in after activating the iPhone on my primarily line. Hmm. I want to switch back and forth. I know I've read about others doing it ... just not sure if I want to mess with it.

Back to ringers for a minute, I saw a link for an iPhone ringtone making program on Ziphone.org ...

josh33_unc
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
buggy but worth a shot - http://code.google.com/p/iphone-haptics/
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Haptic-keyboard-for-iPhone-developed-article-a_2508.html

josh33_unc
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
iPhone software development to be locked down by Apple?

According to iLounge, Apple will be severely restricting access on software for the iPhone and iPod touch, only allowing apps to be downloaded through iTunes, hand-picking which applications will make it to the store, and cutting off developer's access to accessories which interface with the dock connector.

more at link

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/29/iphone-software-development-to-be-locked-down-by-apple/

rennyn
02-29-2008, 11:45 AM
And that's why the jailbreaks will never go away. Screw Apple :D

Quill
02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I downloaded ZiPhone last night and when I went to extract it gave some .NET error about not having something installed. Booo!

Do I need to unlock it to put my SIM with BB plan on it or just jailbreak it? I want themes, too!

I need more time to play with it and do some looking around on the interwebs. Been busy.

rennyn
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah to use your BB SIM you need to unlock it.

For the .NET error, you can download it here if you don't have it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Upgrade to 1.1.3, but not 1.1.4.

Run Ziphone and jailbreak/unlock it following the instructions. Lovely little phone.

Although I must sya.. I'm really impressed with the slickness of the Touch :) Its a hot phone.

Quill
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Sweeeeeet! OK, that makes me feel better, renny. So, how do I upgrade to 1.1.3 and not 1.1.4?

I'll have to do this at home using my laptop ... so no rush to answer now. :D

Quill
02-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah to use your BB SIM you need to unlock it.

For the .NET error, you can download it here if you don't have it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Upgrade to 1.1.3, but not 1.1.4.

Run Ziphone and jailbreak/unlock it following the instructions. Lovely little phone.

Although I must sya.. I'm really impressed with the slickness of the Touch :) Its a hot phone.

Wahooooo! I just did it! Yay! It works. OK. I am keeping this forever and ever. Now I really get to put it through its paces. :D

Thanks for the help, renny, it was super quick and easy.

Jake
03-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Wahooooo! I just did it! Yay! It works. OK. I am keeping this forever and ever. Now I really get to put it through its paces. :D

Thanks for the help, renny, it was super quick and easy.

You seem to like the iPhone far more than when you first played with it. I think it has that effect on people. ;)

josh33_unc
03-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Its got a BB effect

Quill
03-01-2008, 03:16 PM
You seem to like the iPhone far more than when you first played with it. I think it has that effect on people. ;)

No, I've always liked it, I just didn't like its price tag. I avoided playing with it because I knew I would end up really wanting it ... besides, not much you can do when it's in a claw of death, or it's someone else's phone.

It definitely reminds me of how I felt when I first got a BB, Josh.

Got my Jawbone paired up with it last night and used it a couple times today. :)

Happy, happy. I posted a MySpace blog about it today as well.

josh33_unc
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah I saw the email alert about the blog post but haven't read it yet

P11guy
03-01-2008, 04:32 PM

THIS IS SARCASM, I sell sprint and nextel, I know how this works.

*face palm*

Usually under the battery

Sim card

The iphone doesnt have a removable battery that is why i asked.

As Josh said, it's a Sim card. No "s" on the end. :p It's basically what puts the network in the phone.
sarcasms with a "S" on the end.

As for the question about the sim card (and Quill, in case you dont know it)...
It actually goes in on the TOP of the iPhone
*...looks for a pic online...*
http://www.guileite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone-sim-card-1.png
That is the Sim Tray. You see the hole on the left? (Not the bigger one, thats for the headphones). Well if you push a paper clip (or something the like) into it, a little tray will pop out.
Like so:
http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/iphone_sim1.jpg

Thank you for that info. I've always wonder NOW I know.
And Knowing is half the battle.

Quill
03-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, the whole SIM card tray is not immediately obvious upon looking at the iPhone, they kind of tuck it away and make the SIM card hard to remove. Not impossible but hard.

Kind of makes me want to kick Steve Jobs in the balls. :p :lol:

Still, once you get past all the efforts to lock it down, it's pretty cool. :)

Jake
03-01-2008, 06:19 PM
THIS IS SARCASM, I sell sprint and nextel, I know how this works.

The iphone doesnt have a removable battery that is why i asked.

sarcasms with a "S" on the end.

You have to remember, we can only read your words, we can't hear you speak them. So, when you give absolutely no implication of sarcasm, how are we supposed to know?

P11guy
03-01-2008, 06:52 PM
sorry guys, from now on I will make a note of marking my sarcasm.

P11guy
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
BTW the simcard tray idea looks neat. but they should have done this like the touch where the back pops off and you can change the battery. I thought that was the main idea on cell phones.

Quill
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
BTW the simcard tray idea looks neat. but they should have done this like the touch where the back pops off and you can change the battery. I thought that was the main idea on cell phones.

That's just not Apple's M.O. with portable devices. Not to excuse this decision but it's what the company does with all of its mobile devices. Personally it hasn't been an issue with my iPods so I'm not too worried about it with my iPhone. My best friend is using my old fourth gen iPod that I got for Christmas three years ago and he says it has better battery life than his cell phone. :p

Don't think I've ever had a cell phone battery last that long.

But, yeah, that's Apple for ya. *shrug*

Dave B.
03-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Wow... Again, now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, if you're not (doubt it) than ignore this next statement. If you ARE being sarcastic, then sorry I tried to help you out. For all I know you're a complete idiot. How in gods name am I supposed to know that?
Again, maybe some italics or just a simple "(/sarcasm)" will prevent people from trying to help you out when they think you might not be too bright about cell phones!

