PDA

View Full Version : How to get MSL number when Sprint won't give it out?

ooshnoo
12-20-2007, 12:46 PM
I've asked Sprint to provide me with the MSL number to my Mogul so I can change the Slot Index Cycle, and they won't give it me stating that it's against their policies, yet they don't want to provide that policy to me in writing.

Is there any other way to get the MSL?

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

ink718
12-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Tell them you want to do a ESN swap?

BrettW
12-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I've asked Sprint to provide me with the MSL number to my Mogul so I can change the Slot Index Cycle, and they won't give it me stating that it's against their policies, yet they don't want to provide that policy to me in writing.

Is there any other way to get the MSL?

Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

first you made a huge mistake

yeh dont tell them what you plan to do.... changing the SCI to a lower interval puts more stress on the towers, you tell a rep that they will shoot you down every time,

secondly

call tech support they are easy to get a MSL from, just say you would like to reset phone using ##786# and they will give it to you, OR say you would like to re-provision your data and need the 6 digit code, dont refer to it as a msl try to act dumb

slick69
12-20-2007, 01:37 PM
It really depends... I got a great guy in CS once who gave me all the MSL's I needed, I told him I just wanted to have that information. Didn't say I was going to disable NAI or anything like that.

ooshnoo
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
call tech support they are easy to get a MSL from, just say you would like to reset phone using ##786# and they will give it to you, OR say you would like to re-provision your data and need the 6 digit code, dont refer to it as a msl try to act dumb

Gotcha Brett. Thanks!

Dan
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Sprint had no problem giving me the MSL on a old phone from my account, so I could give it to a person using another CDMA provider.

Most reps are gonna question you as to why you need it for a phone that is active on your account. Saying that the phone no longer has its number programmed in it will generally get you the MSL code and programming instructions.

pixielee
12-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I found this article - dont know if it will help ya :

HOW TO GET YOUR SPC or MLS CODE from a QWEST/SPRINT 6800 MOGUL easily
Found the post at ppcgeeks which worked excellent for me in getting my spc or mls code

Someone want to verify a different way to get MSL?
I was playing about with my Sprint Mogul and found a couple of ways to get your MSL... They basically both get it the same way, just take different routes to get there.

Two different ways to get MSL:

Method A:

* Change the following registry entries in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HTC\ATDbgLog
Enable: 1
LogMode: 1
* Wait a reasonable amount of time and soft-reset (I have noticed that it seems to take longer for this value to take affect, so if you reboot and the registry values are not changed, then you need to do it again and wait longer)
* Check to see that the file \Temp\ATDbg0.txt has been created.
* Return the values back to what they were (most likely 0) waiting the same amount of time as above.
* Look in the ATDbg0.txt file and you should see a log of commands sent to the CDMA radio and there should be something like this somewhere in the file:

Code:

11:9:3 Tx:AT+HTC_RMSL=0\r
11:9:3 Rx:+HTC_RMSL: 354201\r\n0\r
11:9:3 Tx:AT+HTC_ROTKSL=0\r
11:9:3 Rx:+HTC_ROTKSL: 216112\r\n0\r

* The numbers next to the Rx: +HTC_RMSL line should be your MSL... I do not know what the ROTKSL is for, but included it in the snippet incase someone knows.

Method B:

* Start your favorite pocket-pc terminal program (like pocketPutty - http://www.pocketputty.net/)
* Connect to com9 (Putty used default speed of 9600)
* type in AT+HTC_RMSL=0 and hit enter, your MSL will be displayed.
* Soft reset to restore phone functionality

BrucePDA
12-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Both seem like a lot of work when a call to tech support will get it for you.

ooshnoo
12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
I found this article - dont know if it will help ya

I had just found that article Alyxx, and was about to post my findings... it works!

Thanks!

knytphal
12-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Look for an app called getspc in this thread (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=5531&highlight=getspc) over at ppcgeeks. I'm not sure which post it's in, but that's what I used to get my msl code. You just need to copy the app over to your phone, execute it, enter your ESN (hex, upper case) and there you go!

EDIT: Looks like it's in post #42.

chibby
12-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, please don`t flame me. I am somewhat new to cdma and Sprint but what can I do with the msl and what`s NAI ?

AndrewAZ
12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok, please don`t flame me. I am somewhat new to cdma and Sprint but what can I do with the msl and what`s NAI ?

Basically turning NAI off turns your network identification off when using data so you can use your phone as a modem without getting charged for that. Its against the policy and is in my view stealing.

You can edit things under the phone that require the MSL but nothing anyone should be messing with unless you have something in mind you want to do and know how to do it.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.