PDA

View Full Version : Can't receive text messages from Verizon

heythisisnate
12-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I recently added a new line of service to my account for my girlfriend and bought her a new Centro. She loves everything about the phone so far, except for one major problem. She cannot receive text messages from any Verizon phone.

It appears that Verizon thinks that her new number is a landline phone, because (as her Verizon friends have shown us), when a Verizon user tries to send a text to her number, they get the following message back: "415912XXXX is a landline #. Reply Y to send all TXT messages to this # as voice messages for $0.25/msg. + std msg fee. Details @ vtext.com, TexttoLandline"

So, we've both called Sprint several times about this. On one call to technical support I was on the phone for over an hour while the tech looked up a bunch of useless information in various systems ... it seemed like she didn't know what she was doing. Ultimately, she created a support ticket ... we waited over a week and the support team called back claiming that the problem was fixed.

Well ... you guessed it ... problem was not fixed and she still can't receive texts from Verizon. Sending texts is no problem. Has anybody heard of this before? What can we do to resolve it?

The phone number was not ported from any other carrier, as far as I know it was a new number assigned randomly (I just asked for a 415 area code).

Thanks for any help.

PIN Required
12-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi there!

By the sound of it, Sprint is not at fault. If the number was randomly generated (as most new activations) then it should come from the Wireless Numbering Pool. There's this little chance of an NPA split in the 415 area code. But nevertheless, any network WILL still recognize the number and can receive SMS.

Verizon obviously can not recognize the number and no matter what Sprint Customer Care or Tech Support does, it is of no avail since Sprint's system is not responsible for the error. What I would recommend though are a few basic troubleshooting steps to help you out. Below are the details:

1. Log on to Sprint.com or by using your phone, and try to send a test SMS to the number 415912XXXX. If the recipient receives the message, then you don't have a problem with our network.

2. Check if the phone (not the plan) has Blocking SMS Text Messages capability. To do that sign on to My PCS. Select My Online Tools > Text Messaging > Settings and Preferences. You will find the option in the section entitled "For SMS Text Messaging Only". Check if any of the senders are blocked.

3. Check the phone capability. Review the user guide that came with the phone. If you misplaced or lost your copy or if you dont have one, you can view a PDF version at Sprint.com. Check if the phone is 1-way or 2-way SMS capable, view restrictions as well.

4. Ask your friends serviced by Verizon to try to send an SMS "with" the area code and "without" the area code. When sending SMS to mobile devices, an area code is important otherwise messages are sent but not delivered.

Hope this helps!

heythisisnate
12-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Dear PIN Required,

Thanks for your suggestions ... but i think you are misunderstanding the problem. The phone has no problem receiving text messages from other Sprint users, A&TT/Cingular users, or web-based SMS gateways ... it's just Verizon people that cant send texts to this number. My point is that her phone can send and receive texts just fine ... but Verizon for some reason won't let them through.

So, if it's not Sprint's "fault", how the heck do I get Verizon or whoever else to fix it? I suppose as a last resort I can ask Sprint to give her a new number, but that would just be a pain.

Thanks again.

Felecity
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Dear PIN Required,

Thanks for your suggestions ... but i think you are misunderstanding the problem. The phone has no problem receiving text messages from other Sprint users, A&TT/Cingular users, or web-based SMS gateways ... it's just Verizon people that cant send texts to this number. My point is that her phone can send and receive texts just fine ... but Verizon for some reason won't let them through.

So, if it's not Sprint's "fault", how the heck do I get Verizon or whoever else to fix it? I suppose as a last resort I can ask Sprint to give her a new number, but that would just be a pain.

Thanks again.

Is it just that one specific Verizon customer that she is not able to receive them from?

The previous reply was a good one; the fault is NOT on the Sprint side.
You have several options... the area code IS required for a text to be received. If the number is so new, you can try a number change and it could take care of the problem.
Or, you can have her send a text to the Verizon and have the other customer respond and see if they are still getting the same error.

Is the other phone that she is texting have the same area code? (Not sure if that was covered)

gregsandiego
04-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I have a similar problem. Recently I noticed friends on Verizon send me texts I never receive. They get no error message.
Sprint is working on it, and I started receiving text messages from Verizon but not 100% . I have one friend whose messages to me don't always make it. So Sprint wants that person to contact Verizon. Sprint network engineers don't seem willing to really do the details to find the root cause.

ryu hayabusa
04-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a similar problem. Recently I noticed friends on Verizon send me texts I never receive. They get no error message.
Sprint is working on it, and I started receiving text messages from Verizon but not 100% . I have one friend whose messages to me don't always make it. So Sprint wants that person to contact Verizon. Sprint network engineers don't seem willing to really do the details to find the root cause.

I have verizon and sprint and have no problems sending between the two. Whenever you get on the phone with tech support they shuld have been able to resolve this issue. But YOU DO have to spend about an hour with them minimum. Thats typical with any tech support, given that they read from a script and they have to find out what the problem is and get to the bottom of it. The messages that are trying to be sent - are they regular text messages or are they pictures or animations, cause that does mean something, Sprint doesnt support animations, and certain picture mail cant come through.

gregsandiego
04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
It is just a regular text. Sprint techs told me it is not possible for them to obtain a Verizon phone and do any testing themselves. That seems really stupid.