Back on topic:
So Quill, couldnt hold out for the SDK, huh?
Now that there's rumors stirring up about the actual apps not coming until JUNE I'm growing more and more tempted to jailbreak my iPhone. There's even rumors of Apple not only announcing the apps around June, but also only making them available for the iPhone v.2. While I have a real hard time believing this, if they SDK doesnt come til June, I'm unlocking ASAP.
The only reason I haven't jailbroke my phone yet is cause I have hoping that the SDK will bring not only offical, but nicer and better apps for the phone.
Sure I'll have to pay for them as opposed to them being free via jailbreak, but if I gotta fork over a couple bucks for something like iChat, I'm in!

Besides, everyones (atleast on the iPhone forums) are freaking out, complaining that Apples gonna charge for these apps/games and that you have to download thru iTunes. I've come from a Sidekick where apps/games are created by people in their spare time and you have to pay for them. So for me, I kinda saw this coming all along.

Quill
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Yeah, I'm not really that concerned about the SDK one way or the other ... I just did the whole unlocking/jailbreaking because I wanted to unlock and the only way to do it was to do the all-in-one option. There was no 'unlock only' option on ziphone. No worries. I haven't really messed with much because most of the apps don't work on 1.1.4.

Unlocking it allows me to go back and forth between the Curve and the iPhone without having to make any changes to my plan. That's all I really wanted to do. :)

P11guy
03-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow... Again, now I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, if you're not (doubt it) than ignore this next statement. If you ARE being sarcastic, then sorry I tried to help you out. For all I know you're a complete idiot. How in gods name am I supposed to know that?
Again, maybe some italics or just a simple "(/sarcasm)" will prevent people from trying to help you out when they think you might not be too bright about cell phones!

No i honestly would like to thank you for your op showing the sim tray.
as for where this phone doesnt have the removable back or anything of that nature i was like, where does the sim card even go?
as for "knowing is half the battle":laughing: that was suppost to be a joke

i guess it wasnt funny tho.

Quill
03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
In the SIM tray at the top of the phone. It's an interesting and clever placement. Scroll back up and look at the pics in the post you quoted. :)

Jake
03-02-2008, 01:01 PM
In the SIM tray at the top of the phone. It's an interesting and clever placement. Scroll back up and look at the pics in the post you quoted. :)

I think he was saying that he was asking himself that question and it was answered by Bida's pictures.

Lots of miscommunication going on here! :lol:

New91
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm not really that concerned about the SDK one way or the other ... I just did the whole unlocking/jailbreaking because I wanted to unlock and the only way to do it was to do the all-in-one option. There was no 'unlock only' option on ziphone. No worries. I haven't really messed with much because most of the apps don't work on 1.1.4.

Unlocking it allows me to go back and forth between the Curve and the iPhone without having to make any changes to my plan. That's all I really wanted to do. :)

So you can use Safari with the blackberry data plan?

Quill
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Yep, I sure can use Safari with the BB data plan, New91. :) Yay!

New91
03-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Awesome! Thats what was holding me back because I didnt want to change my plan either.

Quill
03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
*nods* Just have to unlock it with ziphone. :)

johnny hotsauce
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I am digging how easy it was to sync my contacts with Outlook and put music on it. I've never been able to get a WM phone to sync with Outlook. So seemless.

Congrats on your new toy Quill! Very very nice!

Are you able to sync you calendar on the iPhone with outlook as well? I didn't even know we were able to sync contacts from Outlook, then again I didn't read that far into the iPhones since I didn't have any immeadiate plans on switching to AT&T...LOL

Quill
03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Congrats on your new toy Quill! Very very nice!

Are you able to sync you calendar on the iPhone with outlook as well? I didn't even know we were able to sync contacts from Outlook, then again I didn't read that far into the iPhones since I didn't have any immeadiate plans on switching to AT&T...LOL

I don't have any items in my Outlook calendar but I'll put some in it later and test it out and let you know. It says it can sync the calendar items so I guess we'll have to put it to the test. Will let you know. :)

johnny hotsauce
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't have any items in my Outlook calendar but I'll put some in it later and test it out and let you know. It says it can sync the calendar items so I guess we'll have to put it to the test. Will let you know. :)

Hmmmm..... That might renew my interest in one of these things if you can sync calendars as well. The main reason I use a WM device is for features like the calendar for business. I hate carrying a day planner and I use a PDA phone to eliminate that. I also really like to surf the web and the safari browser on the iPhone is hands down the best mobile browser IMO and I wish I had something close to that on my new Touch.

So far I'm pretty happy with my Touch but the iPhone could be a good option for me down the road :)

Quill
03-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Considering how painless it was syncing my contacts with my Outlook on my home computer I can only imagine how easy it is sync calendar entries, as well, so I'll give it a try and report back.

Dave B.
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
oh yea, another cool thing to check out Quill...
if you put alot of your bookmarks on your homepage, only SOME websites have the "webclips" (the little picture, go to google.com and add the bookmark to your homepage, you'll see what I mean)

well if you come to like this feature like i do... check out this webpage

http://webclip.us/

lets you assign little pictures or "webclips" to any website you want

Quill
03-05-2008, 07:23 PM
So, what I really need to mess around with some time is making some ringers. I was able to find some in the correct format but I really need all of the ringers I like in iTunes. I could probably copy the ones I have on my microSD card in my Curve into iTunes.

But, what I wanted to say is that yes, johnny_hotsauce the Outlook calendar appointments do sync with the iPhone through iTunes. That's super cool. It amuses greatly that my iPhone has zero issues talking to Outlook on my laptop while not a single WM phone I've owned could do so. :D

I got my Seidio slim rubberized case today for the iPhone. It's slick. Slim. Hot. I'm happy I bought it because I didn't find anything else I liked nearly as much. It adds virtually no bulk to the device. That is impressive.

I'll post pics a little later.

