PDA

View Full Version : When did sprint change their upgrade program to 24 months?

preacherbass
06-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I have not been on this forum for sometime now but I just noticed that sprint changed their upgrade program from 18 months to 24 months for the $150 rebate w/2 year contract. I bought my A900 back in December 2005 and as far as I know it was 18 months untill I can get another phone at the $150 rebate. Since this changed after my purchase of the A900, do they still have to honor the 18 months?

leaving_ash
06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I think it was september '05 and as your last phn was purchased in December then you are looking at 24months.

YPG
06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
But if you call them and explain that no one explained to you that the rebate program had changed when you last purchased your phone, they can/usually will add a service credit for $75 in addition to the $75 IR, after you hit the 18 month mark, to make you happy.
Just call up and say 'Cancel Service' ;)

Dragonman
06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (Treo 650: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

The big difference was the rebate Used to be a Mail-in. The new program gives INSTANT rebates.

Moogle
06-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay... This might not be wanted here, but...

<Rant>

Sprint's Upgrade Program SUCKS... They have one of the highest churn rates in the industry (something like 2.5%...) versus Verizon (who has one of the lowest churn rates at ~0.5%).

This big disparity in churn rates is directly related to the upgrade program... If I recall, Verizon will give existing customers the new customer rate PLUS extra money off every 2 years (Last I checked it was New Customer Rate + up to $100 off; For instance, the LG 8100 is $49.99 after rebates and 2-year contract discounts. The existing customer would receive that phone for free.)

Frankly, I think that shows that Verizon is VERY interested in keeping their existing customers. This is contrary to Sprint, who for the longest time wouldn't even allow existing customers to have the same prices on phones as new customers!

</Rant>

rennyn
06-04-2006, 01:09 AM
This big disparity in churn rates is directly related to the upgrade program... If I recall, Verizon will give existing customers the new customer rate PLUS extra money off every 2 years (Last I checked it was New Customer Rate + up to $100 off; For instance, the LG 8100 is $49.99 after rebates and 2-year contract discounts. The existing customer would receive that phone for free.)

Absolutely correct. I wish Sprint would do this. A few years back when I upgraded to my VX8000 I actually got it for free after a small $50 mail in rebate. New customer price was about $150 if I recall correctly, at the time it was definitely one of their higher end phones outside of PDAs.

dm33
06-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Okay... This might not be wanted here, but...

<Rant>

Sprint's Upgrade Program SUCKS... They have one of the highest churn rates in the industry (something like 2.5%...) versus Verizon (who has one of the lowest churn rates at ~0.5%).

Frankly, I think that shows that Verizon is VERY interested in keeping their existing customers. This is contrary to Sprint, who for the longest time wouldn't even allow existing customers to have the same prices on phones as new customers!

</Rant>

<Rant>Verizon sucks. I was on a 14 day trial. They couldn't decide what their data plan cost. Store insisted (to the point of insulting me) that NationalAccess was free. Customer support said it was $59/mo and they disabled my access to NationalAccess after I asked. I finally said to sign me up for it, took 40 minutes on the phone for them to tell me that there was no $59/mo plan, it was $79/mo. But Quick2Net (14.4kbps) was free although their terms of service says you aren't allowed to do that. ARGH. What a screwed up mess.
So I quit the trial. Was a $40 plan for 1 week, figured it would be ~$10-20. Much to my surprise I get a bill for $260, for a 1 week trial!!! Ya. They act really interested in getting new customers, NOT! I've heard many cases where they change what they've told customers to force them to pay more after they're committed.

Now I'm back at Sprint and Sprint's PAM plan is $40/mo and supports EVDO speeds which Verizon charges either $59 or $79/mo depending on who you call, plus whatever other conditions they make up on the fly.
</Rant>

That said, I agree that Sprints upgrade program is just plain silly. I was told that the upgrade it still a REBATE. Argh! So they make me go through more hoops to get a free phone than a new customer.... when I can just as easily cancel my service and re-enroll as a new customer. They're not giving anything you couldn't already get and infact penalize their existing customers.

I'm currently out $900 for 3 phones while waiting for all sorts of promised service credits and rebates to get all the money back. What a joke. And given Sprints track record, I'm sure I won't get my money back without months of arguing with them.

youngblood1979
06-04-2006, 08:31 AM
To them u are just a small fish in a big pond.

Final
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
The upgrade program changed in July of 05, in fact if I recall it was early july, if you think its frustrating now imagine being a customer a year ago and being told yes in July you can go in and get a rebate on a new phone. Then you go in and the rep tells you sorry that just changed you have another 6 months to wait, haha that was some good times at the sprint store. I agree though the upgrade program is silly and not the best it could be, but it is what it is.

Moogle
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
<Rant>Verizon sucks. I was on a 14 day trial. They couldn't decide what their data plan cost. Store insisted (to the point of insulting me) that NationalAccess was free. Customer support said it was $59/mo and they disabled my access to NationalAccess after I asked. I finally said to sign me up for it, took 40 minutes on the phone for them to tell me that there was no $59/mo plan, it was $79/mo. But Quick2Net (14.4kbps) was free although their terms of service says you aren't allowed to do that. ARGH. What a screwed up mess.
So I quit the trial. Was a $40 plan for 1 week, figured it would be ~$10-20. Much to my surprise I get a bill for $260, for a 1 week trial!!! Ya. They act really interested in getting new customers, NOT! I've heard many cases where they change what they've told customers to force them to pay more after they're committed.

Now I'm back at Sprint and Sprint's PAM plan is $40/mo and supports EVDO speeds which Verizon charges either $59 or $79/mo depending on who you call, plus whatever other conditions they make up on the fly.
</Rant>

I don't disagree that people in the stores are variable at best. But the corporate policy is the best indicator of overall desire for existing customers. Sprint's corporate policy sucks for existing customers, Verizon's is way better.

I won't argue that the implementation of that corporate policy can be lacklustre at best, but regardless...

mjnov
06-04-2006, 12:14 PM
It was done because the rebates switched to instant, apposed to the horrible mail in rebates everyone complained about. Its a little give and take, but there will always be something to complain about.

SteelersFan
06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I found out about the 2 year vs. 18 month upgrade program back in December when I wanted to purchase a new Sanyo 8300 for my wife and get rid of her 8200. It was at the Sprint Store they told me she wasn't eligible yet and I about went postal (well, ok, I exaggerate). They said it all changed with the Nextel-Sprint merger. They told me to call Sprint and they would change it. When I called Sprint, the nice lady put in the codes on the account and I went back to the Sprint Store and all was well.

Isn't there a website that you can check out the status of how many more months it is until you can upgrade?

tel0004
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Isn't there a website that you can check out the status of how many more months it is until you can upgrade?

http://www.sprintrebates.com/track/sprintpcs/index.jsp

SprintUsers.com was created in January 2002 as a resource for users of Sprint PCS products and services to learn about and share information. We have cll phone reviews, Cellular Accessories, Downloads, PDA reviews, Ringtones, all of the latest Sprint PCS news and information, an area where you can find help in creating a ring tone or custom image for you phone, and so much more. The most popular section is the message board where visitors can read and write messages, ask questions, and get advice about their cellular phone from other users.