I've been asking multiple people on Verizon to send me text messages. So far I've found about 4 people that don't always make it through.

swinsett
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
My husband (on Verizon) used to text me (on Sprint) all the time. About a week ago it quit working (he does NOT get an error or bounceback). I can SEND to everyone (including my husband and other Verizon numbers) and I can RECEIVE from everyone (EXCEPT from my husband and other Verizon numbers).

NOTHING changed on my phone/plan/service and NOTHING changed on my husbands phone/plan/service.

He has called Verizon and they said it is not on their end, I have tried to call Sprint (but it is a work phone/account) and need to have my boss call (I am working on that).

Is anyone else still having this issue?

Thanks for any help, ideas, suggestions!

jasonb
08-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I am haveing the same problem and just spent 2-1/2 hours with tech support. They have generated another (2nd one) work order to look into the problem. However, they are saying it is suspect to be Verizon. I too have spokent to Verizon and they are saying it is Sprint. So...I have to wait another 2-3 days to find out what Sprint tech says.

j

swinsett
08-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Jason,
Thank you so much for responding, I am going to call Sprint back and let them know I am not the only one with this issue and maybe they will help me! I will let you know if I get any useful info from them...
S.

jasonb
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
S,
Thank you and if I get any answers on my end I will be sure to let you know too.

j

timwinmac
08-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I have the same problem! I got a new Blackberry Tour from sprint about a month ago, but about a week ago I stopped receiving texts from all Verizon customers! This is about 90% of my friends!!! I just left for college and have no other line to call sprint to try to fix the problem. It is insanely frustrating. I can't keep in touch with all my friends back home through text anymore or talk to new people w/ verizon. Idk what I can do but I'm hoping someone has found a fix cause it looks like I'm not the only one w/ this problem. Please let me kno if someone finds a solution!!!!

jasonb
09-03-2009, 10:35 PM
After talking with sprint / blackberry tech support and verizon the problem "HAS BEEN FIXED" My advise is to stay on top of tech support and work with spring and verizon. Ask for management as there is clearly a solution.

I hope this helps...if I can gather anymore info I will pass it on..

savo78
09-05-2009, 09:18 AM
My wife and I have encountered this same problem. I was starting to think it was her specific phone, the Rant, as my phone, Instinct, has no problem getting verizon texts. Her phone can send them but not receive them. We've talked to tech support, tried every update, reset, and whatever else they suggested and nothing has worked. They finally sent her a new phone. We activated it last night and it STILL DOES NOT get verizon texts.
It sounds like we all started noticing this problem around the same time. It's been about 3-4 weeks since she got verizon texts.
If anyone finds a solution, PLEASE POST IT. I'll be calling tech support again today...

savo78
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
My wife and I have encountered this same problem. I was starting to think it was her specific phone, the Rant, as my phone, Instinct, has no problem getting verizon texts. Her phone can send them but not receive them. We've talked to tech support, tried every update, reset, and whatever else they suggested and nothing has worked. They finally sent her a new phone. We activated it last night and it STILL DOES NOT get verizon texts.
It sounds like we all started noticing this problem around the same time. It's been about 3-4 weeks since she got verizon texts.
If anyone finds a solution, PLEASE POST IT. I'll be calling tech support again today...

And my update for today is that after speaking with both Verizon and Sprint technical support, they both claim it's the other carrier (go figure). I guess there is some common gateway where all texts go when exchanged by carriers and Sprint tells me they can't see any of the verizon messages there. They're telling me that the texts must have never made it there so it's verizon's problem. Verizon tells me that since they see no error messages on their side, it must be Sprint's problem. This is a nightmare...

savo78
09-05-2009, 04:51 PM
After talking with sprint / blackberry tech support and verizon the problem "HAS BEEN FIXED" My advise is to stay on top of tech support and work with spring and verizon. Ask for management as there is clearly a solution.

I hope this helps...if I can gather anymore info I will pass it on..

hey jasonb - would you happen to have a ticket or work order # I can reference when I call Sprint again? maybe they can look that up to find the problem/solution???

logic88
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Weird. This just happened to me. After getting texts from my friend on Verizon for long time, I stopped getting them about two weeks ago. Very annoying.

Did this ever get fixed for anyone and if so, what are the steps needed?

Thanks.

brianmclaren
12-18-2010, 07:06 AM
I am NOT a Sprint user, but this same thing happens to me. Sprint people who text my phone number either get an error message or don't get anything, but in either situation their text is never received by my phone. Now the weird part... I got this phone number originally when I was with Sprint a dozen years ago. I've since changed carriers several times and with each different carrier, (T mobile, Cingular, AT&T, MetroPCS) the result is the same... people with a sprint phone can't seem to text message my phone number. Since I'm not a Sprint customer, they say they can't help me. Any advice aside from getting a new phone number after having the same one for 15 years?

Duffman
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Answered in the thread you created...

Handyman_TREO
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Looks like it is time to call your state's Public Utilities Commission and report the problem, expressing that neither Verizon nor Sprint have been able to resolve this issue. Include all transcripts (or include dates and discussions with Sprint & Verizon in your communication).

logic88
12-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I ended up creating a Google Voice account and forwarding the texts to my phone. A bit of a hack and it doesn't support MMS but at least I can communicate now with Verizon users.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.