Ced91071
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
congrats on your IPhone..............
I can remember the exact day I got mine.

P11guy
03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I think he was saying that he was asking himself that question and it was answered by Bida's pictures.

Lots of miscommunication going on here! :lol:

yeah im just gonna shut up now before i confuse anyone else.

Dave B.
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
So, what I really need to mess around with some time is making some ringers. I was able to find some in the correct format but I really need all of the ringers I like in iTunes. I could probably copy the ones I have on my microSD card in my Curve into iTunes.

But, what I wanted to say is that yes, johnny_hotsauce the Outlook calendar appointments do sync with the iPhone through iTunes. That's super cool. It amuses greatly that my iPhone has zero issues talking to Outlook on my laptop while not a single WM phone I've owned could do so. :D

I got my Seidio slim rubberized case today for the iPhone. It's slick. Slim. Hot. I'm happy I bought it because I didn't find anything else I liked nearly as much. It adds virtually no bulk to the device. That is impressive.

I'll post pics a little later.

Please do! After going thru 3 different holsters and 2 different cases I'm STILL in search for that perfect protection for my iPhone!
Looking forward to the pics...

johnny hotsauce
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info Quill! I might just have to take a second look at the iPhone when the 3G version comes out and also depending on what AT&T's plans look like at that point (SERO has me spoiled). I really like the iPhone and I think the UI is phenominal and that it's an overall great device but AT&T just isn't my cup of tea for the time being.

My main need for a device besides being able to talk on it is to be able to sync with Outlook, other than that I mainly surf the web or play with my phone so I think a device like the iPhone would suit me pretty well since it can handle my business needs and let me have fun with it at the same time. I just can't afford to spend $30 or $50/mo more on my wireless bill, being a grown up gets expensive when you have a mortgage and everything else...LOL

I think for the time being the HTC Touch is holding off my temptation to go to the darkside of AT&T for the iPhone but knowing me that can change tomorrow and I'll end up giving in to the evil..LOL

Please keep posting juicy info on your new toy, I really like reading and seeing first hand experiences with this device.

Quill
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Bida, I will snap some photos with my digi cam tonight .... but here's a cam phone pic to whet your appetite:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/Windows-1252BSU1HMDA0MDEuanBn.jpg

johnny_hotsauce, I've heard everything from a June launch of the 3G iPhone to as late as the end of this year, so you've got at least three months to resist the evil. :p

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the organizational features on the iPhone, just the fact that it painlessly syncs with Outlook (the way WM should) is enough to make me think I may not ever consider buying a WM phone again.

I tell you what, if I ever leave my current profession, I could give up the BB completely for the iPhone. Or if I could figure out how to get it to pull my work e-mail (which it could do in theory with its Other Mail configurator) I could see going back and forth between the two devices.

It's really much more capable than I thought it would be or that anyone with a "real" smartphone might have you believe.

johnny hotsauce
03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
johnny_hotsauce, I've heard everything from a June launch of the 3G iPhone to as late as the end of this year, so you've got at least three months to resist the evil. :p

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the organizational features on the iPhone, just the fact that it painlessly syncs with Outlook (the way WM should) is enough to make me think I may not ever consider buying a WM phone again.

I tell you what, if I ever leave my current profession, I could give up the BB completely for the iPhone. Or if I could figure out how to get it to pull my work e-mail (which it could do in theory with its Other Mail configurator) I could see going back and forth between the two devices.

It's really much more capable than I thought it would be or that anyone with a "real" smartphone might have you believe.

Wow, I really dig that case! It doesn't look like it adds much bulk at all and it has a nice clean look and really enhances the style of the phone.

I have to agree that the iPhone is a better "business" device than most people give it credit for. There are too many WM fanboys and the same amount of Apple fanboys out there and it's hard to really get an unbiased opinion or review of the device due to that.

I have no loyalty to either and I just prefer a good device that gives me the options that I personally look for and not what people suggest that I should have and that's why I like the iPhone. I normally try not to look at the brand name on something and look more at what it has, what it does and will it be reliable, I guess the brand has something to do with reliabitly but I just try to step away from hype and look at reality if that makes any sense.

Dave B.
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Quill, great news!
In case you havent heard there's an Apple event going on right now.
Just 15 minutes into the event this was already announced for the iPhone:
(coming from Engadgets live update)

10:05AM - They want push email, push contacts, global address list, Cisco IPsec VPN, they want authentication and certs, enterprise class WiFi (WPA2 / 802.1x), security policies, enterprise configuration tools, and they want remote wipe. (Shows pic of iPhones mail app now having a Microsoft Exchange button)

10:06AM - "That's a long list of important features enterprise customers want. Well, I'm excited to be the one to tell you today, we're doing ALL these things in the next release of the iPhone software." Big applause, couple of cheers.

The iPhone should now be considered a TRUE smartphone!

If you want any other info, here's the link to Engadgets Live Update page:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/live-from-apples-iphone-press-conference/

They just now started talking about the SDK! I'm excited!

Quill
03-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Sweet, Bida, I will scope that out now. :D

Wow. This is pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop from here. :)

johnny hotsauce
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Quill, great news!
In case you havent heard there's an Apple event going on right now.
Just 15 minutes into the event this was already announced for the iPhone:
(coming from Engadgets live update)

10:05AM - They want push email, push contacts, global address list, Cisco IPsec VPN, they want authentication and certs, enterprise class WiFi (WPA2 / 802.1x), security policies, enterprise configuration tools, and they want remote wipe. (Shows pic of iPhones mail app now having a Microsoft Exchange button)

10:06AM - "That's a long list of important features enterprise customers want. Well, I'm excited to be the one to tell you today, we're doing ALL these things in the next release of the iPhone software." Big applause, couple of cheers.

The iPhone should now be considered a TRUE smartphone!

