PDA

View Full Version : Trouble w/ local tower.. How to get help?

marknmichigan
10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Have had a problem recently with the local sprint tower to my home. I know where it is, thanks to the business portion of Sprint's site that tells where the towers are.

Sometimes about 11pm the signal goes to NOTHING, and I'm left with "looking for service". Last night it happened for an hour..

If I call Sprint, will they even be able to fix it? Or will I get nothing but excuses? I live in Michigan and I think iPCS (affliate) owns the sprint towers in michigan.. please help let me know how I can get Sprint to fix this tower..

Spyder78
10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Where in Michigan do you live?

larry
10-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Have had a problem recently with the local sprint tower to my home. I know where it is, thanks to the business portion of Sprint's site that tells where the towers are.

Sometimes about 11pm the signal goes to NOTHING, and I'm left with "looking for service". Last night it happened for an hour..

If I call Sprint, will they even be able to fix it? Or will I get nothing but excuses? I live in Michigan and I think iPCS (affliate) owns the sprint towers in michigan.. please help let me know how I can get Sprint to fix this tower..

After 11PM is routine maintenance time for towers. They often take them off the air to make adjustments and things. It is normal.

marknmichigan
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
live in lansing michigan..

larry.. so basically if it was 1am or 11pm, and it goes down, it's maintenance? well it sure seems to be happening ALOT!

Footballfan
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
After 11PM is routine maintenance time for towers. They often take them off the air to make adjustments and things. It is normal.

Maintenance window is normally 1am to 5am. However if your in an affiliate market and the tower in question is a rural site meaning that its not very busy they might wilt the site at 11....We have been told absolutely NO service impacting maintenance outside the maintenance window. But like i said...if its an affiliate market...

Footballfan
10-26-2006, 06:23 PM

If they are doing maintenance on it, they are doing it late at night because that is when there is less traffic. They have to do it SOMETIME and by doing these procedures they can diagnose and repair problems that can improve service.

larry
10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
live in lansing michigan..

larry.. so basically if it was 1am or 11pm, and it goes down, it's maintenance? well it sure seems to be happening ALOT!

Yes I've seen it happen a lot here in So. Cal. Usually it's right after 12AM when it happens.

Spyder78
10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Still waiting to know where you live so that I can see what tower you are talking about. What business application side of the website shows iPCS towers?

james2K
10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Lansing is not in the IPCS market....that's the corporate owned "Detroit" market

This is why you can see the towers

reemusk
10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
you should call sprint and have them open a ticket

larry
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Sometimes people think that just because they find a tower close to their home on those maps that Sprint provides that it must be the one that serves them. But that's not always the case. As we know CDMA technology provides for the phone to communicate with multiple cell sites at the same time. In addition it is also very common to pick up a signal from a tower that's further away. With obstructions, terrain, capacity, direction of panels, and other factors it's hard to know which site you're feeding off of.

pdx77
10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
you should call sprint and have them open a ticket

oh like that's going to do any good :) They are slow at fixing things like tower issues, 1/2 the time the ticket probably doesn't even get passed onto the correct people.

larry
10-27-2006, 05:40 PM
oh like that's going to do any good :) They are slow at fixing things like tower issues, 1/2 the time the ticket probably doesn't even get passed onto the correct people.

It would have to get escalated at least 3 times before it reaches the local level. That's not very likely to happen.

reemusk
10-27-2006, 06:58 PM

i have had my tower issues resolved quickly each time (twice).

larry
10-28-2006, 02:29 AM
i have had my tower issues resolved quickly each time (twice).

Probably just a coincidence. Would have been fixed whether you called or not. The network operations dept. knows when their towers are down or having issues. An alarm goes off and they try to find a fix for it as soon as they can. Outages that occur on weekends are the ones that might have the longest wait time to fix.

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.