If you want any other info, here's the link to Engadgets Live Update page:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/live-from-apples-iphone-press-conference/

They just now started talking about the SDK! I'm excited!

Great info Bida :tu:

Quill
03-06-2008, 11:33 PM
OK, Bida, I think I've overdone it here but digi cam pics of the Seidio slim rubberized case. So secksay!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase001.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase002.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase003.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase004.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase005.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase006.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase007.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase008.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase009.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase010.jpg

Quill
03-06-2008, 11:34 PM
And just a couple more ... always forget about the 10 images per post rule. :p

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase011.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/seidioslimiPhonecase012.jpg

Dave B.
03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I really like that case Quill (also, I swear everyone who has the Curve that I know, has that rubber skin). Ever since I got the iPhone I've wanted to stay away from cases and any kind of rubber skin/silicone jacket. I think the iPhone is the sexiest phone I've ever had and I dont wanna hide its looks. Unforunately though, a while back I was driving to the bar and had my phone sitting on my lap, got out and... well... the rest, as they say, was history.
It was horrible, just some small scratches on the chrome ring and on the back, but horrible none the less. Thankfully though my phone was having some problems with echo-ing during phone calls so Apple replaced it with a new iPhone. So its been some time, there's a tiny tiny scratch on the back and as you'll come to find out, NOTHING can stop that chrome ring from getting little teeny scratches all over it.

Anyways, point of my post is...
I've read many many reviews of those types of cases getting dirt and particles in them and scratching the chrome ring up horribly. I've seen some pictures and its really really bad! Mind taking your phone out and see if you notice anything?

My first holster was this (DLO HipCase):
http://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2776/large/1.jpg

And while I still have that holster I've switched to this one (Griffin Elan Snap-In):
http://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2574/large/1.jpghttp://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2574/large/2.jpg

While I love both of them, I got tired of my first one and my current one just scared me since the iPhone isnt held in very tight and I'm afraid it will slip out. So my choices for my next case which Im gonna get Sunday probably is either between...

a silicone case/jacket like this
Marware SportGrip:
http://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2535/large/2.jpg
or
a hard case like this
Griffin iClear
http://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2606/large/1.jpghttp://store.everythingicafe.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/2606/large/2.jpg

How you liking your so far Quill?
I really really like the looks of it, just wish it had some kind of clip with it like the Griffin one I just posted. Let me know, thanks for the info!

Quill
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I like it so far but I'll be able to tell you more after the weekend is over.

I think Seidio has an option where you can buy a holster that the iPhone fits in with the slim case on it ... I'll have to look later.

NINO63004
03-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Quill that case looks very nice. I want an iPhone now. It is very sexy and just so sleek. I do love that curve to. Damn my phone wanting and you for getting sweet phones and posting them lol.

Nino

Dave B.
03-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Quill that case looks very nice. I want an iPhone now. It is very sexy and just so sleek. I do love that curve too. Damn my phone wanting and you for getting sweet phones and posting them lol.

Nino

You're telling me man! There's not a single phone I think looks good or even tempts me to drop the iPhone. The only one that comes close is the Curve, but I couldnt see myself dropping my iPhone for the Curve. So I think I'm gonna do what Quill did and use both. Soon as I get my tax return money, that Curve is mine! Now I just need to decide on the silver or red (leaning towards the silver) :D

NINO63004
03-08-2008, 08:09 AM
You're telling me man! There's not a single phone I think looks good or even tempts me to drop the iPhone. The only one that comes close is the Curve, but I couldnt see myself dropping my iPhone for the Curve. So I think I'm gonna do what Quill did and use both. Soon as I get my tax return money, that Curve is mine! Now I just need to decide on the silver or red (leaning towards the silver) :D

Well Sprint is suppose to realease the curve so I'll end up getting what ever color it is if I like the feel of it. If I had At&t I would probably have already bought the iPhone. I like the phone but a Blackberry would fit my needs better at the moment. My Aunt has the iPhone and is running the second oldest firmware. I get sad when I see she has it. She doesn't use it like a person should.

I think the red curve is nicer than silver. I only say that b/c I have always had black and silver phones with the exceptiong of the fusic and sanyo 4500. though the iPhone is silver and a silver curve would compliment it well.

If and when I get a curve or any other BB model I am definitely getting a seidio case.

Nino

jivey
03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I love my Agent18 clear case!!!

Bida how does that webclip site work?

NINO63004
03-08-2008, 02:41 PM

I have an agent 18 case for my zune 80 and love it.

Nino

Quill
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
I haven't tried Agent18 products yet but have heard good things about them. I love buying cases. LOL. Maybe I'll see if there's an agent18 case for the Shine. :p

The Curve battery is almost dead so I'll be switching over to the iPhone soon ... at least before we leave for the matchbox twenty concert. And we'll listen to their music on the iPhone when it's plugged into my car stereo. I love that. :D

NINO63004
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
http://agent18.com/

they don't really have a lot of cases. Nothing like seidio does. though if you want another case for you iPhone the do have that.

Nino

NINO63004
03-08-2008, 03:29 PM
thought I would find some pictures of the actual case on the iPhone b/c the pictures they have on the site dont do to much.

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_agent18/ecoshieldiphone/1.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_agent18/ecoshieldiphone/2.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_agent18/ecoshieldiphone/3.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_agent18/ecoshieldiphone/4.jpg

http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/reviews_agent18/ecoshieldiphone/5.jpg

all pictures courtesy of iLounge (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/agent-18-ecoshield-for-iphone/)

Nino

jivey
03-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Great idea Nino. The pics on their site kinda suck, I bought the clear one at an Apple Store and like it much more than I did my last case.

rennyn
03-08-2008, 05:20 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the Agent18 case was that it gets scratched up fairly easy, otherwise it is good.

jivey
03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmm mine doesn't seem to be scratched up, maybe its the black ones that show scratches.

Dave B.
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Basically, you can go to any of the iPhone websites:

www.everythingiphone.com (http://www.everythingiphone.com)
www.macrumors.com (http://www.macrumors.com)
www.ilounge.com (http://www.ilounge.com)
etc.

And search their forums for "webclips" or "web icons".
There's a lot of webclips that people have made for certain sites.
If a website you wanna add doesnt have a webclip or you can't find one anywhere, you can simply take a small picture of whatever you want for your 'webclip' and save it to your computer.
For instance...
This is my second screen to my iPhone:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2320495122_58e24d4f33.jpg

Now obviously RedWings.com, SprintUsers.com, and NHL.com do not have webclips, so I just searched Google Images for a small picture, saved it to my computer and than uploaded it at webclip.us

So...
Go to webclip.us
Paste in the URL of the site you want on your homescreen
Upload the picture you want that will take you to that site
Label the icon
Type in the security code

The next page will tell you to go to Safari and type in a certain URL
Type the URL in Safari, once it loads, press the plus sign at the bottom
Tap the "Add to Home Screen"
Tap "Add" in the upper right and boom! done!
(sorry i'm horrible at typing out directions, i try to get to into and make it more complicated than it should be)

Quill
03-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Bida, that looks cool, I think I need to mess around with that ... I kind of wish I hadn't upgraded to 1.1.4 firmware because I can't seem to get themes or do much else that I want to do. I should spend a little more time reading around on the forums.

Still need to get to making ringers. I've been a little busy.

I am really digging the Seidio case. Plus my screen protector came in finally so I feel like the iPhone is fully protected. :D

NINO63004
03-09-2008, 03:09 PM
The only thing I didn't like about the Agent18 case was that it gets scratched up fairly easy, otherwise it is good.

My screen that covers my screen on my zune 80 case got light scratches on it really easily. I was using a microfiber cloth that I use on glass like my zune 80 screen itself. The screen has light scratches on it but that doesn't really bother me since those are scratches that are not on my Zune 80 screen.

Nino

Dave B.
03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
My screen that covers my screen on my zune 80 case got light scratches on it really easily. I was using a microfiber cloth that I use on glass like my zune 80 screen itself. The screen has light scratches on it but that doesn't really bother me since those are scratches that are not on my Zune 80 screen.

Nino
You're not talking about the actual screen itself getting scratches, right? You're talking about, like, a screen protector right?
Cause its REALLY hard to scratch the iPhones glass screen. Granted, I have a Shieldzone on the screen, I didnt have anything on it for a long time and there's not even those little tiny scratches that all cell phone screens get!

Quill
03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I am slowly getting the iPhone the way I wants it. Got SummerBoard up and running so I've downloaded some themes. Woot. Also found a solitaire game that looks gorgeous on the iPhone screen.

Next up will be my research into making ring tones. Once I have all the ringers I want, I think the iPhone will be set up just so, plus I have moved some photos over into my phone off the laptop.

I'm enjoying customizing this phone far more than any WM phone I've ever had. It takes a bit more work than a BB but the dev community for the iPhone makes customizing the iPhone so simple. :)

NINO63004
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
You're not talking about the actual screen itself getting scratches, right? You're talking about, like, a screen protector right?
Cause its REALLY hard to scratch the iPhones glass screen. Granted, I have a Shieldzone on the screen, I didnt have anything on it for a long time and there's not even those little tiny scratches that all cell phone screens get!

I'm talking about the plastic part of the case that is scratching. Not the actually glass.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2006/2185626339_f71e08d705.jpg?v=0

You can see the plastic film on the case. That was covering the thin plastic that covers my glass zune screen. I hope that makes sense now.

Nino

jivey
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks Bida! I was confused when I went to webclips.us from my iPhone. I was thinking, "where in the hell am I suppose to get this mysterious code from?" LOL I got some cool web clips set up. I do like your SU one though, where did you find it?

Quill, what do you think of the iPhone keyboard?

FloorMatt
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
*trashes the iPhone party* It sucks!

But yeah, anyways! Those who know me, know I'm playing around. iPhone has high points, but is by no means perfect (no phone SHALL EVER BE!); which is why I hope the 2nd Gen iPhone answers various issues before I give it two thumbs up. :)

So, enjoy it QH! (while it still lasts, with you) :p

P.S. While I was able to get the hang of typing when I tried one, it still has some quirks about it that need adjusting.

johnny hotsauce
03-09-2008, 11:08 PM
P.S. While I was able to get the hang of typing when I tried one, it still has some quirks about it that need adjusting.

I was playing around with my cousin's iPhone earlier tonight and I was a little dissapointed in the keyboard. For some reason I had this notion that the keyboard on the iPhone blew away the keyboard options for the Touch and it actually didn't IMO.. I was making more typo's than I do with my SPB Full Screen KB and it just didn't feel as accurate.

Edge was also a big noticable difference in web browsing compared to EVDO, granted the HTML browser blew away Opera Mobile 9.5 and NetFront 3.5 but it just seemed like it took forever to load up pages including some WAP pages that I purposely went to.

I do have to admit that the "pinching" effect is pretty cool and I did like how smooth the OS just flowed in general, when they make the gen 2 version of this thing and when it has 3g I might have to check it out again. I am impressed with Apple's first try but it just isn't enough yet for me to defect and fortunately my Touch is doing a pretty decent job of keeping me happy at the moment. It's cool to try out other things just to see what the options are like.

But I look at it this way, if Apple can do this good of a job on their first attempt than I can't way to see what the future holds :tu:

Quill
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
*points at FM* Who invited Buzz Killington to the party?

jivey, I thought the on screen keyboard was going to be a pain, but it's not bad. I'm getting faster with it.

I really like the phone overall. As I cross each thing off my list that I want it to do, I like it more and more, but FM makes a good point about my short attention span. :p

This really complements my BlackBerry well serving as a weekend phone. I can see why people are snatching the iPhone up and raving about it.

NINO63004
03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Quill...I think you should get this on your iPhone.

http://selectroclash.wordpress.com/2007/07/03/iphone-magic-tricks-how-do-they-do-it/

When I saw this I really wanted to get an iPhone.

Nino

Dave B.
03-10-2008, 11:16 AM
No offense to ya Johnny, but its sort of frustrating when people say "oh, I typed on it using a friends and I didnt like it". Again, not trying to be rude, but you really need to use it for atleast a week or two in order for it to learn your words and correct your common mistakes. I will agree that it would be much better if you could type out messages in landscape mode, but I actually like how it is now and I've (believe it or not) gotten faster typing on the iPhone than I was on my Sidekicks and Helio Ocean. Again though, if you make a mistake on an actual QWERTY you gotta go back and correct it, with the iPhone it'll fix your mistakes for you.

Thanks Bida! I was confused when I went to webclips.us from my iPhone. I was thinking, "where in the hell am I suppose to get this mysterious code from?" LOL I got some cool web clips set up. I do like your SU one though, where did you find it?

Quill, what do you think of the iPhone keyboard?

Basically what I did was save the SprintUsers banner in the top left and crop out the phone icon. Saved the cropped image and just uploaded that to webclip.us
Again, you can use any picture you want as a webclip to any website so...

Quill
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
I agree with Bida, the iPhone keyboard takes some time to use before one can really decide if they like it, and really the keyboard is fine. The software is what's great about it. The iPhone is pretty smart and learns quickly. It learned all my typical curse words and phrases. :p It also takes time for your brain to realize the iPhone is not as dumb as most other phone's predictive text entry systems. Just type. Don't overthink it.

I definitely will have to mess with Web Clips tonight. I think after the Gonzaga-USD game I'll mess around with ringers, too.

Bida, have you tried SwirlyMMS?

johnny hotsauce
03-10-2008, 12:25 PM
No offense to ya Johnny, but its sort of frustrating when people say "oh, I typed on it using a friends and I didnt like it". Again, not trying to be rude, but you really need to use it for atleast a week or two in order for it to learn your words and correct your common mistakes. I will agree that it would be much better if you could type out messages in landscape mode, but I actually like how it is now and I've (believe it or not) gotten faster typing on the iPhone than I was on my Sidekicks and Helio Ocean. Again though, if you make a mistake on an actual QWERTY you gotta go back and correct it, with the iPhone it'll fix your mistakes for you.

No offense taken at all as I wasn't flaming the iPhone and just giving an opinion as I'm not a fanboy of WM or any device for that fact and don't feel the need to bash the iPhone but actually praise it because I'm very impressed with it. As I mentioned many times in the past, I really do like the iPhone and think it's an incredible piece of harware and very innovative. I think the iPhone is going to change the future of dumb and smartphones going forward. It's not often that a company gets something right on the first go with a new device and Apple definitely got this one right IMO.

What's mainly holding me back from getting an iPhone in the near future? The main answer is SERO (you can't argue with $30/mo for the same plan as the $60 iPhone plan for a guy on a budget contolled by his wife..LOL), the other reason is waiting for either the 2.0 update which will enable the iPhone to be a fully blown smartphone for the business side of me and maybe holding out for the 2nd generation model for when it gets 3G but who knows when that will officially happen as opposed to knowing that 2.0 is offically not that far around the corner.

Regarding the iPhone's keyboard, I had the same reaction with using the keyboards on the HTC Touch as I mentioned about the keyboard on the iPhone, the difference for me is that I owned the Touch when I had that reaction and didn't play with it previously since none of the Sprint stores near me carried a working display model or even carry the device in the store at all as opposed to testing it out on my cousin's phone like I did with the iPhone. I was able to upgrade to an application based keyboard that I like much better than the stock ones that came with the HTC Touch that works in landscape mode as well as portrait. The Touch will also auto correct typo's and has predictive text as well but I have the predictive disabled because I just simply hate using it no matter what device I'm on but I have do have auto-correct on for spelling errors.

I also feel your same frustration when people just flame the touchscreen keyboard options on the HTC Touch as well because one needs to give that device about a week or two as well to adjust to an on screen keyboard as opposed to a physical one. A lot of people get the device on faith thinking the touchscreen keyboard is as good if not better than a real one, play with it for a day or two and then send it back because they can't get used to the keyboard without giving it a fair shake and just end up getting a Mogul and then complain about the memory issues it has so either way they're not happy.

Right now I type pretty decent on my Touch after getting used to it and I'm sure I'd have the same learning curve and adjustment period for the iPhone as well since I'm not one to give up easily on something. If it makes you feel better, I did feel the iPhone's keyboard was much better than what I had on the Touch orginally, until I updraded to the SPB Full Screen keyboard but I had to pay $10 for a keyboard as opposed to having a decent one from the get go such as the iPhone has.

We cool? :waycool:

Quill
03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I haven't played with a live Touch so I can't make any comparisons but any new keyboard set up takes time to adjust to no matter what in my experience. :)

johnny hotsauce
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't played with a live Touch so I can't make any comparisons but any new keyboard set up takes time to adjust to no matter what in my experience. :)

It's a pretty decent device for a WM PPC and very responsive thanks to the processor and increased memory that most other WM devices don't have. I wouldn't call it the end all of WM devices or an iPhone killer but so far I don't have any major complaints but WM is what it is, an OS that you have to tweak to get it the way you want it and not in a good way, LOL.

The Touchscreen in general isn't half bad either on the Touch, I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be. I will say though that the iPhone wins in both the touchscreen and OS department IMO.

Even though I only spent about a half hour playing with my cousin's iPhone I felt it did everything smoother than WM does and his iPhone is stock with no tweaks, hacks or customization what so ever. The iPhone just works right out of the box which is one of the big reasons it's so popular and a good reason at that.

When 2.0 comes out, I think MS should worry a little bit since the iPhone will then be able to do anything a WM device can and more. I'm also sure that with the SDK's that developers will make additional keyboards for the iPhone that will appeal to those that don't want to give the stock one a fair shake.

These are just my impartial objective opinions though and that's how I prefer to be :tu:

Quill
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Knowing the dev community there's probably a couple keyboard apps for jailbroken iPhones out there. I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

I had five WM phones in a seven month period and I really can not even think of getting another one after using the iPhone.

rennyn
03-10-2008, 12:59 PM
After using a Blackberry, PPC6700, Touch and iPhone...

Nothing comes close in speed to the iPhone keyboard. I have no idea how fast I type but it is insane. Whenever I get going on a long text or an email and those little clicks start going I get some odd looks sometimes as people wonder what the heck I'm doing.

johnny hotsauce
03-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Knowing the dev community there's probably a couple keyboard apps for jailbroken iPhones out there. I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me.

I had five WM phones in a seven month period and I really can not even think of getting another one after using the iPhone.

You'll really never want to go back to WM when 2.0 is available if you use your iPhone for any business purpsoses.

Quill
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
You'll really never want to go back to WM when 2.0 is available if you use your iPhone for any business purpsoses.

We use Kerio WebMail so I don't really think 2.0 is going to make much of a difference as far as e-mail. I can't remember all the other spiffy business things but since we don't have an exchange server most of the stuff doesn't mean much to me from what I can tell.

I haven't figured out how to set up my work e-mail yet on the iPhone. It's probably just a matter of getting the right settings from our IT people and putting them in correctly.

That's on the To Do list for the iPhone. Just slowly working toward that. My next step is to make ringers. Then I'll tackle e-mail and maybe the WebClips idea Bida was showing off earlier. :D

Dave B.
03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Quill, SwirlyMMS is an app for jailbroken iPhones, correct? Currently my iPhone isnt jailbroke. I was highly considering, but was holding out for the SDK news and now that its dropped and I know apps/games are right around the corner I've decided not to jailbreak. From what I hear it has some small quirks but for the most part works great, especially for an app that adds something our phone should have. If I did jailbreak my phone I would have the app for sure!

Johnny, I totally agree with everything you said about the iPhones keyboard (and Touch's for that matter). Again, when I say I get annoyed about people saying "oh I typed on the iPhones keyboard at the AT&T store and it sucked" I was more referring to all the clowns over at the Helio forums and everywhere else. People will go to some far lengths to make the iPhone sound bad.

Back to Quill (sorry I keep getting distracted while typing this post)...
Ringers are truthfully far easier to get on the iPhone than you might think.

I use the iTunes ringtone hack, the one I talked about earlier in this post where you convert the mp3 to AAC, then cut down the song in iTunes, put it on your desktop, rename it from m4a to m4r and put it back into iTunes.

Here's some quick directions, look under post #6

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334081&highlight=ringtones

If that doesnt help too much just search 'ringtones' in HowardForums under the Apple board and there's plenty of posts about it.
There's also a website I've heard many people talk about and I even think you mentioned it earlier. Not exactly sure what the name of it is, something like iRinger.net but from what I've read it works exceptionally well.

Quill
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I was thinking of taking the clips I've downloaded from a ringer share site that are already trimmed down (30 to 45 seconds) and using those as I have those on a memory card for use on my BlackBerry.

I may try one of them ringer upload sites I've read about. I'm not sure yet. I'll figure it out later.

I'm sure the whole converting, moving, cutting and all that is easy but to my brain it sounds too complicated. LOL.

I have found a few online that I have downloaded but I just want to move the ringers I have on my other phones onto the iPhone. I'll get there. :D

Bida, I apologize, I keep forgetting your iPhone is not jailbroken. I downloaded Swirly yesterday but haven't messed with it yet. I wonder if MMS will ever be enabled on the iPhone. I'd rather do that. I remember what a pain the MMS hack was on the Mogul ... then again nothing has been a pain on the iPhone yet as far as workarounds. LOL. Very different than WM.

Quill
03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
OK. Ringers? Check! I used the iRinger software to convert the ringers I had on my Curve's microSD card and now I have all the ringers I wanted in my iTunes and on my iPod. So now I just need to set caller ID ringers for the folks who get them in my phone book. But, iRinger saved me a bunch of time and trouble, took about five minutes to convert all my ringers.

So, what was I gonna mess with next? :p

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I know this is a little off topic from what is already being discussed but thought I would drop this in here since we were talking about cases and what not before.

http://www.decalgirl.com/

that site has some cool skins and they come with a matching wallpaper to make it look like its all one thing.

Just thought I would put that in there :). I have a picture of it on a Zune if you want to see.

Nino

Quill
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Ah, yeah, Nino, I saw those in the red phone club thread. I had checked out decalgirl.com before for my BB but never realized they provided matching wallpapers. That's bad ass.

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Ah, yeah, Nino, I saw those in the red phone club thread. I had checked out decalgirl.com before for my BB but never realized they provided matching wallpapers. That's bad ass.

Yeah I thought it was sweet. I kinda want to get one for my zune not sure yet.

Nino

Dave B.
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Thats actually really cool, I might just have to grip some of those for my phone. Its too bad you can't somehow upload your own pics and get a custom one done. Guess that wouldnt really work since they provide the background and all. But if I could get one with a Red Wings logo tilted upwards, oh man would I be in love!

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Thats actually really cool, I might just have to grip some of those for my phone. Its too bad you can't somehow upload your own pics and get a custom one done. Guess that wouldnt really work since they provide the background and all. But if I could get one with a Red Wings logo tilted upwards, oh man would I be in love!

For some of the products you can download a template and design your own but not all of them obviously. I would love to have an iPhone right now just b/c I am bored and what to customize my phone lol.

Nino

viperboy
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Quill, only your thread could be this long about getting a new phone :D

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 09:38 PM

It is a sexy phone though.

Nino

viperboy
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
It is a sexy phone though.

Nino

True... But still lol

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
True... But still lol

lol yeah

Nino

johnny hotsauce
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I know this is a little off topic from what is already being discussed but thought I would drop this in here since we were talking about cases and what not before.

http://www.decalgirl.com/

that site has some cool skins and they come with a matching wallpaper to make it look like its all one thing.

Just thought I would put that in there :). I have a picture of it on a Zune if you want to see.

Nino

That's just freakin' cool! Thanks for posting this Nino.

viperboy
03-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Yea, he pointed me over there for my Pearl. Damn NINO is gonna make me spend all of 6 dollars there!

NINO63004
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM

No problem :)

Yea, he pointed me over there for my Pearl. Damn NINO is gonna make me spend all of 6 dollars there!

well its more like $9-$10 with tax and shipping lol

Nino

Quill
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM

LOL. I was wondering earlier how my iPhone thread got so long. And only one hater *coughcoughfloormattcoughcough* to boot. :D

Of all the new phones I've posted about in here this thread is definitely the longest by a long shot.

But, I'm enjoying talking about it.

rennyn
03-10-2008, 10:29 PM
FloorMatt just hates it because if he shows any interest in the iPhone FloorPDA will up and leave him!

FloorMatt
03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
FloorMatt just hates it because if he shows any interest in the iPhone FloorPDA will up and leave him!

That's so true. :( ACK! He's looking at me right now. :ohcrap:

johnny hotsauce
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Quill, here's a fun toy for you to play with on your iPhone :D

http://www.zdziarski.com/papers/dualboot.html

Dave B.
03-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Quill, here's a fun toy for you to play with on your iPhone :D

http://www.zdziarski.com/papers/dualboot.html
thats too much reading, im lazy. whats it do?

NINO63004
03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
thats too much reading, im lazy. whats it do?

I think it lets you dual boot different firmwares.

Engadget Mobile (http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/03/13/iphone-dual-boot-solution-surfaces-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/)

click the link above to see a easier shorter read.

Nino

DaRtH CrAtHeN
03-14-2008, 12:41 AM
I want one so bad, but I won't pull the trigger until I know if it will support 3G or not. The rumor mill says 2.0 firmware will enable it, but I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

Jake
03-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I want one so bad, but I won't pull the trigger until I know if it will support 3G or not. The rumor mill says 2.0 firmware will enable it, but I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see.

Unfortunately, 3G support can't be added via software update. Apple said the 3G version will be out this year, but it has to be in the hardware.

johnny hotsauce
03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately, 3G support can't be added via software update. Apple said the 3G version will be out this year, but it has to be in the hardware.

That's what I'm waiting for before I consider pulling the trigger on one. Leaving SERO would also but a very tough choice as well, that $30 plan is just hard to justify doubling or tripling.... If I can get an employer to foot the wireless bill than that's a different story :D

Quill
03-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Good luck with that, johnny. ;)

But, yes, I've heard everything from June to fourth quarter for the 3G iPhone. It will have to be an entirely new hardware release since the 3G radios have to be built in.

The 2.0 firmware update will add features that businesses have asked for as well as access to the AppStore through iTunes that will allow users to download officially sanctioned third-party applications for the iPhone developed using the officially sanctioned SDK. Woo and stuff. So software updates, yay. ;)

I'm an at&t customer and it took a confluence of significant events for me to pull the trigger. I expect it would be that much more difficult for a customer from another carrier that's happy with their current service/plan to jump to the iPhone. :)

Versed
03-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Quill, was thinking of getting another iPhone for my kids to use, one of the refurbs the local AT&T Corp stores are selling for $250.00, then jailbreak and simunlock it so they can use their present AT&T sims in it.
But like you, might just wait and get the 3g iPhone if it comes out this summer. And just give them my present one.

Quill
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
That is a tempting offer for ya, Versed ... I think I'll give (well, sell, she won't let me give it to her) my present iPhone to my sister in law when the 3G iPhone comes out.

It's too bad the $250 refurb iPhones are only available in the NE. She'd be all over that. Then she could have her very own now. :p

johnny hotsauce
03-14-2008, 12:44 PM
There's always this option but personally I'd rather spend the $50 more and just go brand new.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=44BD9AA3&nclm=Certified%20iPhone

DaRtH CrAtHeN
03-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah my only problem with the IPhone is going from PV back to EDGE would drive me crazy. I know the IPhone has wifi but with the amount of traveling I do it just wouldn't be worth it. Switching carriers wouldn't ne a problem for me since the lovely US Government pays my cell bill so if I moved from the Sprint unlimited plan to the unlimited plan for the IPhone it would not be an issue. I just wish they had originally released them for 3G because I would already have one. Oh well... have to wait for the new one I guess.

Rachel
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM
damn! i am wanting a iphone now after reading this thread :lol: and i already have a centro and a pearl !

Quill
03-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Heh, Rachel, sorry! I know how it is to never feel satisfied. :p

Darth_Crathen, it sounds like it would be best for you to wait, sometimes with electronics it's not a bad idea. You might get a better price on the phone and with 3G the iPhone would be that much better. Though I do really like wifi. :)

johnny hotsauce
03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Heh, Rachel, sorry! I know how it is to never feel satisfied. :p

I'm leaving that alone... In regards to the iPhone of course ;)

Quill
03-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm leaving that alone... In regards to the iPhone of course ;)

Just don't tell Ronkh or josh33_unc and we should be fine.

Never satisfied with phones ... it's a curse. :p But I am a phone whore.

Not helping myself, here, am I?

johnny hotsauce
03-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Not helping myself, here, am I?

Nope, not really. :D

DaRtH CrAtHeN
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Nope, not really. :D

+1 on that...
:laughing:

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.